ADVERTISEMENT

Dutch Fork vs Gaffney 5A State Championship game

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Big showdown in S.C. As 12-0 Dutch Fork will take on 14-0 Gaffney at Benedict College Saturday 4 at 5 pm.
Dutch Fork is looking to win 6 in a row as Tom Knotts has his team rolling. They did pull out a close one to Fort Dorchester 21-14. Gaffney with a big win over Spartanburg 56-31. Gaffney has good tradition. Can they spoil Dutch Fork from getting 6 in a row with a win. Should be a good one.

Tom knotts has won like what? 15 state championships at multiple schools? I have to imagine he has been offered numerous head college coaching jobs over the years. What is keeping him in Irmo South Carolina I wonder?

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Tom knotts has won like what? 15 state championships at multiple schools? I have to imagine he has been offered numerous head college coaching jobs over the years. What is keeping him in Irmo South Carolina I wonder?
Probably pay and a great situation.

Probably pay and a great situation.
I would say that's exactly right.

He actually left Independence in 2004 to be quarterbacks coach at his alma mater, Duke, for one year. Coincidentally 2004 was the best team ever at Independence, and probably the best ever in NC. You can view videos of the 2004 Richmond County (semi final) and Southview (championship) games on Your Tube. The picture quality is not up to today's standards, but you can easily tell what's going on.

After 2004, he left Duke and returned to Independence for 2 or 3 more seasons. I don't know, but my guess is he left Duke because he liked being in charge, rather than being supervised.

After that he was ready to get out of CMS and North Carolina, so he took NC retirement and an offer he couldn't refuse from Dutch Fork, which was probably the best money Dutch Fork ever spent.

He worked 30 very successful years in the CMS/NC school system for peanuts. I'm glad he and his wife and young son got the chance to do some financial catching up in the last 10 years, or so.

I understand that explanation, but surely making more money and living in a more desirable location than irmo South Carolina must be tempting….. he’s obviously incredible at what he does. Probably the best ever in nc

He actually left Independence in 2004 to be quarterbacks coach at his alma mater, Duke, for one year. Coincidentally 2004 was the best team ever at Independence, and probably the best ever in NC. You can view videos of the 2004 Richmond County (semi final) and Southview (championship) games on Your Tube. The picture quality is not up to today's standards, but you can easily tell what's going on.

After 2004, he left Duke and returned to Independence for 2 or 3 more seasons. I don't know, but my guess is he left Duke because he liked being in charge, rather than being supervised.

After that he was ready to get out of CMS and North Carolina, so he took NC retirement and an offer he couldn't refuse from Dutch Fork, which was probably the best money Dutch Fork ever spent.

He worked 30 very successful years in the CMS/NC school system for peanuts. I'm glad he and his wife and young son got the chance to do some financial catching up in the last 10 years, or so.

He is ultra-competitive and has said on many occasions that he likes to call the shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeBoer31
I understand that explanation, but surely making more money and living in a more desirable location than irmo South Carolina must be tempting….. he’s obviously incredible at what he does. Probably the best ever in nc

You're away from your family a lot more, not as much job security - there are definitely some tradeoffs that someone in his position might not be willing to accept. He pretty much has it made at DF.

You're away from your family a lot more, not as much job security - there are definitely some tradeoffs that someone in his position might not be willing to accept. He pretty much has it made at DF.
I guess it depends on what "more desirable" means, but from what I have seen of Irmo, it looks like a great place to live. Different stokes for different folks.

Coach Knotts left Duke because he is an intense MFer and Duke was satisfied with winning 1 or 2 games a year at the time. It was the worst power 5 program in college football. Knotts is a Duke grad and wanted them to be respectable. The other coaches and players couldn't match his intensity so he went back to Indy.

Or so I have been told... Personally I would rather him have been given a shot as head coach rather than Roof just to see if he could do it in college. But Ted Roof was the guy who hired him as quarterbacks coach so at least he got the opportunity.

The transition to the next level is not always a good one. We have seen some of the best HS and college coaches move to a higher level without the same success they enjoyed previously. It doesnt mean they forgot how to coach, its just a different game. Maybe TK coaches college FB and does great, maybe he’s average. The bigger the job the more help you need. The better help you have the better the program but those great coaches move on as well. Also, many coaches need the time off or they will burn out. College offseason is much different than HS offseason. TK has built a program that recruits itself. He has built programs at the 9th and 10th grade level that are feeding the varsity with great players that understand the system and they expect to win. I would say he has a pretty good gig right where he is.

TK went to a program that was losing but one that he wanted to go to (alma mater, former starting DB). He had told me previously that the right person at Duke would win. Cutcliffe was the right guy for a time. Spurrier was the right guy but like any young coach they are not staying there long. TK was qb coach. Many expected him to be the next OC but the OC (Marty Galbraith) and HC (Ted Roof) did not listen to him although that may have been his fault as I doubt he spoke up much as that has been his setup.

TK decided when the season was over that was he heading back to high school football and wanted to get his last five years in the NC system. Duke treated him well on the way out and gave him the opportunity.

Roof brought in Bill O'Brien as the OC/QB coach. He talked big and they were worse. The Franks and Roof eras were terrible. Neither grasped the head coach position well and expected Franks to "understand" Duke after playing there and being on Spurrier's staffs.

I believe he stated he might consider coming to Mecklenburg County for the right sitation at a private school.

1. 151, De La Salle (Concord, Calif.), 1992-2003
2. 109, Independence (Charlotte, N.C.), 2000-07
3. 96, Sims (Union, S.C.), 1945-54 (92-0-4)
4. 89, South Panola (Batesville, Miss.), 2003-08
5. 82, Bedford County Training School (Shelbyville, Tenn.), 1943-50 (78-0-4)
6. 79, Smith Center (Kan.), 2004-09
7. 74, Maryville (Tenn.), 2004-08
8. 72, Hudson (Mich.), 1968-1975
9. 71, Jefferson City (Mo.), 1958-1966
9. 71, Edgewood Academy (Elmore, Ala.), 2010-15

11. 70, Kimberly (Wis.), 2013-17
12. 69, Animas (N.M.), 1984-90
12. 69, Ithaca (Mich.), 2010-2014
14. 68, Celina (Texas), 1998-2002
15. 67, Caledonia (Minn.), 2015-current
16. 66, St. Mary's-Colgan (Pittsburg, Kan.), 1999-2004
16. 66, Clairton (Pa.), 2009-13
18. 64, Pittsfield (Ill.), 1966-73
19. 63, Barton (Lexa, Ark.), 1985-90
19. 63, Paulsboro (N.J.), 1992-97

19. 63, Blue Ridge (Lakeside, Ariz.), 1994-98
22. 62, Conway Springs (Kan.), 2001-05
22. 62, Maine-Endwell (Endwell, N.Y.), 2011-15
24. 61, Central Catholic (Modesto, Calif.), 2001-05
25. 60, Bloomington South (Bloomington, Ind.), 1967-73

You'll have to pardon me. Please accept my sincere apologies for not being more clear. Any NC program without Tommy Knott's assistance, is what I intended to add. There's not one.
Outside of California’s (De La Salle) 151. I don’t know if they had the same coach throughout their streak? No Coach from any State has accomplished what Tommy Knotts has done. Not just NC coaches. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
Albemarle had a 50 game winning streak... Tom Knotts alma mater. Which to me is superior to a 60 game unbeaten streak, aka a tie is in there...

Love Coach Knotts. A true inspiration and best Carolina Coach ever without debate. Except perhaps the guy at Summerville...

Bob Ladoucer had a 151 game winning streak including beating Mater Dei four times, Long Beach Poly twice and Evangel Christian among others... De La Salle was a losing school before he got there. They went 8-3 his first year and went from there. 399-25-3 before retirement. Won 20-30 North Coast Section titles. Won state titles once California finally did them.

Celina in Texas 3A had a 68 game winning streak before moving up classification. GA Moore and his 10-1 defense are quite remarkable if you wanna check em out...

Check out Bob Shannon from East St Louis... He was a legend in the 80s and early 90s. Won a few national titles at a poverty stricken school before a disagreement with politicians lol.

Last edited:
Back in the day of West Rowan when they had Kevin Parks 08-09, they made a good run. They kept the winning streak going after he graduated. West Rowan won 46 games straight before the streak was broken by Mooresville in 2011.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
It is also worth mentioning that De La Salle is a private school. Private schools in the 90s were not as popular as they are today. Many of the best talent was definitely in public schools. It may be different today in many states but not so much in NC and SC. There is great talent in private schools but the majority of talent is in public schools. I feel 109 wins in public school leagues with state regulations is more impressive than 151 wins with a private school with much looser regulations.

It is also worth mentioning that De La Salle is a private school. Private schools in the 90s were not as popular as they are today. Many of the best talent was definitely in public schools. It may be different today in many states but not so much in NC and SC. There is great talent in private schools but the majority of talent is in public schools. I feel 109 wins in public school leagues with state regulations is more impressive than 151 wins with a private school with much looser regulations.

I agree that it is more impressive to have a 100 plus winning streak as a public than private. The ebs and flows of talent in public make it less sustainable.

That said, Independence had no shortage of talent at the time. De La Salle has refused highly rated prospects because of academics and some have been ruled ineligible when they tried to transfer there. The DT rated a spot higher than Shy Tuttle comes to mind.

But I do think NC football is better than Northern Cal football. Southern Cal not so much.

Reactions: portcity FB
Yeah I said before on here that if they somehow kept combined detail stats on coaches Knotts would most assuredly lead the country in the following statistics and second place Knotts would probably double the second place numbers:

1. Total passing yards
2. Total passing touchdowns
3. Total passing completions

He has to own all of these passing records and by a hefty, never to be eclipsed, insurmountable number.

Reactions: portcity FB
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT