ADVERTISEMENT

Who's it going to be at BIG T?????

I think they dub themselves as the “County Champs for 5 years straight”, I could be wrong though.
It's all good... we'll ask Bluevols face to face next fall and see if he calls out names then...

Last edited:
Reactions: PBBear51
Sounds like you have been speaking to an uniformed principal that doesn't truly value a well rounded education for all. Not just ONE, several. They do not feel throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars into sports is part of a "well rounded" education, when students have to share textbooks in some cases, and other basic needs go unmet. Contrary to popular belief, most (if not all) athletic departments are not self sufficient financially speaking when all associated costs are taken into account. Not saying they are wrong or right, but they DO have a point at some level.

That's sad. Administration does make or break an athletic department by how their values. I get the textbook deal. We had to keep books in the room at SM and they were at least 10 years old.

It's all good... we'll ask Bluevols face to face next fall and see if he calls out names then...
"Calling out" since 1973, give or take. It really got fun in '78, I believe the number finally stopped at 10?

Welp Postell it is, hopefully now he’ll put the right people in the places they need to be in to be successful. Now all we can do is wait and see what transpires.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Since it appears that Tuscola has more fans supporting Franklin football games than their own, why don't y'all merge with them, you could change your mascot to the Mountain Panther and you MIGHT just stand a chance of beating us...
Just an idea.
That could be true, but you know Franklin pays the refs

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Since it appears that Tuscola has more fans supporting Franklin football games than their own, why don't y'all merge with them, you could change your mascot to the Mountain Panther and you MIGHT just stand a chance of beating us...
Just an idea.
Yal just now took the series lead for the 1st time since 1984. Congratulations.. you’ve stopped an offense with 4 plays and 2 single man route pass plays. Oh and 2 out of the last 3 were in overtime. Don’t act like yal have “whooped” anybody. And nah we don’t have have to merge with franklin.. they beat you guys all by themselves.. twice.. with 2 Pisgah football refs in yals corner

Reactions: BlueVols
Correct me if I'm wrong and I have no dog in the fight but didn't two yrs ago the Tuscola jv team whipped Pisgah jv and stopped that winning streak? So that same team can't do it again? I think it will be a battle.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I have no dog in the fight but didn't two yrs ago the Tuscola jv team whipped Pisgah jv and stopped that winning streak? So that same team can't do it again? I think it will be a battle.
They beat our jv the last two years.But that want help them .It's an all different game when it comes to varsity.

Yal just now took the series lead for the 1st time since 1984. Congratulations.. you’ve stopped an offense with 4 plays and 2 single man route pass plays. Oh and 2 out of the last 3 were in overtime. Don’t act like yal have “whooped” anybody. And nah we don’t have have to merge with franklin.. they beat you guys all by themselves.. twice.. with 2 Pisgah football refs in yals corner

Brett is the first Pisgah coach to win five in a row he's also the only Pisgah coach to beat Tuscola five times.That includes a lot of pretty good coaches at Pisgah. Yes he will make it six in a row.

Brett has been able to enjoy a level playing field when it comes to enrollment numbers at Pisgah and Tuscola. That is a big reason hes won his 5 in row and is the main reason the overall series lead has swung so decisively back in Pisgah's favor. Tuscola made hay when they had a 300+ student advantage. Now that is gone and Pisgah is once again dominating the rivalry. Funny how that works.

Brett is great and I hope he stays a good long time at Pisagh, but all things being equal I'll take those blue collar milltown kids over the country club set that dwells in west Haywood no matter who is coaching the football teams.

That’s a good talking point but I suspect if you actually look at the demographics of both schools there is not as much difference as far as blue collar vs country club.

Reactions: WaynesVegas
The is a good talking point but I suspect if you actually look at the demographics of both schools there is not as much difference as far as blue collar vs country club.
Now don't start bringing facts into this! LOL! You know Pisgah is only inhabited by local folks with dreams from the seventies.Just ask em.:D

Now don't start bringing facts into this! LOL! You know Pisgah is only inhabited by local folks with dreams from the seventies.Just ask em.:D

Yeah, we like to talk about the seventies and three state championships.You guys want to talk about the eighties when you could beat Pisgah.

Reactions: PBBear51
In my best Jeremy wade voice.................Fish on!!!!!! lol

I agree jv and varsity are different. They're way different. However it will be a battle. Taking the Mounties.

Brett has been able to enjoy a level playing field when it comes to enrollment numbers at Pisgah and Tuscola. That is a big reason hes won his 5 in row and is the main reason the overall series lead has swung so decisively back in Pisgah's favor. Tuscola made hay when they had a 300+ student advantage. Now that is gone and Pisgah is once again dominating the rivalry. Funny how that works.

Brett is great and I hope he stays a good long time at Pisagh, but all things being equal I'll take those blue collar milltown kids over the country club set that dwells in west Haywood no matter who is coaching the football teams.
This is so hilarious that you guys still do this blue collar vs. white collar crap haha the majority of Tuscola’s football players come from broken homes with half the kids living with grandmothers and uncles and stuff of that nature. It’s a slap in the face to those boys that you think they were born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Go ask how many of Tuscola’s boys have ever even been to a country club their whole life. Most the kids I guarantee are having to chip in on half the rent in their homes. I’ve chipped in on a lot of pregame meals and get to hear back stories on a lot of the kids

This is so hilarious that you guys still do this blue collar vs. white collar crap haha the majority of Tuscola’s football players come from broken homes with half the kids living with grandmothers and uncles and stuff of that nature. It’s a slap in the face to those boys that you think they were born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Go ask how many of Tuscola’s boys have ever even been to a country club their whole life. Most the kids I guarantee are having to chip in on half the rent in their homes. I’ve chipped in on a lot of pregame meals and get to hear back stories on a lot of the kids

I got news for you over 50% of all kids live in broken homes with one parent or Grandparents and relatives.Most of us natives have never been to a country club Both schools chip in to help kids who need help .It's been that way at Pisgah for years.
I think the big things about those white collar folks that move to the Tuscola district is they are not and do not support Tuscola athletics and could care less about the rivalry.Saw that with your previous coach.

It’s nice over here in Silicon Valley. Still not seeing all those white collar jobs over here. You are right about the last coach, although I don’t see what that has to do with the white collar/blue collar argument. He definitely did not value the rivalry or do anything to involve the community. I think our new coach will change that.

I got news for you over 50% of all kids live in broken homes with one parent or Grandparents and relatives.Most of us natives have never been to a country club Both schools chip in to help kids who need help .It's been that way at Pisgah for years.
I think the big things about those white collar folks that move to the Tuscola district is they are not and do not support Tuscola athletics and could care less about the rivalry.Saw that with your previous coach.
News for me?? If you’re so enlightened with the percentages and demographics.. then you should have kept your “I’ll take our blue collar milltown kids over yal’s country club dwelling kids” statement to yourself. Most of the THS players are dirt poor so your comment is clearly just another attempt to pat yourselves on the back acting like your side of town is the only ones who work hard for a living and has it tough.. freaking spare me

I'm sure both school's kids have their rich, their poor, their middle class, their hungry. The basic difference is East Haywood/Canton is more involved in their community and the paper mill is the center of it all. If we still had Dayco and some of the other industries that shut down, things might not seem as disparate. The Town of Waynesville deciding to sacrifice jobs at the altar of tourism is a decisive blow.

Add in, quite frankly, a group of parents that have no interest in the school beyond the sport their child plays, and even some of them do nothing. The fanbase is disinterested or uniformed; our new newspaper really lacks in coverage, our radio station merely simulcasts WWNC, the Asheville paper barely reports on Buncombe Co. sports now- there isn't a lot of info going out. Additionally, I've found the Tuscola administration to be insular and timid at times over the last 15 years. You hear a lot of "the Central office won't approve that", which 1) shows the personality of the individuals chosen to lead the school, and 2) the continued dominance of the county educational system by the eastern end.

Those who attack Coach Pursley leave out some vital counterpoints in their argument. He won a shared conference championship, which had not happened in 8 years. He took a program who's prior coach had roughly 35 boys participating to the past two years of numbers in the 90's. Those number had not been as high since the 1980's, in a school that is actually smaller than Pisgah. The prior coach actually wanted to shut down the JV's in 2012. The team we saw in 2016 would not have had half those kids had that been allowed to happen.

I'm sure both school's kids have their rich, their poor, their middle class, their hungry. The basic difference is East Haywood/Canton is more involved in their community and the paper mill is the center of it all. If we still had Dayco and some of the other industries that shut down, things might not seem as disparate. The Town of Waynesville deciding to sacrifice jobs at the altar of tourism is a decisive blow.

Add in, quite frankly, a group of parents that have no interest in the school beyond the sport their child plays, and even some of them do nothing. The fanbase is disinterested or uniformed; our new newspaper really lacks in coverage, our radio station merely simulcasts WWNC, the Asheville paper barely reports on Buncombe Co. sports now- there isn't a lot of info going out. Additionally, I've found the Tuscola administration to be insular and timid at times over the last 15 years. You hear a lot of "the Central office won't approve that", which 1) shows the personality of the individuals chosen to lead the school, and 2) the continued dominance of the county educational system by the eastern end.

Those who attack Coach Pursley leave out some vital counterpoints in their argument. He won a shared conference championship, which had not happened in 8 years. He took a program who's prior coach had roughly 35 boys participating to the past two years of numbers in the 90's. Those number had not been as high since the 1980's, in a school that is actually smaller than Pisgah. The prior coach actually wanted to shut down the JV's in 2012. The team we saw in 2016 would not have had half those kids had that been allowed to happen.

Winner, winner chicken dinner. Pursley didn't play Daddy ball either and Waynesville is the king of it. Notice in Canton, the old guard is still involved, and they take any and all help while welcoming everyone who would like to help. Waynesville decided to run the long time supporters out of the program and replace it with people who will leave as soon as little Johnny or Jane graduates. Big difference.

Yeah, we like to talk about the seventies and three state championships.You guys want to talk about the eighties when you could beat Pisgah.
Pisgah has never won a state championship in football, those championships your talking about are western championships

No, those were state championships, look it up, I am by no means a Pisgah fan, but it's not hard to look up something.

Pisgah has never won a state championship in football, those championships your talking about are western championships

The NCHSAA playoff system was instituted in the mid-late 50's, but not all classes got a state final at the same time. Canton did win a true AA state final in 1956 over Washington HS.

Waynesville won a AAA Western region "state" championship in 1964 over Chapel Hill, which is as far as they could go that year. In 1966, Pisgah, in its first season, won the NCHSAA region 2 (western) AAA championship over Graham HS. Strange how AA could have a true state final but AAA couldn't at that point. I think they straightened it out around 1968 or 1969 for all classes.

The NCHSAA used to have all those up on their webpage but they've either pulled it or fooled around with it to the point you can't find it now.

The NCHSAA playoff system was instituted in the mid-late 50's, but not all classes got a state final at the same time. Canton did win a true AA state final in 1956 over Washington HS.

Waynesville won a AAA Western region "state" championship in 1964 over Chapel Hill, which is as far as they could go that year. In 1966, Pisgah, in its first season, won the NCHSAA region 2 (western) AAA championship over Graham HS. Strange how AA could have a true state final but AAA couldn't at that point. I think they straightened it out around 1968 or 1969 for all classes.

The NCHSAA used to have all those up on their webpage but they've either pulled it or fooled around with it to the point you can't find it now.

http://www.carolinagridiron.com/2010/08/nchsaa-champs.html

Reactions: bamatide13

Pisgah has won 4 total championships if I remember: 1966 western championship beat Graham I I THINK 16-0 Boyd Allen 1972 Western Championship beat Western Alamance (or one of the Alamances) 48-0 Joe Compton was head coach then. 1975 Beat Havelock 35-24 at Havelock and 1976 beat Clinton 28-12 in Canton for the two state championships. Danny Shook was the head coach in those two championships.

Pisgah has won 4 total championships if I remember: 1966 western championship beat Graham I I THINK 16-0 Boyd Allen 1972 Western Championship beat Western Alamance (or one of the Alamances) 48-0 Joe Compton was head coach then. 1975 Beat Havelock 35-24 at Havelock and 1976 beat Clinton 28-12 in Canton for the two state championships. Danny Shook was the head coach in those two championships.
LONG TIME AGO LOL

OK, so they named JT Postell the new coach and the thread kind of petered out with no real comments on the hire. I'm just wondering what the mood of the room is with the hire and if the new guy has the support of the community, because there was 6 pages of build up that just stopped as soon as the hiring was announced (well, it didn't stop as much as just turn into a Pisgah vs Tuscola peeing match).

Pretty simple...the new guy needs to beat pisgah...come as close as possible to winning conference only to lose to ACR every year...and win at least one playoff game.

Yes he has support. A great person who is invested in the community and hopefully will be successful and be around for a long time.
The coaching carousel every couple of years isn't a good way to sustain a good program IMO.I look forward to helping where I can as i have for the past several years.Which is something the rest of the community should entertain.One person cant do it all. He will need help and comm. support.Something that has been lacking on our end of the county for some time.

According to the link above, Pisgah won in 71 not 72. Tuscola tied for the championship in 72.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT