ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville Attempts Their First Unified State Championship

Tville and Lexington were the big schools in the 60s and 70s. Lexington was even 4A with RJ Reynolds at one point. They won the WNCHSAA the year after dropping down. Then the 80s came and the county schools became bigger than the city schools for some reason... hint hint nudge nudge wink wink...
Thomasville was 3A in 1983. kidd remembers, I’m sure.

@HoeyMan76 your attention was so much on Shelby throughout the week, you didn’t give East Duplin any respect whatsoever, and they kicked your asses, despite trying their best to give you guys the game.
Chill man, we got beat ya'll got beat. You just more used to it, it's been longer for ya'll . We will all settle down and the Lion and the Ram will chill out together. Boy that hurt. I do have another life it, ain't all about football. It was good right up to the bitter end. I am going to watch Basketball Friday night. I hear we got kid named Harrison and one named Neal. They are both freshmen. They play for Chris Paul in the summer leagues. I will let you know how they look. Those names sound familiar?

Here you some excuses just a few lines up.
From 2nd to the Most Arrogant:
A healthy (flu) and full strength (2 impact players kicked off) SPIRITED Shelby team probably does not lose twice in the same season to Burns, or anyone else. Never happened before in recent memory. ( Looks like and excuse or two to me.)

You ain't heard me make and excuse for any loss, mine or anyone else's. WE GOT BEAT. Big deal life goes on.
Was that quote from 2nd an excuse yes no? Probably don't mean squat it is an, out, in the event of unlikely outcome. Answer the question, yes or no, and I will sleep better tonight knowing about Mr. Lion Attack. That quote is on this page. I didn't make up, it was his words. I will wait for your reply
Hey Lion Attack you never answered me about whether 2ndtonone was offering up excuses for your loses to Burns. Waiting to hear from you.

Albemarle and Thomasville was not 1a then . They was double the enrollment of 1a.

1a was probably around 400 back then.

So. Again zero 1a teams in wnchsaa.
So Robbinsville has 14 out of 15 with all schools playing.

Side note. NCHSAA went back to state titles in 68 or 69 for 1a. The other classifications was in the mid 70s.

All I know for sure is Robbinsville has the most state titles in NCHSAA under one name.

Robbinsville 15
Reidsville Golden Lions ?
Reidsville Rams ?
Shelby NCHSAA?
Shelby WNCHSAA?

In less years also. 😁

Reidsville needs to schedule a ground team from east or west to help tweak things early. North Lincoln/West Lincoln, James Kenan, or even ED. South Point or Catholic would be much better.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Reidsville needs to schedule a ground team from east or west to help tweak things early. North Lincoln/West Lincoln, James Kenan, or even ED. South Point or Catholic would be much better.
I thought Page was successful primarily due to them being 4A. People, and a few Ram posters are guilty of saying this over the years, “it’s 11 on 11, your best against our best. Division doesn’t matter”, I totally disagree with that.

The 2A team, more often than not, will struggle with even an average 4A team due to the size of the players and the depth of the 4A team. It’s nothing to see a 170lbs linebacker in 2A, or a 190 lbs offensive lineman. You’re going against much bigger 4A players. That’s just a fact.

I was seriously surprised to see 2A East Duplin be so dominant in the trenches as they were versus Reidsville. Shelby would struggle playing up, get mocked for it, and I would always tell posters from other schools that those things would disappear vs 2A competition. It appeared to be that way for the Rams till they ran into that well coached, well prepared ED team.

I thought Page was successful primarily due to them being 4A. People, and a few Ram posters are guilty of saying this over the years, “it’s 11 on 11, your best against our best. Division doesn’t matter”, I totally disagree with that.

The 2A team, more often than not, will struggle with even an average 4A team due to the size of the players and the depth of the 4A team. It’s nothing to see a 170lbs linebacker in 2A, or a 190 lbs offensive lineman. You’re going against much bigger 4A players. That’s just a fact.

I was seriously surprised to see 2A East Duplin be so dominant in the trenches as they were versus Reidsville. Shelby would struggle playing up, get mocked for it, and I would always tell posters from other schools that those things would disappear vs 2A competition. It appeared to be that way for the Rams till they ran into that well coached, well prepared ED team.

Page was a good test, but I was mostly focusing on style/formation, and getting used to the technique on how to defend it. Even if the team is horrible, they've memorized the technique to defend it, but playing a team that runs it well is a perfect test for a game like the title game. I knew any wing t running team was going to give them a problem because we saw them struggle with it all year.

Albemarle and Thomasville was not 1a then . They was double the enrollment of 1a.

1a was probably around 400 back then.

So. Again zero 1a teams in wnchsaa.
So Robbinsville has 14 out of 15 with all schools playing.

Side note. NCHSAA went back to state titles in 68 or 69 for 1a. The other classifications was in the mid 70s.

All I know for sure is Robbinsville has the most state titles in NCHSAA under one name.

Robbinsville 15
Reidsville Golden Lions ?
Reidsville Rams ?
Shelby NCHSAA?
Shelby WNCHSAA?

In less years also. 😁
Good post.
We enjoy these debates.
But we must make a few points.

There is no way for you, us, or anyone else to know how the existence of the WNCHSAA affected the placement of all public programs in their respective classifications. There is a very real possibility that the smallest ADM programs in the WNCHSAA would have been placed in the NCHSAA 1A class, especially over the 48 year period it operated. That included the Great Depression, WW II, the baby boom, and integration.
Also, some of the the largest ADMs in 1A, the NCHSAA may have chosen to move to 2A, if no WNCHSAA.
You do understand that the movement of even a single program into 1A or out of 1A changes history.
The period of Robbinsville Titles, 1965-1976, that you are focused on, did include significant influences of the baby boom and integration on ADMs. There is no way to prove Robbinsville’s Titles would not have been affected.
Research also shows that Bessemer City, eventually a member of the WNCHSAA, played in the 1950 and 1952 NCHSAA 1A Title games.

No way to prove, no way to confirm.

We gave Robbinsville credit in the first post opening this thread.
Robbinsville has the most”unified” class Titles with 7.
Your first 6 Titles came during the existence of the WNCHSAA. Your 2014 and 2019 Titles came as a class subdivision.
Y’all have 15 Championship Titles. Congratulations. That’s a bunch.

But we do have a question. And it is similar to the Reidsville unavoidable blemish.
What happened from the 1992 Title all the way until even your next appearance in 2014?
That’s 21 years. Over 2 decades.
And it goes back to 1983 before that.
1984 to 2013 with one lone appearance and Title. 30 years.
That’s approaching Reidsville’s 1971-2001 absence from even a Title appearance.
You have 15 Titles, but the vast majority came over 40 years ago.
Most of Reidsville’s Titles were over 50 years ago.
Any modern current, relative debate about “most Titles, capital of, etc.” must consider consistency at some point.
As we mentioned before, Princeton is recognized as having the most College Football National Titles.

Shelby won 6 Championship Titles in the WNCHSAA with 10 Appearances.
Shelby has won 12 Championship Titles in the NCHSAA with 17 Appearances, including one Appearance in 1924 before the WNCHSAA was formed and in an early version of the NCHSAA that had no classes.
Shelby also won a Championship Title in 1984 in Division II, what the NCHSAA termed “Other Championships”. Shelby also appeared in the 1983 Division II Championship Title Game.
Division II was explained later as a prelude to the Subclassifications playoff format. The Association was not sure if it would create a playoff system for Conference runner ups or subdivide the classes in two, and open for non-conference champs to qualify. They chose subdivisions.
Some question the inclusion of Division II as a true Championship Title. We do, too.
But you, Robbinsville, certainly include your 1965 Title and it was ONE OF FOUR DIVISIONAL TITLES given in 1A that year. Reidsville counts all 3 of their Western Division Titles as well, 1963, 1969, and 1970. And you both should. It was the playoff format set up by the Association governing body and you won every game you could.
We did too in Division II in 1984.
That Shelby team was 12-1 and gave up 6 points a game.
How far would they have gone in the recent subclass set up? Don’t know.

So, Shelby has 19 State Championship Titles in 29 State Championship Title Game Appearances.
Reidsville has the most titles at 22. But not as many appearances.
And a glaring 31 consecutive, recent year hole within the last 50 years.
Shelby has appeared in, at a minimum, back to back Championship Title Games in each of the last SIX DECADES.
Shelby has won at least one State Championship in each of the last SEVEN DECADES. Most have more than one.
Shelby has the most all-time wins in NC and the most playoff wins of any public high school in the COUNTRY.
The most successful, sustained, winningest high school football program in North Carolina.

The True Dynasty

Our website can fill in any other details.

Www.shelbyhighfootball.com

Reactions: SHS LION
There is one constant of a winning program. Coaching. Those fortunate enough to make the right choice after a successful coach retires will continue being successful. I have seen programs fall apart with the wrong choice. Same athletes - different results. All the jimmys and joes don’t make a hill of beans without coaching. I know very little about Shelby and Reidsville coaching history but I would bet the titles came during periods with solid coaching.

Coaching will not guarantee a title but it’s less likely a team will make it through the playoffs without it.

Last edited:
Good post.
We enjoy these debates.
But we must make a few points.

There is no way for you, us, or anyone else to know how the existence of the WNCHSAA affected the placement of all public programs in their respective classifications. There is a very real possibility that the smallest ADM programs in the WNCHSAA would have been placed in the NCHSAA 1A class, especially over the 48 year period it operated. That included the Great Depression, WW II, the baby boom, and integration.
Also, some of the the largest ADMs in 1A, the NCHSAA may have chosen to move to 2A, if no WNCHSAA.
You do understand that the movement of even a single program into 1A or out of 1A changes history.
The period of Robbinsville Titles, 1965-1976, that you are focused on, did include significant influences of the baby boom and integration on ADMs. There is no way to prove Robbinsville’s Titles would not have been affected.
Research also shows that Bessemer City, eventually a member of the WNCHSAA, played in the 1950 and 1952 NCHSAA 1A Title games.

No way to prove, no way to confirm.

We gave Robbinsville credit in the first post opening this thread.
Robbinsville has the most”unified” class Titles with 7.
Your first 6 Titles came during the existence of the WNCHSAA. Your 2014 and 2019 Titles came as a class subdivision.
Y’all have 15 Championship Titles. Congratulations. That’s a bunch.

But we do have a question. And it is similar to the Reidsville unavoidable blemish.
What happened from the 1992 Title all the way until even your next appearance in 2014?
That’s 21 years. Over 2 decades.
And it goes back to 1983 before that.
1984 to 2013 with one lone appearance and Title. 30 years.
That’s approaching Reidsville’s 1971-2001 absence from even a Title appearance.
You have 15 Titles, but the vast majority came over 40 years ago.
Most of Reidsville’s Titles were over 50 years ago.
Any modern current, relative debate about “most Titles, capital of, etc.” must consider consistency at some point.
As we mentioned before, Princeton is recognized as having the most College Football National Titles.

Shelby won 6 Championship Titles in the WNCHSAA with 10 Appearances.
Shelby has won 12 Championship Titles in the NCHSAA with 17 Appearances, including one Appearance in 1924 before the WNCHSAA was formed and in an early version of the NCHSAA that had no classes.
Shelby also won a Championship Title in 1984 in Division II, what the NCHSAA termed “Other Championships”. Shelby also appeared in the 1983 Division II Championship Title Game.
Division II was explained later as a prelude to the Subclassifications playoff format. The Association was not sure if it would create a playoff system for Conference runner ups or subdivide the classes in two, and open for non-conference champs to qualify. They chose subdivisions.
Some question the inclusion of Division II as a true Championship Title. We do, too.
But you, Robbinsville, certainly include your 1965 Title and it was ONE OF FOUR DIVISIONAL TITLES given in 1A that year. Reidsville counts all 3 of their Western Division Titles as well, 1963, 1969, and 1970. And you both should. It was the playoff format set up by the Association governing body and you won every game you could.
We did too in Division II in 1984.
That Shelby team was 12-1 and gave up 6 points a game.
How far would they have gone in the recent subclass set up? Don’t know.

So, Shelby has 19 State Championship Titles in 29 State Championship Title Game Appearances.
Reidsville has the most titles at 22. But not as many appearances.
And a glaring 31 consecutive, recent year hole within the last 50 years.
Shelby has appeared in, at a minimum, back to back Championship Title Games in each of the last SIX DECADES.
Shelby has won at least one State Championship in each of the last SEVEN DECADES. Most have more than one.
Shelby has the most all-time wins in NC and the most playoff wins of any public high school in the COUNTRY.
The most successful, sustained, winningest high school football program in North Carolina.

The True Dynasty

Our website can fill in any other details.

Www.shelbyhighfootball.com
September is coming.

Shelby thinks they are the Beginning and the End. They start this thread knowing they Covet Reidsville’s title. and they end it knowing they Covet Reidsville's Title. Well, they do brag about consistency. They say nothing, not one iota, of anything they haven't said multiple times over multiple years. When this season began Reidsville led 22-19 in State Championships, when the season ended Reidsville led with 22 State Championships and one more West Regional Championship, Shelby ended with 19 State Championships and clock ticking away their season. They said Shelby fans, that night, ran out of the stadium so fast when that running clock started it looked like they thought they would turn into pumpkins when it hit 00:00:00. There are so many strong programs in the state. We are indeed fortunate to have accomplished so much over such a long period of time. We won our first title way back in 1930. With possible changes in classifications, of all schools, we never know what will happen.

Most of what the 56 members strong Cocky Club Cleveland says has, as they put it, "no way to prove, no way to confirm". Strictly ramblings of Mad Men. Ramble on CCC, ramble on.

The 56 may be Unified but there has not been one Unified State Championship in the history of the NCHSAA. Refute that with proof or SHUT UP. Show me one Trophy. Since you have won so many, show a photo. I have never seen a photo of “thin air”, your photo would not be much different, maybe a picture of a shelf.

In September, we shall discuss other truths, and records. Some of you remember the band The Undisputed Truth. They had a song that said "Smiling faces sometimes they don't tell the truth, . . . . Smiling faces tell lies, and I got proof". Good song, listen to it.

Reidsville-TFCONC*

*As Jimmy Durante would say-” I got a million of ‘em.”

Even though we're on here alot, how much time do you "authors" think we have to read these books you are posting. Your novels require a whole afternoon to read thoroughly and process.

I have yet to read either of your many novels. You all need to paste voice notes then.

Even though we're on here alot, how much time do you "authors" think we have to read these books you are posting. Your novels require a whole afternoon to read thoroughly and process.

I have yet to read either of your many novels. You all need to paste voice notes then.
I read one of yours, that you just wrote. I can just here your teacher, "Now Chopper you pay attention".

Can’t correct anybody on 1A threads…
Apparently phonetics is the norm over there..
They get mad…
So I do it anyway 👍
I dont correct 1A and 4A that much rarely. 4A sometimes, and 2A and 3A are good sports. I'd correct 4A before 1A though. 4A take themselves too seriously sometimes but they're not crazy like 1A. Those 1A guys might show up on your front porch under a controlled substance.

Last edited:
I dont correct 1A and 4A that much rarely. 4A sometimes, and 2A and 3A are good sports. I'd correct 4A before 1A though. 4A take themselves too seriously but they're not crazy like 1A. Those 1A guys might show up on your front porch under a controlled substance.
😂 Uh…
Probably not my front porch…
For long anyway….
But I get the sentiment…

There is one constant of a winning program. Coaching. Those fortunate enough to make the right choice after a successful coach retires will continue being successful. I have seen programs fall apart with the wrong choice. Same athletes - different results. All the jimmys and joes don’t make a hill of beans without coaching. I know very little about Shelby and Reidsville coaching history but I would bet the titles came during periods with solid coaching.

Coaching will not guarantee a title but it’s less likely a team will make it through the playoffs without it.
You are absolutely correct.
Coaching is huge.

There have only been six head coaches to lead the Shelby Golden Lions since 1936 ( 85 years ); three of them are alumni.
And each of those coaches served under the previous head coach before taking over.
Each of the 6 have won Championship Titles, also.
That is a legacy of coaching probably unique in the country.
And they were joined by brilliant assistants.

We often note how a singular coach can be the key to a programs success.
The Tommy Knotts disciples follow his success religiously. He is a great coach, no question.
But where was Indy before or since?
Same for his current Dutch Fork.
We ask the question about Reidsville’s Jimmy Teague. He began winning a lot in the last 20 years.
But what happened at Reidsville for 31 consecutive recent years, 1971-2001?
What will happen when Teague retires?

What programs have maintained Championship Title level excellence across multiple coaching changes?
Charlotte Catholic?
Gaffney?
Who, besides Shelby, has even done it for the last 50 years?

You are absolutely correct.
Coaching is huge.

There have only been six head coaches to lead the Shelby Golden Lions since 1936 ( 85 years ); three of them are alumni.
And each of those coaches served under the previous head coach before taking over.
Each of the 6 have won Championship Titles, also.
That is a legacy of coaching probably unique in the country.
And they were joined by brilliant assistants.

We often note how a singular coach can be the key to a programs success.
The Tommy Knotts disciples follow his success religiously. He is a great coach, no question.
But where was Indy before or since?
Same for his current Dutch Fork.
We ask the question about Reidsville’s Jimmy Teague. He began winning a lot in the last 20 years.
But what happened at Reidsville for 31 consecutive recent years, 1971-2001?
What will happen when Teague retires?

What programs have maintained Championship Title level excellence across multiple coaching changes?
Charlotte Catholic?
Gaffney?
Who, besides Shelby, has even done it for the last 50 years?
WRH has with 5 coaches over 40 years

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT