ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville Attempts Their First Unified State Championship

2nd To None

Nov 23, 2021
Reidsville High School goes for its first ever unified state title next Saturday. Despite their naming of themselves as the “Capitol (sic)” of North Carolina high school football, Reidsville has never won a Championship title where they participated in a playoff that included ALL similar size (classification) NC public high school programs. All their Championships came during the period of the rival WNCHSAA existence (1929-1976) or during the subdivision of classes (2002-2020). Reidsville did not appear in a Championship game from 1971 through 2001, 31 consecutive years.
In the period of one winner per classification and after the 1977 merger of the NCHSAA with the WNCHSAA, Robbinsville led the state with 7 Championship titles and Richmond Senior won 6.

The overall leader in NC Championship Titles since the merger in 1977 is Shelby with 12.

The purpose of this thread, despite comments that will follow, is not to diminish the accomplishments of the Reidsville program and its 22 recognized titles. They won all they could win. It is to clarify that the entirety of those championship runs included the avoidance of up to 42 of some of the top programs smack in the middle of the state. Or by avoiding 50% of the other similar class programs during subdivided playoffs.

Reidsville finally has an opportunity to win a unified Championship Title, and it will be their first attempt.

Reidsville High School goes for its first ever unified state title next Saturday. Despite their naming of themselves as the “Capitol (sic)” of North Carolina high school football, Reidsville has never won a Championship title where they participated in a playoff that included ALL similar size (classification) NC public high school programs. All their Championships came during the period of the rival WNCHSAA existence (1929-1976) or during the subdivision of classes (2002-2020). Reidsville did not appear in a Championship game from 1971 through 2001, 31 consecutive years.
In the period of one winner per classification and after the 1977 merger of the NCHSAA with the WNCHSAA, Robbinsville led the state with 7 Championship titles and Richmond Senior won 6.

The overall leader in NC Championship Titles since the merger in 1977 is Shelby with 12.

The purpose of this thread, despite comments that will follow, is not to diminish the accomplishments of the Reidsville program and its 22 recognized titles. They won all they could win. It is to clarify that the entirety of those championship runs included the avoidance of up to 42 of some of the top programs smack in the middle of the state. Or by avoiding 50% of the other similar class programs during subdivided playoffs.

Reidsville finally has an opportunity to win a unified Championship Title, and it will be their first attempt.
Anyone who responds to this is dead to me

Oh Boy High Quality GIF

Beat Cummings who won states as well. How more convincing is that

Weak and does not apply here.

But since you brought that up…

Belmont South Point won the 2016 3A State Championship.
Shelby on its way to the 2016 2AA State Championship defeated Belmont South Point 24-0.
With your “convincing “ logic, Shelby can claim the 2016 3A Championship Title, also.
Has Reidsville ever accomplished that?

2016 also serves as an example of the topic of this thread as Reidsville won the 2A title that year in the subdivided 2A classification.
Shelby never trailed in 16 games that year, yet Reidsville was never required to play them to gain another title, even though both were 2A programs.

You play the team scheduled. You win the last game you're the champion. Period. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas! Purely sour grapes from fans who have nothing better to do than speculate on why their team has fe=wer championships after their team was eliminated early.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwguilford007
Weak and does not apply here.

But since you brought that up…

Belmont South Point won the 2016 3A State Championship.
Shelby on its way to the 2016 2AA State Championship defeated Belmont South Point 24-0.
With your “convincing “ logic, Shelby can claim the 2016 3A Championship Title, also.
Has Reidsville ever accomplished that?

2016 also serves as an example of the topic of this thread as Reidsville won the 2A title that year in the subdivided 2A classification.
Shelby never trailed in 16 games that year, yet Reidsville was never required to play them to gain another title, even though both were 2A programs.

Reidsville and Shelby would have been a monster in 2016. You could send whoever you wanted in 2002 it wouldn’t have mattered

Once again Living Rent Free.... One day you'll realize how much time you're petty obsession has cost you. Truly sad. I hear counseling could help you a lot.

You play the team scheduled. You win the last game you're the champion. Period.
Agreed.
Not the point of this thread.
The fact remains that had Reidsville been forced to play in a playoff that included all NC public high schools in their similar size classification since 1920, they may not own a single Championship.

Agreed.
The fact remains that had Reidsville been forced to play in a playoff that included all NC public high schools in their similar size classification since 1920, they may not own a single Championship.
Also if Shelby hadn’t lost in 2nd round 2 of past 3 years while In Reidsville bracket they may could go for another 3 peat. But they won 1 of 3. So that’s the best you could have asked for going against the football capitol in the big bad west

Also they could have caught us in titles but same result. Didn’t happen

There are no unified state titles unless champ of one class plays champ of another class, for example, Reidsville-East Duplin winner vs Grimsley-New Bern winner.
But it's always been divided one way or another so this whole subject is a boatload of stinky BS.

Back in the day, there were unified state titles in wrestling, golf and some other sports because all the schools were in the same tournament. Reidsville won unified state golf championships in 1966 and 1980. NCHSAA went to classifications for golf in 1986.

Last edited:
There are no unified state titles unless champ of one class plays champ of another class, for example, Reidsville-East Duplin winner vs Grimsley-New Bern winner.
But it's always been divided one way or another so this whole subject is a boatload of stinky BS.

Back in the day, there were unified state titles in wrestling, golf and some other sports because all the schools were in the same tournament. Reidsville won unified state golf championships in 1966 and 1980. NCHSAA went to classifications for golf in 1986.
Ridiculous to propose a school with 300 students would have to play a school with 3000.
Classifications exist for a reason.
We are discussing reasonable unified classifications that have existed since 1929.
Not surprised you would go there to confuse the issue.

But since you brought that up….

During the first decade of the original NCHSAA, there were no classes and the playoffs were “all in” for all NC high schools.
After 5 playoff wins, including some over much larger schools, Shelby qualified for the 1924 Championship Title Game.
The Golden Lions lost in a close game, 7-0, to Rockingham of Richmond County.
Reidsville never appeared in a Championship Title Game during that brief period either.

You play the team scheduled. You win the last game you're the champion. Period. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas! Purely sour grapes from fans who have nothing better to do than speculate on why their team has fe=wer championships after their team was eliminated early.
I agree with your logic. Which is why Thomasville will forever count the 1964 WNCHSAA title as one of our eight state championships, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Ridiculous to propose a school with 300 students would have to play a school with 3000.
We are discussing reasonable unified classifications that have existed since 1929.

During the first decade of the original NCHSAA, there were no classes and the playoffs were “all in” for all NC high schools.
After 5 playoff wins, including some over much larger schools, Shelby qualified for the 1924 Championship Title Game.
Reidsville never appeared in a Championship Title Game during that brief period either.
Congrats on the loss

I agree with your logic. Which is why Thomasville will forever count the 1964 WNCHSAA title as one of our eight state championships, regardless of what anyone else thinks.
You absolutely should count 1964 as one of your State Championships.

But since you brought that up…..

In 1963, Thomasville defeated Reidsville during a regular season match up.
Later that season, Thomasville failed to qualify for one of the four playoff spots in the 1963 WNCHSAA playoffs.
Asheboro went on to defeat Shelby that year in the Championship Title Game on the day President Kennedy was assassinated.
Meanwhile, Reidsville did make the 1963 NCHSAA playoffs and won a title they consider one of their 22 total.
So one of the 22 came in a season where Reidsville lost to a team that did not even make the rival association’s playoffs.

capitol (sic) of what ?

We don’t make this stuff up.

You absolutely should count 1964 as one of your State Championships.

But since you brought that up…..

In 1963, Thomasville defeated Reidsville during a regular season match up.
Later that season, Thomasville failed to qualify for one of the four playoff spots in the 1963 WNCHSAA playoffs.
Asheboro went on to defeat Shelby that year in the Championship Title Game on the day President Kennedy was assassinated.
Meanwhile, Reidsville did make the 1963 NCHSAA playoffs and won a title they consider one of their 22 total.
So one of the 22 came in a season where Reidsville lost to a team that did not even make the rival association’s playoffs.

capitol (sic) of what ?

We don’t make this stuff up.
You going to feel real dumb when Reidsville wins yet another one next weekend and pushes you further away from ever reaching Reidsville.

And Shelby will be playing basketball or wrestling or recruiting or deer hunting. Whatever they are doing it is not playing Championship football. You know what, I am not going to get in stupid play of words (that is all it is) with a very insecure person. Lion Attack wrote what I thought was not only well written but also a quite descriptive piece about what it is like emotionally to see the King of the Jungle dethroned. 2nd to None has got it bad.

Dude you lost. You will play again, you will win again. Let it go. I could write more but Chop said keep it short.

And Shelby will be playing basketball or wrestling or recruiting or deer hunting. Whatever they are doing it is not playing Championship football. You know what, I am not going to get in stupid play of words (that is all it is) with a very insecure person. Lion Attack wrote what I thought was not only well written but also a quite descriptive piece about what it is like emotionally to see the King of the Jungle dethroned. 2nd to None has got it bad.

Dude you lost. You will play again, you will win again. Let it go. I could write more but Chop said keep it short.
This dude…. Man, that’s hilarious.

You going to feel real dumb when Reidsville wins yet another one next weekend and pushes you further away from ever reaching Reidsville.
Dumb people don't know they are dumb. I will help this person. He can't back up what he writes. He don't know what he is talking about. He can't explain what he is saying. I wish he would. He won't answer questions. You won't see him on here anymore because he is afraid of being proven wrong. He is a CHICKEN.

Reactions: FACT24
Dumb people don't know they are dumb. I will help this person. He can't back up what he writes. He don't know what he is talking about. He can't explain what he is saying. I wish he would. He won't answer questions. You won't see him on here anymore because he is afraid of being proven wrong. He is a CHICKEN.
I like Shelby Lion and LA because they trash talk in a weird but somehow backward respectfulness kind of way. They may hate our guts but they respect the program and understand it. But some of these cats are just ignorant. I tend to root for Shelby so we can hopefully meet when both teams are at their best. Just hasn’t been happening unfortunately

I don't mean to get off the subject. But I have a question. Since you are quite knowledgeable about Shelby Football could you look back at your records. On November 10 when Shelby played Burns and got blanked. Is this the first time that a team beat Shelby in the early rounds of the playoffs that went on to lose by more than the projected margin by Massey or Simmons. Also on the same subject is this the first time that Shelby had both a 7-5 record and also a top ten ranking by Maxpreps (pretty impressive). Thank you.

I like Shelby Lion and LA because they trash talk in a weird but somehow backward respectfulness kind of way. They may hate our guts but they respect the program and understand it. But some of these cats are just ignorant. I tend to root for Shelby so we can hopefully meet when both teams are at their best. Just hasn’t been happening unfortunately
Not a chance I hate yalls guts... I just want to have a good time at the end of the day.. Ive always respected the Rams and what theyve done... Do I want Shelby to beat em by 100 of course, but yall want the same thing for the Rams...Ive sat with rams fans several times at games and enjoyed their company... me and you talked junk in 19 for hours... Youre a good dude, crazy as a crap house rat, but thats why i think highly of ya ha ha ha ha

I got several dudes down yalls way I think highly of, You, Lumbee, his son (forgot his user) Mule, Rambbq, Dhag, even Frank even though he cussed me recently on Facebook.. ha ha ha....

All jokes aside best of luck to the Rams Saturday.....

Agreed.
Explain the fact please. I am going to get serious with you. Why do you think that. Tell me please. Do you not see the weakness and illogical argument that statement supports. I don't see how you possibly come to that conclusion. I know you will not answer.

Not a chance I hate yalls guts... I just want to have a good time at the end of the day.. Ive always respected the Rams and what theyve done... Do I want Shelby to beat em by 100 of course, but yall want the same thing for the Rams...Ive sat with rams fans several times at games and enjoyed their company... me and you talked junk in 19 for hours... Youre a good dude, crazy as a crap house rat, but thats why i think highly of ya ha ha ha ha

I got several dudes down yalls way I think highly of, You, Lumbee, his son (forgot his user) Mule, Rambbq, Dhag, even Frank even though he cussed me recently on Facebook.. ha ha ha....

I would settle with winning by one everytime. That would improve our record.

Reactions: Shelby Lion

Reidsville won a State Wrestling Title in 1969. 1a-4a. I think there may have been Western association also. Not sure.

Thanks , I know you don’t hate us. Just a figure of speech. What’s chance you come to chapel hill? That’s probably a good drive

Reactions: Rammer16
A couple of decades back Kernersville Little Leaguers won the World Series for their age group. They had the kids on Winston-Salem TV. They ask one kid how it felt to win it. He said "I've waited all my life for this" He was about 12 years old. I thought, he don't know. 12 is not much to relate an experience to "all my life". If you have ever competed in a sport, then became a fan, I think emotionally you are more involved. While you don't have skin in the game you know what it is to have done so, and to make that sacrifice. I think you would run full on into a brick wall for the team. I think we let this mentality get the better of us even as grown men. Forgive me if I act like a teenager over a game.

Reidsville finally has an opportunity to win a unified Championship Title, and

You have been weighed... You have been measured... And you have been found wanting.

You have been weighed... You have been measured... And you have been found wanting.
I'm just waiting for the DVD of the documentary Big Shelby filmed this year ! I guarantee it's a doozy ! 2nd to nothing must make Shelby folks really proud by starting this thread ! I'm sure people just love him.. Can't you tell ? He gets my sportsmanship award vote . If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a noise ? If Shelby gets a running clock out on them in the 2nd to none round, does it make a noise ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I don't think that turpentine will ever wear off this guys azz🔥🔥 class act for sure ! Actually feel kinda sorry for him

I'm just waiting for the DVD of the documentary Big Shelby filmed this year ! I guarantee it's a doozy ! 2nd to nothing must make Shelby folks really proud by starting this thread ! I'm sure people just love him.. Can't you tell ? He gets my sportsmanship award vote . If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a noise ? If Shelby gets a running clock out on them in the 2nd to none round, does it make a noise ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I don't think that turpentine will ever wear off this guys azz🔥🔥 class act for sure ! Actually feel kinda sorry for him
If there is a DVD I hope they title it "What not to do ever, because #1 its ridiculous, #2 distracting and #3 catches to many embarassing moments" Not sure all that will fit on the DVD insert though..

Oooh here it is

"We come in here like we want that smoke"

that's it... Right there....

You are a walking history book. Problem is you like to take the parts of history that you like and omit the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT