ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA and the Adjusted Maxprep Ratings (Updated 9-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There could be changes with the next alignment. The NCHSAA has an interest in reducing the number of champions.

I will say if there was a change I think the best option would be to make the 1A permanently play at Wake Forest. Keep the ACC stadiums in it.

Why couldn't they set things up the week before? Identify the 16 teams playing for state titles and set the games the best they can based upon travel.

I read in an article about when Duke's stadium put back in used for state championship games according to that article the NCHSAA doesn't set the games locations until after the regional championships , I would assume so that's to match the location to the teams playing and that's why instead of both 1A's or both 2A's at the same location it's mixed up. I assume if they hadn't had to cancel the games at Wake Forest last year because of hurricane Florence when they pushed back the week to be played Wake couldn't have it that week that the Murphy game probably had been played there I would think.

There could be changes with the next alignment. The NCHSAA has an interest in reducing the number of champions.
From what I've read one main reason start a 5A conference is to reduce split conferences. That is possible there could be still 8 championship games that you'll have 32 teams in 1A and 5A and 2 3 & 4A will still be split A & AA as they are now, but it's just speculation I don't think anyone knows anything for sure.

Again, Im not complaining, just stating that the state does not end at Asheville. Id gladly go to Manteo each year for the championship game if thats where they want to play it.

I'm fine with the discrepancy.
Dont like People acting like the state ends at Asheville. You can drive west 2 hrs past Asheville.

What’s wrong with the current setup of having 1-4 and a A-AA division? To me it seems to work pretty well with football. I know other sports don’t but in football it pretty much makes the playing field pretty even and schools of the same size are the ones playing in the championship games. What would be the actual benefits of moving to 5 divisions ?

What’s wrong with the current setup of having 1-4 and a A-AA division? To me it seems to work pretty well with football. I know other sports don’t but in football it pretty much makes the playing field pretty even and schools of the same size are the ones playing in the championship games. What would be the actual benefits of moving to 5 divisions ?

There is a huge discrepancy in 4A and 1A in regards to enrollment. 5 classifications would help that out. Even when you split 1A to 1AA and 4A to 4AA you get a huge discrepancy. Sometimes of 1000 kids or better in 4AA.

From what I've read about it , it's not just about the playoffs that the NCHSAA is wanting to reduce the amount of split conferences during the regular season. They won't be able to get rid of all of them because of some teams location but like in the WHC moving larger 4A into a 5A will trickle down to moving bigger 1A like Avery and Polk to 2A leaving Mitchell the only 1A in the conference but it would be one of the few left plus they'll probably take some teams out if the conference thier in now and make some new conferences with only one classification.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
From what I've read one main reason start a 5A conference is to reduce split conferences. That is possible there could be still 8 championship games that you'll have 32 teams in 1A and 5A and 2 3 & 4A will still be split A & AA as they are now, but it's just speculation I don't think anyone knows anything for sure.

Adding classifications will not necessarily reduce split conferences. Regardless of how that plays out there will be complaints. When they have tried to reduce split conferences the complaint from the schools is they travel more and lose rivalries. When the alignment does not reduce them the complaint is usually from the smaller schools in a split conference complaining about the enrollment imbalalnce.

That is one of the options that appears to be on the table and generating a lot of talk among schools. The idea has been 1A and 5A will have a smaller amount of schools (12.5%) and will not subdivide. 2A-4A will have a larger amount of schools in each classification (25% may be) and will subdivide. The other thought has been to go 20% across the board and only subdivide 1A and 5A. They are going to look at a lot of different scenarios just as they did eight years ago but the schools were against any changes.

Sounds to me like 1a will increase to 530 or so, which would make the discrepancy more if im not mistaken.

Reactions: ESODcards
Sounds to me like 1a will increase to 530 or so, which would make the discrepancy more if im not mistaken.

Based off 2018 ADM would be right around that or a little less. There were 13 schools between 470 and 520. Ten between 400-469. 18 between 300 and 399. Seven below 300.

48 schools total. 16 make the playoffs which is 33%. Four rounds. Same with 5A. Finish the week before 2A-4A. 95 teams in 2A-4A. 32 make the playoffs. 33% make the playoffs. Five rounds. More teams in 2A-4A but they are closer in enrollment. Five state champions. As a caveat due to the size differential (number and percentage) allow the 1A and 5A to have 32 teams and five rounds. Same weekend.

A 1A schools enrollments of less than 400 would result in 28 football playing schools. That is like the 1970's into the early 1980's when there were less than 28 teams and the playoffs were three rounds. Not too interested in that concept.

That won't change 1a at all.
Looks it would add about a dozen schools that in the current system if they got into the playoffs would have been in the 1AA last year into a 1A that wouldn't split for the playoffs.
But the biggest difference for 1A would be for the schools who are always on the bubble they wouldn't have to wonder during the season if they're going to be in the A or AA.

Then what do you want exactly? 400 is too low, 530 is too high. You've constantly complained about the cutoff line with split classes @ around 500. What % of schools do YOU think should be 1a?

Show me were i complain about 500?.
You cant. Go ahead and make up some more stuff.
Ive always said 475-500 range sounds good.
Dont worry you can send some more to EC.

Seems like they make this playoff stuff way too complicated. Seems like they could make it much more simple. Not saying this would work but for an example split all 4 divisions into 2 playoff brackets, A, AA. After the first two weeks get an enrollment number for each school. Take the highest number, and the lowest number, divide into eight divisions and theres where your at in the playoff divisions; you would know by week three what division youd be playing in. Im sure there are reasons why this wouldnt work and there would still be bubble teams, but it would be nice if we had a system that was simple. You would have 8 championship games, 2 at each ACC field. They dates and times could be scheduled in advance two games at each field. Determine who plays where based on the two teams going and most fair distance for both

Last edited:
Show me were i complain about 500?.
You cant. Go ahead and make up some more stuff.
Ive always said 475-500 range sounds good.
Dont worry you can send some more to EC.
You have complained about Murphy and Mitchell being in the high 400's and how it wasn't fair for schools in the 350 range. I have agreed with you alot in the discussions of parity in classifications, and agree with you that 1a has the biggest difference in regards to size, but 1a in North Carolina can't be set up like Tennessee, Georgia, or South Carolina. The geography and school sizing is just too different. The bulk of NC schools fall between 600-1400 adm's. Schools under 600 are getting fewer and fewer each year. I like the idea of 5 classes with the cutoff for 1a around 530. It really won't change 1a much, Murphy, Mitchell and Robbinsville will likely still be hanging around the top, along with the possible addition of Mount Airy. And on the Early College statement, Mitchell County has 8 students enrolled out of 42 in the whole school.

I personally don’t understand the purpose for a change at all. There are currently 8 divisions and the complaint is about size discrepancy right? How does cutting it to 5 divisions fix that? Common sense that will only make it worse or have I lost it?

Reactions: BK13T-$
I personally don’t understand the purpose for a change at all. There are currently 8 divisions and the complaint is about size discrepancy right? How does cutting it to 5 divisions fix that? Common sense that will only make it worse or have I lost it?
I think 8 is entirely too many.

Reactions: btango
Not a perfect solution but there has to be a solution. Some schools are going to continue
To get bigger, some schools are going to continue to decline. Some states keep adding divisions, 5a,6a,7a etc. why not go ahead with 4 split? Were heading that way anyway

This fall, the NCHSAA board of directors plans to receive an amendment proposal that would allow the NCHSAA to add a 5A class. That proposal would be voted on next spring by the entire membership and results announced at the annual meeting in May. In order to pass, three-fourths of the membership must support it — which is approximately 313 schools.
I saw a proposal that the playoffs would be 1A ..2, 3 & 4 A would be split A & AA like now and 5A still 8 champions. But the NCHSAA commissioner Que Tucker said.."The board has to approve, but as they've just kind of talked to arrive at this point, I think that once we would get to that point it would be five championships. Period,"

Football participation and attendance is dwindling. It is time for a change! What that is I do not know but the crowds at the state title games are terrible! It has been going down for years except for a few instances. Spreading the games out to three and four sites is not the answer. Adding champions is not the answer.

Many people and almost every coach likes eight champions. I think too many teams make the playoffs which hurts the regular season a bit. If more is on the line are the games better, is the crowd larger? Some think that almost every team should make the playoffs. Others think less playoff teams but allow any team that does not qualify to play a “bowl” game with another non playoff team.

So many teams makes it like a conference tournament. I always liked the idea that the playoffs were when you played different teams not several rematches. A lot of rematches generate great interest but some are a flop. “Been there, done that.”

One change mentioned for 4A and / or potentially 5A is to play down to a final eight and then rebracket without the west and east regional aspect guaranteeing the two best teams most likely meet in the final.

My opinion has always been 6 divisions with no A & AA

Six would be great fir football but there is great competition in the other sports. Do not want to ruin those.

The best idea I have heard was to align football and the other sports separately. Schools did not like it, too confusing was the main response. I thought it was great. Keep four for non football. Let football coaches and ADs set football as they wish. They could opt for three, four, five, six, et al classes. They could have the same percentage in each class or offset numbers.

Newest NCHSAA Adjusted Maxpreps Rankings:

1. Tarboro (18.8)
2. Robbinsville (13.0)
3. East Surry (12.6)
4. John A. Holmes (11.6)
5. Princeton (10.9)
6. Polk (9.9)
7. Murphy (9.3)
8. Mt.Airy (9.0)
9. Swain (8.94)
10. Elkin (8.91)

Non-Adjusted Maxpreps:

1. Tarboro (35.0)
2. East Surry (28.7)
3. Holmes (24.5)
4. Robbinsville (18.6)
5. Polk (14.9)
6. Murphy (13.3)
7. Swain (13.3)
8. Mitchell (12.1)
9. Princeton (10.8)
10. Mt.Airy (6.6)

They at least give a rating scale this week to justify their order of teams, but no one knows what factors into the difference in rating scale from the regular Maxpreps to the NCHSAA adjusted.

Newest NCHSAA Adjusted Maxpreps Rankings:

1. Tarboro (18.8)
2. Robbinsville (13.0)
3. East Surry (12.6)
4. John A. Holmes (11.6)
5. Princeton (10.9)
6. Polk (9.9)
7. Murphy (9.3)
8. Mt.Airy (9.0)
9. Swain (8.94)
10. Elkin (8.91)

Non-Adjusted Maxpreps:

1. Tarboro (35.0)
2. East Surry (28.7)
3. Holmes (24.5)
4. Robbinsville (18.6)
5. Polk (14.9)
6. Murphy (13.3)
7. Swain (13.3)
8. Mitchell (12.1)
9. Princeton (10.8)
10. Mt.Airy (6.6)

They at least give a rating scale this week to justify their order of teams, but no one knows what factors into the difference in rating scale from the regular Maxpreps to the NCHSAA adjusted.
Adjusted rankings are a joke.

My ranking (which means nothing)

1. Tarboro
2. East Surry
3. Edenton Holmes
4. Mitchell
5T. Murphy
5T. Robbinsville
5T. Swain County
8. Polk County
9. Princeton
10. Mount Airy

Adjusted rankings are a joke.

My ranking (which means nothing)

1. Tarboro
2. East Surry
3. Edenton Holmes
4. Mitchell
5T. Murphy
5T. Robbinsville
5T. Swain County
8. Polk County
9. Princeton
10. Mount Airy

I'm not surprised at the Maxprep rankings I figured Holmes would jump to 3 or 4. As for Mitchell dropping to 11 in the adjusted rankings I'm sure they're hurt by thier non conference schedule but in the end it doesn't matter they still have to win conference games if they can win the conference definitely but even one lost and depending on who beats who they'll probably still get back up in the top by playoff time and if they have a bad conference record then they won't deserve to be.

If a Murphy or Robbinsville win out and Mitchell loses to MH ,Mitchell will be traveling this year..

The rankings are a joke however..East Surry beats Reidsville and Robbinsville beats Rosman...go figure. o_O

If a Murphy or Robbinsville win out and Mitchell loses to MH ,Mitchell will be traveling this year..
Is there any chance that one of these teams move up this year? Would much rather see y’all come to town than to play that starmount team again. If so maybe the game will actually be worth the price of admission.

Is there any chance that one of these teams move up this year? Would much rather see y’all come to town than to play that starmount team again. If so maybe the game will actually be worth the price of admission.
Possible with Mitchell everyone I've talked to says numbers are up. But you really don't know until the NCHSAA get the 48 and the ADM numbers.

Possible with Mitchell everyone I've talked to says numbers are up. But you really don't know until the NCHSAA get the 48 and the ADM numbers.
That would be a game I’d want to watch the playoffs last year fell so weak in the 1AA west it was a joke and this year could be way worse if nobody moves up.

It’s amazing how consistently good Robbinsville is with those numbers. If Mitchell doesn’t get a lot better we might not make it to regional in either division

Reactions: BK13T-$
We didn’t execute well on either side of the ball. Sometimes you need to play someone good or you become complacent. So far Erwin is the best team we’ve played.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT