ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy's Coach Gentry poses good question to the NCHSAA Board

I would not expect non traditional playoffs for football. There just are not enough non traditional schools playing football and other than Charlotte Catholic the success has been somewhat limited. I do think there is going to be more of a push in the future but I do not think splitting the playoff further is the answer. I prefer seeing schools play up. Eight is enough.

I would not expect non traditional playoffs for football. There just are not enough non traditional schools playing football and other than Charlotte Catholic the success has been somewhat limited. I do think there is going to be more of a push in the future but I do not think splitting the playoff further is the answer. I prefer seeing schools play up. Eight is enough.
I also think most would be happy in 1A if the non traditional schools played up in only basketball at this time but that depends on how well WS Prep does in stacking their deck in open enrollment Forsyth Co.... Look how well they did in their first year of varsity football. How many teams make it to the playoffs and don't get blown out by a team like Robbinsvile ? Of coarse they may have been shown some mercy because it was their first year. LOL

WSP was okay. The QB looked like a deer in headlights! I think they return everybody. I look for them and TJ to be very good in small A. Just think about what Rville could do with those advantages.

I think EVERYBODY, the charters & privates included, would be on board with the separate playoff classification.

I did find it somewhat amusing though that Coach Gentry advocated for keeping them in the football playoffs as it obviously directly benefits his team and others like his. Allows for more of those bodybag games in the early rounds of the playoffs and keeps the small 1A playoff pool watered down.

If you're going to separate them, it needs to be all the way, football included, no half measures.

I think EVERYBODY, the charters & privates included, would be on board with the separate playoff classification.

I did find it somewhat amusing though that Coach Gentry advocated for keeping them in the football playoffs as it obviously directly benefits his team and others like his. Allows for more of those bodybag games in the early rounds of the playoffs and keeps the small 1A playoff pool watered down.

If you're going to separate them, it needs to be all the way, football included, no half measures.
9 state champions? No thank you?

Reactions: Sportsnut17

Gentry would prefer for the playoffs to be four games again in 1A or drop subdividing if they are staying with five rounds.

There are only a few football playing charter schools plus Bishop. I do not see WSP and other "true" public schools being placed in a different playoff bracket. Not adding to the football playoff classifications is sensible.

It said non traditional. WSP is a nontraditional!

I am sure many would argue that point. I do not think they should be in 1A but they are not a charter school nor a Parochial. Once again, the problem is Forsyth County.

They may be a public school but they can still be a nontraditional school. Traditional schools don't have open enrollment. So if that County quit having open ebpnrollment do you think WSP would be on a even playing field with rville, Andrews, hayesville, or Rosman? No they would nt!. They would still be able to get kids from larger area and EVEN outside the County. That is also the problem. The whole County should be considered nontraditional and be classified as such.

best guess is they appoint a committee to study the situation and it goes from there....this has "lawyers getting involved" all over it....

They may be a public school but they can still be a nontraditional school. Traditional schools don't have open enrollment. So if that County quit having open ebpnrollment do you think WSP would be on a even playing field with rville, Andrews, hayesville, or Rosman? No they would nt!. They would still be able to get kids from larger area and EVEN outside the County. That is also the problem. The whole County should be considered nontraditional and be classified as such.

This is a traditional achool that has an advantage. I don't know how else to tell you but your theory that all traditional achools are the victim blows up in your face with the WSP deal. Not all non traditionall schools are the same either.

So a college prep school is a traditional school? Okay!

Yes, it's a traditional school. It's also what's called a "magnet school". I'm sure there aren't any magnet schools in your county so you might want to read up on them.

The counties with open enrollment and/or magnet schools are a huge issue but no one talks about them much at all. The biggest threat to the 1A schools is the traditional WSP.

best guess is they appoint a committee to study the situation and it goes from there....this has "lawyers getting involved" all over it....

I really don't think this is something that lawyers will get involved in. The only time litigation was threatened was when Rowan Co. tried to hit the eject button on the parochials a few years back without evidence of any wrongdoing.

Most of the charters and parochials have acknowledged the advantage that their situation yields and have supported changes to level the playing field in the past. It's really been more the NCHSAA that has refused to adopt those changes for whatever reason (political, I assume).

The reason it might get tabled and sent into committee is that its not a one size fits all problem. The vast majority of these schools are 1A/2A sized, but what do you do with schools like Gibbons and Charlotte Catholic, which are enormous? Wouldn't be fair to them or the smaller schools to lump them together, especially for football.

The move to a separate classification is coming, probably sooner than later, but there's some details that still need to be hammered out, which will still take some time.

Reactions: BK13T-$
So a college prep school is a traditional school? Okay!

There is one of the issues, my understanding is WSP performs below the majority of Forsyth County schools in test scores and is by no means an elite educational institution.

Actually the majority of schools in NC, including 1A, would probably fall under your definition of "non-traditional" to some degree. If a school can take a student from outside their home district boundary for any reason under any circumstance is that "non traditional"?

Note, I agree with WSP should not be in 1A but they will need to considered differently than charters and Bishop. Some think a county that has true open enrollment should be required to use a multiplier or play up a class but then you must remember some schools get much more talent than others while some schools lose more than others.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
I really don't think this is something that lawyers will get involved in. The only time litigation was threatened was when Rowan Co. tried to hit the eject button on the parochials a few years back without evidence of any wrongdoing.

I think that litigation or the threat of litigation is always a possibility. We have seen litigation on many issues over the years with the NCHSAA. We have also seen a member of the State House of Reps get two schools removed from a conference without the NCHSAA being informed that it was being voted on. It caused havoc for other schools but made it better for the two schools that got the change. The old, "we want what is best for everyone overall unless it is affects us" crowd.

Yeah, I know they are heading to 2A. By 2017, the little boys will try to duck schools such as Tarboro.
Having played at a small school (little boys as you refer) and being involved with a small school, we have not ever tried to duck anyone or anybody. Whether we are 1-10 or 10-1 we play who is in front of us on Friday nights. Most of the time we fair pretty well.

We got a kid from Andrews last year. He had to sit out 365! That is not non traditional.

BK curiosity question. Why would a student go from Andrews to Robbinsville?

If Forsyth had the 365 sit out I think WSP would not be able to get the kids over. If they go there day one freshman year I do not have as big an issue.

We got a kid from Andrews last year. He had to sit out 365! That is not non traditional.

There are traditional schools that have to comply with the 365 day rule, and there are traditional schools that are not required to comply with the 365 rule. The same is true with non-traditional schools. Any transfers into Charlotte Catholic sit out 365 days.

To be honest I don't know. One kid ever 3 or 4 yrs is not the same as no boarders.

WSP can get kids outside the country no matter if forsyth county has open enrollment or not.

I just asked since you said he sat out 365. My understanding if you move into another home then you don't have to sit out. Not sure why WSP was even mentioned.

To be honest I don't know. One kid ever 3 or 4 yrs is not the same as no boarders.

WSP can get kids outside the country no matter if forsyth county has open enrollment or not.

Outside the "country"? Uhm, let's not stretch the truth. Maybe outside "Forsyth County", but not the "country". I agree that WSP has an unfair advantage but you have to be honest about the extent of the advantage.

I just asked since you said he sat out 365. My understanding if you move into another home then you don't have to sit out. Not sure why WSP was even mentioned.

He's infamous for throwing stones. What you have to do is ride him to tell the truth. When he starts lying, that's when you have to set him straight. Just word for the wise.

If you move with your nuclear family or legal guardian it is not considered a transfer but change of residency and there is no sit out period. If the student moves from their legal guardian to a non legal guardian it is a transfer. and requires a 365 sit out from date student was enrolled at the new school. If the legal guardianship is transferred to the person(s) the student is living with they are not required to sit out. In order for the guardianship to be legal with the NCHSAA a family court judge must sign off on the guardianship documents.

Last edited:
I don't know for sure if he sit or not. Heard he sit but I don't really have a clue.

Side note. His family is really good folks.

I don't know for sure if he sit or not. Heard he sit but I don't really have a clue.

Side note. His family is really good folks.

So your earlier comment in the affirmative that he had to sit out 365 days may not be true. I point this out because your reliability record for stating accurate information is questionable at best.

Reactions: Ladge
If you move with your nuclear family or legal guardian it is not considered a transfer but change of residency and there is no sit out period. If the student moves from their legal guardian to a non legal guardian it is a transfer. and requires a 365 sit out from date student was enrolled at the new school. If the legal guardianship is transferred to the person(s) the student is living with they are not required to sit out. In order for the guardianship to be legal with the NCHSAA a family court judge must sign off on the guardianship documents.

One caveat to this post is the LEA can override this rule hence Forsyth and some other counties. Meck County implemented this rule years ago and in spring 2001 added a rule that once a student plays a sport he cannot play the same sport at another school that sports season regardless of residency eligibility.

Board mtg over...nothing

Not quite. They just moved the discussion to a later date this spring to be discussed as a separate issue from the BOG meeting. I'm assuming that's because that debate alone would end up taking up the entire day and they have other things to deal with too.

I don't think anything happens this year because there's no clear solution for what to do with Gibbons & Catholic if you create a separate playoff classification, but the issue is at least being discussed.

If something gets changed it will be in the spring. This meeting would have appointed a committee to look at the available options.

Listening to Que Tucker's press conference, it sounds like they're ready to make a move on it though when they get to the committee. First time I've heard her or anyone openly talk about what they'd need to do to make it happen.

check out statement from president...basically we are all one...."stop using the terms traditional and non-traditional"...

kinda like the new playoff system...sounds/looks like pod but I see where they're going

Reporters tweeting they will form a committee in the Fall similar to the last non-traditional schools committee which was half traditional and half non-traditional just like last time. Sounds like defining non-traditional will be difficult part which is what everyone knew to begin with.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT