ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 teams in WNC regardless of classification

AC still has 2 good quality backs. They lost by 1 pt and 7 points to the number 24th and 25th overall ranked team in NC in East & West Forsyth and also lost by 1 to the number 27th ranked team overall in the state, Watauga. In comparison.. there isn't a 1A team ranked overall until you get to Mt. Airy which they are 39th. Although Robbinsville may keep it close by half time, even without their star RB.. AC would pull away with their depth and that's playing at Big Oaks. Of all the teams in the West.. I believe West Henderson would be the only ones with a shot of keeping it close. Reynolds has been the cream of the crop in WNC for over 10 years. We will see how good AC is in the west when they play TC Roberson next week. I will definitely have that game as one of the Bonus pics next week.

I know you can’t compare scores and this is also from years past but Robbinsville has had a common opponent in the Asheville Cougars with Reynolds last year and in 2021-2022. They split 1-1 with Robbinsville winning in 2021-22 45-23. Last year Robbinsville lost 26-14. Asheville beat Reynolds 6-5 in 2021 and lost to Reynolds 34-7 last year. I think it would be a good game that Robbinsville could have a good chance of winning but I do think Reynolds would win it in the 4th quarter. I don’t think Reynolds would pull away at the half.

I still think their defense is the weak side of the ball.
Disagree. I think defense is their calling card this year. It’s a really fast group with great linebackers and length in the secondary. They held Pisgah to less than 100 rushing and passing yards and most of the scores they’ve given up on the season are on reserves.

Disagree. I think defense is their calling card this year. It’s a really fast group with great linebackers and length in the secondary. They held Pisgah to less than 100 rushing and passing yards and most of the scores they’ve given up on the season are on reserves.
Agreed. It's a unique setup also with fast undersized LBs and then having the size they do hanging out in the secondary. Pisgah's offense is underachieving from it's potential, IMO, but West kept it well in check after the first drive. That first drive also required a nice little HB pass with some trickery, that hadn't been shown on tape, to keep the drive moving.

Agreed. It's a unique setup also with fast undersized LBs and then having the size they do hanging out in the secondary. Pisgah's offense is underachieving from it's potential, IMO, but West kept it well in check after the first drive. That first drive also required a nice little HB pass with some trickery, that hadn't been shown on tape, to keep the drive moving.
I agree. I assumed that opening drive was scripted anyway, which was a great gameplan by Chappell. After that West’s adjustments were just too much and although I’m not 100% sure, I think half of Pisgah’s total yardage for the game came on that opening drive. As for those linebackers, they are smaller but stout, very quick and aggressive, and above all just have a nose for the ball. They’re always making plays, one of the better linebacking groups I’ve seen in a long time.

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2023] Reynolds [A. C.] (Asheville, NC) 20 (58%), [2023] Robbinsville (NC) 17 (42%)

The Greensboro News & Record was the paper that did rank all of the teams in N.C., including the NCHSAA AND WNCHSAA when it existed.
In my opinion, at one time the best sports paper in the state. That started changing when they went to multiple issues for diff geographic circulation territories.

1. Roberson
2. West Henderson
3. Reynolds
4. Robbinsville
5. Pisgah
6. Murphy
7. Brevard
8. Swain
9. Heritage
10. Mitchell

Just like the Asheville paper put out an All-WNC meaning in their selected area.

WS Journal puts out an All-Northwest team meaning they’re coverage area from Watauga to Forsyth to Surry to Davidson County plus those areas in between like Wilkes, Yadkin, Davie, Alleghany, Stokes.
Is The WS Journal's All-Northwest team, not just a special section put out at the end of the football season picking the best players from the area school in the counties you spoke about and not picking the best schools in a particular area during the season? I am trying to remember what it actually is ? If so, we are comparing an apple to an orange. Also, Mount Airy and Alleghany are also in the western section of North Carolina if you look at a Map. After all, it is called the NWC, northwest NC conference. (Just The Northern Section of NC)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: buzzcoach
Western NC is considered the 18 western counties most of the time.
WLOS isn't as good as before but better than some places have

What is considered Western North Carolina to most.

article

Per this article, Surry County and Mt. Airy are not in Western NC like we think, but in the Central with Winston- Salem and Charlotte. Ironically, Gaston County is considered western.
Hi TD,

Hope you are well. We are in a Northwest Conference which is just a description like the ACC. We are actually in Central NC aka Piedmont or foothills. Look at the map and article in my previous post. Alleghany is in the Western section of the State.

Reactions: buzzcoach
Don't know that they would consider Alleghany as WNC if Watauga isn't on this list.
Honestly, we never hear about Alleghany or Watauga sports unless they play an AVL media covered school. Most North we typically hear about is Avery and that’s because they play in the Western Highlands Conference.

what did they do when ac reynolds was in wataugas conference not so long ago? any team along the tn boarder should be considered a wnc team geographically speaking

Is The WS Journal's All-Northwest team, not just a special section put out at the end of the football season picking the best players from the area school in the counties you spoke about and not picking the best schools in a particular area during the season? I am trying to remember what it actually is ? If so, we are comparing an apple to an orange. Also, Mount Airy and Alleghany are also in the western section of North Carolina if you look at a Map. After all, it is called the NWC, northwest NC conference. (Just The Northern Section of NC)
The WS Journal puts out their publication on Christmas Day every year. Since they, like every other newspaper, has cut their coverage area, I don’t believe they consider Mt. Airy in their coverage area any longer. I could be wrong, I have been many times before. As I have said in other threads, they don’t even cover any Winston- Salem schools on Friday nights. No scores or anything in Saturday paper.

Now with all that said, they have hired Marc Pruitt to cover HS sports in the area. He is a great newspaper guy, so hopefully hiring him they will step up their local coverage.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Dropped the WS Journal because they stopped "local" coverage (Surry/Stokes).
I dropped the Mount Airy News too several years ago. It is a fraction of what it was when I was there. I can't say anything bad about the people who work there because it is not their fault, but the advertising is not there so the parent company cut employees and the paper content. So, the question is like, did the chicken come before the egg ? Did the paper cut content and lose advertisers, or did they lose advertisers and cut content?

I dropped the Mount Airy News too several years ago. It is a fraction of what it was when I was there. I can't say anything bad about the people who work there because it is not their fault, but the advertising is not there so the parent company cut employees and the paper content. So, the question is like, did the chicken come before the egg ? Did the paper cut content and lose advertisers, or did they lose advertisers and cut content?
Internet ruined the paper.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT