ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2: Burns at Bunker Hill

I think it will be a shootout. Unfortunately our defense hasn't improved much since the beginning of the year and that will probably be our downfall. Giving up 30+ points to PLP, even though a couple scores were in garbage time, doesn't look good. I think we have a chance of winning this this game, we just have to play our best game.

I think it will be a shootout. Unfortunately our defense hasn't improved much since the beginning of the year and that will probably be our downfall. Giving up 30+ points to PLP, even though a couple scores were in garbage time, doesn't look good. I think we have a chance of winning this this game, we just have to play our best game.
Tell us about PLP….did they remind you of any other team? Just curious.

I know CSD beat the bejeezers out of them. Nobody ever talks about CSD though.

PLP defense is non existent. Supposedly their running back is a beast but after last night you couldn't convince me of that. We bottled him up all night. They actually threw it on us to get most of their yards. CSD has a very complex passing game and can score really well. Their weakness is defense and depth.

Honestly it was 28-0 late in the 1st quarter and PLP was reminding me of the Highland Techs & Thomas Jeffersons of our conference, but then Burns decided to quit playing defense. As BBB said I wasn't really impressed with the RB they were supposed to have. Burns gave up yards and points on passing and on stupid penalties. I think we had 3 maybe 4 roughing the passer calls and a couple PI calls.

BH is and deserves to be favored. If we play a complete game, it will be a toss up in the 4th quarter. How is BH's defense? I think we'll score.
Averaged allowing around 14 points. Some of that is trash points, so I would say solid. Burns has a good offense so I wouldn't be surprised when you score on them, but they are not going to be easy.

Let's be honest, BH haven't played many good teams. Lincolnton put up 37 on them. I know Lincolnton is no slouch, but I would say we have the same or better offense than them.
Only game we gave up special teams TDs. Weird night. So, subtract about 21 from that score and it would be a better representation of the defense to be fair.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Been a few years since I’ve made the trip to Claremont but is there a parking plan in place in all seriousness?? Don’t recall too much parking for a game of this magnitude

Always liked the name Bunker Hill Bears 🐻, This team peaks my interest.
daagoob, Bunker Hill is rural school tucked away up in the north end of Catawba County, about 3-4 miles north of Claremont. It's between Hickory and Statesville, about 15 miles from either. If you're a golfer there is a fairly well known course about 5 miles away called Rock Barn. The Bears had a good program some years ago and they've really built it back up in the last few years.

Oh, and all the best to your Northeastern Eagles

Yeah - they scored only 15 points on our defense. Beat them 58-15. We are two completely different football teams - we are actually good. 😂

daagoob, Bunker Hill is rural school tucked away up in the north end of Catawba County, about 3-4 miles north of Claremont. It's between Hickory and Statesville, about 15 miles from either. If you're a golfer there is a fairly well known course about 5 miles away called Rock Barn. The Bears had a good program some years ago and they've really built it back up in the last few years.

Oh, and all the best to your Northeastern Eagles
I remember last season they had a strong team and they played in a big game against Maiden if I’m remembering correctly. I have a vehicle coming this week from Kernersville that Im going to be painting for a customer. On my trip to Maiden I stopped at a mall in Hickory and had a Northeastern hat made. Thanks for the best wishes in regards to our Eagles 🦅. We have a solid team that’ll most likely make it to the eastern championship. Clinton is as good as advertised and it’s going to take a really good team to beat them. Best of luck to your Lincolnton Wolves, I’m always reading your CVAC threads but rarely do I post anything over here.

Burns at Bunker Hill will more than likely be a special game. Both, I believe, are complete teams. Any time you're up against a Cleveland County opponent expect a fight, history will bear (NPI) me out on this... I've seen Bunker Hill play and know they are really good, and have no doubt the Bulldogs will be ready, and being a lesser seed will put a chip on their shoulder. I like both programs and wish them the best. To me, even the immediate surroundings of where they're located looks similar. Hope the recipients appreciates the funds a good BH team and fan base is generating for them.

Side Note: Didn't notice it until I turned 70, but some of the things I have read, recent and past, seems to float around until it sticks together in what's left of my ever-shrinking brain, then it spits it out in some kind of monotonous, twisted word salad. For instance, A few weeks ago I saw comments about how this is the first season Bunker Hill had defeated Maiden since Hurricane Hugo, which was September of 1989.

Saturday, there was the thread about Burns coming to Claremont to take on the Bears, then today, I saw comments about the parking at Bunker Hill, and this is what these things ended up as:

The farthest I've ever parked from a stadium and walked to see a football game was at Burns (Not BH). It was close to what felt like a half a mile or maybe more. It was a week or so after hurricane Hugo hit and caused widespread power outages, meaning no TV, no phone, no hot water resulting in cold showers which made your skin feel gummy, and of course schools and businesses were closed because of no power and in many places, like Lincolnton, considerable damage.

That week, I read in the paper where the Burns/Shelby game was going to be played because the power was back on there. I knew people were starved for some entertainment but since Burns was in a rural location the attendance would be no more than normal at best, so I decided to go watch them.

After going through Fallston, which is about two miles away from the school, It wasn't long until I started noticing traffic on both sides of the road, and that's where I parked. At the stadium there were so many people you had to look around those in front of you to get glimpses of the action on the field.

I am here to tell you, both teams went after each other with everything they had. I can't recall whether Shelby or Burns won because the lead changed hands so much and even to the end of the game... For a whole bunch of people who needed entertainment and especially a football fix really, really bad the Lions and the Bulldogs didn't disappoint. Talk about some chicken soup for the soul, that was it. It made me realize just how enjoyable and important local sports can be, and I've always appreciated both programs for their efforts.

Shelby has plenty of parking.
Well, it’s fine if you don’t mind a little walk. If you guys could get the complimentary golf cart shuttles they run during the American Legion World Series I would be okay with where some of the parking is.
Freedom has great parking if they open all the gates. The visitors can come in from the Freedom park gate and go down to park on the driver’s ed driving range, which is closer to the visitor stands anyway.

Burns at Bunker Hill will more than likely be a special game. Both, I believe, are complete teams. Any time you're up against a Cleveland County opponent expect a fight, history will bear (NPI) me out on this... I've seen Bunker Hill play and know they are really good, and have no doubt the Bulldogs will be ready, and being a lesser seed will put a chip on their shoulder. I like both programs and wish them the best. To me, even the immediate surroundings of where they're located looks similar. Hope the recipients appreciates the funds a good BH team and fan base is generating for them.

Side Note: Didn't notice it until I turned 70, but some of the things I have read, recent and past, seems to float around until it sticks together in what's left of my ever-shrinking brain, then it spits it out in some kind of monotonous, twisted word salad. For instance, A few weeks ago I saw comments about how this is the first season Bunker Hill had defeated Maiden since Hurricane Hugo, which was September of 1989.

Saturday, there was the thread about Burns coming to Claremont to take on the Bears, then today, I saw comments about the parking at Bunker Hill, and this is what these things ended up as:

The farthest I've ever parked from a stadium and walked to see a football game was at Burns (Not BH). It was close to what felt like a half a mile or maybe more. It was a week or so after hurricane Hugo hit and caused widespread power outages, meaning no TV, no phone, no hot water resulting in cold showers which made your skin feel gummy, and of course schools and businesses were closed because of no power and in many places, like Lincolnton, considerable damage.

That week, I read in the paper where the Burns/Shelby game was going to be played because the power was back on there. I knew people were starved for some entertainment but since Burns was in a rural location the attendance would be no more than normal at best, so I decided to go watch them.

After going through Fallston, which is about two miles away from the school, It wasn't long until I started noticing traffic on both sides of the road, and that's where I parked. At the stadium there were so many people you had to look around those in front of you to get glimpses of the action on the field.

I am here to tell you, both teams went after each other with everything they had. I can't recall whether Shelby or Burns won because the lead changed hands so much and even to the end of the game... For a whole bunch of people who needed entertainment and especially a football fix really, really bad the Lions and the Bulldogs didn't disappoint. Talk about some chicken soup for the soul, that was it. It made me realize just how enjoyable and important local sports can be, and I've always appreciated both programs for their efforts.
🐻

Burns has the talent and ability to win this game, there is no doubt in my mind about that. What I do have doubts about is are we going to play just a little bit of defense? Moving the ball great especially on the ground, which is always an advantage this time of the year, but still have to get stops on defense.

Burns has the talent and ability to win this game, there is no doubt in my mind about that. What I do have doubts about is are we going to play just a little bit of defense? Moving the ball great especially on the ground, which is always an advantage this time of the year, but still have to get stops on defense.
🐻🐻

Those Bears have a turbo button... Good luck with the stops on defense...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT