ADVERTISEMENT

Havelock vs Charlotte Catholic

Appreciate the message NC Jeff. When making important points I will always lean to pointing out positions based with evidential basis versus emotional basis. That method has proven to have less bias to live by.

I will say this and it is of course an emotional thought becuase who knows. Havelock's coach made a comment that he felt if we played 10 times each team would win 5 games. I disagree with his assessment and believe he was being kind. We feel fortunate to have won that game and maybe we win 3 out of 10. Now I knew many of the opinions being exposed by Rams fans that they would score points in bunches and we would not be able to tackle #21 was bogus. I was more worried about moving the ball and scoring which turns out to be a big issue. The difference last night turned out to be our experience in playing in tough tight games.
I was most impressed with Catholic's defense. Those boys can really tackle. Hold on to your coach and his staff. I think one day some college coaches may be knocking on his and/or his staffs door. Based on what I saw last night I feel it would be a 6 to 4 split with Catholic holding the edge if they played 10 times. Last, what grade is your QB in? He throws well!

I was most impressed with Catholic's defense. Those boys can really tackle. Hold on to your coach and his staff. I think one day some college coaches may be knocking on his and/or his staffs door. Based on what I saw last night I feel it would be a 6 to 4 split with Catholic holding the edge if they played 10 times. Last, what grade is your QB in? He throws well!
Sophomore QB, Sean Boyle is his name. His future is bright!

Reactions: ncjeff
CC charges tuition. 100% fact
CC doesn’t have geographical boundaries. 100% fact
What am I missing? It’s a private or semi-private school competing against public schools. That’s the argument. Private schools shouldn’t compete for state championships against public schools.
Nobody is arguing some of the differences that exist. When Catholic petitioned the public school leagues to compete with them, conditions were laid out to address some of the real and perceived differences. Catholic has honored those conditions. They can't recruit from the public schools. If a kid decides to transfer from a public school, he must lay out a year of athletic participation. In the beginning, out of state transfers had to come from a Catholic school otherwise, they also had to sit out a year. Academic scholarships could not be provided to those participating in athletics. 95% or more of their student body comes from the elementary and middle schools which are scattered all over the city of Charlotte. Boundaries are a pragmatic thing. Distance becomes a hardship. Example, two years ago Catholic had a 2 year starter play two games his senior year, transfer to Hunter Huss and play the next week. His mother took a job in Gastonia and moved there. The reverse couldn't happen. When Catholic first started in the public school league, they won 2 games in three years and nobody was complaining.

Face it. You don't like the fact that Catholic is slightly different despite the fact they are willing to accept the conditions to participate. You don't like the fact they are successful. Even more bluntly, you simply don't like Catholic as you have made abundantly clear in your postings the past 15 hours. You are entitled to your opinion but you exhausted your credibility 14 and a half hours ago. Enough of the whining. Your bigotry is starting to show.

I’m still jealous of that massive parking deck that CC has over there lol
Crest had a role in that deck. So did AL Brown. In the two years when Bullard teams came in and thumped Catholic twice in the semifinal rounds, the parking and bleachers were proved to be inadequate. Crest and AL Brown fans swarmed the stadium is some of those late round games. Great atmosphere but a little tight. Both have been expanded. Should be able to accommodate visitors that travel with their teams much better.

Reactions: Crestuff
When a kid transfers from a public school as a football player as a junior and then plays for charlotte catholic as a senior, is he paying the 15,000 dollars it costs to attend Charlotte catholic?
Everybody pays, although I don't think the unsubsidized rate is quite that much. Catholics in good standing with a parish will get a discount from their parish. Parish priests are cheap so you better be financially supporting your local church for that backing. A good athlete with college scholarship potential cannot afford to transfer their junior year and lose one year of eligibility, even if money is no object for the parents. Some kids will get academic support and scholarships, but a condition is that those students cannot participate on any of the athletic teams. As successful as the program has been, transferring to it in mid-stream is an extremely unattractive proposition for a talented athlete.

Reactions: Hog_1982
You want to see an advantage? Just look at Mater Dei and St. John Bosco in California. They openly recruit far and wide. Catholic doesn’t.
Same for some of the New Jersey, Florida and Maryland schools. They openly recruit. They even have boarding students living on campus from out of state. Good Counsel actually has a recruiting coordinator on their staff. When Gonzaga played against Catholic back in 2013, they flew in a chartered jet. They had 13 D1 commits at the start of that season. The next week, they were playing in Florida. By the way, Catholic beat Gonzaga 35-28. They had 13 D1 commits but they didn't have a 5 star. Elijah Hood had over 300 yards of offense that day. Gonzaga also played like they had never seen a Wing T either.

That is my belief too. There just arent many teams for Havelock TO play that are on an elite level down that way. Same goes for the lower classes too. Sometimes a world beater WILL come out of the east and win the title, but just as often, if not more so, they are very average at best in that end of the state, No way to know until that title game. Havelock is also one of the very rare teams that will attempt a pass now and then. It seems sacrilege for teams to pass down there IDK why.
Ask Catholic, now that they are moving up to 4A, I am sure that they would be open to a scrimmage or early season game going forward. Charlotte Christian and Country Day also are willing to take on all comers early in the season and can compete at the highest level in NC year end and year out. Keep asking. Those early season tests where you might get your butt kicked will open your eyes and make you better, especially if you feast on nothing but cupcakes during the regular season.

Same for some of the New Jersey, Florida and Maryland schools. They openly recruit. They even have boarding students living on campus from out of state. Good Counsel actually has a recruiting coordinator on their staff. When Gonzaga played against Catholic back in 2013, they flew in a chartered jet. They had 13 D1 commits at the start of that season. The next week, they were playing in Florida. By the way, Catholic beat Gonzaga 35-28. They had 13 D1 commits but they didn't have a 5 star. Elijah Hood had over 300 yards of offense that day. Gonzaga also played like they had never seen a Wing T either.
I remember that game. I was there. Gonzaga had pretty good tailgating too.

• Haha
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Yes, they never see the wingT in the WCAC.

Lol u act as if this game couldn’t have gone either way please shut up
It went one way. Not yours. Their discipline is your doom. By the way just like I told you early on the East simply does not compare to the football we play in the West. Catholic had a good football team this year. They weren’t great. We tore through them and we were mediocre.

Good luck next year.

We definitely don't take that wrong, u are correct 100%. Here is the issue with that tho, we had games set against Dillon SC the last 2 years that fell thru from weather and covid. We had a team from NJ coming down, covid killed that. New Bern is our rival who went to thr Eastern finals didn't play us cuz of covid. We have a hard time finding team that will even play us, we ask everyone within decent traveling distance and we are not a school with an abundance of money so we won't be going too far.
a true shame, those tests might have been the difference they needed in a close game like this. We knew going in HH was going to have to help us a little with some miscues, and I really believe without the bad snaps and penalties HH would have scored two, maybe three more times. Sounds like this damn covid thing really wrecked the competitive part of your schedule. I applaud you guys for trying to schedule more competitive teams and think it will really pay off for HH .

Change your diaper.

crier_zpsfef4d31c.jpg
Change your affiliation to NCISSA with the rest of the private schools in the state.

Reactions: UNC91
Change your affiliation to NCISSA with the rest of the private schools in the state.
I'll just chalk up your feelings to one of two things. Or maybe both.
1. You're an anti-Catholic(religion, not the school) bigot. OR
2. A team you "coached" was put out by Catholic in the playoffs at some point or a team you maybe had a kid play on was beaten/put out by CC.
Am I correct "coach"?

2. A team you "coached" was put out by Catholic in the playoffs at some point or a team you maybe had a kid play on was beaten/put out by CC.
Am I correct "coach"?
Or maybe a third choice, a wild card could be....you're from Kannapolis.

The other Cougars (4AA) are up 3 scores over the 4AA Rams in 4th quarter

The mountain cougars lost to the rams in 2A game

Last edited:
Reactions: CatholicCougs14
Am I correct "coach"?
It’s kind of funny you make those comments when you are on the Catholic coaching staff on a message board.

It’s kind of funny you make those comments when you are on the Catholic coaching staff on a message board.
Do I need to write sarcasm in big letters? Not everything has to be serious all the time. To quote someone on this board....it's just words.

Do I need to write sarcasm in big letters? Not everything has to be serious all the time. To quote someone on this board....it's just words.
You called the poster bigot. That’s not sarcasm. Enjoy your championship and let people rant about it.

remotecougar
"CC doesn’t have geographical boundaries. 100% fact"

Are you sure of this ? I seem to recall that there are boundaries - albeit larger than a typical school's.

Well looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, must be a duck.. however I will concede that if he is not a bigot which may be true.... then he can claim a second defense as a plain ol fashion Moran. For the record, that is not sarcasm.

You called the poster bigot. That’s not sarcasm. Enjoy your championship and let people rant about it.
I'm sure CatholicCougs14 said it in jest. I, on the other hand, have no compunction with calling him a bigot. Yes, we have all heard every argument over the years and some discussions have gotten rather heated but posters normally agreed to disagree and move on. But he takes it to a whole new level. He even got a warning from the moderator to cool it - See post #186. He offered nothing new to debate.

I normally cringe at what he says, but in this case I'll make an exception. footsoldier you have anything to add ?

It certainly did hijack the thread and I am just as much to blame as anyone. However, I did want to address one last parting message to Its just words... you guys are great and appreciated.. I did want to check on our bet.. did you learn to spell CATHOLIC correctly yet!

Why don’t you just let the kids enjoy their
Am I correct "coach"?
Bigot, bigotry. Flashy words in our current environment. I watched a very well coached Oddo CC team in 1977 beat Central Davidson in the second round on their way to a state championship. I also watched CC lose to Asheville Erwin. Saw CC beat Havelock in 2017 for a state title. I’ve never questioned the players or coaches at CC. As a prior coach nothing but respect for the players and coaches! You’re trying to make this discussion about football. Let’s me and you meet on a field. I’ll bring a 9,000 dollar assault rifle. You can have a single shot .22. Your highly educated I’m sure, but not smart enough to understand the analogy. You guys are too smart to know how fricking dumb you are! You’re definitely NOT a coach! Spend some time with less financially fortunate children. How many of those players attend CC? Just take your money and go join the other private schools where you belong.

Well looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, must be a duck.. however I will concede that if he is not a bigot which may be true.... then he can claim a second defense as a plain ol fashion Moran. For the record, that is not sarcasm.
At least you spelled sarcasm correctly...”Moran” 😂

Bigot, bigotry. Flashy words in our current environment. I watched a very well coached Oddo CC team in 1977 beat Central Davidson in the second round on their way to a state championship. I also watched CC lose to Asheville Erwin. Saw CC beat Havelock in 2017 for a state title. I’ve never questioned the players or coaches at CC. As a prior coach nothing but respect for the players and coaches! You’re trying to make this discussion about football. Let’s me and you meet on a field. I’ll bring a 9,000 dollar assault rifle. You can have a single shot .22. Your highly educated I’m sure, but not smart enough to understand the analogy. You guys are too smart to know how fricking dumb you are! You’re definitely NOT a coach! Spend some time with less financially fortunate children. How many of those players attend CC? Just take your money and go join the other private schools where you belong.
Ha! I’d reply, but guess I’m too stupid to know how to read this.

• Haha
Reactions: footsoldier
I'm sure CatholicCougs14 said it in jest. I, on the other hand, have no compunction with calling him a bigot. Yes, we have all heard every argument over the years and some discussions have gotten rather heated but posters normally agreed to disagree and move on. But he takes it to a whole new level. He even got a warning from the moderator to cool it - See post #186. He offered nothing new to debate.

I normally cringe at what he says, but in this case I'll make an exception. footsoldier you have anything to add ?
My friend the Hog it is always a good thing reading your fine words. As you can see the Havelock contingent has dropped some coal in their drawers because they thought they were too good to lose. They thought there wasn’t a snowballs chance for this young Catholic squad to show them the door, yet that is exactly what occurred and so because of that they play the cheat card which is all they have left on the table because we took ALL THEIR CHIPS.

Angry losers are anything but new on the prep boards and Havelock fans continue this tradition of blaming us for cheating when they are slapped back to the team bus with a reality check after playing cupcakes all season long. This simple truth rode all the way home with them. The silence of loss is deafening.

Perhaps our friends from Craven County didn’t enjoy that steaming plate of fresh crow but it’s all anyone gets when they line up on RED PAIN Enjoy your runner-up plaque AGAIN!!

6712BEBB-3A8F-44FF-BE7D-B5E023ACD5AB.jpeg

Hey,
If you hit the ignore button, it's like he never existed... Which is good for he really should be focusing all his efforts on the private school he wants to build...
Yessir done it myself. Wonderful feature. Hog what would be a good name for his new private school?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT