ADVERTISEMENT

Who's it going to be at BIG T?????

One local name that I would throw out there and I think he would do a good job is former Tuscola player, assistant coach, and current Smokey Mountain head coach Chris Brookshire. His personality is contagious and kids will run through a wall for the man. He's a great coach and more importantly a great human being. He knows how important the rivalry is with Pisgah also. You can't argue his success at Smokey. Imagine how could he could do with the athletes at Tuscola. Just my opinion.

Brookshire is a great coach and man! He would do very well there if they let him do his thing. I will say, Tuscola hasn't had a QB like Smoky has the past two years to run his offense. That's why the HOF coach they just had retire, was good with his offense there. It fit his players. Do they have a QB that can run the RPO game and throw accurately? That;s the question.

Last edited:
I don't know Chris Brookshire but what I hear about him is he is an excellent guy, but didn't anyone learn anything the last time you hired a coach with a losing record.Chris Brookshire is 29-50 as a head coach. He didn't even win at Erwin. Nothing personal, but no, I would pass. This is Tuscola, not Enka.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: esah2212
RR there are things you don't know about Erwin when he was there. It wasn't the machine it is now. When Brookshire got to Erwin they hadn't won a JV game in 3 yrs. 0-30 when he got there. Not to mention the all american qb J. Crompton had left and transferred to Tuscola. Before Chris left for a head job in Virginia the JV teams were having winning records and the varsity had won 5 or 6 games per yr and making the playoffs. So be careful about throwing records out there when you don't know the whole story. You could even argue that some of the success Erwin had when Sexton took over was due to Brookshire turning it around before Sexton got there.

Reactions: Steelers71
They need to hire someone quick so they can get these young men in the weight room!
It isn't like they sit around waiting for somebody to be hired. They are already registered for spring semester weight classes and the asst. coaches that teach it are in place.

Somewhere in a Citizen-Times article from a few years back, an interview with Sexton basically admits that Brookshire laid the groundwork at Erwin for the success he had there.

I'll throw a name out there - Jay Brooks, Franklin DC. Does he want to continue working in Josh's shadow or is he ambitious enough to strike out on his own? He grew up next door in Sylva, is a heckuva defensive coach, and doesn't care much for Chappell at that school down the road. That ought to make the "Gotta Beat The Bears/It Ain't Just Another Game" crowd ecstatic.

Reactions: esah2212
Brookshire is a great coach and man! He would do very well there if they let him do his thing. I will say, Tuscola hasn't had a WB like Smoky has the past two years to run his offense. That's why the HOF coach they just had retire, was good with his offense there. It fit his players. Do they have a QB that can run the RPO game and throw accurately? That;s the question.
I assume you mean "QB". Hunter Bryson or Brandon Cullins. Bryson, son of S-W QB- the late Brian Bryson, would have the better arm, Cullins, son of THS RB/LB Mark Cullins, the better wheels.

Jay Brooks is the O-line coach at Franklin. Tim Hawkins is the DC. Carry on.

Last edited:
I assume you mean "QB". Hunter Bryson or Brandon Cullins. Bryson, son of S-W QB- the late Brian Bryson, would have the better arm, Cullins, son of THS RB/LB Mark Cullins, the better wheels.

Oops, I did mean QB. I coached with Bryson many years ago, I'll be his son is a great kid. Coach Brookshire does a good job teaching his offense and if he has a solid DC, should be better. Or tougher shall I say. IMO defense and the OL/DL is where the toughness of a team is developed and shown. Just look at my Steelers. Defense was soft this past weekend, so we are at home now. And I don't see Jay Brooks leaving but isn't he related to the former Coach Brooks at Tuscola?

Oops, I did mean QB. I coached with Bryson many years ago, I'll be his son is a great kid. Coach Brookshire does a good job teaching his offense and if he has a solid DC, should be better. Or tougher shall I say. IMO defense and the OL/DL is where the toughness of a team is developed and shown. Just look at my Steelers. Defense was soft this past weekend, so we are at home now. And I don't see Jay Brooks leaving but isn't he related to the former Coach Brooks at Tuscola?
They are both from Jackson Co. but if they are related, it may be cousins of some type.

Ah. I though Coach Lionel Brooks was related to Doug Brooks. He's a good man too. Tuscola has to do some job creating to hire a new coach. Gotta give whomever they hire some help. Can't do it alone.

I'm sure they'll have a bunch of good candidates. It's a great job, for the mountains. But, for them to land a good coach and staff, they will have to come up with some teaching jobs.

I'm hearing a different name. Even heard of a petition going around. the name I heard sounds good to me.

Postell has a lot of support for the job. I don't know if that is good or bad as he has never been a varsity head coach. If I HAD to choose between he or Brookshire, then I would choose Postell. We know what we are getting with Brookshire, and that is a coach with a fairly long history that is going to be 7-5 in his best year. There will be far more qualified candidates than these two; the question is will this be an inside job like the Allen hire was. My guess is our school board will take the path of least resistance and hire within and use the "teaching position" situation to justify it. We have a good principal and AD, but will they be allowed to do their jobs or will they be told who the next coach will be?

Reactions: WNCfballFan
Since the Administration wanted to delete my other post in another thread I will try to give you the gist of it. Tuscola needs to hire as far as they possibly can outside the program. Neither Haywood County job is a place for a bunch of rookie coaches to learn. They need a home run hire like Pursley and Donnie Kiefer. Someone who has it worked out already prior to arrival and are not interested in playing "mommy and daddy' ball. You would think anyone with any intelligence could remember what happened the last time you 'settled' for a coach and worked out one of those Anne Garrett/Dale McDonald inside deals. The current Administration at Tuscola did a fine job hiring the last Coach, they should not compromise or fold to 'Mommy and Daddy' pressure. They need a Coach with Championship experience and a great record to take marginal athletes and make them maximize their potential. Petitions are for people who want the easy way out and achieve the comfort hire. I would also be against hiring a coach of a certain school Southwest of you whose record is 29-54 simply because he is an alumnus. I am so sick of people saying give them a chance, Enka and North Buncombe are for chances, not Tuscola or Pisgah. If they apply, hire a proven winner with a championship pedigree. You guys need to quit worrying about those knuckleheads in Canton. Pisgah is a throwaway game in the big picture. They live for it because it is all they have, Waynesville has changed. You need to figure out a way to beat Asheville, Reynolds, and Erwin. This means you will have to actually play defense again and run an offense comparable to your talent. See the last four year's offense or Franklin's offense. You are not going to beat somebody running the spread with no athletes or without a stud QB in the MAC. I have yet to figure out why everyone in Haywood County loses their minds when someone is hired "who is not from around here." That is stupid 1970's thinking. Joe Caldwell, Doug Brooks, Donnie Kiefer and Tommy Pursley, were not from Haywood County either and they were the best coaches you ever had. This should be the easiest hire ever. Hire someone with Kiefer's pedigree with Pursley's professionalism and processes, or you can hire the guy who will kiss your son's rear and learn on the job and be 5-6 every year. It baffles me you would settle for anything less than the best quality hire.

I think the "petition" is coming from the players. They wanted Postell the last time before Pursley was hired for the job. Kids want what they know. I've got no problem with that. I've got no problem with him either and if a teaching position is going to be a problem, then that is the logical decision to make. It is true that he has never been a head coach and that would be a reason for concern. The principal played the Pursley hire close to the vest the last time, no search committee. He did rely on some former coaches for advice and that played out pretty well the last time.
It's just wait and see mode now.

One of the complaints coming from the parents that griped about Pursley was he was retired so he wasn't there all day "for the kids". IMO, if they were strong enough parents, that really should not have been an issue. I don't think the administration can go that route again so we won't see another retired coach coming out for the job.

Nobody they hire is going to run Oklahoma every day in practice. Pursley ran tight, crisp practices, on a clock, with lots of teaching. To me, he ran practice like a college program.

Reactions: WNCfballFan
There are two more Bryson boys on the way. The one at the middle school was one of their top players.

I think it is important to have the majority of your coaches in the school as teachers. It helps with recruiting the halls, forging relationships with teachers and parents, checking up on kids behavior/grades, etc. The thing that boggles the mind is you have had two of the best coaches in NC with Keifer and Pursley. And the fan base wasn't happy with them. Why wouldn't you support a home grown coach who actually cares about Tuscola? And will run the program the right way? If you have the athletes you all say, you should be happy with any new coach.

A nice incentive for the new hire would be 1/2 of the cash from the big 50/50 at end of season!

Does tuscola have any talent coming up? You can hire Nick Saban but if you don't have the horses, what difference does it make? People goo goo gaga over keifer but he had a once in a generation big D1 quarterback making everybody look like all state players

Tuscola has talent but not on the ACR or Erwin level. I would compare them with Franklin currently.They definitely have a talent edge overall on Pisgah right now.

Whoever the administration picks it’s not gonna make a difference if they are not defensive minded. The current crew has shown they have no ability to run a defense. People talk about pursleys offense but the defense regressed every year. To the point it was non-existent the last few games. (Just the facts) #1 option had no defense at Smokey and #3 option is on staff so that speaks for itself . Tuscola hasn’t beaten a good team in a few years and they have had the talent to do it. A defensive coach is paramount to be the next inline at Tuscola. Jmo

I don’t see why that is funny-from a talent standpoint they have a edge, it’s not a knock on Pisgah.

I don’t see why that is funny-from a talent standpoint they have a edge, it’s not a knock on Pisgah.
Pisgah currently has a tight end ,punter over six feet that will be highly recruted by several division one schools next year.Have a sophomore QB that will be one of the top QB in WNC next year.Another senior QB that threw for over two thousand yards as a starter two years ago and ran for over a thousand yards last two years.A JV team that won the conference last year.
So yeah I thought your post was really funny.Maybe when you had Compton or the other QB that went on to play Baseball but now you guys are not even close.Think the last five years proved that.

Reactions: PBBear51
A D1 TE is going to run 6'4 or better in length. "Over 6 foot" better be quite a bit over. The last D1 TE recruit in this area was Tyler Sexton at EH, now at WCU. There isn't a Bear on your roster that approaches that level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT