ADVERTISEMENT

MPC Week 7

Final analysis:

Defense played well except for 2 big pass plays. Otherwise MC didn't move the ball well at all. One of those was a TD before the half.

Our offense started hot, cooled off, then put the nail in the coffin when necessary.

MC was much better this year. Talent wise they may have actually been just as good if not better. Still extremely undisciplined. Speed at the skill positions. Big on the line except center. 99 was a stud but had 3 or 4 roughing the passer or unsportsmanlike penalties like Ndamukong Suh

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
All I'll say is that North's coaches were very calm and composed the other night and weren't acting the fool on the sideline.

Whether that was because they were minding their p's and q's because of the situation or if it was because he wasn't there I dont know. Flynn wasn't the only one the past few years acting nuts every week but as the head coach he was responsible for his assistants actions as well. What I do know is that MC was the team making head scratching penalties and it was a welcome change from what had been a trend in the past.

All I'll say is that North's coaches were very calm and composed the other night and weren't acting the fool on the sideline.

Whether that was because they were minding their p's and q's because of the situation or if it was because he wasn't there I dont know. Flynn wasn't the only one the past few years acting nuts every week but as the head coach he was responsible for his assistants actions as well. What I do know is that MC was the team making head scratching penalties and it was a welcome change from what had been a trend in the past.
Could this be the opening for Honeycutt to return back to that part of the county coaching? I know his family history and his status as an up and coming HC is got him on teams radars.

I agree. There are a few assistants and other people hanging around the program that need to go too. Maybe they were following his lead, but that still doesn't say much for their character.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Could this be the opening for Honeycutt to return back to that part of the county coaching? I know his family history and his status as an up and coming HC is got him on teams radars.
He is the obvious hire, but I wonder if he would want it right now.

My understanding is that Flynn still has a teaching job there. I think it's going to be tough to get a really good coach there if he remains at the school. Hopefully he will decide to move on.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
He is the obvious hire, but I wonder if he would want it right now.

My understanding is that Flynn still has a teaching job there. I think it's going to be tough to get a really good coach there if he remains at the school. Hopefully he will decide to move on.
Maybe. Maybe not. Fleming came in when Holcomb became an assistant principal. Not that he was an out of this world hire but Holcomb being an assistant principal had no effect on it from what I can recall.

As far as Tripp goes, it comes down to a couple things. Does he want to build South into a legit program that has a winning season and a playoff win maybe? South has a very low ceiling even in 1A ball. They have to beat Tville and North Rowan to get a high seed. Their facilities aren't the worst but also not the greatest.

Tripp was/is a Black Knight and coached here even after Oak Grove got built and he's from Midway.

Questions for later... the season must play out first.

Last edited:
Reactions: M193_55g
Maybe. Maybe not. Fleming came in when Holcomb became an assistant principal. Not that he was an out of this world hire but Holcomb being an assistant principal had no effect on it from what I can recall.

As far as Tripp goes, it comes down to a couple things. Does he want to build South into a legit program that has a winning season and a playoff win maybe? South has a very low ceiling even in 1A ball. They have to beat Tville and North Rowan to get a high seed. Their facilities aren't the worst but also not the greatest.

Tripp was/is a Black Knight and coached here even after Oak Grove got built and he's from Midway.

Questions for later... the season must play out first.

But Holcomb was not the type to try undermine his successor.

But Holcomb was not the type to try undermine his successor.
True. That would get a teacher or assistant principal fired I would think. Also more to worry about to me would be the assistant coaches who didn't get the job. I saw that happen personally so I know it happens lol

Reactions: M193_55g
True. That would get a teacher or assistant principal fired I would think. Also more to worry about to me would be the assistant coaches who didn't get the job. I saw that happen personally so I know it happens lol
You’ve got some good points. If Flynn is indeed finished as head coach, he won’t be there at all next year. A high school can’t waste a PE position on a teacher who isn’t allowed to coach. He will find somewhere else. Probably not as a head coach though. That ship has sailed. Other schools have passed on him in recent years.

At the game Friday it was clear he was not present. Nothing out anywhere yet. Appears acting head coach different then last fall Cody something this time?

North had a history of undisciplined plays and penalties the past several years and that is definitely coaching.

When I played Flynn just showed up. He was alright towards me. I’m pretty flawed guy with a lot of mercy needed on a certain big day so I hope all the best for Flynn and his family. A fresh start can be good for both.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT