ADVERTISEMENT

Havelock vs Charlotte Catholic

Hmm.. something like "The Flat Earth Institute of Higher Learning" or "When the Saints Come Marching In Memorial". Let it open it up to the floor for suggestions

Reactions: footsoldier
Hmm.. something like "The Flat Earth Institute of Higher Learning" or "When the Saints Come Marching In Memorial". Let it open it up to the floor for suggestions
🤣🤣😂

1. Second Best Academy

2. St. Jude Prep

3. Craven County Conservatory………“Home of the Criers” 😢

Reactions: Hog_1982
or
1970: Olympic 47 Catholic 8
1971: Olympic 72 Catholic 0
1972: Olympic 35 Catholic 0

God, I hated the Rhinos brothers...
We've paid our dues and someday we will pay them again - but hopefully not for a long time
Hog. They got paid. Many times over. Oddo came in '73. About 6 years later, they played Olympic. Had them down 22-0 before they scored some style points late in the 4th quarter. Olympic wouldn't play them again. In 2004 they got put in a 3A/4A conference with Olympic and other Charlotte teams. They owned Olympic. Olympic won 1 time in all those years and was often the 4A champ in the conference. In many of those games, Catholic could have run up the score but chose not to. Had the mercy rule been in place at that time, the clock would have been running non stop in many of those games. A lot of 2nd teamers and sophomores got a lot of playing time against Olympic.

Hog. They got paid. Many times over. Oddo came in '73. About 6 years later, they played Olympic. Had them down 22-0 before they scored some style points late in the 4th quarter. Olympic wouldn't play them again. In 2004 they got put in a 3A/4A conference with Olympic and other Charlotte teams. They owned Olympic. Olympic won 1 time in all those years and was often the 4A champ in the conference. In many of those games, Catholic could have run up the score but chose not to. Had the mercy rule been in place at that time, the clock would have been running non stop in many of those games. A lot of 2nd teamers and sophomores got a lot of playing time against Olympic.
Cougars went 3A in 2005. We go into Olympic the first time with their rust bucket visitor stands led by Craig Warnement under center w/“Big Ben” Herlocker in the backfield and “Say Hey” Matt Day right beside him. Tyler Bullard was chasing that hotshot QB Williams all over their backfield. He had to run out of bounds half the time or get plastered.

Except for 2009-a dark year for the Cougars-we own Olympic in football.

That is my belief too. There just arent many teams for Havelock TO play that are on an elite level down that way. Same goes for the lower classes too. Sometimes a world beater WILL come out of the east and win the title, but just as often, if not more so, they are very average at best in that end of the state, No way to know until that title game. Havelock is also one of the very rare teams that will attempt a pass now and then. It seems sacrilege for teams to pass down there IDK why.
Mule. Catholic kind of falls in that category of not liking to pass either. The joke around here is that a passing down and distance is 2nd and 1. Havelock made one key decision for that game. Catholic was not going to beat them with the run and they didn't. Not a bad strategy when you are facing a sophomore QB with limited throwing history. #1 for Havelock was all over the field and for this game was by far the best player on the field. However, he was making run stops for 1 and 2 yards from the safety position. Havelock threw a lot of bodies in the box and Catholic was able to throw just enough to win this game. Didn't want to but really had no choice. Fortunately for Catholic, they could play action enough to move the ball.

Cougars went 3A in 2005. We go into Olympic the first time with their rust bucket visitor stands led by Craig Warnement under center w/“Big Ben” Herlocker in the backfield and “Say Hey” Matt Day right beside him. Tyler Bullard was chasing that hotshot QB Williams all over their backfield. He had to run out of bounds half the time or get plastered.

Except for 2009-a dark year for the Cougars-we own Olympic in football.
When you get old, it all runs together Foot. Actually found a "Back to Back" T-shirt for 2004-2005. Won 2AA in '04, 3A in '05.

I love how Bosco has Latin quotes running down their game pants.
"Da Mihi Anima" - Give Me Souls
They have special reverence for the souls that have D1 potential. They get scholarships. The rest get just prayers.

My friend the Hog it is always a good thing reading your fine words. As you can see the Havelock contingent has dropped some coal in their drawers because they thought they were too good to lose. They thought there wasn’t a snowballs chance for this young Catholic squad to show them the door, yet that is exactly what occurred and so because of that they play the cheat card which is all they have left on the table because we took ALL THEIR CHIPS.

Angry losers are anything but new on the prep boards and Havelock fans continue this tradition of blaming us for cheating when they are slapped back to the team bus with a reality check after playing cupcakes all season long. This simple truth rode all the way home with them. The silence of loss is deafening.

Perhaps our friends from Craven County didn’t enjoy that steaming plate of fresh crow but it’s all anyone gets when they line up on RED PAIN Enjoy your runner-up plaque AGAIN!!

6712BEBB-3A8F-44FF-BE7D-B5E023ACD5AB.jpeg
I will say the cheating stuff isn’t coming from Havelock fans. Rarely does it ever come from teams we play. It’s always fans of teams we never play or rarely play.

Bigot, bigotry. Flashy words in our current environment. I watched a very well coached Oddo CC team in 1977 beat Central Davidson in the second round on their way to a state championship. I also watched CC lose to Asheville Erwin. Saw CC beat Havelock in 2017 for a state title. I’ve never questioned the players or coaches at CC. As a prior coach nothing but respect for the players and coaches! You’re trying to make this discussion about football. Let’s me and you meet on a field. I’ll bring a 9,000 dollar assault rifle. You can have a single shot .22. Your highly educated I’m sure, but not smart enough to understand the analogy. You guys are too smart to know how fricking dumb you are! You’re definitely NOT a coach! Spend some time with less financially fortunate children. How many of those players attend CC? Just take your money and go join the other private schools where you belong.
No! You deal with it!

Does anyone remember “Sad Sam”, the Charlotte Observer anonymous staff writer who use to give out the papers football predications ?
Or BigWays' John Boy and Billie who play Gregorian Chants when giving out their projections of Catholic’s game of the week…

A walk though memory lane..... (sigh)...

No! You deal with it!
mrhonda
I’ve enjoyed your sage commentary over the years and wanted to Thank you for it and please keep it up.

Can I offer you some advice ? Obviously, our friend has said something that set you off. I would suggest putting him on Ignore. If he had a truly valid argument, people would be lining up in his support. The more people that ignore him the sooner he will slink back into the hole from where he came from because he not getting the reaction he so desperately craves. Plus, he really should be working on that school he been promising us. Just thought I would pass it along..... Read you next year.

Does anyone remember “Sad Sam”, the Charlotte Observer anonymous staff writer who use to give out the papers football predications ?
Or BigWays' John Boy and Billie who play Gregorian Chants when giving out their projections of Catholic’s game of the week…

A walk though memory lane..... (sigh)...
Even before then, Jay Thomas (who went on to a career in Hollywood) on WAYS got into a lot of trouble with the nuns. He once said he saw the Sisters of Mercy streaking across the football field wearing nothing but their veils on a Friday morning on his way to work. Sister Rosiland was not amused. He also had a guest prognosticator "from Belmont" who accused the nuns of swinging their rosary beads over their heads during games and throwing hexes on the visiting teams. We have come a long way.

Reactions: Hog_1982
Even before then, Jay Thomas (who went on to a career in Hollywood) on WAYS got into a lot of trouble with the nuns. He once said he saw the Sisters of Mercy streaking across the football field wearing nothing but their veils on a Friday morning on his way to work. Sister Rosiland was not amused. He also had a guest prognosticator "from Belmont" who accused the nuns of swinging their rosary beads over their heads during games and throwing hexes on the visiting teams. We have come a long way.
WHAT????

mrhonda
I’ve enjoyed your sage commentary over the years and wanted to Thank you for it and please keep it up.

Can I offer you some advice ? Obviously, our friend has said something that set you off. I would suggest putting him on Ignore. If he had a truly valid argument, people would be lining up in his support. The more people that ignore him the sooner he will slink back into the hole from where he came from because he not getting the reaction he so desperately craves. Plus, he really should be working on that school he been promising us. Just thought I would pass it along..... Read you next year.
He’s in ignore now. Thanks

Hey Cougs, congrats on another State title. Do you think this Catholic team is better than the 2014 team? I think this squad is much younger but curious on your thoughts.
2014 team was overall a pretty experienced team, lots of juniors, but many had played as sophomores or seen time as sophomores.
Tough to tell as both staff of 2014 and 2021 are relatively the same when it comes to several core guys.
The difference as you point out is youth from TE to TE this year we went: Freshamn, Sophomore, Senior, Sophomroe, Senior, Senior(soph rotated in), Junior. With a sophomore QB, one senior in the backfield paired with a couple juniors, a sophomore and a freshman.
Difference in 2021 and 2014 I believe is defense for 2021 team was much better than 2014, no disrespect to 2014 team which was a gritty team that won a number of close games that year, but this defense was out of this world.

I was at the '70-'72 games, although I spent the games running around in the back of end zone or sitting in the back of Doc's station wagon which he parked near the end zone and served as the team's "ambulance".

It was my brother's junior yr when Oddo took over the head coach job at Catholic.

I played all 4 years with 1977 team being my senior yr - So I'm pretty familiar with '77 game against Olympic and Rocky White (QB). Catholic's team was pretty special, its genesis was in the St Ann's "Saints" Pop Warner football team lead by Frank Lampke. That team, as I have been told, was the National Champions in their final season. We had a lot of good players : Nelis, Harris, Creason, Landy et el. But it all boil down to Lampke. He was a hell of a running back. You do realize Herlockers are related to the Lampkes though blood.

And my brother's son (nephew) added 1 or 2 state championships to Catholic's collection

But '71 game still stings...
Doc Kocak?

2014 team was overall a pretty experienced team, lots of juniors, but many had played as sophomores or seen time as sophomores.
Tough to tell as both staff of 2014 and 2021 are relatively the same when it comes to several core guys.
The difference as you point out is youth from TE to TE this year we went: Freshamn, Sophomore, Senior, Sophomroe, Senior, Senior(soph rotated in), Junior. With a sophomore QB, one senior in the backfield paired with a couple juniors, a sophomore and a freshman.
Difference in 2021 and 2014 I believe is defense for 2021 team was much better than 2014, no disrespect to 2014 team which was a gritty team that won a number of close games that year, but this defense was out of this world.
2014 team had a really good RB, forgot his name. The D did a really good job limiting Mike in the running game. Second half adjustments were really good for CC in the second half, especially on O. For the record, I have zero problems with CC playing with public schools. Just a really classy, solid well-run program. Congrats again on the 4-peat.

This year's defense was better, but 2014 offense was better

2014 team had a really good RB, forgot his name. The D did a really good job limiting Mike in the running game. Second half adjustments were really good for CC in the second half, especially on O. For the record, I have zero problems with CC playing with public schools. Just a really classy, solid well-run program. Congrats again on the 4-peat.
Jaret Anderson was the RB, but Ryan Miller was also a standout. Moved from QB to 2back/receiver his senior year and lit up some teams. Special teams on the 2014 were outstanding also, think we had seven kick off returns for touchdowns.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
No! You deal with it!

He is not capable of dealing with it. In retrospect, I should have used your strategy and simple said deal with it and go away and then ignored him as this thread is about Havelock and Catholic game. Don't ruined the moment for the kids and the back and forth between the Havelock and CCHS fans. Since we have our Foot we have to accept any good nature sarcastic talk from opponents. As Its Just Words proclaimed, "It is in good fun" Havelock has been a consistent high quality program and has been ranked ahead of us all year. They had a right to believe in their team as they did.

Mr Blackhawk (with some assist from a few of us) received a forum to hijack and spout his ill-advised rant. Of course this was to the detriment and enjoyment of Havelock and Catholic fans. I guess I forgot never to get into an argument with an idiot as it will only lower you to their level. Then you have two idiots.

In closing, I appreciate your predictions ( even if they make me scratch my head). It adds something to the boards. To all of the Havelock fans I am sure you would have been just as gracious in victory as you were in defeat and we feel fortunate to have won the game. Nothing but praise for you and your program.

Even to the Crest fans who may not have been pulling for us but did defend us, Screw you and your Green Bay Packer look alike uniforms. What a sacrilege to impersonate Coach Lomabardi's chosen uniforms. I might hold you in contempt but I respect your program and for the way your kids always play the game. I also respect the way you engage and seem to understand the game. I always pull for you against Shelby, Huss and KM but no one else. BTW, lighten up on your coach, your team was very well prepared when they played us.

Next year is now next fall and with new conference associations. I can hardly wait!

Reactions: CatholicCougs14
Catholic pants would read: “Rubrum Pingere”
My friend, congratulations to you and Catholic Cougs14, on another state title. It has to feel good to be a Charlotte Catholic alumnus. You defied the odds. Heard you retired, if so, thanks for your many years of service.

*A little bit of a postal script: That would be one natty, attention getting slogan; but check the last word. I think it starts with a "d", like dolo dola.

There actually needs to be more private schools in public leagues that are allowed to recruit from anywhere to compete against Catholic.
But that would violate article four of the NCHSS organizational charter. See below.

• Membership. Any North Carolina public or non-boarding parochial high school is eligible. Currently private schools are not eligible. I am not sure whether parochial schools are eligible in the private school association. For sure there is a probation period of two years.. It has been determined nationwide that the Catholic parochial school system has much more in common with a public school than independent private schools. Its systems of elementary schools and middle schools more closely resembles public school systems and as such is typically included with high school athletic association charter's with public schools instead of private schools. Granted there are catholic high schools that act independent from their parochial roots. As such they are typically excluded from these charters for non parochial boarding schools and public schools. .

Last edited:
There actually needs to be more private schools in public leagues that are allowed to recruit from anywhere to compete against Catholic.
catholic does not recruit from anywhere. these are all the same kids on the 6,7 and 8th grade teams. Stud football players don't just show up en mass when high school rolls around. There are rules preventing that from Catholic and the nchsaa, and it flat out JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN. How some of you people come on here and just say whatever that you know nothing about is shocking. There are legit arguments that some people have that Catholic has advantages that others don't and ill debate anyone on those., But this crap from people like you who act like they know Catholic is recruiting athletes from a broad geographical area is complete BS. I hate to see these posts because other just as ignorant as you (or if possible more ignorant) might start believing them.

• Haha
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
He is not capable of dealing with it. In retrospect, I should have used your strategy and simple said deal with it and go away and then ignored him as this thread is about Havelock and Catholic game. Don't ruined the moment for the kids and the back and forth between the Havelock and CCHS fans. Since we have our Foot we have to accept any good nature sarcastic talk from opponents. As Its Just Words proclaimed, "It is in good fun" Havelock has been a consistent high quality program and has been ranked ahead of us all year. They had a right to believe in their team as they did.

Mr Blackhawk (with some assist from a few of us) received a forum to hijack and spout his ill-advised rant. Of course this was to the detriment and enjoyment of Havelock and Catholic fans. I guess I forgot never to get into an argument with an idiot as it will only lower you to their level. Then you have two idiots.

In closing, I appreciate your predictions ( even if they make me scratch my head). It adds something to the boards. To all of the Havelock fans I am sure you would have been just as gracious in victory as you were in defeat and we feel fortunate to have won the game. Nothing but praise for you and your program.

Even to the Crest fans who may not have been pulling for us but did defend us, Screw you and your Green Bay Packer look alike uniforms. What a sacrilege to impersonate Coach Lomabardi's chosen uniforms. I might hold you in contempt but I respect your program and for the way your kids always play the game. I also respect the way you engage and seem to understand the game. I always pull for you against Shelby, Huss and KM but no one else. BTW, lighten up on your coach, your team was very well prepared when they played us.

Next year is now next fall and with new conference associations. I can hardly wait!
I can promise you, The Crest fans who are here knows who Catholic is...we ain't gonna whine about borders or cheating. We know the pope boys can be beat.

It’s kind of funny you make those comments when you are on the Catholic coaching staff on a message board.
Ha! I’d reply, but guess I’m too stupid to know how to read this.
An active coach on a message board! Oh my! Let’s really talk facts “coach” Share with the public what CC’s ISP numbers are compared to the competition of public schools? For you that don’t know. ISP numbers are a measurement of children on free lunch and financial assistance. If you can’t connect the dots between having more wealth and the children being smarter as a result of that opportunity that wealth presents ... Of course running a scheme individual specific offense, with select smart players is going to have an advantage. Weddington kicks your ass because they have a very low ISP comparative to other public schools, and they have gotten tired of your underhanded bs. They currently are out coaching you! Their ISP is not lower than yours! You call yourself a coach? I’m sure you know wing t football. You’ve never had to be a replacement Dad for 10 or 12 players on ANY team that you’ve coached at CC. Take the rich private school kids and go where you belong! In the private league. You will have ample opportunity to screw the blue collar kids after IVY league. Thumping your chest beating less privileged kids? Class act Coach!

catholic does not recruit from anywhere. these are all the same kids on the 6,7 and 8th grade teams. Stud football players don't just show up en mass when high school rolls around. There are rules preventing that from Catholic and the nchsaa, and it flat out JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN. How some of you people come on here and just say whatever that you know nothing about is shocking. There are legit arguments that some people have that Catholic has advantages that others don't and ill debate anyone on those., But this crap from people like you who act like they know Catholic is recruiting athletes from a broad geographical area is complete BS. I hate to see these posts because other just as ignorant as you (or if possible more ignorant) might start believing them.
What’s your ISP compared to public schools? It MATTERS

You’re clearly a spoon fed, coat tail dragging ritchie rich. That’s your best reply? Have Daddy write you one and copy and paste. Deal with that mr. sniffles! Buy American btw!
Could say more but I’m not going to legitimize your posts. Mr. Sniffles? I’m not the one constantly complaining about Catholic. Again, quit whining, and deal with it. That’s what grown ups do.

Could say more but I’m not going to legitimize your posts. Mr. Sniffles? I’m not the one constantly complaining about Catholic. Again, quit whining, and deal with it. That’s what grown ups do.
You’re not going to legitimize my post? You pompous a$$ my post is supported by actual data! More like, Daddy goes to bed at 9:00 and I can’t disturb him to write me a reply.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT