ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA and the Adjusted Maxprep Ratings (Updated 9-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWWatchdog

Feb 21, 2003
We are still plenty of ways off from the playoffs but it's worth mentioning and getting everyone's thoughts on the NCHSAA and their use of the Adjusted Maxpreps Ratings. If you are on twitter, you need to give Nick Stevens a follow (he works with wral.com and highschoolot.com - does really good work in all high school sports). He tracks the differences between the Maxprep Ratings and the NCHSAA's Adjusted Maxprep Ratings in all 4 classifications. He just posted the weekly updates and also brought up some interesting points like - what factors go into the adjustment and why the lack of transparency on the part of the NCHSAA?

NCHSAA AMPR
1. Tarboro
2. Robbinsville
3. Princeton
4. East Surry
5. Murphy
6. Mitchell
7. Starmount
8. Swain
9. Washington County
10. Mt.Airy

Maxpreps Rankings (non-adjusted)
1. Tarboro
2. East Surry
3. Robbinsville
4. Murphy
5. Princeton
6. Mitchell
7. Swain
8. Holmes
9. Polk
10. Mountain Island Charter

Thoughts?

No it doesn't. At the end we will have some eastern team ranked 4th even though 10 teams are better. Like pamilco last year.

Reactions: Swain97 and Gps62
Not having Holmes in the top 10 is just crazy.
I'm just guessing but I noticed Holmes Maxprep strength of schedule for Holmes is -24.3 they've only played 4 games 2 teams are 2-2 and 2 haven't won a game. We're looking at it from a human perspective knowing how good Holmes usually is, while the computers that use only mathematical formulas for both rankings do not take in a schools history at the beginning of the year they all start at 0 according to Maxprep. No one except Maxprep know all the criterias of thier formula and Maxprep is just part of NCHSAA formula. Maybe playing even if they lose 3rd ranked 2A Northeastern will bring them up in the adjusted rankings. Again just guessing.

It’s not going to make Robbinsville any better or any worse Friday night if they’re ranked 1st in the nation or last! All Robbinsville needs to worry about is Rosman then Hayesville then Cherokee and so on. It will work it’s self out in the next 6 week . It’s all pretty on paper but means nothing. Is Robbinsville the 2nd best team in 1A , I doubt it Are we a legitimate top ten team I think so but we shall see. Good luck to all this week and the following weeks hope the injury bug spares us this year so we can settle it on the field at 100 %. Go Knights

True but all we need to worry about is the Western rankings.The championship is at a neutral location..Top 4 teams in the west all have bye weeks

Neutral? Kind of.
Eastern team will drive 1.5hrs
Murphy or Robbinsville will drive 5+ hrs.

Reactions: Swain97
I think 1A should be played in Greensboro or Winston Salem each year. No farther west than Wake Forest. Would not want to see WRH driving past West Montgomery (2016) to go play at a location two hours west of the western regional champion. If West Montgomery were the east champion and playing an SMC team then I would like to see that game at Lenior Rhyne.

I would like for the NCHSAA to wait until the regional champions are determined and then select the location for the title game. This would allow the games to be geographically situated better. That has been suggested but the schools prefer the rotation.

Reactions: beamer24
Charlotte
Hickory

Wake forest is 5plus hrs for us and 3hrs or less for Plymouth.

Charlotte
Hickory
Wake forest is 5plus hrs for us and 3hrs or less for Plymouth.

Robbinsville to Groves Stadium is 237 miles with an estimated travel time of 3:47.
Washington County High School (Plymouth) is 229 miles with an estimated travel time of 3:27.

I am fine with Charlotte but I have complained about the Triangle being too far east. UNCC is basically the same distance as Carter Finley is from the exit to NC A&T (Greensboro).

I think 1A should be played in Greensboro or Winston Salem each year. No farther west than Wake Forest. Would not want to see WRH driving past West Montgomery (2016) to go play at a location two hours west of the western regional champion. If West Montgomery were the east champion and playing an SMC team then I would like to see that game at Lenior Rhyne.

I would like for the NCHSAA to wait until the regional champions are determined and then select the location for the title game. This would allow the games to be geographically situated better. That has been suggested but the schools prefer the rotation.
Btango, I agree with your reasoning on waiting until after the regional, but is that feasible? Don’t they need several months of planning time and a commitment so the venue isn’t booked for another event?

Robbinsville to Groves Stadium is 237 miles with an estimated travel time of 3:47.
Washington County High School (Plymouth) is 229 miles with an estimated travel time of 3:27.

I am fine with Charlotte but I have complained about the Triangle being too far east. UNCC is basically the same distance as Carter Finley is from the exit to NC A&T (Greensboro).
I agree. NC A&T would be the perfect size for 1A State Championship

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I’m not sure how all of this works. For example. If Tarboro, Holmes, and Princeton all go undefeated in the east. How would they determine who has home field advantage on 1AA east?

I’m not sure how all of this works. For example. If Tarboro, Holmes, and Princeton all go undefeated in the east. How would they determine who has home field advantage on 1AA east?

Max Preps adjusted rankings.

Btango, I agree with your reasoning on waiting until after the regional, but is that feasible? Don’t they need several months of planning time and a commitment so the venue isn’t booked for another event?

Yes, they have to have the site booked well in advance and the schools still make them change start times.

My thing is have sites selected but not which teams will play at the sites.

Would love to see it go to five or six champions so one site would work smoothly and efficiently.

Great post. I love facts

Wake forest is about right after looking at your "facts." Lol.

Nc state is to far.
5:15hrs for Robbinsville, probably 6:15 for Murphy.
1:50 for Plymouth.

So those are the only nice stadiums?
What about Asheville? It would be the same.

I didn't realize Asheville had a football team with a large stadium...

Like an above poster said, it's about the kids, not us. Very few people can claim they've gotten to play at Kenan, Carter Finely, BB&T, or Wallace Wade. I mean these are big time college football stadiums. It's an awesome experience and I'm sure the kids don't complain one bit.

Keep in mind they also factor in the NCHSAA and their staff. For championship events they are NOT going to travel beyond Greensboro to the west. I think a few events have been held that far west (track and field championships, a few baseball championships) but it's rare and most times only when venues in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area cannot be used due to scheduling conflicts. I thought I read somewhere that the NCHSAA has a contract agreement/partnership to hold their championships in the Triangle area. I could be wrong on that, but swear I saw that within the last year or two.

Keep in mind they also factor in the NCHSAA and their staff. For championship events they are NOT going to travel beyond Greensboro to the west. I think a few events have been held that far west (track and field championships, a few baseball championships) but it's rare and most times only when venues in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area cannot be used due to scheduling conflicts. I thought I read somewhere that the NCHSAA has a contract agreement/partnership to hold their championships in the Triangle area. I could be wrong on that, but swear I saw that within the last year or two.

They hold Football championships in WS every year.

Asheville is most definantly west. Like west west. I have no problem with WS/triangle area. Someone is going to travel farther than the other team, every year. Occasionally throwing Charlotte into the mix wouldnt be too bad, but saying Asheville, or WCU like you have in the past is just ridiculous. That would be like a fan from the east wanting it to be held in Greenville at ECU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT