ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Predictions

New3ra

Mar 11, 2022
Now that 7 on 7 is coming to an end
And the season is near, let’s hear some predictions. I want to hear some regular season record predictions, potential losses , and how far will teams go in the postseason. Also want to hear some early picks to win it all. It doesn’t have to be just the team you’re a fan of.

For 3A here is some I think that will make some noise in the playoffs that could win it all.
AC Reynolds, Crest, Kings Mountain, Dudley, West Charlotte. I’m sure couple teams in the East will have a say.
I’m not ready to put West Charlotte as a team that could win it all until I see their offensive scheme. I do believe they have talent and could potentially knock one of the favorites off or cause problems but if they’re still running the same offense from last season I don’t think they can win it all. I’m going to a few of their games, including the first one so we will see.

I’m not ready to put West Charlotte as a team that could win it all until I see their offensive scheme. I do believe they have talent and could potentially knock one of the favorites off or cause problems but if they’re still running the same offense from last season I don’t think they can win it all. I’m going to a few of their games, including the first one so we will see.
Agreed. Alot of people think they could have won against KM in what was probably KM worse game they played all year and they didn't even open the play book a quarter of what they usually would because they didn't have to. The WC offense in that game wouldn't produce enough to challenge any of the remaining 3A teams last year. That's why I have South Point ahead of them in the west this year. If there is know big change in the offense, I also see Monroe beating them. All my opinion of course.

Agreed. Alot of people think they could have won against KM in what was probably KM worse game they played all year and they didn't even open the play book a quarter of what they usually would because they didn't have to. The WC offense in that game wouldn't produce enough to challenge any of the remaining 3A teams last year. That's why I have South Point ahead of them in the west this year. If there is know big change in the offense, I also see Monroe beating them. All my opinion of course.
Bingo! I’m going to give them credit though, they were a big reason for that being “KM worse game”. If I’m being completely honest KM offense outside of running the ball just wasn’t that good and it was predictable. I thought they were limited due to the QB play last year and WC had the skill players to match up with it. I just don’t think West Charlotte offensive scheme if they’re still running that same one is sustainable enough to win it all. I mean it took them to get a pick six and a blocked punt for a score to even put up majority of the points they scored in that game. I think Monroe will beat them also but I could be wrong about that. Monroe has the skill players to match up with them and a really talented transfer QB.

Last edited:
A few things the last two 3A state champions had in common..
- A balanced attack on offense
- At least one D1 skill player that’s a difference maker on offense, sometimes both sides of the ball.

I see WC’s offense as a liability also until they prove that they can move the ball more consistently against good teams with the passing game. It’s hard to be one dimensional against good defenses.
While some people focused on WC going for it on 4th down and not getting it, I seen the game differently.
Most of WC offensive yards came off broken plays in the KM game. WC had no consistent ball movement on offense. WC scored a defensive td and a special teams touchdown in the game. KM turned the ball over a couple of times and had some untimely penalties on top of that. KM still more than doubled WC’s offensive output in yards and still held them to 19pts for the game.
WC has the athletes on the outside to compete but they can’t just show up in beat good teams in the playoffs based off of them playing in a tough conference.

Last edited:
Bingo! I’m going to give them credit though, they were a big reason for that being “KM worse game”. If I’m being completely honest KM offense outside of running the ball just wasn’t that good and it was predictable. I thought they were limited due to the QB play last year and WC had the skill players to match up with it. I just don’t think West Charlotte offensive scheme if they’re still running that same one is sustainable enough to win it all. I mean it took them to get a pick six and a blocked punt for a score to even put up majority of the points they scored in that game. I think Monroe will beat them also but I could be wrong about that. Monroe has the skill players to match up with them and a really talented transfer QB.
I agree that our qb play was trash late season and playoffs. I definitely agree that our passing game was way too predictable in the playoffs. WC and EL returned interceptions for touchdowns on basically the same type of play. It seem like we were trying to force it to one of our guys way too much late in the season and teams knew it was coming. I will just leave it at that.

Reactions: New3ra
Scotland County is a dark horse in 3A. Those guys have some talent returning and some good young talent moving up. QB is the question mark for them.

I see WC’s offense as a liability also until they prove that they can move the ball more consistently against good teams with the passing game. It’s hard to be one dimensional against good defenses.
While some people focused on WC going for it on 4th down and not getting it, I seen the game differently.
Most of WC offensive yards came off broken plays in the KM game. WC had no consistent ball movement on offense. WC scored a defensive td and a special teams touchdown in the game. KM turned the ball over a couple of times and had some in opportune penalties on top of that. KM still more than doubled WC’s offensive output in yards and still held them to 19pts for the game.
WC has the athletes on the outside to compete but they can’t just show up in beat good teams in the playoffs based off of them playing in a tough conference.
Exactly! You can’t do direct snap that much and have no consistent passing game and expect to win it all. You have to be balanced and able to stretch the defense against good teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: shutdownD24
Scotland County is a dark horse in 3A. Those guys have some talent returning and some good young talent moving up. QB is the question mark for them.
I’m going to have to check them out. Right now my top 3 in the East gotta be Southern Durham, Jh rose and Seventy-First (even though their top rusher transferred). They still bring back a ton.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Exactly! You can’t do direct snap that much and have no consistent passing game and expect to win it all.
I understood what they were trying to do but it wasn’t going to work with that direct snap. Our d-line got up field so fast last year that they were hoping to pop a trap play or quick hitter from the direct snap. The issue was that our guys could see that and it led to their running backs absolutely getting lit up a couple of times. EL did the exact same thing but they used some counter action by while snapping directly to the qb. It worked perfectly. Our fast aggressive defensive front ran right by Daley and EL was popping it right behind them. WC’s coach thinking was on the right track but not quite the right scheme and offensive line talent to make it happen against KM.

Last edited:
I’m going to have to check them out. Right now my top 3 in the East gotta be Southern Durham, Jh rose and Seventy-First (even though their top rusher transferred). They still bring back a ton.
Scotland has a freshman down there that folks are already comparing to Zamir White in addition to several other good backs. They also return a veteran offensive line that is pretty solid. Their non-conference schedule is pretty tough.

Most of WC offensive yards came off broken plays in the KM game. WC had no consistent ball movement on offense. WC scored a defensive td and a special teams touchdown in the game. KM turned the ball over a couple of times and had some in opportune penalties on top of that. KM still more than doubled WC’s offensive output in yards and still held them to 19pts for the game.
Agreed. Playing a team and them(km) having their worse game and still get beat showed last year wasn't their year. Broken plays was where their offense came from and they had no push off the ball from the oline. Another year under the current coach will do them well if they bought in a new offensive coordinator or changed their scheme. They did have 2 on the dline with high motors that I liked. Ive seen several people talk about in two more years they will be dominant, but they will also be back in their school population class also, so no current 3A school would play them in two years except maybe west meck.

Exactly! You can’t do direct snap that much and have no consistent passing game and expect to win it all. You have to be balanced and able to stretch the defense against good teams.
Unless you have the Crest oline and Tre Harbison from years back. They direct snapped teams to death. They could have pointed where the ball was going to and noone could stop it. It definitely wasn't 3 yards and a cloud of dust when they did it, unless you count the 3 yards the other teams dline was pushed back and the dust from the back their jerseys as they was getting off the ground. Lol

Eastern alamance is a sleeper out east
Ehh, They’ll be good but I wouldn’t put them in that category as a sleeper coming out the East as a title contender. They can make some noise on that side of the bracket though.

Ehh, They’ll be good but I wouldn’t put them in that category as a sleeper coming out the East as a title contender. They can make some noise on that side of the bracket though.

Yeah, pretty much what I meant. I don't think they'll come out east or anything

Scotland has a freshman down there that folks are already comparing to Zamir White in addition to several other good backs. They also return a veteran offensive line that is pretty solid. Their non-conference schedule is pretty tough.
What’s your regular season record prediction for KM and Crest and who goes further this year? Both expecting a ring.

Last edited:
What’s your regular season record prediction for KM and Crest and who goes further this year? Both expecting a ring.
Too early for me to make that type of prediction. Both teams are really talented. Crest’s offense and KM’s defense will be really good and will carry both teams early in the season. Crest opens with Gaffney while KM is learning a new system. Because of this I expect KM to get better as the season rolls along. The conference championship will more than likely come down to the game between them.

Reactions: New3ra and Crestuff
Same side of the bracket or West finals?
Just getting to the West finals is going to be a gauntlet in 3A. You are going to have a #3 team out of the Big South going on the road to someone early in the playoffs. Yikes!

Also you are going to have WC, Dudley, South Point, AC Reynolds, KM, Crest, and a sneaky good West Henderson team all on the west side of the bracket. If Ashbrook gets a passing game than no higher seed will want to see them in the first round.

Earlier in this thread several of you kept saying, a team can’t win when they are predictable. I disagree. I think it’s been proven in the past, as long as you can do what you do, it doesn’t matter if your opponents know what’s coming if they can’t stop it. GO BIG RED !!!

Reactions: Mopar forever
Earlier in this thread several of you kept saying, a team can’t win when they are predictable. I disagree. I think it’s been proven in the past, as long as you can do what you do, it doesn’t matter if your opponents know what’s coming if they can’t stop it. GO BIG RED !!!
Yeah but what you’re referring to is different. We were talking about WC when they played KM and some of the passing plays KM used last season . Of course running the red bone is different to prepare for even if you know what’s coming or certain schemes.

People get really caught up in what offense you run. New Bern won 4A against a balanced Grimsley last year. I've seen many contrarian schemes over the years win.

Championship football is still won by defense, special teams and yes, a bit of luck.
Championship football is won by Defense and Offense, special teams and luck..you forgot to mention New Bern averaged like 47 ppg last season…Anyways New Bern’s Scheme is in that same category as the Redbone, Catholic, etc completely different than what we were even talking about. Some of y’all are joining in late and going off into different directions. We were specifically talking about WC coming into this season and when they played KM last season.

Last edited:
West Charlotte like every single team in the state should be running the offense that gives the the best chance to win. Be it run and gun, ball control or what ever. You have to be big and fast but you don’t have to be the biggest, you don’t have to be the fastest. You have to be better at what you do than your opponent is at what he does to stop you. I didn’t see West Charlotte play last year, maybe their coach thought that his offense was their best chance to win. And yes luck plays into it as well.

I didn't forget anything. New Berns D is what made Grimsley look average and their offense which people made fun of for being antiquated did average an astoundingly high amount for a ground based attack, which further proves.my point actually.

I didn't forget anything. New Berns D is what made Grimsley look average and their offense which people made fun of for being antiquated did average an astoundingly high amount for a ground based attack, which further proves.my point actually.
It doesn’t because they ran a scheme that is in the same category as a team like SP or Catholic in which we originally weren’t even talking about. Those offenses will stand the test of time in HS football. So again, you came into this conversation and moved the goalpost. It doesn't matter what New Bern did. The conversation was about why we don’t consider WC a championship team as of now because of their offense and that’s it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DeBoer31 and 87SwO
West Charlotte like every single team in the state should be running the offense that gives the the best chance to win. Be it run and gun, ball control or what ever. You have to be big and fast but you don’t have to be the biggest, you don’t have to be the fastest. You have to be better at what you do than your opponent is at what he does to stop you. I didn’t see West Charlotte play last year, maybe their coach thought that his offense was their best chance to win. And yes luck plays into it as well.
You really had to see it in person to know that offense couldn't do anything against an average defense except a broken play here or there, let alone a top notch, disciplined defense. Same formation, same play, not even the threat of a basic pass game. They actually remind me of some of the Ashbrook teams, really good size kids but no threat to most top teams.

It doesn’t because they ran a scheme that is in the same category as a team like SP or Catholic in which we originally weren’t even talking about. Those offenses will stand the test of time in HS football. So again, you came into this conversation and moved the goalpost. It doesn't matter what New Bern did. The conversation was about why we don’t consider WC a championship team as of now because of their offense and that’s it.
Dude there were a few different things said beside what you said. No need to get riled up about it lol. The title of the thread is not why we believe WC offense can't get it done. The point I made is you can run single wing, double wing, veer or spread if you have the right players to do so and have defense to go along.with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeBoer31
The WC game against KM last year looked to me like WC was their own worst enemy… What I remember of the game WC looked undisciplined when it mattered most. Scheme and plays are one thing but if the players don’t execute said plays it’s all for nothing….

Reactions: New3ra and beamer24
Now that 7 on 7 is coming to an end
And the season is near, let’s hear some predictions. I want to hear some regular season record predictions, potential losses , and how far will teams go in the postseason. Also want to hear some early picks to win it all. It doesn’t have to be just the team you’re a fan of.
The MIGHTY CREST CHARGERS could win the 3A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP easily.

• Haha
Reactions: 87SwO and New3ra
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT