ADVERTISEMENT

MPC Week 11

Centrals offense may be "antiquated" but it's a heck of a lot better looking than that "modern" offense that Aboro or MC run lol. Its all about putting your boys in the best position to be successful which is more than can be said for half this conference...

It works for them and maximizes their chances with their personnel. I can't fault them for running it. I just hate watching it.

6 Oak Grove vs 27 Gastonia Ashbrook

14 Ledford vs 19 East Lincoln

13 Eastern Guilford vs 20 Central Davidson

5 Concord JM Robinson vs 28 North Davidson

Very real possibility that OG is the only team to advance....

FWIW, I’m still relatively new here and only know from what I’ve read (mainly here) and watching 2 seasons of FB here. I know enough that in the playoffs you can’t take anything for granted and can’t look past this week, but it looks like Ashbrook should be a W, that said I’m optimistic on at least the 3rd round for the grizzlies. (Assuming Pisgah is 2nd opponent and from what I’m reading that is winnable if we don’t take a quarter or half to get offense going, with it being a home game. However if offense stutters it could get ugly).

Looks like West Henderson could be difficult (especially away), but would be a heck of a game! Regardless, I’ll be at all the games cheering on the grizzlies until we have no more.

6 Oak Grove vs 27 Gastonia Ashbrook

14 Ledford vs 19 East Lincoln

13 Eastern Guilford vs 20 Central Davidson

5 Concord JM Robinson vs 28 North Davidson

Very real possibility that OG is the only team to advance....
OG should advance a couple rounds. If the Ledford TB is healthy they can win that game as well. But it will be a tough game as EL is always an athletic and hard nosed team. The others go home.

Ledford could win yes. My thinking is that the speed of East Lincoln will give them issues. If Ledford does advance they get West Henderson. And if they somehow get past WH then it's likely a rematch with OG which would be a HUGE crowd at the Grove

Ledford got a really tough draw. I think Oak Grove has a really nice draw if they can take advantage of it. Oak Grove will struggle if they have to come back from a deficit. QB is good, but he struggles with accuracy if he has to scramble.
Central is incredibly frustrating to watch, but that’s their plan. North…. well, hope they get some things fixed and sorted for next year.

Oak Grove 34 Ashbrook 0
JM Robinson 42 ND 0
East Lincoln 49 Ledford 13
CD 30 Eastern Guilford 27

Oak Grove may possibly get a rematch against East Lincoln from 2 years ago... if not they go to Mills River and West Henderson where my wife is from but she went to Asheville across the county line... I expect OG to take care of Pisgah. Pisgah isn't a bad program but they are far from the powerhouse of yesteryear gone by. OG would have the same problem Ledford did against EL speed wise but in the trenches they arguably more than can make up for it.

Central is rewarded for their landmark statement by going to Gboro to see the DBOYZ as they like to refer to themselves. Dudley historically is great on defense. South Point scoring so much on them last year was an anomaly. Central will need more than luck and heart to play with them... regardless Central should be proud and seems to be ready to take the next step if they can just find a defense. Their offense always gives them a punchers chance. Dudley speed and D will be too much but so what? Central is on the rise. Shocking to those who saw them lose what, 30 some games in a row not long ago?

On the other hand we have ND. Defense is non existent. That used to be a point of pride. Spare me the youth argument. We were young because players were quitting and not staying in the program. No other way this team has so few seniors. And can you blame them? The coaches treated them like crap and it has been on display for a while now. Not just Flynn either. Clean house and let the new coach hire guys he knows actually can teach football and turn boys into young men. Cause this crap the last few years ain't it... not by a long shot. It is embarrassing that a school that used to go toe to toe with West Forsyth who had 900 to almost 1000 students more is now getting embarrassed by less athletic and smaller schools. Midway going to OG is a factor for sure but it has become blatantly obvious that the 2A years were fools gold and the kids won IN SPITE of their coaches because of talent, not because of quality coaching. When the talent is even or close the coaching has been weighed, measured and found not just wanting but lacking entirely...

Ledford I felt was in trouble with East Lincoln because EL is usually very athletic and has championship pedigree. I didn't necessarily expect a blowout but it really shows how horrible Ledfords schedule was this year and most years. Glenn was supposed to be a landmark victory and now it barely means anything. Beating North and acting the fool afterwards came back... karma is a b... BTW the record is still 44-8-1 all time. All Ledford has to do is catch up by 3 and a half decades worth... and according to inside sources the Ledford talent well is about to go dry. We shall see on that note.

GO GRIZZ AND SPARTY!!!

Out of all of the misbehavior and possible miscreant behavior that has happened at North over this past half decade… busted for recruiting, coaches and volunteer coaches (who is also a school board member) serving suspensions, one as long as 365 days, the thing that chaps my hide the most is this “one team, one dream” slogan that designed to be an indicator of loyalty. What many folks aren’t aware of, Coach Flynn had interviewed at several other area schools over the last few off seasons. None hired him. They knew the bill of goods that he was peddling. “Stick together”…hit the whole time he was looking to improve his position elsewhere. He should have bounced when his stock was high after the 2A finals appearance vs Shelby.

On the other hand we have ND. Defense is non existent. That used to be a point of pride. Spare me the youth argument. We were young because players were quitting and not staying in the program. No other way this team has so few seniors. And can you blame them? The coaches treated them like crap and it has been on display for a while now. Not just Flynn either. Clean house and let the new coach hire guys he knows actually can teach football and turn boys into young men. Cause this crap the last few years ain't it... not by a long shot. It is embarrassing that a school that used to go toe to toe with West Forsyth who had 900 to almost 1000 students more is now getting embarrassed by less athletic and smaller schools. Midway going to OG is a factor for sure but it has become blatantly obvious that the 2A years were fools gold and the kids won IN SPITE of their coaches because of talent, not because of quality coaching. When the talent is even or close the coaching has been weighed, measured and found not just wanting but lacking entirely...

Out of all of the misbehavior and possible miscreant behavior that has happened at North over this past half decade… busted for recruiting, coaches and volunteer coaches (who is also a school board member) serving suspensions, one as long as 365 days, the thing that chaps my hide the most is this “one team, one dream” slogan that designed to be an indicator of loyalty. What many folks aren’t aware of, Coach Flynn had interviewed at several other area schools over the last few off seasons. None hired him. They knew the bill of goods that he was peddling. “Stick together”…hit the whole time he was looking to improve his position elsewhere. He should have bounced when his stock was high after the 2A finals appearance vs Shelby.
What a shame to see Flynn and that crew dismantle everything that Holcomb had built up there. Not just football wise, but character wise. This board used to be full of proud ND supporters, and now most of them are gone. The ones that remain are sick of the antics.

There are probably a few assistants that would be good to keep around. Dave Robertson is one that comes to mind (assuming he's still on staff. It's been a while since I sat on the ND side). But I can think of at least 3 that need to go, including the school board member mentioned by PrepFanNC and the defensive coordinator. .

Last edited:
What a shame to see Flynn and that crew dismantle everything that Holcomb had built up there. Not just football wise, but character wise. This board used to be full of proud ND supporters, and now most of them are gone. The ones that remain are sick of the antics.

There are probably a few assistants that would be good to keep around. Dave Robertson is one that comes to mind. But I can think of at least 3 that need to go, including the school board member mentioned by PrepFanNC and the defensive coordinator. .
Spot on. Couldn't have said it any better. It's Deeper than Holcomb though. It goes all the way back to Butts, Stewart, Cline and especially Palmer. Hinkle even. Hinkle never gets his due because it was a mess at the end that Cline fixed immediately but Hinkle had respectable seasons at a time when Thomasville and Lexington were State Powers and winning titles. There was no shame in finishing third to them in conference and Hinkle even beat Lexington a few years in a row in the 80s before the first move up to 4A that tarnished Hinkles career. Cline was a great coach but also benefitted greatly from ND coming back down to 3A and leaving before we went up to 4A again the second time.

People don't seem to know why Palmer Field is named as such... Don Palmer was an innovator in the 60s and 70s at a time when passing was not a thing. ND had a few All State qbs and receivers (Hinkle was one and had every receiving record at ND from the early 60s until the new millennium), won the 1966 2A area State Championship against East Surry after going to it four years in a row from 63-66. In 67 we moved up to 3A and only lost to the legendary Lexington WNCHSAA champs twice while winning the North Piedmont 3A title as the smallest school in the district by far. Then in 75 we tied Shelby for the WNCHSAA title (should have won if not for literally fumbling the victory away in the second half). He made ND football. Period. A true legend and innovator at a time when it was unpopular to do some of those things. On and off the field.

Last edited:
I was sitting in the crowd for a senior awards day at NDHS a few year ago. Classy affair at most schools. Each time a football player walked across the stage, members of the football team would bark like dogs. I scanned the gym and there was Flynn…. Also barking. That was only a year or two after he was named head coach. Things went downhill awfully quick.

• Wow
Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Spot on. Couldn't have said it any better. It's Deeper than Holcomb though. It goes all the way back to Butts, Stewart, Cline and especially Palmer. Hinkle even. Hinkle never gets his due because it was a mess at the end that Cline fixed immediately but Hinkle had respectable seasons at a time when Thomasville and Lexington were State Powers and winning titles. There was no shame in finishing third to them in conference and Hinkle even beat Lexington a few years in a row in the 80s before the first move up to 4A that tarnished Hinkles career. Cline was a great coach but also benefitted greatly from ND coming back down to 3A and leaving before we went up to 4A again the second time.

People don't seem to know why Palmer Field is named as such... Don Palmer was an innovator in the 60s and 70s at a time when passing was not a thing. ND had a few All State qbs and receivers (Hinkle was one and had every receiving record at ND from the early 60s until the new millennium), won the 1966 2A area State Championship against East Surry after going to it four years in a row from 63-66. In 67 we moved up to 3A and only lost to the legendary Lexington WNCHSAA champs twice while winning the North Piedmont 3A title as the smallest school in the district by far. Then in 75 we tied Shelby for the WNCHSAA title (should have won if not for literally fumbling the victory away in the second half). He made ND football. Period. A true legend and innovator at a time when it was unpopular to do some of those things. On and off the field.

Thanks. I'm a johnny-come-lately that just started attending ND games (and high school football games in general) around 2009. I knew some of the history there, and probably should have just said that Holcomb left it in a very good place.

When Holcomb took the Oak Grove job, I was torn on which way to go as a fan. Without the lifelong ties that you and a lot of others have, it didn't take long after seeing the contrast in the way the programs were being run to become an OG fan. Now if Tripp Honeycutt comes back to ND as head coach, I might be back to being torn.

Last edited:
Steve Hinkle was all time great staple of North Davidson. He should honestly have something named after him.

I just want to give a massive congratulations to central. When is the last they won a playoff game? Idk but they don’t win them much. What guts by them boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT