ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby 2a dominance

goldenlions04

Oct 18, 2019
Per my count Shelby is closing in on their 6th state championship in 7 years. I believe Shelby has lost 2-3 times to a 2a school in that entire period. Does anyone know of similar dominance in lets say 3a or 4a in NC history?

Regardless of the class, this is definitely an accomplishment.

not a hater at all really couldnt care less. as far as WRH goes unfortuntly they will most likely go back down to 1aa next realignment is what i am hearing.

to Add WRH was already one of the smallest 2a schools to begin with.

Shelby is the GOLD STANDARD (;)) in high school football especially in 2A football. I know... I know Reidsville has a outstanding program also but I’m more familiar with Shelby. It’s truly something for the community and school to be very very proud of.

Shelby is 2aa .Reidsville is 2a .on average Shelby will have at least 175 more students .Both of these coumunites bred football players like we make moonshine . I think most years Shelby is better , but if Reidsville had an extra 175 students you know they would be right there with Shelby ever year. If Shelby had 300 more students they would probably win the 3a championship 75%of the time. But if you ask me Robbinsville with 350 students is pound for pound the best football team in the state. I know some of you Shelby posters don't think much of Robbinsville by the comments I read in last week's thread on Smoky Mountain vs South Point some though South Point would blow Smoky Mountain out because Robbinsville had beat Smoky Mountain , but Robbinsville had been winning football games for s long time. I don't pull for them , but you have to respect the success they have with that few students.

Reactions: Mopar forever
Shelby is 2aa .Reidsville is 2a .on average Shelby will have at least 175 more students .Both of these coumunites bred football players like we make moonshine . I think most years Shelby is better , but if Reidsville had an extra 175 students you know they would be right there with Shelby ever year. If Shelby had 300 more students they would probably win the 3a championship 75%of the time. But if you ask me Robbinsville with 350 students is pound for pound the best football team in the state. I know some of you Shelby posters don't think much of Robbinsville by the comments I read in last week's thread on Smoky Mountain vs South Point some though South Point would blow Smoky Mountain out because Robbinsville had beat Smoky Mountain , but Robbinsville had been winning football games for s long time. I don't pull for them , but you have to respect the success they have with that few students.

Ugghh another one of these dustmite chest beaters

2018 and 2019 I saw both Shelby and Robbinsville play live. Shelby would absolutely dominate that matchup.

Shelby can compete for a 3a state championship right now. They beat the number 1 seed crest 51-14. Of course Kings Mountain beat Shelby, but I'm betting the Shelby guys would love a rematch.

Shelby doesn't on average have 175 more students then Reidsville. I'd say about 100 more on avg and I could see Reidsville students going up a little, I don't see another decline in Reidsville students. 10 years ago Reidsville was almost inching towards 3a.

Shelby can compete for a 3a state championship right now. They beat the number 1 seed crest 51-14. Of course Kings Mountain beat Shelby, but I'm betting the Shelby guys would love a rematch.

Shelby doesn't on average have 175 more students then Reidsville. I'd say about 100 more on avg and I could see Reidsville students going up a little, I don't see another decline in Reidsville students. 10 years ago Reidsville was almost inching towards 3a.

Based on matchups I doubt they would beat Hunter Huss or KM or Weddington right now.

Reactions: beamer24
It is always surprising how short memories are and how short termed “dominance” is celebrated.
Yes, Shelby is in a position to win its 6th State Championship in the last seven years.
One was quick to rightfully mention Independence as dominant in 4A in the 2000s with 7 straight State Championships. Shelby, with a late loss to eventual State Champ Hibriten in 2017 in the Western Finals, may come that close to matching Indy’s feat.
Most agreed at the time that the Independence streak would never again be approached.
Shelby almost got it.
Just one decade later.

But that doesn’t tell even half the story.
While Indy was winning its only State Championships, none before, none since,
Shelby in 04-07 went to 4 straight State Championship Games, winning in 05 and 06.

While Richmond County was dominating 4A State Championships in the 90’s,
Shelby went to 2 State Championships. Runnerup in 97. Won in 98.

Robbinsville had an incredible 1A run of State Championships in the 80’s.
Shelby won the State Championships in 3A in 86 and 87. Runnerup in 88.

And from 68 to 76.
Shelby went to 7 State Championship in 3A games in nine years.
Won 4 State Championships, was Co-champs once, and Runnerup twice.

15 State Championships in 21 State Championship Game appearances in the last 50 years.
State Champions 30% of the years of the 50 year era.
In 42% of the State Championship games during same 50 year period.
7 Titles as 3A.
8 Titles as 2A.
Played and defeated 3 of the largest 4A schools in the State......as a 2A school.
In the five year period from 93 to 97, played and defeated the 94 and 96 unified 4A State Champion 3 out of 5 games. Twice as 3A and once as 2A.

More than mere dominance.

The True Dynasty

Www.shelbyhighfootball.com

It is always surprising how short memories are and how short termed “dominance” is celebrated.
Yes, Shelby is in a position to win its 6th State Championship in the last seven years.
One was quick to rightfully mention Independence as dominant in 4A in the 2000s with 7 straight State Championships. Shelby, with a late loss to eventual State Champ Hibriten in 2017 in the Western Finals, may come that close to matching Indy’s feat.
Most agreed at the time that the Independence streak would never again be approached.
Shelby almost got it.
Just one decade later.

Shelby in 04-07 went to 4 straight State Championship Games, winning in 05 and 06.

And from 68 to 76.

15 State Championships in 21 State Championship Game appearances in the last 50 years.
7 Titles as 3A.
8 Titles as 2A.
Played and defeated 3 of the largest 4A schools in the State......as a 2A school.
In the five year period from 93 to 97, played and defeated the 94 and 96 unified 4A State Champion 3 out of 5 games. Twice as 3A and once as 2A.

The True Dynasty

this is what’s been missing !!!!! My man LoL
Most hated but never duplicated..... the Champ !!!

Don’t worry Lawndog! Cats gonna stay in that stout 2A. Very dominant lil 2A. I’ll agree they have done great in 2A.. Props for that they have been dominate in 2A. But in my humble opinion they won’t and better not move up. Coach Ware’s switch to passing is who you better be thanking. Yes I know you all thumped us early in the year, but There was a 3A team that squeaked one out on you all. Go win lil 2A..

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on matchups I doubt they would beat Hunter Huss or KM or Weddington right now.

Based on the 51-14 victory over Crest, Shelby CAN compete with Huss, KM, and Weddington.

The lack of running game, hindered Shelby again KM this year. That's fixed now. This is all hypothetical anyway though..

Shelby almost got it.
Just one decade later.

And from 68 to 76.

7 Titles as 3A.
8 Titles as 2A.

The True Dynasty

Yes sir!!

Based on the 51-14 victory over Crest, Shelby CAN compete with Huss, KM, and Weddington.

The lack of running game, hindered Shelby again KM this year. That's fixed now. This is all hypothetical anyway though..

Being king of the pest leagues, beating a clumsy playing team from 3-stooges-A doesn't mean you would WIN the 3A title

Being king of the pest leagues, beating a clumsy playing team from 3-stooges-A doesn't mean you would WIN the 3A title
LOL ok. Shelby in the last few years has played and beaten several 3a-3aa schools. To not admit that is laughable. The current #1 seed in 3a lost to shelby by several touchdowns. Cmon man

I think Cardinal Gibbons asked to do so but they are unique situation.

They were allowed to move up at the midpoint of the realignment period. Their ADM had grown to 4A numbers and the 3A and 4A conference members did not challenge the change.

They were allowed to move up at the midpoint of the realignment period. Their ADM had grown to 4A numbers and the 3A and 4A conference members did not challenge the change.

When did they have 4A enrollment numbers? Per the Carolinapreps site their highest enrollment was 1564 in 2017.

When did they have 4A enrollment numbers? Per the Carolinapreps site their highest enrollment was 1564 in 2017.

In the 2013-2017 alignment Cardinal Gibbons was placed in 3A. For the 2015 school year their mid alignment request to be placed in 4A was approved. The reason for the approval was the departing and new conferences both approved of the change and there were eight schools with smaller ADMs in 4A at the the time. (Rolesville was a new school and did not have four grades at the time.) There were other 3A schools larger than CG but they did not petition to move up. CG may have provided data for their middle school classes showing expected growth but I do not know if they did so.

Will be curious to see how that plays out for the new alignment in 2021. Will depend a lot on four or five classifications and if four how the percentage of teams they place in each classification.

The big difference between Shelby and Independence's runs is that Indy only lost 1 game during their 7 year run of dominance.

Frank lostpassword
The big difference between Shelby and Independence's runs is that Indy only lost 1 game during their 7 year run of dominance.

No, the big difference is that Independence never played up in classifications, except once...and lost.

Shelby plays up all the time, some seasons as much as 50%of the regular season. Up to 4A as well as 3A. Always has.
Consider that alongside Shelby’s all-time #1 in NC WINS total and consistently high winning percentage.
Since 1997 when Shelby went to 2A regular season, the Golden Lions AVERAGE .33 losses to 2A teams per year.
It takes 3 years to lose ONE 2A game. For the last 23 years.
Think about it.

How does Shelby do when they play up?
Y’all only do it if it’s a program that’s no longer relevant, a shell of it’s former self, just a higher classified cupcake that you’re using to try to make your schedule look good. I truly believe Reidsville hand picks weak opponents to keep the record good and home field advantage in the playoffs. You will never schedule anyone who threatens that. “No one wants to play us” my ass. Played down to 1A this year, rather than contact Page, Dudley, or Grimsley, and that ish backfired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulldog_012
How does Shelby do when they play up?
And the thought of Chase possibly making it to the third round of 2A West. Like the alert that I got from following you guys on Facebook read when the ADMs dropped, “Reidsville Football marked itself safe in 2A West”.

Y’all only do it if it’s a program that’s no longer relevant, a shell of it’s former self, just a higher classified cupcake that you’re using to try to make your schedule look good. I truly believe Reidsville hand picks weak opponents to keep the record good and home field advantage in the playoffs. You will never schedule anyone who threatens that. “No one wants to play us” my ass. Played down to 1A this year, rather than contact Page, Dudley, or Grimsley, and that ish backfired.

I don't think that's true. Grimsley hasn't been very good, so if we did play them in the past we wouldn't have gotten credit for it. Don't forget Reidsville just finished a series with Northern, Northwest guilford and High Point Andrews, those teams aren't good now, but at the beginning of the series they were and were contenders.

Magna Vista in Virginia was coming off state championships, Reidsville also was playing western Alamance and West Rowan.

Now not to be a homer, I'll give us some criticism, Dudley was very interested in playing us. I think we should have made that happen by now. That would be a huge gate and game Dudley and Reidsville fans have been waiting on. Its a shame that game hasn't happened.
Another criticism is why in the work did they schedule Hpc, I don't think we thought they would have been this bad, but geez. Also don't think we should have scheduled Mount Airy.
We should get some credit for Eastern Guilford and East Surry.

And the thought of Chase possibly making it to the third round of 2A West. Like the alert that I got from following you guys on Facebook read when the ADMs dropped, “Reidsville Football marked itself safe in 2A West”.

Yeah we been marked "safe" 20 times

Shelby, Hibriten, Burns, and South Point whenever we see these streaks and blowouts that Reidsville posters have posted , and bragged about daily this season, we all knowing who it was done against.
D7W2arlXoAAAvui.jpg

Last edited:
most of you younger Reidsville guys don't remember or know this....but the Rams were in the conference with Dudley back in the 80's...one particularly upsetting game in the late 1980's (kelly minyard era)....some Dudley fans (supposedly) made threatening comments to the team and coaches before and after the game...actually followed Reidsville bus back to the school....authorities were notified and the car containing so called Dudley fans had a trunk full of weapons.....after that incident Reidsville school authorities (none of which are still there), stated that Reidsville would NEVER schedule another football game with Dudley...of course that's been over 30 years ago, times have changed, attitudes have changed...maybe it's time to start back the series..............

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT