ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy's Coach Gentry poses good question to the NCHSAA Board

He has alway s fought for equal playing field.

Lol.

Yes this is ironic from the long history of debates on ADM with his program but as stated before we need to start pressing the issue on these "non-traditional". If he can get some attention then go for it, because we obviously are not making a dent in the NCHSSA rhetoric.

Long history of "debates"? Debates in what realms?

Oh, you mean bitter, 7th grade-educated imbeciles going back and forth on a message board. That must constitute legitimate debate.

Reactions: dogman35 and mbdfan
The pride of black knight alum at his best. Why would anyone expect anything less?

Long history of "debates"? Debates in what realms?

Oh, you mean bitter, 7th grade-educated imbeciles going back and forth on a message board. That must constitute legitimate debate.
Yes I was referring to the debates on this site which I did try to point out as useless in the eyes of NCHSSA or anyone making decisions on ADM or significant situations. And of course I know there is nothing "legitimate" on this site but history can be history no matter how or where it takes place. This site is just full of parents, coaches and has-beens or what have you that argue over things we sometimes cant control. It is just a site for freedom of speech. I stated the irony but I also stated that from his position he could possibly make some changes. I give him all the props for actually doing something unlike most of us posters who just type on these message boards. So yes BK post is out of his resentment of the man and I couldnt care less. All I care about is the injustice being rectified and if he helps get some eyes open and kick these "non-traditional" out of 1A, more power to Gentry.

Roger that. You get it, but I'll reiterate for those who don't:

BK spouts more than a golf course sprinkler head, and unfortunately, in the Digital Age, volume tends to get confused with legitimacy. The NCHSAA spoke definitively on his favorite topic six years ago. But he's like one of those abandoned Japanese island WWII soldiers, continuing to think there's a war, fighting on like he's on the right side of it--when neither the former nor the latter is true.

Meanwhile David Gentry is devoting his twilight years as an educator toward the cause of advocating for small schools (like Robbinsville!), and, as usual, BK would rather cut off his own nose to spite his face.

Reactions: dogman35
BK,you do realize if something isn't done about this before long your undefeated mite girls team that you bring up so often will have a hard time winning a state championship.

Au contraire, mon frere. I consider myself the biggest moron on here.

The perceptive eye may note that I only post when I feel like Coach Gentry needs some kind of public defending. That's absurd. He needs my message board defense about as much as the Dalia Lama does. This is a guy whose got a back made of duck feathers, Que Tucker on speed dial, and a résumé that says "National Football Coach of the Year."

Message boards are the equivalent of the Carringer brothers calling plays at the top of their lungs from the 20th row of Bob Hendrix Memorial Stadium on Friday nights. Those guys' football knowledge spans somewhere between jack and sh*t, but they've got an audience, a $6 ticket stub and some vocal cords, so why not have at it?

Yet I still knowingly persist in (as you astutely pointed out) ironically contributing to the absurdity at large. It's an existential crisis (To post or not to post...That is the question) I'm dealing with. Carry on.

Au contraire, mon frere. I consider myself the biggest moron on here.

The perceptive eye may note that I only post when I feel like Coach Gentry needs some kind of public defending. That's absurd. He needs my message board defense about as much as the Dalia Lama does. This is a guy whose got a back made of duck feathers, Que Tucker on speed dial, and a résumé that says "National Football Coach of the Year."

Message boards are the equivalent of the Carringer brothers calling plays at the top of their lungs from the 20th row of Bob Hendrix Memorial Stadium on Friday nights. Those guys' football knowledge spans somewhere between jack and sh*t, but they've got an audience, a $6 ticket stub and some vocal cords, so why not have at it?

Yet I still knowingly persist in (as you astutely pointed out) ironically contributing to the absurdity at large. It's an existential crisis (To post or not to post...That is the question) I'm dealing with. Carry on.
U calling me maroon Moped blaster ?

This issue has indeed been a "legitimate debate" in places other than these message boards. I do know that this complaint has been brought up at NCHSAA meetings for at least the last 10 years and has been brushed under the rug. Now that Coach Gentry is behind this issue, I do believe that the NCHSAA will take notice and perhaps enact some changes. I have always agreed with the separate classification for the non-traditional schools (I don't like the multiplier idea.) and was pleased to see that is the avenue that Coach Gentry advocates too. Kudos to Coach Gentry for taking a stand and putting forth a fair solution.

Thanks Cheerduck for providing the link: And I agree that Coach Gentry is in the best position at the moment to speak for all the small traditional 1A schools, since he is a member of the board of directors, and is the Head Coach for the upcoming Shrine Bowl game...

I think that Coach Gentry put every thing into perspective with this quote: "Overall, if fair play and equity are going to be listed among the CORE values of the NCHSAA, it's time we model that behavior by leveling the playing field"!

Hope that Coach Gentry can use his influence and current platform as one of the most respected Head Football Coaches in this state to help make the future of 1A sports more fair than it currently is?

I have never had any qualms with schools that open with the intention, purpose and mission of helping students achieve higher academic standards and thus giving those students a better chance for future success....However, what seems to have happened instead is that there are schools that are opening for the sole purpose of gaining an advantage on the atheletic fields and courts, particularly in all those sports not involving football, and all those accomplishments were well documented in the article from Carteret County that was referenced in this article, and I read a while back on the 1A basketball board....

It's good to have a voice of reason speaking-out for all those small traditional 1A schools in our state who are having to play by a different set of rules than some of the Charter/Magnet schools with seemingly no boundaries which has obviously provided those schools with a distinct and tremendous advantage in terms of luring good Coaches in various sports who can find the atheletes that can compete for a championship in a relatively short period of time at the expense of the traditional 1A schools whose Coaches/Student Atheletes are restricted by boundaries...

Be interesting to see if Coach Gentry can make a difference.....

I for one hope that he can make a difference for the sake and future of all the traditional 1A schools that still exist in this state...

The current state of affairs for small traditional 1A schools just reeks of discrimination, inequality and unfairness by the NCHSAA when it pertains to atheletics, and it's past time to do something about it IMO!

Roar Tigers Roar!

They need to make more state championships so everyone can get a trophy.

The simplest thing (not x2 multi, and getting kids hurt on the football field) would be to make separate state championships. Public small and big single A. Then a Non-traditional single A.

Leave the rest alone.
yes we need more c-ships, we already have 8.

I could never support a 9th state championship. There are also not enough non-traditional 1A schools to even field 4 rounds in the playoffs.

Charter schools are not the biggest problem, but open enrollment areas are. The public schools in Forsyth County are the biggest problem.

Charter schools are not the biggest problem, but open enrollment areas are. The public schools in Forsyth County are the biggest problem.

I agree most of my comments have been sarcasm, but Gentry up there is laying it all on, all charter schools. You can't just pick out certain ones. Whatever happens will happen to

Charter Schools
Magnet Schools
Private Schools

Let at Highland Tech, 1A magnet. They'd be basically 3a if they did a 2x multiplier like Gentry talks about.

Stupid.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
I agree most of my comments have been sarcasm, but Gentry up there is laying it all on, all charter schools. You can't just pick out certain ones. Whatever happens will happen to

Charter Schools
Magnet Schools
Private Schools

Let at Highland Tech, 1A magnet. They'd be basically 3a if they did a 2x multiplier like Gentry talks about.

Stupid.

We are in agreement. I like Gentry but the issue is fairly complex. Some charter schools do not have any advantages at all. His solution, while with good intentions creates unfairness.

I also believe that this proposal will not be enacted anytime soon. Not until the state legislature changes its love feast for charter schools.

Charter Schools
Magnet Schools
Private Schools

Stupid.

What? Gentry is NOT advocating a multiplier. He's advocating a separate playoff for nontraditionals, like they've successfully done in Georgia.

Read, man.

I will support giving them their own playoffs if we ditch sub-dividing the football playoffs or at least do not sub-divide in 1A and 4A due to those two classifications now being smaller in number than 2A and 3A.

Hey jcat, I'm not a Gentry fan but to say his comments are stupid is out of line. You do know he is not only a coach, right? I think he knows more about this subject than you or any other of us arm chair QBs on here!

I will support giving them their own playoffs if we ditch sub-dividing the football playoffs or at least do not sub-divide in 1A and 4A due to those two classifications now being smaller in number than 2A and 3A.
Not subdividing 1A makes sense but the little 1A schools don't want to compete with JK and WRH.

Reactions: btango
Hey jcat, I'm not a Gentry fan but to say his comments are stupid is out of line. You do know he is not only a coach, right? I think he knows more about this subject than you or any other of us arm chair QBs on here!
I can't believe I just like one of Bk's posts o_O I need to go re-evaluate myself

the NCHSAA spring mtg is next week and there's a lot on the agenda Including separate playoffs for non traditional....stay tuned

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT