ADVERTISEMENT

Hello 2024 1A Football Season ( Lets Hear It )

Hell I'll bet you as soon as that position is officially open. Lowman will put in for it. Just me pontificating. But I would about bet my house he at least applies

Why is he leaving? Seems weird that he would leave right now

He was at Patton for 3 years. One year was jv only which was the first year. There was stuff going on which I will not discuss on here being why he left. Great coach and person . If true I wish him the best and I think he wants to be closer to his children and parents if he does make the move.

Reactions: amaidendevil
Unless I missed a post does it say a head coach is possibly leaving ? It could be an assistant coach. Someone said Adkins never stays anywhere long, well has he had this kind of success at any other school ? With the talent that comes through Mount Airy every year, I am sure someone there has been learning the coach's style over the last 6 years that can carry on. I can't see him leaving before 2025 but I could be wrong. There is too much about this that doesn't make sense. Think about it, there is always something that comes out every year by someone to keep us talking about something that is not there. Someone like this guy (amaidendevil) has it going on the 3A boards under the thread Freedom. That thread started Dec. 1st and this guy is from 2A Maiden who lost to Sailsbury 40-0 in round 2 of the 2A playoffs this year and has no team to talk about.
One post there on page 3 of the 3A board (Freedom) he says: I'm hearing from some people it's between Mike propst and hickory assistant natoli. Unless secret dark horse candidate. Then Saturday after probably a half dozen names coming up as the Freedom new coach he says this: Saturday at 6:40 PM post #154 page 4, So a bear just not a black bear more of a stone bear 😂 and Saturday at 6:44 he starts it on this thread post # 10 saying: So is rumors true mt airy coach may be going to freedom to coach ??. This after playing mind games on the 3A Freedom thread. He wants everyone to think he is in the know between the 1A boards and the 3A boards and he is a 2A Maiden Blue Devil Fan. Now go watch the 3A boards for Freedom's coach and see what is going on. Is Amaidendevil just after attention or does he know more than everyone else ? It is possible he knows someone who said something to him that gave him that idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel fan1
Unless I missed a post does it say a head coach is possibly leaving ? It could be an assistant coach. Someone said Adkins never stays anywhere long, well has he had this kind of success at any other school ? With the talent that comes through Mount Airy every year, I am sure someone there has been learning the coach's style over the last 6 years that can carry on. I can't see him leaving before 2025 but I could be wrong. There is too much about this that doesn't make sense. Think about it, there is always something that comes out every year by someone to keep us talking about something that is not there. Someone like this guy (amaidendevil) has it going on the 3A boards under the thread Freedom. That thread started Dec. 1st and this guy is from 2A Maiden who lost to Sailsbury 40-0 in round 2 of the 2A playoffs this year and has no team to talk about.
One post there on page 3 of the 3A board (Freedom) he says: I'm hearing from some people it's between Mike propst and hickory assistant natoli. Unless secret dark horse candidate. Then Saturday after probably a half dozen names coming up as the Freedom new coach he says this: Saturday at 6:40 PM post #154 page 4, So a bear just not a black bear more of a stone bear 😂 and Saturday at 6:44 he starts it on this thread post # 10 saying: So is rumors true mt airy coach may be going to freedom to coach ??. This after playing mind games on the 3A Freedom thread. He wants everyone to think he is in the know between the 1A boards and the 3A boards and he is a 2A Maiden Blue Devil Fan. Now go watch the 3A boards for Freedom's coach and see what is going on. Is Amaidendevil just after attention or does he know more than everyone else ? It is possible he knows someone who said something to him that gave him that idea.
We will see if my sources are wrong or not 🤷🏼‍♂️. And to say we have no team to talk about is ridiculous on that part. Yeah Salisbury got us good but we only had 2 starting seniors on that team

Last edited:
More on how coach Adkins got to Mount Airy after graduating from Appalachian State in 2001 from the Watauga Democrat.Com, So why would he leave now, maybe because he is on top and won't take a chance of not winning it all this coming year. I guess we will know soon if he is leaving. For me, I hope he stays at least until the changes go into effect in 2025.

Last edited:
he’s not looking for attention. He doesn’t know more than everyone else because everyone else knows he’s applied for and interviewed for the freedom job. I’ve heard as much as he’s took the job. My sources ain’t coming from around where we live they are coming from coworkers that work down in that area that know a little bit about things that happen. It’s his right to be able to move closer to family before he retires. It’s not about winning football games and I’m sure if freedom has any level of talent they’ll be instant winners when he steps on campus and gets after it.

he’s not looking for attention. He doesn’t know more than everyone else because everyone else knows he’s applied for and interviewed for the freedom job. I’ve heard as much as he’s took the job. My sources ain’t coming from around where we live they are coming from coworkers that work down in that area that know a little bit about things that happen. It’s his right to be able to move closer to family before he retires. It’s not about winning football games and I’m sure if freedom has any level of talent they’ll be instant winners when he steps on campus and gets after it.
Smartest thing you ever said on here eye. He does deserve that. There are basically 2 or three top echelon head coaches on that bears staff right now. And one who has also been one. They will be alright if he goes. Even in 3a no teams. Are gonna move the ball consistently on that defense. They are one of the few schools that make sure their best guys and they ha e alot of them play defense for sure

I know Kelly Holder has been on staff....who are the others that you speak of?

Well obviously you have him. The co defensive coordinators I don't think I've ever been a head coaches but they could be according to what I hear more like. And how they handle themselves. And I believe the new guy they had this year came from the coast and was a head coach there.

Kelly retired this year so he won’t be an option can’t coach in any capacity till June/July time frame I’m guessing. The other option they are referring to is the older DC whose got to be close to retiring… he looks to be an old man like me so I’d assume he’s getting to that point in life. The other co DC I have no idea about I think it’s the older DC’s son. I don’t question that they’ll be okay because they’ll always have enough athletes to compete in conference and win conference sometimes. If JK is gone their weight program will go back down and over time they’ll go back to being a really good regional school that doesn’t win the big game. Hence the drought from 60s to 08.

Reactions: REWhitley
If Adkins is indeed leaving I would be very surprised. That being said, I still think Mount Airy would be the favorite to come out of the west. Yeah they graduated a phenomenal class from this past year's team. But the talent they have coming up is just as good. I'll be SHOCKED if Mount Airy is not at minimum in the regional finals

Kelly retired this year so he won’t be an option can’t coach in any capacity till June/July time frame I’m guessing. The other option they are referring to is the older DC whose got to be close to retiring… he looks to be an old man like me so I’d assume he’s getting to that point in life. The other co DC I have no idea about I think it’s the older DC’s son. I don’t question that they’ll be okay because they’ll always have enough athletes to compete in conference and win conference sometimes. If JK is gone their weight program will go back down and over time they’ll go back to being a really good regional school that doesn’t win the big game. Hence the drought from 60s to 08.
If the person applies that I think will apply and if he gets hired he has a good weight lifting program

If the person applies that I think will apply and if he gets hired he has a good weight lifting program
The biggest issue with an outsider coming in to Mount Airy is that theirs a lot of outsiders on that staff that I’d expect to see leaving. I could see grissom going back to help Elkin. Idk where Pardue would go but he is a starmount alum who has been a HC before and was an assistant on good starmount teams. The two kids from East were the OL coaches. That four coaches I’d expect to be gone and they won’t be easily replaced. The next thing is getting kids to buy in after losing not only their HC but 4 position coaches. MA talent wise is good enough to get it done next year on talent but it will be a tall order. The conference should be close with Starmount having a lot of talent as well and a great coach. I’m excited to see how it shakes out

The biggest issue with an outsider coming in to Mount Airy is that theirs a lot of outsiders on that staff that I’d expect to see leaving. I could see grissom going back to help Elkin. Idk where Pardue would go but he is a starmount alum who has been a HC before and was an assistant on good starmount teams. The two kids from East were the OL coaches. That four coaches I’d expect to be gone and they won’t be easily replaced. The next thing is getting kids to buy in after losing not only their HC but 4 position coaches. MA talent wise is good enough to get it done next year on talent but it will be a tall order. The conference should be close with Starmount having a lot of talent as well and a great coach. I’m excited to see how it shakes out
You are assuming or wishing that all of these assistant coaches are leaving. I am hearing they are staying. Holder is just retiring from teaching and not coaching. He has a son who is at Davie County that would be a great candidate and he could also fill that vacant math teacher spot.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
NC public school employees can't come back into the school system in any capacity once retired for 6 months. This includes coaches.

They're not even supposed to be on campus anytime during those 6 months.

Who is that? Cause I am hearing these rumors from good sources on Adkins leaving and I am also hearing that Holder wants the job. I am also hearing that Claybo is interested in a positions job along with Chris Johnson. All from good sources. Interested in who you are talking about with the weight program. Obviously the bears have a lot returning, obviously they should win the west and defend their title. The interesting part for me is if Kelly does return and the arm that he has under center is how he uses him in the offense. The backfield is loaded. All interesting in my mind

Who is that? Cause I am hearing these rumors from good sources on Adkins leaving and I am also hearing that Holder wants the job. I am also hearing that Claybo is interested in a positions job along with Chris Johnson. All from good sources. Interested in who you are talking about with the weight program. Obviously the bears have a lot returning, obviously they should win the west and defend their title. The interesting part for me is if Kelly does return and the arm that he has under center is how he uses him in the offense. The backfield is loaded. All interesting in my mind
He wouldn’t be able to coach or be on campus again until July but July has two dead periods so he essentially couldn’t coach until August. If he wanted it back this was the worst case scenario.

From the ones I have heard from and the ones that are really in the know of what goes on at Mount Airy football not chiming in that Adkins is not going anywhere I take it that chances are better than 75% that JK Adkins is leaving Mount Airy, I would say sad day but I am sure there will be as good if not better coaches will be applying for the job and Mount Airy has always made great choices for their coaches. Thank you, JK for your 6 years and 2 State Championships ! One more thing everyone has seen how important the weight room is and Mount Airy has a nice weight room and it will be used if a kid wants to play football at Mount Airy, in my opinion.

Last edited:
If Adkins leaves would ma go back to being spread or stay triple option. I remember when holder was the coach in 2017 they were a spread team.

From the ones I have heard from and the ones that are really in the know of what goes on at Mount Airy football not chiming in that Adkins is not going anywhere I take it that chances are better than 75% that JD Adkins is leaving Mount Airy, I would say sad day but I am sure there will be as good if not better coaches will be applying for the job and Mount Airy has always made great choices for their coaches. Thank you, JD for your 6 years and 2 State Championships ! One more thing everyone has seen how important the weight room is and Mount Airy has a nice weight room and it will be used if a kid wants to play football at Mount Airy, in my opinion.
Doesn’t even know his name.

Basically the candidate for the job if he wants it is holder. If he doesn't want it I'm pretty sure the young Taylor would be the best choice I think he's the future head coach anyway. I think everybody's thinking that the arm under center will do something different. What they have is a special offense that is immediately upon you. It is very complicated on the offensive line from what I understand. And from what I understand either one of those two guys are going anywhere. In fact the only person leaving would be the head coach. Which is a big loss. But if the offensive line knows what it's doing. And Kelly holder who does not have to be off campus for 6 months that is a total fallacy he only has to be off campus in a full-time capacity. He coached this past year after he retired. So you are wrong. And guess who's field is not part of campus so it's a moot point anyway. I like these people who think they know everything. I'm not sure about the coaches you talked about. I think one or two of them is volunteers. So that may change things. They may not want to volunteer for it anyone else. I don't think clabo would have a shot other than coaching the offensive line. But he's going to have to do what someone else says to do. And I certainly wouldn't think that Chris Johnson would be coming back. He's done a pretty poor job everywhere he's been. So in my opinion and I no longer have anyone in the mix of Mount Airy as far as playing. I don't think they're going to miss a beat. They got some guys on staff that can take up the a-hole mentality a level. Because that's what they'll have to do. I think he brought that more than anything. And if the young Taylor guy gets the job he'll be the weightlifting coach.

This
Basically the candidate for the job if he wants it is holder. If he doesn't want it I'm pretty sure the young Taylor would be the best choice I think he's the future head coach anyway. I think everybody's thinking that the arm under center will do something different. What they have is a special offense that is immediately upon you. It is very complicated on the offensive line from what I understand. And from what I understand either one of those two guys are going anywhere. In fact the only person leaving would be the head coach. Which is a big loss. But if the offensive line knows what it's doing. And Kelly holder who does not have to be off campus for 6 months that is a total fallacy he only has to be off campus in a full-time capacity. He coached this past year after he retired. So you are wrong. And guess who's field is not part of campus so it's a moot point anyway. I like these people who think they know everything. I'm not sure about the coaches you talked about. I think one or two of them is volunteers. So that may change things. They may not want to volunteer for it anyone else. I don't think clabo would have a shot other than coaching the offensive line. But he's going to have to do what someone else says to do. And I certainly wouldn't think that Chris Johnson would be coming back. He's done a pretty poor job everywhere he's been. So in my opinion and I no longer have anyone in the mix of Mount Airy as far as playing. I don't think they're going to miss a beat. They got some guys on staff that can take up the a-hole mentality a level. Because that's what they'll have to do. I think he brought that more than anything. And if the young Taylor guy gets the job he'll be the weightlifting coach.

That’s a whole lot of cope for an East Surry fan.

Just my opinion I actually have no inside info on this I just feel like he will definitely apply for the job. But let's say he wouldn't be the "low man" on the totem pole

Just my opinion I actually have no inside info on this I just feel like he will definitely apply for the job. But let's say he wouldn't be the "low man" on the totem pole
WOW, make up your know-it-all mind ! You have been saying he was going to Freedom from your insider's knowledge that you trusted. Are you just here to get attention because your team is a loser after losing round 2 of 2A this past year? You are playing people on the 1A and 3A boards like you know it is a done deal already. Maybe Freedom will see all the moves he has made and so he may not be the top man on that totem pole. I say his mind may be made up but is Freedom's still thinking about it ? Best of luck to him whatever he decides to do but sometimes a person can make too many moves and be better off where they have a winning record like he has.

WOW, make up your know-it-all mind ! You have been saying he was going to Freedom from your insider's knowledge that you trusted. Are you just here to get attention because your team is a loser after losing round 2 of 2A this past year? You are playing people on the 1A and 3A boards like you know it is a done deal already. Maybe Freedom will see all the moves he has made and so he may not be the top man on that totem pole. I say his mind may be made up but is Freedom's still thinking about it ? Best of luck to him whatever he decides to do but sometimes a person can make too many moves and be better off where they have a winning record like he has.
What the hell u talking about I'm talking about applying for y'all's opening if it comes not freedom. And u sure as hell sit high on the horse for a 1A school. I doubt y'all make it past 2nd round in 2a playoffs. 2a is probably the most competitive class in NC. Year in year perennial powerhouse programs. I'm gonna find it really funny in a couple years when y'all gotta go through Shelby every year maybe Reidsville. Hell Lincolnton. Sorry ur so butt hurt over this. Maybe aunt bee has some salve to soothe it for you

Reactions: BigRedFan27
What the hell u talking about I'm talking about applying for y'all's opening if it comes not freedom. And u sure as hell sit high on the horse for a 1A school. I doubt y'all make it past 2nd round in 2a playoffs. 2a is probably the most competitive class in NC. Year in year perennial powerhouse programs. I'm gonna find it really funny in a couple years when y'all gotta go through Shelby every year maybe Reidsville. Hell Lincolnton. Sorry ur so butt hurt over this. Maybe aunt bee has some salve to soothe it for you
If that is your opinion of Mount Airy then why are you down on the 1A boards jumping back and forth to the 3A boards instead of talking on the 2A board about how much better Maiden is going to be this year after getting the back sides handed to them by Salisbury 40-0 in the 2nd round back in December ? Can they improve that much in 2024? Go tell it on the 2A board, I don't think anyone on the 1A cares to hear about your 2A school but you sure are making 1A Mount Airy and 3A Freedom your business ! By the way, Maiden would have also lost to Mount Airy in the 2nd round this past year by probably close to the same score. I think if Mount Airy has to move up to 3A the schools you mentioned could be going up to 4A or 5A, only time will tell not you. Better luck to Maiden next year.

If that is your opinion of Mount Airy then why are you down on the 1A boards jumping back and forth to the 3A boards instead of talking on the 2A board about how much better Maiden is going to be this year after getting the back sides handed to them by Salisbury 40-0 in the 2nd round back in December ? Can they improve that much in 2024? Go tell it on the 2A board, I don't think anyone on the 1A cares to hear about your 2A school but you sure are making 1A Mount Airy and 3A Freedom your business ! By the way, Maiden would have also lost to Mount Airy in the 2nd round this past year by probably close to the same score. I think if Mount Airy has to move up to 3A the schools you mentioned could be going up to 4A or 5A, only time will tell not you.
Unless ADMs vastly change Shelby is projected to be with y'all in 3a. They avg around 750-775 students. We will be in 4a we will probably be close to 900-950 students by then. Also we graduated 20 plus seniors year before last we expected a drop off last season only 2 starting seniors and a team full of sophomore and juniors. We will be fine this season. But everyone is playing to get to Reidsville as long as they have Harrison and Neal and all the other 5 star kids that move in there.

I truly do not know a Mt Airy sole that wants him to leave. Not ONE. But if I were a Freedom Fan, even a Burke County Fan (which I kind of am since I lived in Valdese for 4 years, and really fell in love with Burke County) I would pray 5 times a day for JK to come home to Burke County. Dream come true.

But understand what he is leaving if he does: a good bet, a REALLY GOOD BET, to be in the State Championship game the next two years. That is how much talent he has on this team here in Little Ole Mt Airy. Just think what that does to a coaches' resume. To up his odds for being inducted to the NC High School Hall of Fame.

The chance at 72 straight wins. He could, and might should be elected Mayor for Life!!!!!!

Unless ADMs vastly change Shelby is projected to be with y'all in 3a. They avg around 750-775 students. We will be in 4a we will probably be close to 900-950 students by then. Also we graduated 20 plus seniors year before last we expected a drop off last season only 2 starting seniors and a team full of sophomore and juniors. We will be fine this season. But everyone is playing to get to Reidsville as long as they have Harrison and Neal and all the other 5 star kids that move in there.
Mount Airy's ADMs were 614 for the 2023-2024 season and that was up from the 2022-2023 season of 577. So they may be back down by 2025 or they may fall into the 2As.
2022-2023 = https://www.nchsaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/2022-23-ADMs-for-Member-Schools1.pdf

2023-2024 = https://www.nchsaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Online2023-24_NCHSAA_ADMNumber.pdf

Mount Airy's ADMs were 614 for the 2023-2024 season and that was up from the 2022-2023 season of 577. So they may be back down by 2025 or they may fall into the 2As.
2022-2023 = https://www.nchsaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/2022-23-ADMs-for-Member-Schools1.pdf

2023-2024 = https://www.nchsaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Online2023-24_NCHSAA_ADMNumber.pdf
It's a rough projection I'm going by I've never said it's set in stone but early projection had 3a starting around 580 kids and ending around 775 kids give or take. Which puts Shelby in there with some of our other local schools. It's gonna break some of our conference rivalries up. Once again all can change with ADM changes and or state law changes. Charter and parochial schools and what to do with them will be huge question mark also.

I truly do not know a Mt Airy sole that wants him to leave. Not ONE. But if I were a Freedom Fan, even a Burke County Fan (which I kind of am since I lived in Valdese for 4 years, and really fell in love with Burke County) I would pray 5 times a day for JK to come home to Burke County. Dream come true.

But understand what he is leaving if he does: a good bet, a REALLY GOOD BET, to be in the State Championship game the next two years. That is how much talent he has on this team here in Little Ole Mt Airy. Just think what that does to a coaches' resume. To up his odds for being inducted to the NC High School Hall of Fame.

The chance at 72 straight wins. He could, and might should be elected Mayor for Life!!!!!!
We have been praying constantly for that and I even considered sacrificing a goat but realized that would only piss off the Burns fans*.

*may they never live down the great goat incident of 2012, which also brought momentary greatness to Freedom high school.

If he leaves Mt airy he will not win state in 3a next season if he stays he s got good chance of winning state if he does leave we at Mt Airy they still have great chance of winning state pick your poison now

It's a rough projection I'm going by I've never said it's set in stone but early projection had 3a starting around 580 kids and ending around 775 kids give or take. Which puts Shelby in there with some of our other local schools. It's gonna break some of our conference rivalries up. Once again all can change with ADM changes and or state law changes. Charter and parochial schools and what to do with them will be huge question mark also.
Seems I have read a lot of talk about not having enough teams for 1A with those projections so something may change for a lot of teams. As I said, time will tell and Maiden may only move up to 3A, good luck.

Seems I have read a lot of talk about not having enough teams for 1A with those projections so something may change for a lot of teams. As I said, time will tell and Maiden may only move up to 3A.
Depends on new housing developments being built here and how many kids it brings in 🤷🏼‍♂️ I'm estimating anywhere between 900 -1000 kids by then

• Wow
He didn’t coach after he retired. He retired after the first semester. The first semester ended at Christmas break. It’s not a total fallacy it’s in the NCHSAA handbook. A teacher who retires cannot coach for 6 months. Holder retired mid year so he’d be eligible to coach football again in July or August. He can’t hold any position at mount airy highschool until he meets that 6month criteria.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT