ADVERTISEMENT

Football 2022 Catawba valley 2A conference

burkecountyman

Dec 12, 2019
Any thoughts on the upcoming football season in conference. I know Maiden will be strong again any thoughts on the rest of the teams!! I feel good about the future of East Burke football. As of now they have the most ever planning on coming out for football Jv's look good last year when Covid did not take away players from Maiden Bandy and Newton Conover key players had to miss those games.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Last year the conference finished as such:

Maiden
BH
WL
Lincolnton
NC
EB
Bandys
WC

After some thought I believe this upcoming year will look like this:

Maiden
Lincolnton
WL
BH
EB
Bandys
NC
WC

-Maiden will be a better team than last year. Until they can be knocked down, they're on top.
-Lincolnton was one of the most physical teams I watched last year, their youth will mature and they'll be a force to be reckoned with, they jump up from 4th to 2nd
-The Rebels are going to be the Rebels, tough and gritty. They'll be consistently good for a while...but Lincolnton just improved enough to jump them. WL remains a 3rd place finisher
-I hate to knock the Bears back...but like I said, I believe Lincolnton makes the big jump. Bunker Hill won't escape WL this year. Bears go from 2nd to 4th
-East Burke improves and picks up an extra win this year...but I still believe they are a year out from making a top 4 splash. They'll go from 6th to 5th and barely barely miss the playoffs
-Bandys, NC, WC will be the bottom three...really in any order but most likely as I listed above...these teams have the athletes...but I believe they suffer from culture. If there was any school that could surprise me it would be Bandys. They dealt with a lot of injuries last year...and after the Lincolnton game I don't think I've seen a more demoralized team than them. Even my nephew spoke on how bad practices and the locker room were after that week...hopefully they get things turned around and the Coach can regain some love lost by more than a few disgruntled players.

GrizzlyDevil, thanks for the encouraging comments. Sure hope we can live up to it. We haven't beaten a Lincoln County team in four seasons, maybe this is the year.

Last year, we gave all of them a pretty hard time. West was behind with just a couple of minutes left but to their credit they came down the field and scored. Tip of the hat to their running back M. Avery and their offensive line for pulling out the win. Further credit to them for pulling out other games that were close.

Some years ago we were in this same situation (losing a lot of games), and worked our way out of it. I feel like we can do it again.

Maiden
BH
WL
Lincolnton
NC
EB
Bandys
WC

Maiden
Lincolnton
WL
BH
EB
Bandys
NC
WC

-Maiden will be a better team than last year. Until they can be knocked down, they're on top.
-Lincolnton was one of the most physical teams I watched last year, their youth will mature and they'll be a force to be reckoned with, they jump up from 4th to 2nd
-The Rebels are going to be the Rebels, tough and gritty. They'll be consistently good for a while...but Lincolnton just improved enough to jump them. WL remains a 3rd place finisher
-I hate to knock the Bears back...but like I said, I believe Lincolnton makes the big jump. Bunker Hill won't escape WL this year. Bears go from 2nd to 4th
-East Burke improves and picks up an extra win this year...but I still believe they are a year out from making a top 4 splash. They'll go from 6th to 5th and barely barely miss the playoffs
-Bandys, NC, WC will be the bottom three...really in any order but most likely as I listed above...these teams have the athletes...but I believe they suffer from culture. If there was any school that could surprise me it would be Bandys. They dealt with a lot of injuries last year...and after the Lincolnton game I don't think I've seen a more demoralized team than them. Even my nephew spoke on how bad practices and the locker room were after that week...hopefully they get things turned around and the Coach can regain some love lost by more than a few disgruntled players.
What was strange from last year's EB was a lost to Freedom on a last play missed a short game wining FG to lose to West Lincoln and lost on a Hail mary pass to lose the game against Newton Conover hard to believe that team could have had a six win season in a tough conference!!

What was strange from last year's EB was a lost to Freedom on a last play missed a short game wining FG to lose to West Lincoln and lost on a Hail mary pass to lose the game against Newton Conover hard to believe that team could have had a six win season in a tough conference!!
I’d pay good money to see East Burke - Draughn… this fall. 😉 it’s gonna be a classic! Let’s go! Cavaliers!

Y’all lost some heart breakers!…for sure.

Hoping y’all WIN some heart breakers next time around, but, we ain’t giving it to you.😜😂😂

I’m pulling for East Burke ….you can bank on that.

Maiden
BH
WL
Lincolnton
NC
EB
Bandys
WC

Maiden
Lincolnton
WL
BH
EB
Bandys
NC
WC

Lincolnton?…2nd?…that big fullback(Wingate) graduated. He made a ton of tackles….2 tons. Betting they got somebody to fill that hole though!

Lincolnton was young…didn’t lose much…you might be on to sump’em! Grizz.

Let’s talk about defense. I think we all agree…it’s a strong point with this conference. There’s quite a few that lost a lot. Leading tacklers and such. I won’t mention any names. 😂

Bandys, Bunker Hill, East Burke, West Caldwell…can’t wait to see what y’all do!

Newton Conover didn’t lose anything defensively…ok…Zay… but that’s it. I cant see how they finish bottom 3….just saying.

West Lincoln still got Avery…and the Qb… their offense is their defense! They ain’t going nowhere!

CVAC !

I got a dollar says…West Caldwell doesn’t go winless….That’s 10-1 odds for Ole Creek…any takers?😂… who has the guts?😂

• Haha
Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
My best guess at how this thing plays out:

Maiden- Best team overall but will have a new signal caller. I believe they win the conference but would not surprise me for them to do so with one conference loss.
WL- Mason Avery is a workhorse and they are very well coached
Lincolnton- Losing our two best athletes in Wingate and Smith but the young guys should be able to step up. Only question I have is what their identity will be on offense, felt the uncertainty cost us a game or two last season. On offense I expect the QB to be a game changer along with Andrew Phelps and Khamoni Heath to be the primary weapons. Easton Dellinger will be a force in the middle for the defense. Hopefully the playoff experience last season motivates the young guys to want more.
BH- Not sure what all they have coming back but will be well coached.
EB- Minor is changing the culture over there.
Bandys- Never count them out though. Tough bunch who could easily steal a game or two.
NC- Not sure what the problem is over there, but they are a touchdown or two better than WC
WC- Would love to see them competitive again.

EB has to be the sleeper in this conference. I think 5th spot is reasonable but I love the culture and the #s are up and they have some solid kids still there. If they can keep building , they could get into top 4 maybe 3rd.

This is a tough conference overall but Its competitive and its anyone game

Big shout out for Lenior Rhyne…how about that!….another player selected in the draft.

Dareke Young WR…he played high school ball for Middle Creek in Raleigh.

Congratulations to him and his loved ones! Best of luck with those Seahawks.

Way to go LR Bears!

EB has to be the sleeper in this conference. I think 5th spot is reasonable but I love the culture and the #s are up and they have some solid kids still there. If they can keep building , they could get into top 4 maybe 3rd.

This is a tough conference overall but Its competitive and its anyone game
Thanks Blue Devil for your support. Coach Minor has got the program heading in the right direction for sure.!! Should be a interesting year in a tough conference!

Maiden should be huge favorites. West Lincoln should be a solid second bunch of talent back but they won the jv conference title. Lincolnton has alot back was very young last season I'll put them at 3rd right now. Bunker Hill lost alot last season but Coach Reid is one heck of a coach them and East Burke will be around the middle. Bandys good baseball team. Newton Conover love their popcorn and great stadium for a game. West Caldwell good basketball program. These 3 finish at the bottom.

Maiden should be huge favorites. West Lincoln should be a solid second bunch of talent back but they won the jv conference title. Lincolnton has alot back was very young last season I'll put them at 3rd right now. Bunker Hill lost alot last season but Coach Reid is one heck of a coach them and East Burke will be around the middle. Bandys good baseball team. Newton Conover love their popcorn and great stadium for a game. West Caldwell good basketball program. These 3 finish at the bottom.
Its good to see WL be successful. I seen WL vs MP a year or 2 back but they were a QB away from doing a deep run that year. I like WL , I got to do a Basketball games there 1 time (not the best team) but the hospitality and all was top notch

• Love
I would say Maiden will be the team beat. The rest I’m not sure about the order they finish. I feel like Maiden will be fun team to watch. I will be making my presence on some of these games. Especially the playoffs.

• Love
Big shout out for Lenior Rhyne…how about that!….another player selected in the draft.

Dareke Young WR…he played high school ball for Middle Creek in Raleigh.

Congratulations to him and his loved ones! Best of luck with those Seahawks.

Way to go LR Bears!
Saw him at a youth camp at LR. Really nice dude, he was very good to the kids.

• Love
Seen where East Burke Finish second in the Conf track meet a lot of football guy on the track team. The 4x4 100 meter relay hard to believe that group of 3 soph and 1 Sr out ran that group of talented Maiden guys.

Seen where East Burke Finish second in the Conf track meet a lot of football guy on the track team. The 4x4 100 meter relay hard to believe that group of 3 soph and 1 Sr out ran that group of talented Maiden guys.
Who in the heck won?

Last edited:
I don't think Daughn lost any starter EB lost a few QB and top RB so don't know yet how they will be!! They have hit the weight room big time we will see.
I don't see how Draughn is going to be good enough to beat many people. I went and saw them play Mount airy on a Saturday. After we couldn't play them. Mount airy was good but nobody that has half a shot should get dominated like that. The QB and running back that you keep dropping up we're supposed to be the best in their class last year. They were both on the sideline in that game. Great kids I'm sure. And maybe good for that area but I feel like I remember that area having some great teams. Freedom used to be nothing to sneeze at when it was 4A. I'd pump the brakes on them a little bit I can't see them being that much better.

Good for EB to finish that high in conf track but don't put too much faith in how that correlates to football. Track programs win with numbers and relays in particular are often won with clean exchanges.

No doubt the Cavs are improving but ain't nobody getting hit in the mouth on the track.

EB has lacked the weight room in the last few years but that has been fixed now! speed has been a big issue but good to see some more speed than in the past!!just something good to report on!!

I don't see how Draughn is going to be good enough to beat many people. I went and saw them play Mount airy on a Saturday. After we couldn't play them. Mount airy was good but nobody that has half a shot should get dominated like that. The QB and running back that you keep dropping up we're supposed to be the best in their class last year. They were both on the sideline in that game. Great kids I'm sure. And maybe good for that area but I feel like I remember that area having some great teams. Freedom used to be nothing to sneeze at when it was 4A. I'd pump the brakes on them a little bit I can't see them being that much better.
Other than that Mt Airy game Draughn look pretty good I think they will be good next year!!

I talked with someone who works where I do and his son plays for Maiden. My understanding according to this person Maiden will be having a good QB playing. But I didn’t hear the name of the QB. I’m sure there are those in the know on this.

I was hearing rumbles about some eligibility issues with a player from Maiden, is it this new QB?
I haven't heard anything about that...but I've seen firsthand the care this coaching staff takes in properly handling transfers...I haven't heard/seen anything to indicate there is a problem now unless: 1) a child or their parents have lied, or 2) someone has ill intentions toward the program (we have plenty of enemies). Everything else is hogwash.

I haven't heard anything about that...but I've seen firsthand the care this coaching staff takes in properly handling transfers...I haven't heard/seen anything to indicate there is a problem now unless: 1) a child or their parents have lied, or 2) someone has ill intentions toward the program (we have plenty of enemies). Everything else is hogwash.
What is the Stover kid’s age you have as one of your QB‘s?

We shall see. Usually when there is smoke there is fire......There's a lot of smoke rolling out of Maiden right now......I won't comment further until things are verified, but if the rumors are even partially true then this could have massive repercussions.

Reactions: flyrod5518
Wesley Thompson
Saw him play a few times at Ashe last couple years between JV & Varsity. Solid QB throws well has the tall frame and can see downfield good. If Maiden has the WRs to go get it and a line to hold up in blocking WT will move the ball down field. He did not have very good line play last year nor did he have that solid of a group of WRs so he should have better players around him.

We shall see. Usually when there is smoke there is fire......There's a lot of smoke rolling out of Maiden right now......I won't comment further until things are verified, but if the rumors are even partially true then this could have massive repercussions.
The only thing I've heard, and this is a direct quote from a someone intimate with the program, is "there are a lot of eyes on us right now".

Like I said before, I've seen firsthand how they've been handling kids that transfer (past few years) and everything has been by the books.

This particular transfer has probably hurt a few feelings and now there are rumors and a potential for offseason drama.

Personally:
>If it's by the books, quit harassing us.
>If something wasn't done by the books, it needs to be punished and I fully condemn it.

The only thing I've heard, and this is a direct quote from a someone intimate with the program, is "there are a lot of eyes on us right now".

Like I said before, I've seen firsthand how they've been handling kids that transfer (past few years) and everything has been by the books.

This particular transfer has probably hurt a few feelings and now there are rumors and a potential for offseason drama.

Personally:
>If it's by the books, quit harassing us.
>If something wasn't done by the books, it needs to be punished and I fully condemn it.
Are we talking the Thompson transfer? or another?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT