ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy's Coach Gentry poses good question to the NCHSAA Board

Both Ms. Tucker and the President of the NCHSAA on their tweeted press conference made it pretty clear they don't want to do anything that will bring in anyone outside to force their hand and tell them what to do...clearly they were talking about the politicians. So obviously it is going to be something that the non-traditionals would have to agree to. Also they made it clear they don't know who is non-traditional and who is not. The committee will be just like it was before...half non-traditionals.

I get the feeling that Que has bigger fish to fry than having to satisfy some pacifier-dependent whiners.

The funny thing is listening to the very anti-catholic rhetoric when WSP is by far the bigger problem. And for those of you in "dem yonder hills", WSP is a traditional school.

I get the feeling that Que has bigger fish to fry than having to satisfy some pacifier-dependent whiners.

The funny thing is listening to the very anti-catholic rhetoric when WSP is by far the bigger problem. And for those of you in "dem yonder hills", WSP is a traditional school.
I have to agree with the NCHSAA on this - who is Traditional and who isn't? Where do you draw the line? Yes WSP and BM have advantages but what about teams like Whiteville; playing 1A with 2A numbers plus having transfers to boot. Is Whiteville a Traditional school? What about Swain and Cherokee having players float back and forth? Are they Traditional schools? The list goes on.

That has stopped at swain and cherokee. Remember the rule two yrs ago?

Cherokee has shut that down so it is not an issue.

Best way to describe a "non-traditional" high school is to define it as an educational institution, grades 9 or 10-12, that has no defined district boundaries inside a distinct political subdivision of the State.

All charters, preps, magnets and Catholic are non traditional. Oh and any open enrollment schools. Put them all together. I would think the open enrollment schools would change back to traditional really fast.
Bottom line is these advantage schools love the advantage they have and will fight to keep it. Now that's how a champion is suppose to act! Yeah right. No advantaged will agree to level the playing field!

Reactions: VIKING COUNTRY
Nontraditional schools
A committee will be formed in the fall to discuss board member David Gentry’s idea to split certain 1A playoff brackets between traditional public schools and nontraditional ones – such as charter, parochial and magnet schools. Gentry is the football coach at Murphy High in the mountains.

Some 1A championships, like golf, cross country, tennis and basketball, have been won by charter, parochial and magnet schools much more than traditional public schools lately.

“Our 1A schools have, over the years, had some concerns about the growing success of schools that fall outside of ... the schools we’re used to seeing in the NCHSAA membership,” Tucker said.

Potential new amendments or bylaw changes would have to “be in step with the changing face of education,” Tucker said.

“What I do foresee is that we will have to continue to look at the makeup of the membership and (ask), ‘Has the makeup of the membership changed in such a way that we no longer have four classes, or do we have four classes plus something else – I don’t know what that would be,” Tucker said. “Do we now have a 1A classification, but within that 1A classification it has to look different because the number of 1A schools has increased drastically? We’ll have to look at it in totality.”

A committee was formed three years ago about the same topic, and a transfer and attendance zone policy was implemented that said all transfers must sit out a year (minus an education board’s approval) and all students must be within a 25-mile radius (minus those parochial students who attend a church within the diocese).

“I’m always concerned about issues that seem to pit one group against another group,” Tucker said. “They can be divisive.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/high-school/article75559317.html#storylink=cpy

Cherokee didn't stop anything. The state rule pass couple of years ago is what stopped it. Not intended to sound rude to you.

They opted to go with it. They could have set their own, which any LEA may do. Of course, it benefitted them to do so.

Earnhardt - And for those of you in "dem yonder hills", WSP is a traditional school.

LOLOLOL -
Are you serious? WSP is a traditional school - in what universe? o_O

Okay maybe we can give Que,the AA prez, and Earnhart, Blue Vols' phone number or email address ... if they can't define non-traditional then they apparently need help. Blue summed it up in one sentence.

Earnhardt - And for those of you in "dem yonder hills", WSP is a traditional school.

LOLOLOL -
Are you serious? WSP is a traditional school - in what universe? o_O

Okay maybe we can give Que,the AA prez, and Earnhart, Blue Vols' phone number or email address ... if they can't define non-traditional then they apparently need help. Blue summed it up in one sentence.

WSP is a traditional achool that is in the Winston-Salem/Forsyth school system. They are not a charter school and they are very much a public school.

You see, the 1A schools want to try and define WSP because they don't want to blame any traditional schools. However, WSP is the one 1A school that has a clear advantage. The school system has all schools as open enrollment.

I'm sure Sportsnut can explain in better detail how the traditional WSP has a huge advantage over the other 1A achools.

Why do you mention, and I quote "....the AA prez". I find that comment to be peculiar. Why even mention the President and what does skin color have to do with this topic? Please explain.

Last edited:
Can all school in Forsyth County get kids out of County or is it only WSP?

A school can accept students from outside the county if the LEA allows it. Normally the student would be required to pay a tuition equivalent to what the county spends per student:

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
WSP is a traditional achool that is in the Winston-Salem/Forsyth school system. They are not a charter school and they are very much a public school.

You see, the 1A schools want to try and define WSP because they don't want to blame any traditional schools. However, WSP is the one 1A school that has a clear advantage. The school system has all schools as open enrollment.

I'm sure Sportsnut can explain in better detail how the traditional WSP has a huge advantage over the other 1A achools.

Why do you mention, and I quote "....the AA prez". I find that comment to be peculiar. Why even mention the President and what does skin color have to do with this topic? Please explain.

Good Grief ... what in world are you talking about - skin color??? I shortened NCHSAA to AA - athletic association ... let's not make this into a racial thing. I also shortened president to prez. So jump down off that soap box, and let's not make something out of nothing.

And the reason I included the "AA prez" (NCHSAA President) is because Dosso wrote that in the press conference, Ms. Tucker and the NCHSAA President, said that they couldn't define non-traditional schools. I pointed out that Blue Vols was able to define it in one sentence. Heads up ... WSP is NOT a traditional school!!!!!!

Last edited:
They may be a public school but they are not a traditional school. Simple.

Good Grief ... what in world are you talking about - skin color??? I shortened NCHSAA to AA - athletic association ... let's not make this into a racial thing. I also shortened president to prez. So jump down off that soap box, and let's not make something out of nothing.

And the reason I included the "AA prez" (NCHSAA President) is because Dosso wrote that in the press conference, Ms. Tucker and the NCHSAA President, said that they couldn't define non-traditional schools. I pointed out that Blue Vols was able to define it in one sentence. Heads up ... WSP is NOT a traditional school!!!!!!

Only a lazy person would shorten the acronym NCHSAA to AA. As such, I simply don't buy your explanation. Try again.

Winston-Salem Prep is a traditional school. The school is funded just like every traditional school in that school district. It's not a charter school and it's not a private or parochial school. You have to look at how a school is funded to determine whether it's a traditional or non-traditional school.

Try again.

Only a lazy person would shorten the acronym NCHSAA to AA. As such, I simply don't buy your explanation. Try again.

Winston-Salem Prep is a traditional school. The school is funded just like every traditional school in that school district. It's not a charter school and it's not a private or parochial school. You have to look at how a school is funded to determine whether it's a traditional or non-traditional school.

Try again.
I have known Que for many years and when I read "AA" I knew he meant Athletic Association President. We don't need some one to try make this a racial issue on these boards

I have known Que for many years and when I read "AA" I knew he meant Athletic Association President. We don't need some one to try make this a racial issue on these boards

I've never heard anyone associated or affiliated with the NCHSAA ever called it the AA. AA stands for many things....Alcoholics Anonymous, American Association, etc. AA is an acronym. NCHSAA is also an acronym. Using an acronym to describe an acronym simply doesn't work. That's why I don't buy the explanation. I agree with you that racial issues should not be on the board and my original comment even stated that. When I saw the comment "AA prez", I cringed. I thought it was very peculiar to say the least.

Back to the topic, WSP is a traditional school which gets funds the same way as any county school in the Winston Salem/Forysth County school system.

You can't take a leak in the woods without someone playing that card.

I'm not playing any card whatsoever. Again, I just found it very peculiar. No one refers to the NCHSAA as the "AA". "AA" is where you go to dry out.

Oh Great King of the Acronyms ... without a doubt I'm a lazy person, and in this day of texting I have a tendency to shorten words - i.e. ur (you're), bc (because), c (see), b4 (before). I gave you my reason for typing AA prez, but I'm not selling it, so I don't give a rat's rear end if your buying it or not. So if you need to "cringe" at my "peculiar" wording have at it.

Oh Great King of the Acronyms ... without a doubt I'm a lazy person, and in this day of texting I have a tendency to shorten words - i.e. ur (you're), bc (because), c (see), b4 (before). I gave you my reason for typing AA prez, but I'm not selling it, so I don't give a rat's rear end if your buying it or not. So if you need to "cringe" at my "peculiar" wording have at it.

We're cool. I'm sure you understand now why it's important not to abbreviate an acronym anymore. It loses its meaning.

The old WNCHSAA was commonly known as "The Associaton" but not to be confused with the big hit band of the late 1960's. I have never heard the NCHSAA called the "AA" but often referred to as "The State".

I guess there are different ways to determine what a traditional vs non traditional school is. By my definition, a traditional school is state supported and has boundaries that in and of themselves make them a 1a school. Charters are not traditional in that their drawing area is in most cases too big. The same is true for WSP. Bishop does not qualify as traditional by either of my standards. I think it could be very simple to differentiate if the NCHSAA decided to try to do so, but of course in my mind everything normally seems easier than it ends up being. The NCHSAA should not try to take decisions that are made by the LEA away from them, but rather they make a set of rules and either your rules match the traditional rules or they do not. If not, you fall into the non traditional category.

Simple they are non traditional. Back in the day when Elkin and Coach Grissom were winning state championships, there was lots of scuttle bug about this. Since they do not win anymore, nobody cares. Truth is it is wrong win or lose. In the old days, kids used to shuttle back and forth between East and Elkin or Starmount and Elkin like it was normal. Seems there are still lots of kids coming in from outside, just not athletes like it used to be.

In 2003, I think Yadkin County School Board changed the policy to not take any outside the county kids unless their parents worked in the school system. Kids can transfer in-county but has to be board approved (Forbush to Starmount & vice versa).

Does this make them non-traditional? 1/3 of their students not in district. What do they have in system 700-1000?

Great question. However, what difference does it make if they are traditional or non-traditional? This is what I don't understand. I know there's a considerable amount of anti-catholic animosity towards the parochial schools and the charter schools, but how about the traditional Winston-Salem Prep? They aren't a private school, nor are they a charter school. Winston-Salem Prep is funded by the Forsyth County school system. If there is one school that has an unfair advantage, it's the very traditional, very public Winston-Salem Prep school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT