ADVERTISEMENT

MVAC/NW/Foothills JV Thread

Starmount - North Wilkes cancelled due to weather - never got started - will play Oct 5

I will start off saying I didn't keep a good eye on the game, but #7 Martin? had 2 rushing TD, Mason had at least 1, and there was a long TD pass. Mount Airy had several long TD plays. Mason and Martin were best players out there. The defense line was putting a lot of pressure on their qb and in backfield quickly. Second string was playing most of the 4th Quarter, but not sure when exactly they came in. I think Mount Airy had a lady bear to kick a PAT, but went for 2 on most of the scores I saw. Ashe line didn't hold up very well, but I think they had a few good skill guys.

North Surry 32, West Stokes 0

Not much to write about it, it was all over by the end of the first. One of the best starts I've seen us have at either level, we were fired up. West made mistakes and we exploited them. A good end to the non conference slate, just wish we could have got the younger players some time. But lightning happens regardless if you want it or not and you move on.

Conference starts next week for us vs Wilkes Central, no idea what to expect there. Guess we will see on Thursday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmappfan5
I will start off saying I didn't keep a good eye on the game, but #7 Martin? had 2 rushing TD, Mason had at least 1, and there was a long TD pass. Mount Airy had several long TD plays. Mason and Martin were best players out there. The defense line was putting a lot of pressure on their qb and in backfield quickly. Second string was playing most of the 4th Quarter, but not sure when exactly they came in. I think Mount Airy had a lady bear to kick a PAT, but went for 2 on most of the scores I saw. Ashe line didn't hold up very well, but I think they had a few good skill guys.
Thanks for the updates. First JV game I've missed. That front seven on Defense is impressive (fast, physical and good tacklers). Not having a kicker is a letdown. MA been blessed for several years with outstanding kickers (both Brown brothers, Tumbarello and now Stroup).

Reactions: MA STUD and sbbbfan
Thanks for the updates. First JV game I've missed. That front seven on Defense is impressive (fast, physical and good tacklers). Not having a kicker is a letdown. MA been blessed for several years with outstanding kickers (both Brown brothers, Tumbarello and now Stroup).
They definitely have been blessed with kickers. I always felt MA has a solid percentage chance to put points on the board if they could just get to the 30, especially with Robert Brown. I think that was a big advantage in some of the playoff games in mid/late 2010s.

Oak Grove 26, North Forsyth 0

Bishop McGuiness 32, Wheatmore 6.
Bishop's 3-0 for the first time in a long time on JV.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Good job Slasher and thanks for your interest in JV football. Your Hounds are looking good.

Thank you! It's always been a lot of fun to do this and keep track of everything, and it's a great way to look into the future.

Indeed. They've been a pleasant surprise. We moved a lot of kids up from last year so I wasn't sure what we'd have coming back, but the sophomores who've stayed have played very hard so far since the scrimmage. Looking forward to conference play with these fellows.

East Wilkes 20, Wilkes Central 6

Huge win for the JV Ronda Cards, they opened with 2 close thriller losses but have rebounded to 2 solid county wins heading into conference.

East Surry 32, South Stokes 6

Good night for the Pilot Cards as well; get their first win of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Surry Central 30, North Wilkes 28 OT
SC rebounds from a 16 point deficit to a strong 2nd half to prevent North Wilkes from winning their first JV game in 2.5 years. Sounds like a real barnburner! Can't wait to watch it on NFHS.

Walkertown beat East Surry in their bye week matchup tonight according to WT's head coach on their Twitter, he didn't provide the score. Huge win for Walkertown; I don't think they've ever beaten ES on JV.

North Surry 40, Wilkes Central 20

Solid outing for my Hounds tonight. Score doesn't indicate it (they scored twice on our bench late,) but we played solid on both ends. Started a new QB and he stepped up and played well for not starting since middle school. WC's young but they are very stubborn, they will improve through the year once they master that offense. It's hard to learn. Nowhere as close as last year's game despite the score being different, WC played us hard the first 1.5 quarters in that one, this one they did at the end. Very weird.

Next week's going to be a doozy, we host Forbush who's doing well. We gotta have a good week of practice and stay focused.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Sounds like Mt Airy in trouble few years. Forgot the middle school bears playing up on jv. Lol
I think that's probably pretty funny huh. Usually in middle school the bears don't always do that well. Because they're under sized. That's usually what wins in middle school. Although generally what happens when they get to high school is Mount Airy gets coached well. They lift weights. They run. They don't squabble. And they just kick everybody's ass. Which is what they'll continue to do with this group. Until people have a school system that buys in. Let's coaches coaching. Keeps parents out of the damn mix and breeds toughness they'll keep on doing it.

I think that's probably pretty funny huh. Usually in middle school the bears don't always do that well. Because they're under sized. That's usually what wins in middle school. Although generally what happens when they get to high school is Mount Airy gets coached well. They lift weights. They run. They don't squabble. And they just kick everybody's ass. Which is what they'll continue to do with this group. Until people have a school system that buys in. Let's coaches coaching. Keeps parents out of the damn mix and breeds toughness they'll keep on doing it.
I know coaches who have left for other schools or just stopped coaching because certain parents raised Cain because they thought their kid would be better at just let us QB for instance than who the coach knew would be better. It is the bleacher coaches that are the problem, all that coach from the bleachers ! LOL, I can hear them on the radio yelling at the coach.

MAMS kids are also coached well! Coach Gallimore does a great job!

Reactions: Bearmod1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT