ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2: Burns at Bunker Hill

Burns has the talent and ability to win this game, there is no doubt in my mind about that. What I do have doubts about is are we going to play just a little bit of defense? Moving the ball great especially on the ground, which is always an advantage this time of the year, but still have to get stops on defense.
Which part of your defense struggles the most? If you can stop the run, you will have a chance. If your run defense is weak, it won’t be a good night. BH can pass, but their run game is lethal.

We do better If we can commit to one or the other. I feel like we’re better against the run for sure. We got gashed against Shelby but also had players dropping like fleas due to injury and cramps.

This is the game I wanted over a couple other options. I feel better about stopping a run dominant team.

We do better If we can commit to one or the other. I feel like we’re better against the run for sure. We got gashed against Shelby but also had players dropping like fleas due to injury and cramps.

This is the game I wanted over a couple other options. I feel better about stopping a run dominant team.
Agreed. I know it's PLP but their rb had 2400 yards all season and I think had less than 100 against us. They were able to throw it though. But we sold out on the run most of the night. Shelby can beat you running or throwing so that was tough. If I was a betting man, I'd say we will probably do something similar this week and make sure we stop the run and try to play better pass defense this week. I still don't think BH will stop our offense. It will be high scoring for sure.

Shelby has plenty of parking.
My brother got a $45.00 parking ticket one year from Shelby's finest at a Shelby football game. He drove back down a day or so later and paid the fine in pennies. He just mentioned that over the weekend and laughed when the clerk told him she couldn't take the payment in coin. He said he laughed and walked away and told her to do what she needed to do, but that was how he was rewarding their stupid greed.

Agreed. I know it's PLP but their rb had 2400 yards all season and I think had less than 100 against us. They were able to throw it though. But we sold out on the run most of the night. Shelby can beat you running or throwing so that was tough. If I was a betting man, I'd say we will probably do something similar this week and make sure we stop the run and try to play better pass defense this week. I still don't think BH will stop our offense. It will be high scoring for sure.
I will say one thing PLP RB isn’t close to Willis level . We are one of the most balanced teams probably in 2A we take what the defense gives

I will say one thing PLP RB isn’t close to Willis level . We are one of the most balanced teams probably in 2A we take what the defense gives
I have no doubt that you are correct. I was just saying that when we sell out for a pass or a run, we tend to defend that aspect very well but are susceptible to the other. That being said, we have our own RB that we're very proud of and you better prepare for. Not to mention a Gardner Webb commit at QB. We will score, I promise. The big question is, can we keep you from scoring more.

My brother got a $45.00 parking ticket one year from Shelby's finest at a Shelby football game. He drove back down a day or so later and paid the fine in pennies. He just mentioned that over the weekend and laughed when the clerk told him she couldn't take the payment in coin. He said he laughed and walked away and told her to do what she needed to do, but that was how he was rewarding their stupid greed.

I almost want to send him $45 for his trouble.

I knew you Ducks were law breakers... I swear :)

What’s the chance the game is moved to Thursday? I seen where Shelby moved theirs to Thursday. Didn’t know y’all was scared of the rain also? Lol

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Burns at Bunker Hill will more than likely be a special game. Both, I believe, are complete teams. Any time you're up against a Cleveland County opponent expect a fight, history will bear (NPI) me out on this... I've seen Bunker Hill play and know they are really good, and have no doubt the Bulldogs will be ready, and being a lesser seed will put a chip on their shoulder. I like both programs and wish them the best. To me, even the immediate surroundings of where they're located looks similar. Hope the recipients appreciates the funds a good BH team and fan base is generating for them.

Side Note: Didn't notice it until I turned 70, but some of the things I have read, recent and past, seems to float around until it sticks together in what's left of my ever-shrinking brain, then it spits it out in some kind of monotonous, twisted word salad. For instance, A few weeks ago I saw comments about how this is the first season Bunker Hill had defeated Maiden since Hurricane Hugo, which was September of 1989.

Saturday, there was the thread about Burns coming to Claremont to take on the Bears, then today, I saw comments about the parking at Bunker Hill, and this is what these things ended up as:

The farthest I've ever parked from a stadium and walked to see a football game was at Burns (Not BH). It was close to what felt like a half a mile or maybe more. It was a week or so after hurricane Hugo hit and caused widespread power outages, meaning no TV, no phone, no hot water resulting in cold showers which made your skin feel gummy, and of course schools and businesses were closed because of no power and in many places, like Lincolnton, considerable damage.

That week, I read in the paper where the Burns/Shelby game was going to be played because the power was back on there. I knew people were starved for some entertainment but since Burns was in a rural location the attendance would be no more than normal at best, so I decided to go watch them.

After going through Fallston, which is about two miles away from the school, It wasn't long until I started noticing traffic on both sides of the road, and that's where I parked. At the stadium there were so many people you had to look around those in front of you to get glimpses of the action on the field.

I am here to tell you, both teams went after each other with everything they had. I can't recall whether Shelby or Burns won because the lead changed hands so much and even to the end of the game... For a whole bunch of people who needed entertainment and especially a football fix really, really bad the Lions and the Bulldogs didn't disappoint. Talk about some chicken soup for the soul, that was it. It made me realize just how enjoyable and important local sports can be, and I've always appreciated both programs for their efforts.
Burns won that Hurricane Hugo game, 12-7 I believe. I was in the fifth grade and was at the game and that was our first win over Shelby in like six or seven seasons. Only our second or third ever. We scored a touchdown in the last minute of the game to win it.

Unfortunately losses at KM and South Point cost us conference and we ended up losing at KM in the playoffs. We won a share of conference in 1994 when we won state and finally won an outright conference championship in 2011.

I always love your posts @Lincolnton . Glad you attended that game.

The Bourbon Bowl
excited the waterboy GIF

Shelby has plenty of parking.
But do y'all ever have any big games?

Asking for a friend from Reidsville.

Who am I kidding. Closest I ever came to making a friend in Reidsville was the old guy who let us into the home bathrooms 20 minutes after the gates opened, and a 9 hour drive to our "western" opponent.

My comment was purely for comic value.

I do have an interesting Bunker Hill story, while we wait to see if they change their game time, too.

A few years back, at BH...first game there in years. Wolves had y'all covered that night. I hadda visit the men's room.

As I entered, I noted a foul smell, but that happens sometimes. I was the only person in there, and scanned for the urinals, which were to my right. That's when I noted it.

There, on the floor, was a pair of plaid boxer shorts. They had been abandoned, just outside the full-service stall. The boxers laid amongst a pile of human (I assumed) fecal matter, that most resembled to me, a can of Dinty Moore beef stew. It was appropriately chunky and thick.

My immediate reaction was to run, because I was about to heave. But I just knew someone was gonna come in and name me as a suspect if I ran away. Besides, I had to go. I made the decision to visit the urinal, and so I took one big deep, foul, humid breath, and held it while I evacuated my bladder.

I ran outta breath before I was done, but made a business decision and headed out the door after zipping up. I passed someone on the way out, but I didn't make eye contact. As I gulped air, I heard someone cursing as I stepped back into the fresh, cool, refreshing outdoors, and quickly made for the bleachers before I could be blamed.

On the way, I noted a dude wearing a red sweater draped over his backside, like the preppies in the 80s. I found out later that he was the perpetrator. He'd had a colonic explosion 💥 on the way into the stall, and apparently went inside and kicked the evidence out as he cleaned up!

I've since spoken to the guy who drove the poor fellow home and confirmed the story. They drove home with the windows down that night.

I never think of Bunker Hill without that memory. No offense, Bears. It was Wolf on Wolf crime. I also never pass a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew in a store without remembering this event.

*The story would be better if I had related the pile I saw to Bunker Hill Beef Stew, but sadly Dinty Moore was what came to mind that night, and is how I've told the story since then.
Also, I have lost my blood pressure medicine 3x this week, only to find it each time in the same place I put it for safekeeping. I wish we could choose which memories we keep, lol.

And now, back to the football talk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT