ADVERTISEMENT

Possible counties with new schools in the next 5 years

sammyk

Oct 26, 2001
With all the growth around Charlotte and Raleigh here is where we may see new schools popping up.

Charlotte(Meck) - I can see 2 new schools being built int he next 5 years. I reality three probably would be the best but 2 is more likely to happen.

Wake(Raleigh) - from what I have heard three new schools will be open in the next 5 years. One by the airport, another one in Apex and on off of Rt 1. Thing is the Northern end of the county where Wake Forest is will a new school soon. So maybe 4

Cabarrus- So much overflow from Charlotte continues to spill over into Cab county. One more school may be built in the next 5 years

Union- same as Cab county Charlotte spillover. Possibly one more school

Johnston- this county is now a true suburb of Raleigh. Was the fastest growing county in the state from 2010-2021 and gained more people than Durham and Guilford during that time. I see at least one school being built

Durham- population grew by more than 52K people over the past 10 years. This area is attracting young professionals and the City is doing a solid job by trying to change Durham's reputation. Perhaps 1 new school in the next 5 years. The county has only 5 high schools so things are cramped.

Chatham - with new businesses that are moving in with it's proximity to Apex and the rest of the Triangle this area will continue to grow rapidly. Maybe a new high school.

Alamance- with its central location between Guilford and Wake counties, this area will attract people who work in both towns. A new school was just built but if the growing continues another may be coming.

Brunswick- was the second fastest growing county from 2010-2021. With Myrtle beach moving north and Wilmington Moving south. You might see one school in the next half a decade

Last edited:
Charlotte will have the new HS in between South Meck and Ardrey Kell opening soon.

Cabarrus will have a new HS near Midland in the next couple of years

Reactions: btango
In Iredell County, a new school is projected to be built by 2025. Called Weathers Creek high. School was projected to be built sooner but ran into financial issues. I had seen that it was to be built by 2023, then it was moved up to ‘24, now ‘25. Also from what I read the school will take the overflow of South Iredell and Lake Norman.

Not really a "New school" but W.H. Page High is being totally rebuilt from the ground up construction starting in 2024.

I have often thought Hoke county must be in need of an additional High School with alot of folks from Fayetteville moving across the county line but I have never heard any talk at all about it.

Have heard all sorts of talk of a second high school in Hoke County, but nothing has became of it. Would not be surprised if another high school is built in Moore County. Union Pines and Pinecrest are bursting at the seams. Lee County may build another high school down the road, but not anytime soon. The same thing can also be said for Randolph County.

Last edited:
Mooresville Graded School District need another high school soon - There always been rumors of HS getting built never has but With the Growth Mooresville is seeing like Cabarrus n Others are seeing due to CLT - It’s only a matter of time that Mooresville need to Expand on the current campus or Another HS is needed

Reactions: Champ_24
Iredell will need another high school by the time the new one opens. My guess is it's only a matter of time before every high school in the county is a 4A high school(assuming the classification vote fails) The south end is going to keep growing and at some point you have to start redistricting and pushing kids to Statesville, North, and West.

I know Cabarrus, Union, and Gaston will likely face similar issues but this is what happens when governments refuse to plan for growth and only focus on a now mindset.

Iredell will need another high school by the time the new one opens. My guess is it's only a matter of time before every high school in the county is a 4A high school(assuming the classification vote fails) The south end is going to keep growing and at some point you have to start redistricting and pushing kids to Statesville, North, and West.

I know Cabarrus, Union, and Gaston will likely face similar issues but this is what happens when governments refuse to plan for growth and only focus on a now mindset.
I am in Johnston County it's just East of Raleigh and they are building a new school within 3 years. There are 8 schools in that county 3 of them are 2000+ students three more are 1500+. What I have seen is the lack of infrastructure, they need new and better roads badly. It's nuts the counties near Raleigh and Durham are just exploding very much to what you saw in Charlotte 15 years ago. Wake County is predicted to be almost 1.5 million people by 2030, Durham near 400K thats almost 2 million people in two counties. Johnston, will be near or above 300K by then. The Triangle area by 2030 very well may have over 2.5 million people living within Wake, Durham, Johnston , Orange counties

Last edited:
  • Wow
I do not see another school in Brunswick in 5 years. All three schools have room for growth. I think everyone around here would like to see all three schools at 4A numbers. WB is the closest to that at 1500 kids. If WB fills up the county could change the lines a bit and move some of those kids to SB, which is the smallest of the schools at 1160. NB is at 1430. I feel it will take more than 5 years to get SB to 1500 and keep the other 2 schools around that number.
Now, Brunswick Co is a large county and if they do open another school I can see at least 3 of the schools being at 2A numbers.

I do not see another school in Brunswick in 5 years. All three schools have room for growth. I think everyone around here would like to see all three schools at 4A numbers. WB is the closest to that at 1500 kids. If WB fills up the county could change the lines a bit and move some of those kids to SB, which is the smallest of the schools at 1160. NB is at 1430. I feel it will take more than 5 years to get SB to 1500 and keep the other 2 schools around that number.
Now, Brunswick Co is a large county and if they do open another school I can see at least 3 of the schools being at 2A numbers.
Riverboat Shane Handy will increase those West Brunswick numbers

• Haha
I am in Johnston County it's just East of Raleigh and they are building a new school within 3 years. There are 8 schools in that county 3 of them are 2000+ students three more are 1500+. What I have seen is the lack of infrastructure, they need new and better roads badly. It's nuts the counties near Raleigh and Durham are just exploding very much to what you saw in Charlotte 15 years ago. Wake County is predicted to be almost 1.5 million people by 2030, Durham near 400K thats almost 2 million people in two counties. Johnston, will be near or above 300K by then. The Triangle area by 2030 very well may have over 2.5 million people living within Wake, Durham, Johnston , Orange counties

The lack of infrastructure across the state is alarming. Look at 77 going through Charlotte. There is never a looking ahead thought process

The lack of infrastructure across the state is alarming. Look at 77 going through Charlotte. There is never a looking ahead thought process
When I moved to NC back in 1998 I-77 was a mess back then. And yes your metro area will continue to grow there will be problems. But even more so with the counties that touch the major Metro areas. If you look at your booming metro counties and the counties that are growing because of them here is what you got

Wake County growing at 32.96%clip Johnston County is growing at 36.27% Harnett 21.16%, Franklin 17.06% because of Wake co
Durham county growing at 27.81% Chatham county is growing at 26.16% clip because of Wake and Durham
Char-Meck growing at 27.69% Union 23.88%, Cabarras 34.9%, Gaston 13.79%, Iredell 22.22% all because of Charlotte

Your other metro areas Guilford 14.8%, Forsyth, 11.83%, Buncombe 16.98% New Hannover 14.78% Orange 14.47% Alamance 17.45% are growing and adding to counties that touch them so something needs to happen with setting up roads schools shopping ect. But every county listed above very well could be adding schools in the next 5-7 years

Last edited:
I've always felt like there should be a high school built in the eastern part of of Mooresville. Mooresville is simply overcrowded. I feel the county could easily move 400 of South Iredell students into West Iredell High. Either redraw the lines or just build more schools because the county needs more schools. Population is just too big

Mooresville needs to expand again or build a new HS but I know with the NEW middle school it wont be for a while till that may happen but Mooresville is near or at Capacity Already.

Iredell co school they need to redo the lines and enforce them and also SI has the room for South Iredell to get a new middle school on the same property and that would help balance out the middle schools n such

Mooresville needs to expand again or build a new HS but I know with the NEW middle school it wont be for a while till that may happen but Mooresville is near or at Capacity Already.

Iredell co school they need to redo the lines and enforce them and also SI has the room for South Iredell to get a new middle school on the same property and that would help balance out the middle schools n such
Iredell County need to redraw district lines. Push the overcrowd kids from Mooresville to Lake Norman district. Push the overcrowd kids from Lake Norman to South. Push the overcrowd kids from South to both West and Statesville. Both schools are less then 6 miles from South so this isn't be an issue. Iredell County got to do better at balancing admin numbers at each school

Cherokee county could have a new school consolidation in 5-7 years.
They sent back the 50million grant for a new school but it's going to happen eventually.

I hope the voters in Cherokee County will be smart enough to vote out those commissioners that voted to send that money back. You don't turn down a $50 million dollar grant.
Unless it had lots of strings attached. I did not read the facts about the money, but it does seem strange regardless of which party is in charge.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Graham and Cherokee Counties are the top 2 most conservative counties in NC.
Percentage wise.

Graham and Cherokee Counties are the top 2 most conservative counties in NC.
Percentage wise.
Curious how that explains returning the money. Is it not wanting change? Is it not wanting to spend state tax money?
Thoughts, BK13T?

Reactions: BK13T-$
It doesn't explain it.
He said regardless of which party is in charge.
I was just stating that conservative party is in n charge of all wnc counties except Buncombe.
Especially Clay, Cherokee and Graham.
It's like 80-20 split.

It doesn't explain it.
He said regardless of which party is in charge.
I was just stating that conservative party is in n charge of all wnc counties except Buncombe.
Especially Clay, Cherokee and Graham.
It's like 80-20 split.
I guess I can look it up and read why money was returned. i am well aware of the political leanings in WNC, just trying to find out why money was returned. I am sure it was just redistributed somewhere else.

Cherokee county voted out the ones that approved it to begin with.

When this first started I was for it just because of my love for Murphy lol. I would've been against it if it was happening in Robbinsville just like they are.
As I've followed it I'm now for it because the kids need it. They could've had one of the nicest school in wnc

When this first started I was for it just because of my love for Murphy lol. I would've been against it if it was happening in Robbinsville just like they are.
As I've followed it I'm now for it because the kids need it. They could've had one of the nicest school in wnc

Look at you having a growth mindset. More people need to develop that mindset when something is needed but too many fall back into the "this ain't the way we've always done it" mindset. That mindset is damaging in many ways.

Reactions: Crestuff
Have heard all sorts of talk of a second high school in Hoke County, but nothing has became of it. Would not be surprised if another high school is built in Moore County. Union Pines and Pinecrest are bursting at the seams. Lee County may build another high school down the road, but not anytime soon. The same thing can also be said for Randolph County.
No info for Lee and Randolph counties, but I work for school bus transportation. I heard from the shop foreman (who is native to Hoke county) that they would rather build a 4 or 5 thousand student capacity replacement than any number of additional high schools. As far as Moore county goes, I LIVE in Moore county and have explained to their board members myself the situation and a couple ways to fix it because you're right. They do need more high schools -- one in the east and one in the west. They refuse to do anything but expand Union Pines and Pinecrest because they want to be stingy with their money

I wonder if they will build a Princeton Middle so that their high school has room for their students to grow?

There has been talk of a fourth high school being built in Moore County, but then again, there's been nothing but talk. I still can't figure out why Lee County HS split in two back in the 2000s. In Harnett County, there has been talk of a third high school in the western part of the county. Again, nothing but talk.

There has benn talk of a fouth high school being built in Moore County, but then again, there's been nothing but talk. I still can't figure out why Lee County HS split in two back in the 2000s. In Harnett County, there has been talk of a third high school in the western part of the county. Again, nothing but talk.
I'm guessing they split Lee Senior for the same reason they need to split Union Pines and Pinecrest.

I could see a new fourth high school in Moore County in the Eastwood area with a third of Pinecrest and a third of Union Pines making up the student population.

Lee County probably had between 2,500 and 3,000 kids when it split up. Not too much breathing room for that number of kids on that campus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT