ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby Football 2022

I don’t know. Don’t keep up with it. A lot?? I do know that the Shelby program lives rent free in a lot of people’s heads.

I mean Reidsville fans have a Napoleon complex because of it.

Yes, some people in Reidsville take Shelby waaaaayyyyy too seriously.

And to answer the title question, not as many as Reidsville is always the answer.

One thing Shelby is always going to have is the inner city kids which brings speed and athletic ability. With those two you’ll always have a recipe for a good and even sometimes great football team. In high school if you have a hand full of kids that can fly and athletes to fill in spots you can win a lot of football games. Other schools aren’t that fortunate to have that year in and year out. Managing that talent is where the teachers, coaches and community comes in. I’ve seen in it with the Shelby Middle School football team already. Undisciplined and some kids that think they don’t have to answer to anyone. Hopefully they can control that over the next few years or like the rest of society it will spiral out of control. Just hope Shelby has enough talent to overcome that if it happens.
This is post is full of BS!! The undertones are telling, just say want you mean!

Yes, some people in Reidsville take Shelby waaaaayyyyy too seriously.

And to answer the title question, not as many as Reidsville is always the answer.
Oh I see what you did there., LOL

Most titles state history: Reidsville
Most wins state history : Shelby

That leaves head to head I guess, meaning "Shelby is always the answer"

Last edited:
I would agree with this.

5 losses

1 Kings Mountain #1 seed and favorite to win 3A
1 AC Reynolds just knocked off the favorite to win 4A and may win the 4A championship
1 Crest still playing in the 3rd round of the 3A playoffs and the biggest rivalry game in the state of NC
2 Burns favorite to win the 2A title.

I am sure there are other 7-5 teams out there but I bet not a single one has 5 losses like those.
I just looked at your wins this year. I would be ashamed. You played a school with 355 students (ADM) and called it a victory. I laughed my butt off. People look at the numbers. Look and dig into the numbers. I am looking at the numbers and I am amazed at what some people call a "machine" and further amazed at what they view as success. In my view East Surry with 588 students (ADM) has MUCH more to be proud of than some of the other teams still playing for a ring. Do you agree with this? How do you get a "cakewalk"?

Ya'll seem to like numbers.
Here are some numbers:

Shelby vs East Surry
Students* 827 - 588 Shelby has 40% more students
Players on roster 70 - 40 Shelby has 70% more players
Staff 13 - 7 Shelby has nearly double the staff

* Average Daily Membership (2019-2020) - To be used for football subdivision purposes
It's just numbers. Numbers don't lie. And they can be used to make reasonable projections. They can even define greatness or refute it.

"I am sure there are other 7-5 teams out there but I bet not a single one has 5 losses like those." Interesting statement. Would you please elaborate on the equally interesting 7 victories you had? Everyone like to talk about their wins. Please tell us about the teams you beat. You know the ones with the combined Won/Loss record of 29/49.

There is statistic of interest about the 32 teams in the west division. I am going to compare that stat and see if it compares with other classifications playoff teams east and west. It will take a little time. It is interesting and tells a great deal about what "unified" reveals and the weight it does and does not carry. I know you think the "The Cream Rises to the Top". It does especially when it hasn't been homogenized.

The Brotherhood paints a narrative that ain't all that. In a few years they will be saying they invented the game.

UNIFIED- I will get around to that.

I just looked at your wins this year. I would be ashamed. You played a school with 355 students (ADM) and called it a victory. I laughed my butt off. People look at the numbers. Look and dig into the numbers. I am looking at the numbers and I am amazed at what some people call a "machine" and further amazed at what they view as success. In my view East Surry with 588 students (ADM) has MUCH more to be proud of than some of the other teams still playing for a ring. Do you agree with this? How do you get a "cakewalk"?

Here are some numbers:

Shelby vs East Surry

* Average Daily Membership (2019-2020) - To be used for football subdivision purposes
It's just numbers. Numbers don't lie. And they can be used to make reasonable projections. They can even define greatness or refute it.

"I am sure there are other 7-5 teams out there but I bet not a single one has 5 losses like those." Interesting statement. Would you please elaborate on the equally interesting 7 victories you had? Everyone like to talk about their wins. Please tell us about the teams you beat. You know the ones with the combined Won/Loss record of 29/49.

There is statistic of interest about the 32 teams in the west division. I am going to compare that stat and see if it compares with other classifications playoff teams east and west. It will take a little time. It is interesting and tells a great deal about what "unified" reveals and the weight it does and does not carry. I know you think the "The Cream Rises to the Top". It does especially when it hasn't been homogenized.

The Brotherhood paints a narrative that ain't all that. In a few years they will be saying they invented the game.

Way too consumed with Shelby.

Here are some numbers:

Shelby vs East Surry

See. It’s Saturday night. You’re so ate up with Shelby you sat down and typed an unsolicited testimonial. 😂😂😂

I don’t know. Don’t keep up with it. A lot?? I do know that theu Shelby program lives rent free in a lot of people’s heads.

I mean Reidsville fans have a Napoleon complex because of it.
Reidsville had won 6 State Championships by 1940. Whoopee! You haven't seemed to get over the hump since 2015. Shelby is a great deal better than Crest. I still don't understand the kissing up. The smaller brother is actually the Bigger Brother (2A-3A) Cerebral Habitual kisser upper. Maybe we could let you borrow some trophies for your case. We could loan you six out of our case and never even miss them. We even have a couple of 3A trophies so they would be in your classification. Rent free? You live in the Shelby's basement. Maybe you can get 2nd to None to start a thread for you. He could make it not hurt so bad. Of course then Shelby wouldn't have you posting about them when they lose to Burns. Things seem to be trending toward Burns. Burns players will gain more through winning than Shelby will gain through losing. And they have lost to them twice. CCC.

Could you loan them one of the ones from somewhere between 1971 and 2001? I bet there are a lot from those 3 decades.

Oh wait, nevemind.
You always go back to those 3 decades. Good to know where your mind is stuck at. Love starting history wherever it makes you feel better

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Could you loan them one of the ones from somewhere between 1971 and 2001? I bet there are a lot from those 3 decades.

Oh wait, nevemind.
Please don’t get that man started, bro. I’m tired of him obsessing over Shelby. That joker’s mind ain’t right. He sat on something Rulz said days ago, and just responded to it harshly last night, despite living and lurking on this site daily. You gotta watch someone like that. Anyway, Shelby is irrelevant now. There I said it, good people of this site. I’m still going to enjoy these playoffs, regardless.

Please don’t get that man started, bro. I’m tired of him obsessing over Shelby. That joker’s mind ain’t right. He sat on something Rulz said days ago, and just responded to it harshly last night, despite living and lurking on this site daily. You gotta watch someone like that. Anyway, Shelby is irrelevant now. There I said it, good people of this site. I’m still going to enjoy these playoffs, regardless.
If the football gods give us a burns Reidsville game you coming up?

First of all, and we will repeat this, congratulations to Burns for defeating the Golden Lions not once, but twice this year. You have proven yourselves the better team for 2022 and we wish you continued success in the playoffs.
Congratulations also to Kings Mountain and Crest and their success in this 2022 football season.
We would love to see two State Titles come back to Cleveland County at the end of this season. It would not be the first time for two in the same year.

As the Shelby Football community is licking its wounds today, we want to put this in perspective.
This is not an effort to make excuses for 2022, nor is it an essay on Shelby success over the years. It is more of our observation on what effects high school football success…..or lack of success. Most of you know these observations already,, but we suddenly have some free time on our hands.
Shelby won the Title in 2019 and 2021. Shelby exited the playoffs uncharacteristically early in both 2020 and 2022.
And both early exits were with several experienced returning key players from the Championship teams.
What happened?
It is easy enough to say, as others have mentioned, that the team chemistry was just not there for a Championship run these seasons.
But what caused that, and is team chemistry really that much of a factor when you still possess proven great talent AND coaching. And community support.

Yes….It is. It is the most important factor. And poor team chemistry can be the hardest thing to overcome in season.
For 2020, Covid was the obvious culprit. Heck, it was played in the SPRING.
But others were successful, even with Covid.
Why was Shelby so off?

Despite many excellent defensive units since 2013, Shelby’s overwhelming success has been due to the record setting offensive explosions since Coach Ware implemented the spread offense at Shelby starting in his first year at the helm in 2011. The difficulty in establishing that offensive scheme in effect sacrificed the Golden Lions seasons of 2011 and 2012. In 2011, Shelby returned TWO 1000 yard rushers, still made it to the Western Finals, but lost to a determined West Stokes crowd, as we “passed” our way to a defeat. 2012 was worse, exiting in the third round as the passing game lacked refinement.
By 2013, it began to click. And the rest you know.

2020, already with the large Covid disruptions, also brought in a head coach only in his 2nd year, who had won in 2019 with many hold overs from Ware’s 2018 Title team. Add in a brand new TRANSFER senior quarterback to run the spread, ZERO seven on seven summer preparation, and a goofy 6 game schedule with no Crest game and a forfeit from East Rutherford. The 20-21 Shelby basketball team was comprised mostly of key football players and played deep into the Spring, winning the Western final, and then waited on a canceled Championship game (ended up co - champions). The Spring football season was IMMEDIATELY upon them.
As all that understandably disrupted a football machine that had flourished for that current decade, the biggest impact to team chemistry came from the players themselves. And that is also how 2020 relates to 2022.
As we correctly protect details of damaging behavior by 14 to 19 year olds, all of us close to the program, and many of you reading this, can safely say that off the field disruptions, attitudes and mistakes by the players themselves can certainly torpedo the opportunity for a more successful football season. Shelby folks have experienced this long before now, and it will happen again. We all make mistakes. The kids will learn. And this has absolutely nothing to do with race. We have lost key white players for fighting, skipping classes, choosing hunting over practice, etc. and significantly damaging previous squads.
But losing good team chemistry seems to always doom even a championship level team. You see it everywhere, in all sports.
This year, we thought maybe we had overcome it.
The win last week over a very good Forest Hills team was won on heart and determination. The guys rallied.
But that high could not be sustained.
And a decisively better Burns team exposed our sluggishness.

That’s it. The challenge for today's high school coaches is, in some ways, greater than ever. They are expected to prepare the kids to win, but have to counsel as well as coach. They deserve our praise, more than our criticism.

One more thing we know from history….
Is it just me or does the large fry at mack donalds seem smaller than it used to be?

• Haha
I ain't obsessing. I was telling Crest how much better Shelby was than Crest. I am coming on that Shelby thing. I was thinking about being your representative here in Reidsville. I think I can piece together enough "quotes and canned responses" to do a fair imitation of a Shelby fan. Here's one "Reidsville has never won a Unified State Championship". I could say that up here and make everyone panties get in wad. I tried it out the other day. Someone rebutted me. They said " Reidsville hasn't won any UNIFIED State Championships, you couldn't be more wrong". (It scared me when they yelled like that). They said the NCHSAA on their own website recognizes Reidsville having won State Championships when there was only two classifications in the whole state and others when there was only three classifications (A,AA,AAA) (excluding six man football). I know someone will correct them on that.
Here's the link. I didn't know how to respond. https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/FB STATE CHAMPIONS 05162021.pdf

• Haha
Shelby fans love living in the past...it's a new day and we Burns fans welcome SHS to being the Cleveland county doormat.
I seriously loled.

Where is Crestrulz to come in and say you guys are ridiculous for analyzing one year and acting like it is the whole body of work.

Burns (38-19-0)
Crest (30-23-1)
Kings Mountain (75-20-7)

(Slow clap) Don't let Cleveland County fans down this year Burns.

Burns in the blue. Shelby in black.

Mocking Ufc 207 GIF by UFC

They said " Reidsville hasn't won any UNIFIED State Championships, you couldn't be more wrong". (It scared me when they yelled like that). They said the NCHSAA on their own website recognizes Reidsville having won State Championships when there was only two classifications in the whole state and others when there was only three classifications (A,AA,AAA) (excluding six man football).
You respond like this.

In 1929, at the end of the "open" era, a rival association to the class B size schools formed in Western NC, the WNCHSAA. It existed from 1929 to 1977. It included powerful schools from Western NC that were similar in size to the mid-class schools. The winners of each association did not play each other therefore there was not a unified state champion from 1929-1977. Reidsville did not win a title from 1971-2001. This included the 25 years that there was only one winner per class. In 2002 split classifications were created, coincidentally, the first year Reidsville wins a title after a 3 decade absence from championship play. There were split classifications until just last year when the NCHSAA went back to only one winner per classification.

Last edited:
You respond like this.

In 1929, at the end of the "open" era, a rival association to the class B size schools formed in Western NC, the WNCHSAA. It existed from 1929 to 1977. It included powerful schools from Western NC that were similar in size to the mid-class schools. The winners of each association did not play each other therefore there was not a unified state champion from 1929-1977. Reidsville did not win a title from 1971-2001. This included the 25 years that there was only one winner per class. In 2002 split classifications were created, coincidentally, the first year Reidsville wins a title after a 3 decade absence from championship play. There were split classifications until just last year when the NCHSAA went back to only one winner per classification.

So Reidsville went 30 or so years without a state title, and they still have more than you'z guyz?

Think for lunch Ill have a cheeseburger. I happen to like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes, a big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer... GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY WHICH WAY DO I STEER?

So Reidsville went 30 or so years without a state title, and they still have more than you'z guyz?

Think for lunch Ill have a cheeseburger. I happen to like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes, a big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer... GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY WHICH WAY DO I STEER?
Yes, you are correct. We didn't win 12 in leather helmets and no facemasks like Reidsville did.

Burns is losing some great talent to graduation, Thompson, Allen, and Haynes to name a few, college prospects. They will be hard to replace. Stay humble!
Sage advice, Shelby fans almost as humble as we are in Reidsville. Bad thing is there always someone out there wanting to make you even more humble. I have to admit I haven't always been as humble as I am now. I know LA appreciates that. It's one reason we have develops such a strong friendship. Ain't that right.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion Attack
Three of the four teams that defeated Shelby this year are still playing in the 4th Round of the 2022 NCHSAA playoffs. And the fourth team, Crest, just lost Friday night in the 3rd Round at South Point by a single point.

If 4A AC Reynolds, 3A Kings Mountain, and 2A Burns win out, Shelby would have lost to THREE state Champions in the same season.

The fact that all three are into the 4th Round is astonishing enough.

The fact two of them are from Cleveland County is not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT