ADVERTISEMENT

Alleghany @ Mitchell

Can someone give me an idea about Alleghany. I have no idea what they do. Run happy or pass happy. Strong line or any other info would be helpful.

Go Mountaineers
Nothing fancy at all, they line up and run the football. They rely heavy on a good run game and playing solid D. They rarely if ever out athlete the team they are playing but the kids do their job and play hard. This is the best I’ve seen them look in a few years and I could eat my words but I do believe they are a solid football team from the scrimmage I watched them in. With that being said y’all may beat them by four touchdowns but either way it should be an old fashioned style football game

Nothing fancy at all, they line up and run the football. They rely heavy on a good run game and playing solid D. They rarely if ever out athlete the team they are playing but the kids do their job and play hard. This is the best I’ve seen them look in a few years and I could eat my words but I do believe they are a solid football team from the scrimmage I watched them in. With that being said y’all may beat them by four touchdowns but either way it should be an old fashioned style football game
Sounds like it could be a short game with few possessions. Both teams sound very similar. I will be honest Mitchell surprised me last night compared to game one. Still don’t know how good they can be. 95 sees a lot of promise in this Mountaineer squad. I think this game and Andrews will tell a lot. Alleghany has to be solid to play as well as they did last night.
Hope you can make it down, and safe travel to all.

Go Mountaineers

Sounds like it could be a short game with few possessions. Both teams sound very similar. I will be honest Mitchell surprised me last night compared to game one. Still don’t know how good they can be. 95 sees a lot of promise in this Mountaineer squad. I think this game and Andrews will tell a lot. Alleghany has to be solid to play as well as they did last night.
Hope you can make it down, and safe travel to all.

Go Mountaineers
I know these kids they were some of the last I helped with they continue to surprise me as well remind me of the 22 class heart love for the game and pride, I don’t see anyone beating them anytime soon Marley making me proud in that 22 I love that # legendary all the way back to Ben Young and of course Carter Boy lol

To be honest I figured not much of a game even thought going to Mtn Heritage and watch them and Robbinsville. I mean Allegheny has only been once over .500 ( 7-6) since 2015.
But after someone posted that the team that barely beat them that I've never heard of is ranked #4 1A in Virginia and they did win their first game handedly so it might be a better game than I was thinking.

I’d also agree with Mitchell probably by two touchdowns, but I’d say regardless it’s a low scoring game and Mitchell will probably know alleghany was there. Y’all Mitchell fans are always very respectful and humble so I hope you get to see a good game and I’m not just hyping alleghany up for no reason. But for respect sake in the nw conference I hope alleghany gives y’all a game! Good luck to both teams!

Alleghany looks to be much improved from years prior. Definitely not a ream for this young Mountaineer squad to overlook. Ground'n'pound football, sounds good to me! KW, are you gonna make the trip?

Nah Im not as confident as orange that this will be a close game. We will play hard but ill be skipping the Mitchell and Robbinsville games. Pretty sure I know the outcomes already. Ive gone to every game for years and years and now when we play powerhouse programs im going to save my gas money. We will give it our best but we just aren't built the same as SMC programs and honorary SMC programs and just hope we make it through the next 2 weeks healthy. The western sizzlin is tempting though.... And your stadium is top notch... Been to many Cherokee and playoff games at Mitchell and its hard to beat. The walk through the woods intro is pretty cool. I hope Trojans can pull it out and make me regret not making the trip. We are definitely better than usual. Our QB and RB are legit.

Nah Im not as confident as orange that this will be a close game. We will play hard but ill be skipping the Mitchell and Robbinsville games. Pretty sure I know the outcomes already. Ive gone to every game for years and years and now when we play powerhouse programs im going to save my gas money. We will give it our best but we just aren't built the same as SMC programs and honorary SMC programs and just hope we make it through the next 2 weeks healthy. The western sizzlin is tempting though.... And your stadium is top notch... Been to many Cherokee and playoff games at Mitchell and its hard to beat. The walk through the woods intro is pretty cool. I hope Trojans can pull it out and make me regret not making the trip. We are definitely better than usual. Our QB and RB are legit.
I’m not overly confident by no means. I just think this is a year the Trojans can and will give a lot of people some trouble.

I’m not overly confident by no means. I just think this is a year the Trojans can and will give a lot of people some trouble.
This looks to be the best Trojan team since the 2014 team that shared the MVAC and made a playoff run. Still if Mitchell or robbinsville is legit they’ll beat them by 3TDs atleast. I’d suspect this Trojan team could contend for 3rd place at best in the NW1A.

This looks to be the best Trojan team since the 2014 team that shared the MVAC and made a playoff run. Still if Mitchell or robbinsville is legit they’ll beat them by 3TDs atleast. I’d suspect this Trojan team could contend for 3rd place at best in the NW1A.
Robbinsville is a lot more legit than Mitchell this season. Having said that, if Mitchell limits mistakes they can win several games this season. I think this will be a great test for both programs. Don’t see a 3 score game here. Just my opinion.

Go Mountaineers

I watched a little of the Alleghany game from Friday. Their QB is pretty good and has some wheels. Should be a fun one to watch for any there.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
So many teams getting turf that I wish Mount Airy would. If these small country schools can afford it then MA should also do it. It would look really great with Mount Airy at both end zones and a Bear Head on the 50-yard line. Y'all looks super great ! !

So many teams getting turf that I wish Mount Airy would. If these small country schools can afford it then MA should also do it. It would look really great with Mount Airy at both end zones and a Bear Head on the 50-yard line. Y'all looks super great ! !
Alot of these small schools are getting money from house bills that help them fund the 1mil to 1.5 mil price tag on those turf fields. I think the problem for schools in wilkes, surry, and Yadkin is that there’s more than one school in the county so whatever money they could get in would be split too much. I’m sure MA could raise the money over a period of time but I don’t see it for any other school in the area.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Would they still play soccer on it? Probably so I think. The turf would be done before it should be.

Mitchell's & Mtn Heritage was though a State grant. Some people were even upset on Facebook saying we needed the money in other areas in the school system but what they didn't understand the grant was for the turf specifically and if we didn't accept it then some other school would have gotten it.
As far as liking grass over turf the thing is that field was the same field my senior year which was the first team to play in the stadium 41 years 1982-83 season and was costing a fortune to maintain not to meation all the volunteer work to help maintain it. You couldn't even practice on it much we mainly used the practice field behind the press box and only use the field for scrimmage. The turf simply can take more than real grass and though pricy to replace over all cost less to maintain.

After rewatching Alleghany's game vs Grayson I think Alleghany can keep it close vs Mitchell if they stay in shotgun the entire time and keep #3 at QB. We had 2 drives killed when we decided to go to I formation and put our QB at RB and handed him the ball on isolation plays up the middle over and over again which I think we averaged 1 yard a carry doing that and it seemed like we tried that at least 8 times. When we were in shotgun we were able to move the ball better. We dont have the hogs to be running the I formation against good teams. We have to run a lot of QB draws screens and basically let our QB dance around and make things happen. Putting him at runningback and running the I formation is what I watched all last year and it only worked against North Stokes and Elkin. But then again what doesn't work against them nowadays.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
I haven't watched Mitchell in awhile... Are they still QB left... QB right.... QB up the middle ground and pound 3 yards in the cloud of dust like they were a few years ago? Alleghany hasn't played a ground and pound team yet this year... Surry Central... And Grayson threw the ball a lot and tried to out run you instead of running over you.

I haven't watched Mitchell in awhile... Are they still QB left... QB right.... QB up the middle ground and pound 3 yards in the cloud of dust like they were a few years ago? Alleghany hasn't played a ground and pound team yet this year... Surry Central... And Grayson threw the ball a lot and tried to out run you instead of running over you.
Well we're just getting acquainted ourselves with this team and new QB. They do still run first but not the QB that I saw in the game Friday but if they would he seems to have a pretty good arm and some good receivers. But yeah they're still run first but it's mainly two backs one has the speed and while not slow the other is the pounder 5'10" 235lbs plus he's a good blocking fullback for the other one. The QB plays under center which you don't see much anymore.

After rewatching Alleghany's game vs Grayson I think Alleghany can keep it close vs Mitchell if they stay in shotgun the entire time and keep #3 at QB. We had 2 drives killed when we decided to go to I formation and put our QB at RB and handed him the ball on isolation plays up the middle over and over again which I think we averaged 1 yard a carry doing that and it seemed like we tried that at least 8 times. When we were in shotgun we were able to move the ball better. We dont have the hogs to be running the I formation against good teams. We have to run a lot of QB draws screens and basically let our QB dance around and make things happen. Putting him at runningback and running the I formation is what I watched all last year and it only worked against North Stokes and Elkin. But then again what doesn't work against them nowadays.
Agreed. I didn't watch the whole game, but #3 was impressive running the ball out of gun. He was quick when he need to move and passed well. I can see why they would be tempted to put him at rb, but they need him at qb so the ball is in his hands every snap.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Exactly best players need to touch the ball every play

That hasn't been Mitchell's MO since the 90's. You are thinking of Heritage. Mitchell is a run first offense, but far more than a QB keeper only offense. Wing-T/pistol hybrid, a lot of misdirection, ball hiding, slot routs, and yes, keepers up the middle.

The last time I watched y'all play was against Thomasville in 3RD rd in 2021 and the entire game was your QB Ty Turbyfill running the ball on almost every play. It worked but I sure didn't see any misdirection or passes lol

That hasn't been Mitchell's MO since the 90's. You are thinking of Heritage. Mitchell is a run first offense, but far more than a QB keeper only offense. Wing-T/pistol hybrid, a lot of misdirection, ball hiding, slot routs, and yes, keepers up the middle.
Well while it was pretty balanced his So year Turbyfill's Jr year it was basically like KW23 describes he had over 2,414 yards rushing the next closes was 969. But last year Giarrusso and Young took over the running for the most part.
Not by the margin of Ty's Jr year but Pittman and Young as QB's had a year were they were the leading rushers buy it was still more balanced. So though doesn't look like this year as much as a running QB which is good I think a running QB chances more to get hurt though of course he's got plenty of RBs to hand off to. I hoping they let him pass a little more especially short and medium range he seems to have a pretty good arm and it keeps the D guessing.

I know your not supposed to compare scores when analyzing games.... But that #4 ranked VA 1a team that barely beat us last Friday barely beat a Carroll County VA team tonight that was 2-8 last year 12 to 7... They intercepted a pass in the endzone to seal a win... So I dont think Grayson will be ranked that high in 1a very long. We played a great game Friday I just dont think we have really played a "great" team yet. I got a bad feeling about tomorrow night after seeing that Grayson score tonight. I think Mountain Heritage Robbinsville will be a better game especially if Robbinsville has injuries on there oline.

Thanks keep updates coming for us undedicated fans that didn't travel lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT