ADVERTISEMENT

Swain coach resigns

Sounds like he felt he just wasn't getting it done.

I don't know how any coach balances being AD and a head football coach anyway.

It’s tough with all the paperwork requirements now. That is why most larger counties do not allow you to coach and be AD.

Well Last time this job didn’t seem draw BIG interest or the “Right guy” that swain wanted so that’s why he stay on so Will this job attracted more coaches this time around and if so hopefully they can find the next HC

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Swain should try to talk Coach Gentry out of retirement ! We could see what kind of coach he is with about 250 less students to work with. Hahaha. Just a poor attempt at humor. Seriously, Swain will be a tough hire . The next coach will need to win and win fast . I don’t think the next coach will have 3 or 4 years to build his program or get the staff he wants in place. He will have very nice facilities and a great fan base but at the end of the day he’s got to win. I think a big name hire will be tough and a young or new coach will need the years I talked about earlier. I don’t know anything about their program and if some of the Swain faithful can shed some light please do. It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out.

Swain has been running the Veer since Boyce Deitz won his 5 State Championships. Even with Shuler at QB. Ain't nothing going to change there with the offense.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Swain has been running the Veer since Boyce Deitz won his 5 State Championships. Even with Shuler at QB. Ain't nothing going to change there with the offense.
Yeah, I am fully aware of when Boyce took over the program. I played ball for Swain way back then. I was lucky enough to see how a man has changed Swain Football first hand but only For two years. Never forget when the pads went on during 3 A days.after the first one was over we went from close to fifty players down to less than forty. Fun day.that was....

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Yes but they will have zero titles

Cherokee county fudgers

Their helmets will have the number 800 on one side crossed out and the other side 600. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
It's been over a month. When are they going to hire someone? This used to be a great program.

Rumor mill leans to Mr Watson, heard more but why state something that I don't know is factual.
You have to be joking?? An individual with hardly any coaching background, not in the school system, and I’d dare say doesn’t have a bachelors degree. You lose all credibility.

You have to be joking?? An individual with hardly any coaching background, not in the school system, and I’d dare say doesn’t have a bachelors degree. You lose all credibility.
Speaking of losing credibility, I told everyone on this board yrs ago what was going to happen to Swain football. And I was about spot on. Now I said," the rumor mill" for a reason. No reason to start acting out at my expense. Be blessed and have a great day.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Speaking of losing credibility, I told everyone on this board yrs ago what was going to happen to Swain football. And I was about spot on. Now I said," the rumor mill" for a reason. No reason to start acting out at my expense. Be blessed and have a great day.
So by saying “rumor mill” you’re allowed to put garbage on here? My bet is your rumor mill doesn’t even get an interview. You are part of the problem for swain county. Fair weathered

Too whom did I disrespect to call out a man as garbage? As far weather fan goes, yes you must be corrected. Up to the point when I saw where our once powerful program start to crack, I was at every game. Driving from Goldsboro to Spivey Corner and even the Clinton game, how ever since I don't drive anymore I gather I have become a maroon devil Network fan. By the way some of my blood once stained Old football field and before we had real grass on Boyce Dietz field. So you must be correct. Now be blessed today.

Now the preference should always be a faculty member especially in football. It makes a huge difference when the football coach is walking through the hallways especially in schools with discipline problems.

But as said, faculty is always not possible and it's better to have a community member doing lets say track than an english teacher just doing it because they were asked or to draw a check.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinFromSwain
The way education is going in NC, you'll have people with a HS GED teaching to fill spots. Anyway, Swain was and has been a consistent winning program in WNC. As most teams they struggle when they have to play more diverse programs in the finals. Such as Tarbor, WRH, CLinton, etc. But, they have great facilities and great tradition, should be able to get a good coach there. Teaching position is the biggest hurdle.

Reactions: KevinFromSwain
There are places in the state where community coaches are a must, but IMO the Head Football Coach Cannot be a Community guy, He has to be in the building with those players everyday. It is a little different than being the baseball coach, Football now requires a 365 day commitment to win consistently. With as good as this program has been Swain should have their pick for head coaches, What is going on in Bryson City?

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Technically, a varsity coach doesn't have to be a teacher. The policy basically states that preference should be given to a "faculty" member (could be the custodian or lunch lady) and that if that option is not available schools have the ability to hire outside the school. The policy leaves the door open for autonomy in that aspect. The requirement is generally one put in place by local school boards and administrators. If it were a set in stone rule then it would absolutely be a ridiculous concept altogether for the most part, as there are many men and women who are extremely dedicated to their communities and programs that might be qualified to coach. Especially in small communities as Thunderstruck said
I haven’t seen a policy regarding requirement. But if it uses the word faculty, that doesn’t include a custodian or lunch lady. They’re staff or employees, but not faculty.

Good catch. The policy - which is basically the Middle-Junior-High School athletic manual says verbatim,

"The local superintendent may, with the concurrence of the local board of education, designate non-faculty persons as head coach until such a time as a suitable bona fide faculty member becomes available."

I had never thought about the distinction between staff and faculty so I learned something today

That only applies to middle school and junior high schools......

It is from the DPI. The DPI only has jurisdiction on middle and junior high schools.

Anything high school related comes from the NCHSAA. Of course LEAs can make their own guidance for coaches as many do.

You can hire a person to be a coach then they technically become staff. It’s splitting hairs. Mitchell hired a men’s basketball coach and a good one that taught one block of remedial math English study hall. He had a two year degree

Reactions: CatDad312
Was informed they offered the position to an out of state coach with ties to the SMC. My understanding is that the numbers aren’t right. I’m being told that the housing in the area is very expensive and may be a limiting factor attracting outside talent.

Yes but they will have zero titles

Cherokee county fudgers

Their helmets will have the number 800 on one side crossed out and the other side 600. 😂
When that day comes, will Robbinsville count the Andrews students that they will surely receive in their enrollment? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: therealsquid
Was informed they offered the position to an out of state coach with ties to the SMC. My understanding is that the numbers aren’t right. I’m being told that the housing in the area is very expensive and may be a limiting factor attracting outside talent.
People are selling stuff under 1000 sq ft on Cherokee Co. side of the gorge for what you could have bought a 3BR family home for 5 years ago. I’m sure it’s even more expensive in Bryson City.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT