ADVERTISEMENT

2A Davidson County to have plenty of new coaches next year

Thanks! Had a brain freeze for a minute. Any names come to mind who would want any of the jobs or who the schools might want to go after? Just like any collegiate level-ADs should always have a list for situations like these.
I know a few non teachers that will apply, but no names I hear being pushed out there.

1. Robert Hairston - Coached at Lexington
2. Brian Hege - Coached at Central Davidson
3.Sammy Staton - Coached at North Davidson
1. Hairston has had known health issues so I don't think with his age you'll see that cause me a major option....
2. Word is Hege might get the AD job at the middle school. Only job he would take at this point is the North boys job.
3. Staton is probably only gonna look at West. He didn't get the central job last year when it opened up so I don't see him getting back to HS with the age his kids are at right now...

Hege is a heck of a coach! No disrespect meant by this, but why not give "new blood" a chance....wasn't Staton the one who was at North Davidson and didn't do well at all?

Hege is a heck of a coach! No disrespect meant by this, but why not give "new blood" a chance....wasn't Staton the one who was at North Davidson and didn't do well at all?
I totally agree a new coach should be brought in. There are plenty of county grads that would make great HS coaches.

1. Hairston has had known health issues so I don't think with his age you'll see that cause me a major option....
2. Word is Hege might get the AD job at the middle school. Only job he would take at this point is the North boys job.
3. Staton is probably only gonna look at West. He didn't get the central job last year when it opened up so I don't see him getting back to HS with the age his kids are at right now...

1. Hairston does not have health issues.
2. Hege would coach
3. Staton is a very good coach needs a good situation.
4. Need a season coach with experience not a coach that has never coached before.

Hairston resigned due to health issues and family problems in 13, or at least that's what the press release had said.... I think Hege would coach but only if it was at North.... and Staton had a good thing at North but he never really produced.... there aren't many coaches that are vets that want to coach as much anymore. I think a fresh face would do the county and the conference good. I have a feeling most if not all the coaches hired will be Davidson County natives. Most schools tend to sign county coaches first.

Hairston resigned due to health issues and family problems in 13, or at least that's what the press release had said.... I think Hege would coach but only if it was at North.... and Staton had a good thing at North but he never really produced.... there aren't many coaches that are vets that want to coach as much anymore. I think a fresh face would do the county and the conference good. I have a feeling most if not all the coaches hired will be Davidson County natives. Most schools tend to sign county coaches first.

That's is not true! That is not why Hairston resigned press was fetching. Hairston resigned bc of the politics that were at Lexington about what players he should play and what's players he shouldn't play. Hairston want to fix the image at Lexington and got rid of some athletes that were not listening and getting and trouble. The administration put them back on the team. I know him personally and that was a LIE! He's assistant coaching the girls at Salisbury High School waiting for the right opportunity. He also helps Mike Gurley at West Rowan.

That's is not true! That is not why Hairston resigned press was fetching. Hairston resigned bc of the politics that were at Lexington about what players he should play and what's players he shouldn't play. Hairston want to fix the image at Lexington and got rid of some athletes that were not listening and getting and trouble. The administration put them back on the team. I know him personally and that was a LIE! He's assistant coaching the girls at Salisbury High School waiting for the right opportunity. He also helps Mike Gurley at West Rowan.
So which of those jobs is most attractive to him? Cause I can't see him a fit at West. Maybe North, and probably East.

A GREAT coach can find a way to produce if the individual coaches at the same school for several years.
Davidson County seems to only want to stay with Davidson County people based on some of these others posts...why is that so important? If the teams haven't had success that way why not look at some successful schools in Forsyth or Guilford and try to go after some good assistants or a succesful JV Coach...

A GREAT coach can find a way to produce if the individual coaches at the same school for several years.
Davidson County seems to only want to stay with Davidson County people based on some of these others posts...why is that so important? If the teams haven't had success that way why not look at some successful schools in Forsyth or Guilford and try to go after some good assistants or a succesful JV Coach...
Every basketball coach in the county, except 2, are Davidson County born. As someone that is from the county, I can say it's an attractive offer to come back and coach there. Probably 60% if not more of the teachers in DC are from here, or have family here. It's just a tight nit County. It happens to trickle into athletics, and other than a few coaches, it often ends up being a positive thing for schools.

Could there be a big difference in teaching and coaching supplement? Hard to take a cut in pay, when your pay is low. Coming from Forsyth or Guilford. I don't have facts just guessing.

1. Hairston does not have health issues.
2. Hege would coach
3. Staton is a very good coach needs a good situation.
4. Need a season coach with experience not a coach that has never coached before.
No dog at all just reading posts and have internet so...

http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20130219/hairston-resigns-as-lexington-boys-basketball-coach

Here is a quote from article:

Robert Hairston suddenly resigned as Lexington’s boys basketball coach Tuesday afternoon, citing personal family reasons, Lexington Principal Travis Taylor announced.

“Coach Hairston rather abruptly resigned due to personal health reasons,” Taylor said. “He didn’t go into any additional detail and asked us not to speculate upon anything further than that. We don’t have anything else to say about that.”

I can see where someone might think there might be health issues.

Also know sometimes what is printed is not always the real story.

Again do not know the coach or situation just thought I would check it out on interweb.

http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20130219/hairston-resigns-as-lexington-boys-basketball-coach

Robert Hairston suddenly resigned as Lexington’s boys basketball coach Tuesday afternoon, citing personal family reasons, Lexington Principal Travis Taylor announced.

“Coach Hairston rather abruptly resigned due to personal health reasons,” Taylor said. “He didn’t go into any additional detail and asked us not to speculate upon anything further than that. We don’t have anything else to say about that.”

Again do not know the coach or situation just thought I would check it out on interweb.

i know what the paper said. That was the excuse that they came up with. Hairston told them to tell the paper what they wanted too. He was done with all the politics.

I'm good friends with Hairston. That's not the reason why he resigned. He just walked away......

Reactions: thekidd12
Could there be a big difference in teaching and coaching supplement? Hard to take a cut in pay, when your pay is low. Coming from Forsyth or Guilford. I don't have facts just guessing.
In Davidson County there is a big difference in coaching pay if you run it beside Guilford or Forsyth.. Most coaches here are underpaid.

I feel like booster clubs could raise additional funds to pay coaches more? Not sure of any rules that state they can't.

Boosters can fund extra supplements to my knowledge. I've know it to happen. Not sure a booster would want to do that though. Do it for one and all are going to want it... and that can get costly.

Boosters can fund extra supplements to my knowledge. I've know it to happen. Not sure a booster would want to do that though. Do it for one and all are going to want it... and that can get costly.
You will usually see this happen more in a small one county/city school system. A little more flexible than multiple school systems.

Reactions: All-out_34
Why haven't the other 2 jobs been posted? Heck, North Davidson posted recently for assistant football positions on Max Preps..

They haven't been posted on the Davidson County website due to HR... and not posting to Maxpreps has to do with North admin, or they may not can till the county gives the ok. The North jobs were also a surprise openings, as well as East. West I honk was known even before the season was over.

I think Hege would be more prone to coach girls at this point if he does coach. From my understanding he coaches a girls AAU team anyways. So might end up taking over for Rouche.

Heard that if some of the players were not going to be seniors they would be transferring. One parent is extremely frustrated about how the lack of a search is going.

They aren't now as it is to late. However, I've heard on record that if some parents knew they wanted have a coach at this point and the players weren't going to be a senior they would leave. It's easy, they don't have to move. Just go to a school in Forsyth county.

After talking to a someone close to the process it is as I feared. North had asked for the posting to be put up months ago, but DCS HR is just dragging its feet... from what I hear though, the West opening shouldn't be posted too much longer, maybe 2 more weeks if that. Looks like West will be the first with a new coach, unless something crazy happens

After talking to a someone close to the process it is as I feared. North had asked for the posting to be put up months ago, but DCS HR is just dragging its feet... from what I hear though, the West opening shouldn't be posted too much longer, maybe 2 more weeks if that. Looks like West will be the first with a new coach, unless something crazy happens

Does the DCS HR not understand what problems they are presenting? Why isn't administration causing a stir about it for both ND and ED? If I was a Principal or AD I would be furious!

If I was a coach i wouldn't even worry with camps for these kids this summer and just schedule scrimmages. Will take time to get a new system in place, and no way you'd be able to have a good camp this late.....
I'm sure admin have raised some kinda fuss. I think at this point the biggest thing is.... between the 3 schools only 2 teaching spots are opening right now. So my thought is HR is trying to see what teachers are leaving so they can tie the coaching to a teaching spot... but still is hurting cause I'll go ahead and open up about it, my cousin has applied for the West job, and has plans to apply for the others, and he would be a non teaching coach.

Non-teacher coaches at the varsity level are difficult, especially for Boys basketball and football. Not impossible, but if the Head Coach does not have his assistant at the school during the day...it can present a lot of problems. Lack of communication, checking on academics, discipline if needed during the school day, so forth and so on. Any individual that desires to be a Head Coach and not teach I would hope is bringing in 6 figures, otherwise lateral entry teaching is the way to go.

Non-teacher coaches at the varsity level are difficult, especially for Boys basketball and football. Not impossible, but if the Head Coach does not have his assistant at the school during the day...it can present a lot of problems. Lack of communication, checking on academics, discipline if needed during the school day, so forth and so on. Any individual that desires to be a Head Coach and not teach I would hope is bringing in 6 figures, otherwise lateral entry teaching is the way to go.

Question, do community coaches have access to student grades?

Would probably have to have an assistant that does. Hard to build good relationship with the students if you are not on campus. Also I know that there was a rule put in place about you had to be a certified teacher to be a coach in some districts.
Was just curious if a community coach could legally have access to student grades.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT