ADVERTISEMENT

Mt Airy vs Robbinsville Western Regional Final

Something else to remember a 7-5 Kentucky beat Louisville 38-31. Bama beat Kentucky 49-21 this year. FSU will have their 2nd string QB back though. FSU defense is pretty good and will keep a game close. Going to be an interesting day.
Definitely an interesting day. Does the committee go with the "4 best" mantra or "4 most deserving"?

This would have been the perfect year for a 12 team playoff cause I dont think there are 1 or 2 teams that are heads and shoulders above everyone else like in past years.

Could have better judged FSU last night if the second string QB could have played. The D is good enough to play with anyone but so does Iowa but you saw last night how a team with a really good D but no offense fairs against a playoff team. Though FSU has other better skilled players than Iowa still without Jordan at QB not sure how their offense will match up in a playoff game.

Reactions: therealsquid
I think the way you would answer who should get into the college football playoff will probably align with whether you whether you thought Robbinsville or MA should have been the 1 seed this year. Do you go with arguabling deserving or arguably the best? If not, that's your bias talking to you. The current NCHSAA system seems to go for deserving over best. That's probably why you had so many lower seeds in the 4th and 5th rounds in the high classifications. In the lower classifications, the deserving and best tend to be the same. Just some random thoughts for the morning. Back later to see everyone's complete disagreement and hopefully being called an idiot one or twice so I know I am doing this message board thing right.

Best: Georgia, Bama, Michigan, Washington

Deserving: Michigan, Washington, FSU, Texas

FSU absolutely shut down a pretty good offense last night. They shouldn't be punished with Travis out.

Yesterday's games were actually a bunch of hot garbage.
I'm not sure you can tell an undefeated team of a power 5 they can't play in the playoffs but NC State had a really good D this year including the ACC defensive player of the Year and if they had had any offensive they would have beaten Louisville, infact then way the offense picked up a little at the end they probably beat them in a rematch, but they certainly don't belong in the playoffs lol.
One thing for sure this season shows why there needs to be a least a 12 team playoffs because with the portal I believe you're going to see this scenario of no real dominant team like in the past about if not every year now.

I'm not sure you can tell an undefeated team of a power 5 they can't play in the playoffs but NC State had a really good D this year including the ACC defensive player of the Year and if they had had any offensive they would have beaten Louisville, infact then way the offense picked up a little at the end they probably beat them in a rematch, but they certainly don't belong in the playoffs lol.
One thing for sure this season shows why there needs to be a least a 12 team playoffs because with the portal I believe you're going to see this scenario of no real dominant team like in the past about if not every year now.
Player will go where the money is. Might mean a resurgence of SMU after getting the death penalty for essential doing what they are now allowing. In general the haves will probably continue to be the haves.

I think the portal is really going to even some things out. Yeah some schools are going to have the big money to give the 5 star kids but your 4 and 5 star kids that go and are sitting behind other players are going to transfer where they can play, be seen, and get some NIL money or boost their draft stock.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
Player will go where the money is. Might mean a resurgence of SMU after getting the death penalty for essential doing what they are now allowing. In general the haves will probably continue to be the haves.
True but this year at least it's been a equalizer in some ways. And if money talks then I'd say Texas A&M will vastly improve, any school that can afford to fire a coach and give him $73 million to leave can afford to buy good players.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
They had a top 20 offense coming into last night.

He looked absolutely awful last night. That interception in the endzone was pitiful. He held onto the ball way too long, especially in the pressing moments late.
They were 31st in country prior to last night in points/game in what is arguably the weakest power 5 conference this year.

I was shocked it seemed their offensive coaches made no adjustments at halftime. Same formations etc even though they only had 1 wr that could separate. No stack formations,no bunch formations to help the wrs against clearly better athletes.And clearly their qb needed all the help he could get.

FSU absolutely shut down a pretty good offense last night. They shouldn't be punished with Travis out.

Yesterday's games were actually a bunch of hot garbage.
You can say that again lol. That Louisville-FSU game may be one of the worst games I ever watched. Wished there was more meaningful basketball on yesterday honestly. After Carolina-FSU, there wasn’t anything really on. Then Duke and Kentucky got beat😂😂

Reactions: sbbbfan
Definitely an interesting day. Does the committee go with the "4 best" mantra or "4 most deserving"?

This would have been the perfect year for a 12 team playoff cause I dont think there are 1 or 2 teams that are heads and shoulders above everyone else like in past years.
Can you imagine the Paul Finebaum show on Monday if no SEC team makes it.

My brother who first is a NC State fan but for some reason has been a Alabama fan for a long time when I said to him at church that I wouldn't what to be on that NCAA board that decides who's in the playoffs said he knows exactly who'd he'd pick and one not picked surprised me.
He said he would have Michigan, Texas, Alabama & Georgia , and when I said what about Washington he believes that are they are the best 4 teams but realizes that WA will have to be in it but believes they'll just be another TCU and the other four are the best teams in the country one lost or not.
Not sure I agree with him which happens a sometimes I believe WA is a good team between brothers lol but I guess we'll find out.

Reactions: gdawg74
Wow surprised Bama made it but they have gotten better as the year went with Milroe. Michigan got the short in the stick. I could see a Bama Texas part 2
I'm not at all the four choices are exactly who I thought they would be. I knew they wouldn't leave out a SEC team especially FSU #1 QB out for the season even though #2 can play again.

I'm glad this is it with this terrible 4 team process. We're much better off arguing over which 2 loss teams get left out over who the best 4 are

For you folks who like to bet. The Vegas odds on the two games are.
Michigan -2 vs Alabama _ over/under 45.5
Washington vs Texas -4 _ over/under 64.5

I hope Alabama gets the dog shit beat out of them in the playoffs.....this is all driven by ESPN and the money....ESPN wanted Ala.....probably a few bucks were thrown at the right people and voila......travesty...Also this is the last year SEC will be on CBS....guess where the SEC is headed...?? you got it......ESPN

I hope Alabama gets the dog shit beat out of them in the playoffs.....this is all driven by ESPN and the money....ESPN wanted Ala.....probably a few bucks were thrown at the right people and voila......travesty...Also this is the last year SEC will be on CBS....guess where the SEC is headed...?? you got it......ESPN
I am an ACC guy but Kentucky beating Louisville the last week of the season along with their one sided loss to a bad Pitt team took a lot away from the ACC Championship. (I had tickets and gave them away.) Just not impressive at all just as the win at Florida which lost their last five games. I think deserving is a fair statement for this FSU team but just not very impressive.

Did the ACC not vote against expanding the college football playoff initially causing it to be delayed until next year? Pretty sure they did.

Reactions: therealsquid
I am an ACC guy but Kentucky beating Louisville the last week of the season along with their one sided loss to a bad Pitt team took a lot away from the ACC Championship. (I had tickets and gave them away.) Just not impressive at all just as the win at Florida which lost their last five games. I think deserving is a fair statement for this FSU team but just not very impressive.

Did the ACC not vote against expanding the college football playoff initially causing it to be delayed until next year? Pretty sure they did.
ACC , Pac12 & Big Ten formed a pac in 2021 and all voted against the expansion for this year.
And really even the 4 teams playing you can show a game were they barely got by to very average teams.
WA against WA State
Michigan against Penn
Alabama against 3-5 Auburn they just got lucky people look at the last second TD pass but it really came down to a dropped punt for Auburn.
Texas against Kansas State and 3-6 TCU

According to Bo Corrigan it simply came down to FSU losing their QB.

ACC , Pac12 & Big Ten formed a pac in 2021 and all voted against the expansion for this year.
And really even the 4 teams playing you can show a game were they barely got by to very average teams.
WA against WA State
Michigan against Penn
Alabama against 3-5 Auburn they just got lucky people look at the last second TD pass but it really came down to a dropped punt for Auburn.
Texas against Kansas State and 3-6 TCU

According to Bo Corrigan it simply came down to FSU losing their QB.
I don't like FSU. Never have really, but that just feels wrong. You get dropped because a person got injured. FSU has a right to be mad at this decision. I would say Georgia does too really. They went from 1 to 6 because of a 3 point loss to a team the committee thought high enough of to put in. Ignoring the 10 point loss Bama had to Texas. The committee was in a no win situation, but I think they went with the worst choice. Georgia they could justify more than Bama as 3 pt loss in a championship game is better than a 10 point loss among the 3 in that triangle. Or if they went FSU they simple point out they are undefeated, which is a difficult choice to argue with. Their best hope to justify this is FSU and Georgia lose in whatever bowl they play in. Either way, they definitely just intensified FSU wishes to get out of the ACC.

I don't like FSU. Never have really, but that just feels wrong. You get dropped because a person got injured. FSU has a right to be mad at this decision. I would say Georgia does too really. They went from 1 to 6 because of a 3 point loss to a team the committee thought high enough of to put in. Ignoring the 10 point loss Bama had to Texas. The committee was in a no win situation, but I think they went with the worst choice. Georgia they could justify more than Bama as 3 pt loss in a championship game is better than a 10 point loss among the 3 in that triangle. Or if they went FSU they simple point out they are undefeated, which is a difficult choice to argue with. Their best hope to justify this is FSU and Georgia lose in whatever bowl they play in. Either way, they definitely just intensified FSU wishes to get out of the ACC.
How about UNC Wilmington beating Kentucky in Basketball?????

Like you say a no win situation there's really case someone can make about the top 6 teams. I don't really have an issue with Alabama going in over GA because like they said they're looking at the here and now not weeks ago and the fact is GA lost the championship 3 points or not and Alabama fans can make the case that they're a better team then they was when they played Texas if they end up in the championship we'll find out.
But this is all the more reason for the expansion to 12 in the playoffs which starts next year but while the ACC commissioner is upset they can take some of the blame themselves voting against the expansion starting this year.

NCAA has reversed their ruling on JMU and letting them participate in a bowl this year a year before their eligibility because there wasn't enough 6 win teams to qualify for a bowl.

Reactions: sbbbfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT