ADVERTISEMENT

Who's it going to be at BIG T?????

Just for conversation sake...I know the job was posted and open for application..and it seems at least a fair amount of folks aren't real excited about the "finalists" for the job..so I guess my question would be why did tuscola not reach out to some one that per say didn't apply but may have had interest...3 names come to mind...Bruce ollis polk county..Joey robinson..mt heritage..josh Brooks franklin..throw in laws..gentry and Chappell and I think that's 6 of the best west of hickory..granted I see no way gentry leaves as he's ready to retire..laws has best job in mountains and Chappell has Pisgah job...not saying Brooks ollis or robinson interested but I feel all three would have listened and I feel all three would be good fit for tuscola..but hey that's what these boards are for...speculation rumors opinions and arm chair coaches and and ADS

Reactions: bamatide13
Word outta Sylva yesterday was Brookshire had the job simply waiting on formal announcement...I'd make a prediction that if either postells or Brookshire land the job...neither last more than 3 years..just an opinion...nothing more...so what's the name coming out in Haywood county right now?
Wow, three years! Given that's exactly how long Tuscola has to stay in the MAC til realignment, that's about as safe a bet as I've seen. I should take you to Vegas.

Wow....well that wasn't what I was expecting to hear or even necessarily wanting to hear but ...best of luck to tuscola..I'll be back when my Panthers are bout to open the season w a win over the cougars from Asheville...

Like i said a couple weeks ago.. Postell for president. If it is him, that team will run through a brick wall for that guy.

This job was really only open to one person. The principal had to interview a couple others candidates, but they were not going to get the job. As I mentioned previously, a candidate applied that has won 10 plus games each of the past 3 seasons and he is not even contacted. A strong defensive minded coach.
I will support our new coach and hope he does well. He needs to hire a couple quality assistant coaches.

This job was really only open to one person. The principal had to interview a couple others candidates, but they were not going to get the job. As I mentioned previously, a candidate applied that has won 10 plus games each of the past 3 seasons and he is not even contacted. A strong defensive minded coach.
I will support our new coach and hope he does well. He needs to hire a couple quality assistant coaches.

I don't know that there is any money to hire anybody. This was as much about money and teaching positions as anything. I've no idea how many supplement slots they have for assistants. Obviously one will be freed up. I imagine you can have as many volunteers as you like. Kiefer had 17 one year.

I get tickled when I read statements like "Coach XYZ needs to be able to bring in his own staff". This ain't college and teaching slots aren't tied to coaching contracts anymore. Maybe in a real football hotbed with lots of cash a school can pull this off but most systems are struggling to find a way to keep teaching assistants and programs afloat.

I don't know that there is any money to hire anybody. This was as much about money and teaching positions as anything. I've no idea how many supplement slots they have for assistants. Obviously one will be freed up. I imagine you can have as many volunteers as you like. Kiefer had 17 one year.

I get tickled when I read statements like "Coach XYZ needs to be able to bring in his own staff". This ain't college and teaching slots aren't tied to coaching contracts anymore. Maybe in a real football hotbed with lots of cash a school can pull this off but most systems are struggling to find a way to keep teaching assistants and programs afloat.

Has Pisgah ever worried about teaching positions and how it works out, or do they go and hire the best person and tell people how it is going to be? I agree with other posters on this. Like I said, it appears football is not a priority anymore in Waynesville. Let's figure out what is easiest and takes the least amount of effort and let's make it work so as not to offend anyone. In all fairness, the school system has not had a competent leader in years, but once again Pisgah makes it work. Just calling it like I see it. If who I heard gets the job, I will support them.

Reactions: W.I.R.
Its a fact that football has taken a backseat on our end. There is no interest in long term solutions from youth thru HS. And that is a fact.
Our brethren from the other end of the county have taken the opposite approach and it has paid off. So waynesvilllle folk ,I ask you like a song from long ago....
"Give a damn" ...

Has Pisgah ever worried about teaching positions and how it works out, or do they go and hire the best person and tell people how it is going to be? I agree with other posters on this. Like I said, it appears football is not a priority anymore in Waynesville. Let's figure out what is easiest and takes the least amount of effort and let's make it work so as not to offend anyone. In all fairness, the school system has not had a competent leader in years, but once again Pisgah makes it work. Just calling it like I see it. If who I heard gets the job, I will support them.

Admittedly, it is not a priority except for a small minority but moreover, it shows the domination of the east side of the county in our local educational system. Pisgah makes it work because they have the ear and support of the administration because they run virtually everything having to do with the school system. They get what they want and we get what they want us to have. Sucks, but such is life.

What they fail to understand is what Dr. Belcher understood at WCU. Athletics, particularly football, is the front porch of the institution. It is the most visible aspect of your school to the community on a daily basis. It also can generate revenue if you apply yourself. Speaking from experience, getting the community involved is the hard part. The parents are either oblivious, lazy, or Balkanized to their child's particular sport. The "flatlander tourist carpetbagger" types that have taken over this side of the county are one problem but I've also seen several dad's who grew up here cussing and fussing at the coaches during games but not once did they ever bring some on-sale cases of Gatorade to the field house or cook the boys hot dogs after practice or pick up the post-game meal on a road trip.

I honestly thought the least offensive option was to go outside of both "main" choices and pick Door #3, then you piss off both sides and move on.

Reactions: bamatide13
Pisgah gets what they want because they demand it.. and basically run Haywood county schools. They open up spots to hire the people they want and get rid of dead weight.. because central office lets them. They get to bend the “rules” prime example.. for years and years it was a big no no for an administrator to coach a sport.. such as basketball hypothetically speaking.. but as soon as Pisgah wants to do it.. it’s “okay we’ll allow it but for onely one year.. okay maybe two.. or whatever you bears prefer” if Tuscola would have tried to do that central office would have said ABSOLUTELY NOT.. you guys know the rules.

Reactions: BlueVols
I can say with confidence that Coach Chris Brookshire will not be named the coach. He removed his name. He loves it at Smokey. He loves those kids. He has great support from the community and administration out there at Smokey. They've been very good to him and he wants to be the same for them. I know I mentioned him several times as a possible hire but I was told that he removed his name. Hope Tuscola finds the right guy. Who knows it could be Coach Postnell.

Pisgah gets what they want because they demand it.. and basically run Haywood county schools. They open up spots to hire the people they want and get rid of dead weight.. because central office lets them. They get to bend the “rules” prime example.. for years and years it was a big no no for an administrator to coach a sport.. such as basketball hypothetically speaking.. but as soon as Pisgah wants to do it.. it’s “okay we’ll allow it but for onely one year.. okay maybe two.. or whatever you bears prefer” if Tuscola would have tried to do that central office would have said ABSOLUTELY NOT.. you guys know the rules.

100% correct, and it happens just because it is more important to them and it is a priority. You can't hate them for getting it done. They are like honey badgers.

I can say with confidence that Coach Chris Brookshire will not be named the coach. He removed his name. He loves it at Smokey. He loves those kids. He has great support from the community and administration out there at Smokey. They've been very good to him and he wants to be the same for them. I know I mentioned him several times as a possible hire but I was told that he removed his name. Hope Tuscola finds the right guy. Who knows it could be Coach Postnell.

Whomever they hire, better win and better beat Pissgah. Good luck making these Tuscola fans happy new coach.

Whine on....whine on...

Reactions: PBBear51
If you call a half full visitors side at Franklin For a playoff game great support or a half full home side the week before great support then yep he's got it...he's donea good job and w his schedule will be able to stay around .500 w out beating Franklin Pisgah or tuscola much more than 1 outta 10 times..he's great w kids not denying that but need we forget he's 29-51 ...I think he took his name out because he wasn't getting hired anyway...Pisgah runs Haywood county ...tuscola is a dumpster fire

Sooooo.... who is the new coach? I may have missed it, but it seemed like there was a lot of speculation and then without an announcement that I’ve seen, there’s been a shift to regretting who has been hired.

Sooooo.... who is the new coach? I may have missed it, but it seemed like there was a lot of speculation and then without an announcement that I’ve seen, there’s been a shift to regretting who has been hired.

There has not been an announcement. Going before the school board Monday evening, then it will be official. Hiring from within.

The technical Appalachian American term is..and I quote.."School girlious whinious maximus" :D:p

The Pissgah Head Varsity Football coach called a timeout in a JV game where they were winning by a bunch against SM. He complained that we, SM, were doing onside kicks when we scored to try and get back in the game. They were still up by 3 TD's. He said he would put his starters back in. We told him to do what you gotta do. We play til the final whistle, win or lose. Not going to teach our kids to give up when they are down. Nuff said about him. This was 3 years ago and I do not coach at SM anymore. FWIW

You know it’s the truth haha how about you tell your coach to quit whining to the paper every chance he gets
There'll be no more whining to the paper. Que told 'em to knock it off or the state might just have to conduct a much more intensive investigation into all the transferrin' and Photoshoppin' going on at the Drainage Ditch Between The Concrete or the Railroad Yard Rats or WTH they dub themselves these days.

Reactions: WaynesVegas
There'll be no more whining to the paper. Que told 'em to knock it off or the state might just have to conduct a much more intensive investigation into all the transferrin' and Photoshoppin' going on at the Drainage Ditch Between The Concrete or the Railroad Yard Rats or WTH they dub themselves these days.
I think they dub themselves as the “County Champs for 5 years straight”, I could be wrong though.

It is a hard thing to remember for some as they seem to forget. Tuscola, as ALL public schools, exist to EDUCATE their students, not emulate college sports programs. It doesnt matter "which coach is the best fit" for their school in any particular sport. Somebody said athletics is the "front porch" of the school. This may be true in COLLEGE athletics where they are trying to get students to come to their particular institution, but in high school....Not nearly so much. The sad fact is I have known principals and administrators throughout the years that have told me to my face of their desire to eliminate the distractions of sports programs, and even music/art programs at their schools altogether if they had their way. As costs go up and revenue goes down, they just might get their wish...Who knows?

It is a hard thing to remember for some as they seem to forget. Tuscola, as ALL public schools, exist to EDUCATE their students, not emulate college sports programs. It doesnt matter "which coach is the best fit" for their school in any particular sport. Somebody said athletics is the "front porch" of the school. This may be true in COLLEGE athletics where they are trying to get students to come to their particular institution, but in high school....Not nearly so much. The sad fact is I have known principals and administrators throughout the years that have told me to my face of their desire to eliminate the distractions of sports programs, and even music/art programs at their schools altogether if they had their way. As costs go up and revenue goes down, they just might get their wish...Who knows?

And that is a really bad thought. Athletics and the arts keeps a lot of kids in school and out of trouble. Sounds like you have been speaking to an uniformed principal that doesn't truly value a well rounded education for all. I wish we would bring back the great technical programs there used to be in NC. When I began teaching, we had drafting, automotive repair, woodworking, electrical and plumbing trade class. Those were great for kids who wanted to get a job after HS and not go to a 4 year college. Sad situation we have here when administration doesn't value these other activities. Football is the flag ship program at most schools and funds most of the other sports. It sets the school year with excitement and school spirit. I hope we learn to value sports like they do in our neighboring states. It's good for kids and their community.

Sounds like you have been speaking to an uniformed principal that doesn't truly value a well rounded education for all. Not just ONE, several. They do not feel throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars into sports is part of a "well rounded" education, when students have to share textbooks in some cases, and other basic needs go unmet. Contrary to popular belief, most (if not all) athletic departments are not self sufficient financially speaking when all associated costs are taken into account. Not saying they are wrong or right, but they DO have a point at some level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT