ADVERTISEMENT

Oak Grove vs Crest

BlackKnightNut

May 13, 2007
OG is undefeated but now they get to test their mettle against Cleveland County. OG has been a second half and fourth quarter team this year winning numerous games in the closing minutes. They are well coached but may find themselves at an athletic disadvantage this week. Thoughts?

I agree 100%, Nut. Oak Grove hasn't looked dominant in any of their games against good teams, but has found a way to win every game. They never panic and always seem to make a play or two at the end to win.

Crest will probably be the best team they have faced, and Simmons will probably have Crest as a favorite based on this week's numbers. Their 3 losses are all against teams that are above Oak Grove in Simmons' Ratings.

I hope McGuffin is healthy. He played more linebacker than running back last night, but the OG offense is definitely harder to deal with when he is in the backfield. Oak Grove's final and decisive TD last night came on a 3 or 4 play drive where he carried it every play. The TD was a run of about 60 yards where he pulled away from the West Meck DB's once he got in the secondary. I knew he has some wheels on him, but I didn't realize the big guy was that fast. He didn't play offense at all the next two possessions, despite OG needing to burn some clock. OG went three and out on both of those possessions. He barely carried it in the first half either. I don't know if they were trying to keep him fresh for defense, or if he is still nursing the ankle injury from the Central game. Either way, they are going to need him in a big way against Crest.

I agree 100%, Nut. Oak Grove hasn't looked dominant in any of their games against good teams, but has found a way to win every game. They never panic and always seem to make a play or two at the end to win.

Crest will probably be the best team they have faced, and Simmons will probably have Crest as a favorite based on this week's numbers. Their 3 losses are all against teams that are above Oak Grove in Simmons' Ratings.

I hope McGuffin is healthy. He played more linebacker than running back last night, but the OG offense is definitely harder to deal with when he is in the backfield. Oak Grove's final and decisive TD last night came on a 3 or 4 play drive where he carried it every play. The TD was a run of about 60 yards where he pulled away from the West Meck DB's once he got in the secondary. I knew he has some wheels on him, but I didn't realize the big guy was that fast. He didn't play offense at all the next two possessions, despite OG needing to burn some clock. OG went three and out on both of those possessions. He barely carried it in the first half either. I don't know if they were trying to keep him fresh for defense, or if he is still nursing the ankle injury from the Central game. Either way, they are going to need him in a big way against Crest.
He could be a difference maker against Crest. Crest is good but they are young this year and hasn’t been great against the run. I’m still leaning towards picking them to win but it wouldn’t shock me at all if either team won.

I also agree that OG has not played well and somehow managed wins. Several of the OG players were sick this week. McGuffin being one of them. From what I heard he was still feeling weak before the game. OG will have to play MUCH better to get a W against a team like Crest. Creech was not protected very well last night and got sacked more than he should have as he could not scramble and break away as much as he had in previous games. I expect Crest to be favored by 7.

It’s an exciting week for Oak Grove. Crest will be the first real “signature” team that has ever rolled into Midway. A team with a real great history and lots of success. I hope Crest brings a great crowd!

I am a big believer in SOS at this point in the year. Looking at these 2 teams, Oak Grove has played 2 teams with a winning record this year. Crest has played 6 teams with a winning record this year. Oak Grove has played 6 teams that made the playoffs and 1 is left standing. Crest has played 9 teams that made the playoffs and 4 are still playing.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out Friday night.

Yeah. We’re going to line up and see. I’d like a complete four quarter game from Crest. I know nothing other than what Smash posted about OG. Apparently they want to run it down the throat. That’s our weakness sometimes.

I do know Crest will bring speed and a bunch of it. Tater was throwing darts against Statesville. That throw that 6 dropped was as fine of a pass that was thrown anywhere last night.

I am a big believer in SOS at this point in the year. Looking at these 2 teams, Oak Grove has played 2 teams with a winning record this year. Crest has played 6 teams with a winning record this year. Oak Grove has played 6 teams that made the playoffs and 1 is left standing. Crest has played 9 teams that made the playoffs and 4 are still playing.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out Friday night.
I did notice one team OG barely beat Monroe beat 61 to 0.

• Haha
Reactions: BulldogJacket85
I did notice one team OG barely beat Monroe beat 61 to 0.
OG Beat 9-1 Ledford team that stomped Freedom Friday nite.. OG has some size and that’s going be tough on the small Chargers..if #56 and #52 could get a few snaps in the middle of tha DLine we might be able to hang with OG

Last edited:
OG Beat 9-1 Ledford team that stomped Freedom Friday nite.. OG has some size and that going be tough on the smal Chargers..if #56 and #52 could get a few snaps in the middle of tha DLine we might be able to hang with OG
Freedom wasn't that good just like the rest of Ledfords SOS. Same with OG's wins over Southwest, Ragsdale, and West Forsyth. Those teams are known for falling on their face. Our little brothers in the Davidson county always have size walking off the bus but, if you come out and play them tough for 4 quarters they will fold.

Crest's SOS will be the difference in this game. #6 must catch the wide open balls he dropped in the Statesville game. #3 catches everything and #2 is shifty when he gets in space.

Crest 33- Oak Grove- 21

• Wow
Reactions: Crestuff
If it's played in the pouring rain it's a tossup. If the game is on a fast track it's 11 and 1. That's how it is.

Crest's SOS will be the difference in this game. #6 must catch the wide open balls he dropped in the Statesville game. #3 catches everything and #2 is shifty when he gets in space.

Crest 33- Oak Grove- 21
#3 needs more touches just my opinion.....i think Crest wins easily.

Reactions: Buck_Sweep_27
Would love to see him getting some screen passes with #88 doing the blocking. If we could establish #3, #88,#15 and #2 in the first quarter we could really open up things offensively and get some of that double coverage off #6
100percnt correct. There is no reason for 6 to be double covered with all the other speed at the WR position. 3 is great I really believe that. And in my opinion #88 could be a monster. #15 is trying to show out.

Green will have 2 guys on him regardless. Gotta make teams pay for it and I think we have seen that happen as Adams, Addison and Borders have been putting up good numbers. Corry is a dangerous threat inside the red zone. Let 6-3 210 go get it.

Any chance #88 lines up at TE?

I know that's not really in Coach Sosebee's style, but that kid looks the part.

I think it will a cold day in Arizona when he uses a TE. 😀
Watching his highlights from Gaffney he was really hard to tackle if he gets the ball in his hands..I don’t think Coach is showing us his hold hand yet😉 Barnes always used to save a little something for the playoffs also

Reactions: crestrulz
Watching his highlights from Gaffney he was really hard to tackle if he gets the ball in his hands..I don’t think Coach is showing us his hold hand yet😉 Barnes always used to save a little something for the playoffs also
I've heard he's something to see on the basketball court too. But I hope it's a little bit before we find out.

When brackets came out I thought Oak Grove was a winnable game for Crest. Don't know much about OG and would be interesting in seeing how those close wins were played. Looks like they were up on West Meck most of the game and gave up some scores late to make it close.

When brackets came out I thought Oak Grove was a winnable game for Crest. Don't know much about OG and would be interesting in seeing how those close wins were played. Looks like they were up on West Meck most of the game and gave up some scores late to make it close.
Honestly, I had Crest beating them and going to the third round when brackets came out as well.

Reactions: crestcharger02
OG isn't a flashy team. They like to wear you down with a ground and pound mixed with playaction passing game. They have three running backs that split carries and a qb who can run and seems to throw best in the fourth quarter.

If Crest can go over the top early and often it will go well for them. If OG hangs around they may be in their ideal situation.

Does the stadium have grass or turf? I see all other games being ,moved but nothing regarding this one. If it is moved I hope it is to Saturday so the Nation can come. It'd be impossible to go for a lot of us that have to work for a living if it is played on Thursday.

Or are we just playng Friday come hell or high-water?

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Does the stadium have grass or turf? I see all other games being ,moved but nothing regarding this one. If it is moved I hope it is to Saturday so the Nation can come. It'd be impossible to go for a lot of us that have to work for a living if it is played on Thursday.

Or are we just playng Friday come hell or high-water?
Stadium is Grass. I've heard nothing about the game night being changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT