ADVERTISEMENT

Havelock vs Charlotte Catholic

and I hope Havelock people won't take this wrong, I honestly think you guys had the more talented team and probably the better team. You HAVE GOT to get your guys experience in competitive games where a careless penalty or a bunch of bad snaps might cost you the game. And before you are playing for states. These ridicules 68-0 wins just don't help the kids understand that small details could come at a big cost. Schedule some potential losses so everyone understands details matter. I just don't think the depth of teams in the East prepares them for equal or even inferior teams in the West. We lost one game in our conference and could easily have lost four more (including this game) but we were battle tested and the kids knew the cost of a mistake.

Much respect to Havelock and #1 and #21 for playing hard and hurt. Also classy group of fans, players and coaches.

Reactions: ncjeff
How about all select Christians within a 30 mile radius of CC combine to form one school? Let’s dance
Sorry, but the school wants to retain it identify as a uniquely Catholic institution. But go ahead and form whatever school you want. You will, of course, have to conform to same rules that Catholic agreed to compete in the public schools league and submit an application for admittance to said league. Plus round a group of parents who would be willing to kick in $9.4k per student ($13.3k for non-Catholics) in tuition while paying taxes to support the public teams. Of course, the Catholics are require to be certified by the parish as contributing members or they will lose the discounted rate. Wait, we already got schools like that : Latin, Country Day, etc. But you go right ahead get your school going and after 71 years you too, might be able enjoy some of the success that the school does. But you will need to find your own Oddo.

Sorry, but the school wants to retain it identify as a uniquely Catholic institution. But go ahead and form whatever school you want. You will, of course, have to conform to same rules that Catholic agreed to compete in the public schools league and submit an application for admittance to said league. Plus round a group of parents who would be willing to kick in $9.4k per student ($13.3k for non-Catholics) in tuition while paying taxes to support the public teams. Of course, the Catholics are require to be certified by the parish as contributing members or they will lose the discounted rate. Wait, we already got schools like that : Latin, Country Day, etc. But you go right ahead get your school going and after 71 years you too, might be able enjoy some of the success that the school does. But you will need to find your own Oddo.
and to my fellow cougars, don't get to cocky - it wasn't that long ago : 2012: Northern Guilford 64 Catholic 26. Never forget ...

That was a good game to watch.I would guess the reason some people get upset is the fact Catholic is a private school competing against public schools for state championships.Knoxville Catholic went through this but just recently went to the private division in TN so they could start giving financial aid.Why not go private division in NC so you could start giving aid to kids and compete against the other private schools for state championships.

PS I bucket list high school game for me would be to see Charlotte Catholic and Knoxville Catholic play.

Last edited:
Simple answer - there are not enough good teams in the private leagues for Catholic to play. Got to play the best in the state to be the best in the state..

That was a good game to watch.I would guess the reason some people get upset is the fact Catholic is a private school competing against public schools for state championships.Knoxville Catholic went through this but just recently went to the private division in TN so they could start giving financial aid.Why not go private division in NC so you could start giving aid to kids and compete against the other private schools for state championships.

PS I bucket list high school game for me would be to see Charlotte Catholic and Knoxville Catholic play.
Why would we?

or
1970: Olympic 47 Catholic 8
1971: Olympic 72 Catholic 0
1972: Olympic 35 Catholic 0

God, I hated the Rhinos brothers...
We've paid our dues and someday we will pay them again - but hopefully not for a long time
They also cheated 😂😂 just kidding. Heard stories about the 1971 game.

Reactions: UNC91
CC’s advantage has been highlighted by previous CC posters. It’s great coaching at all levels starting with middle school. Continuity of schemes is also an advantage. I think some public schools in small areas can replicate the continuity to a certain extent.

l will contribute this on a personal note. Many times when your athletic ability is considered non-elite, you learn to take advantage of all resources. You pay more attention to coaching, live off fundamentals, stay disciplined, and always give max effort.

Those with elite athletic abilty may rely on their physical skills to make up for mistakes. (This is in no way to suggest Havelock has players like this, it’s just been my experience)

If you watched the game you saw some really good athletes for CC and better speed that many would expect.

Lastly, let me repeat my earlier post , coaching is 80% of the equation.

NC Jeff I appreciate your candor and appropriate approach to this question. You seem reasonable and I will try to provide a polite answer to where your argument falls short. First there is no data that suggests that larger geographic area for an enrollment to be pull from actually provides an advantage for athletics. You said it just seems logical to you but there is really no basis to support what seems logical. Take two large school and one has an area that is twice the size of another.. do they have an advantage.

With regard to Parochial schools. Since most of CCHS schools enrollment are made up of Catholics 90% (probably more) at CCHS and Catholic make up 5% of the population. How much bigger would the area need to be to fill our the same amount of students when you are only pulling from 5% of the population. it gets even more difficult when only a small % of catholics are in Catholic education. Now in the larger population areas the amount of Catholics is higher than 5% but given the realties of the student body your open enrollment argument is a little species with CCHS. Lately I see a whole lot more shenanigans going on with kids changing schools by changing districts. That does not happen at Catholic. if it was a huge advantage then we would have looked like the.team with more athletes tonight.
Hey Cougar, thanks for your response. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that larger geographical area stuff. Enjoyed watching how Catholic played last night. They are so well-coached!. Those Havelock kids were fun to watch too!

and I hope Havelock people won't take this wrong, I honestly think you guys had the more talented team and probably the better team. You HAVE GOT to get your guys experience in competitive games where a careless penalty or a bunch of bad snaps might cost you the game. And before you are playing for states. These ridicules 68-0 wins just don't help the kids understand that small details could come at a big cost. Schedule some potential losses so everyone understands details matter. I just don't think the depth of teams in the East prepares them for equal or even inferior teams in the West. We lost one game in our conference and could easily have lost four more (including this game) but we were battle tested and the kids knew the cost of a mistake.
We definitely don't take that wrong, u are correct 100%. Here is the issue with that tho, we had games set against Dillon SC the last 2 years that fell thru from weather and covid. We had a team from NJ coming down, covid killed that. New Bern is our rival who went to thr Eastern finals didn't play us cuz of covid. We have a hard time finding team that will even play us, we ask everyone within decent traveling distance and we are not a school with an abundance of money so we won't be going too far.

Already done. There is actually a high school in Charlotte called Charlotte Christian. You might have heard of them. They play at a very elite level and are always ranked as one of the top teams in NC. They also had a yearly rivalry with Catholic pre Covid. They are non denominational and draw from a broad geography too. They play in the NC private school league, but like Catholic, are willing to take on all comers. Catholics actually attend Charlotte Christian. Did you know Catholics are Christians too? Would they be allowed to play on your hypothetical select team?
Already done. There is actually a high school in Charlotte called Charlotte Christian. You might have heard of them. They play at a very elite level and are always ranked as one of the top teams in NC. They also had a yearly rivalry with Catholic pre Covid. They are non denominational and draw from a broad geography too. They play in the NC private school league, but like Catholic, are willing to take on all comers. Catholics actually attend Charlotte Christian. Did you know Catholics are Christians too? Would they be allowed to play on your hypothetical select team?
You’re referencing a private school in a supporting argument of CC competing against the public schools? Here’s an idea, let all the schools that charge tuition and have open enrollment compete against each other for state championships....

You guys using private school references, and boasting about paying tuition..... Sounds like a private school playing in a public school conference to me. Landscape has changed from 70 years ago. Why don’t you join Latin and Country Day?

Well.. I guess the North Carolina Christians should form a select high school to compete against Charlotte Catholic? Argument makes sense right?
You are demonstrating that you don't have the intellect to understand the differences of a student body that is derived from a majority of the population and one that is 5%. I am not surprised becuase you are so caught up in how you feel that you ignore basic facts in order to look for anything to promote how you feel.. From a society standpoint that can be a little dangerous. I have said this before.. there is nothing more ignorant than proclaiming with 100% certainty something that you know and understand so little about.

You are demonstrating that you don't have the intellect to understand the differences of a student body that is derived from a majority of the population and one that is 5%. I am not surprised becuase you are so caught up in how you feel that you ignore basic facts in order to look for anything to promote how you feel.. From a society standpoint that can be a little dangerous. I have said this before.. there is nothing more ignorant than proclaiming with 100% certainty something that you know and understand so little about.
CC charges tuition. 100% fact
CC doesn’t have geographical boundaries. 100% fact
What am I missing? It’s a private or semi-private school competing against public schools. That’s the argument. Private schools shouldn’t compete for state championships against public schools.

Hey Cougar, thanks for your response. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that larger geographical area stuff. Enjoyed watching how Catholic played last night. They are so well-coached!. Those Havelock kids were fun to watch too!

Appreciate the message NC Jeff. When making important points I will always lean to pointing out positions based with evidential basis versus emotional basis. That method has proven to have less bias to live by.

I will say this and it is of course an emotional thought becuase who knows. Havelock's coach made a comment that he felt if we played 10 times each team would win 5 games. I disagree with his assessment and believe he was being kind. We feel fortunate to have won that game and maybe we win 3 out of 10. Now I knew many of the opinions being exposed by Rams fans that they would score points in bunches and we would not be able to tackle #21 was bogus. I was more worried about moving the ball and scoring which turns out to be a big issue. The difference last night turned out to be our experience in playing in tough tight games.

Reactions: ncjeff
What am I missing? It’s a private or semi-private school competing against public schools. That’s the argument. Private schools shouldn’t compete for state championships against public schools.
All true but again that does not support an non biased argument that parochial schools should not be able to compete against public schools. You should educate yourself about the differences between parochial schools and private schools, however I can see your intellectual curiosity is lacking in that area. It is much easier for you not to seek knowledge as it might ruin a perfectly good emotional feeling you have. The argument has been settled in many High schools charters across the country as a positive for society. It really only becomes an issue like this in areas where the population of Catholics is so low as a percentage of the population. Consider the following as it has nothing to do with religion. There are lots of public schools that have booster clubs and get private donations just for athletics. It can become a huge inequality for competition. Should those schools be removed from competition their athletic programs gets more private donations.

Basically you really are stupid - Why don't you let the grownups talk and you children go outside and play...

We definitely don't take that wrong, u are correct 100%. Here is the issue with that tho, we had games set against Dillon SC the last 2 years that fell thru from weather and covid. We had a team from NJ coming down, covid killed that. New Bern is our rival who went to thr Eastern finals didn't play us cuz of covid. We have a hard time finding team that will even play us, we ask everyone within decent traveling distance and we are not a school with an abundance of money so we won't be going too far.
That is my belief too. There just arent many teams for Havelock TO play that are on an elite level down that way. Same goes for the lower classes too. Sometimes a world beater WILL come out of the east and win the title, but just as often, if not more so, they are very average at best in that end of the state, No way to know until that title game. Havelock is also one of the very rare teams that will attempt a pass now and then. It seems sacrilege for teams to pass down there IDK why.

And if you knew you would know why TK has always won. ... been in the game a minute RC...

Yeah I have.. lived in the Independence district and every year who do you think we scrimmaged at the beginning of the year.. yes that is right we scrimmaged Knotts. Yeah. Oddo like to see what he had early in the year and that means scrimmage Knotts. How ironic is that. You know what is also ironic.. it is never the schools in Charlotte catholics area that complain like you.. it is always someone from far away. Take your pacifier somewhere else.

• Haha
Reactions: footsoldier
When a kid transfers from a public school as a football player as a junior and then plays for charlotte catholic as a senior, is he paying the 15,000 dollars it costs to attend Charlotte catholic?

That is my belief too. There just arent many teams for Havelock TO play that are on an elite level down that way. Same goes for the lower classes too. Sometimes a world beater WILL come out of the east and win the title, but just as often, if not more so, they are very average at best in that end of the state, No way to know until that title game. Havelock is also one of the very rare teams that will attempt a pass now and then. It seems sacrilege for teams to pass down there IDK why.

Whoa Mule.. Point taken.. we don't like to throw it either but you guys made us throw it. We did not have a choice. I hope you can find a few games every year like that. It helps.

When a kid transfers from a public school as a football player as a junior and then plays for charlotte catholic as a senior, is he paying the 15,000 dollars it costs to attend Charlotte catholic?
AHS.

I am assuming you are talking about sitting out a year and playing. Yes you pay tuition and the tuition is different for Catholics who are in the parochial programs and not. While not exactly the same level of support a decade ago the parishes support the schools hence a difference in tuition for Catholic and non catholics. .

Last edited:
Only if his previous school signs off on him playing. If they don’t he would sit out 365 days from the day he began attending CCHS

remotecougar
"CC doesn’t have geographical boundaries. 100% fact"

Are you sure of this ? I seem to recall that there are boundaries - albeit larger than a typical school's.

remotecougar
"CC doesn’t have geographical boundaries. 100% fact"

Are you sure of this ? I seem to recall that there are boundaries - albeit larger than a typical school's.
There are. If you live outside of a 25 mile radius as the crow flies from the school you cannot play athletics. NCHSAA put that into place in 2012-13 time frame.

You’re referencing a private school in a supporting argument of CC competing against the public schools? Here’s an idea, let all the schools that charge tuition and have open enrollment compete against each other for state championships....
You want to see an advantage? Just look at Mater Dei and St. John Bosco in California. They openly recruit far and wide. Catholic doesn’t.

You guys using private school references, and boasting about paying tuition..... Sounds like a private school playing in a public school conference to me. Landscape has changed from 70 years ago. Why don’t you join Latin and Country Day?
Why don’t you just let the kids enjoy their championship.

and he pays the $15k tuition - right ?
Yes still pays $15k tuition unless a practicing Catholic(member of parish and verified presence at mass 46 to 48 weeks a year). Those are requirements to get discount, diocese/priests are pretty strict on it too.

that is not possible, if he transfers out of public as a junior he would have to sit out his senior year. Catholic about the only school in NCHSAA with that restriction. If you transfer in to Catholic from a public school you have to sit out a year before you can play in NCHSAA. So NO reason for any kid to do that, and it is just not happening, the kids you see on the field are 95-100% the same kids you saw in the middle and elementary school. I don't know where this idea that Catholic has some sort of athlete cattle call "open Enrollment" comes from but it just isn't true.

It’s the same thing every year ..... Catholic wins a title and here comes a few people trying to say they have a “unfair advantage “ or they are a private school that playing with public schools. Get over it !!! They have a outstanding system and I think even better coaches that take non D-1 kids and get the absolute most out of them.

To get back to the game, what a game. Much respect for Havelock and their program. They brought it and I’m sure they’ll be back. I know Coach Oddo is smiling down right now. What a feeling!

Reactions: ItsJustWords252
You want to see an advantage? Just look at Mater Dei and St. John Bosco in California. They openly recruit far and wide. Catholic doesn’t.
I love how Bosco has Latin quotes running down their game pants.
"Da Mihi Anima" - Give Me Souls

Last edited:
Reactions: MagisterO

Change your diaper.

crier_zpsfef4d31c.jpg

Reactions: jojr01
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT