ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Airy vs Draughn Western 1A Finals

I hate open enrollment. It should be banned by the NCHSAA ! All of Forsyth Co. has it but the NWC in the new realignment doesn't have to deal with any of their schools now. Got rid of WSPrep and Bishop. :):):)

Open enrollment isn't an NCHSAA issue. Mayberry has also benefitted from their fair share of transfers over the years.

Draughn was one of the teams that I never thought of them making it this far. Great season for them. I think Mt Airy n Tarboro is going to be a good game to watch.

That’s what I’ve been saying. On the blitz the short passes and middle routes are open. Last fall when they played he was not a mobile QB. Time after time he stood tall and took hits not to mention he was only 6’4 147 lbs. flash forward a year he’s added muscle and the ability to run. A mobile 6’6 1/2 180 lbs that welcome blitzes on pass plays is a lot more Dangerous in my opinion.
Didn't see this at all last night. And where you at Swatz? You're good to have around for material. Been too quiet!

Reactions: sbbbfan
Congrats to Draughn on an outstanding season. MA Coaches had a great game plan that was well executed (minus a few penalties). Defense was flying to the ball all night. OL gave Mason plenty of holes and creases to run through (over 500 yds rushing & Mason with 290). Gallimore is a WARRIOR!!! Passing offense may be our Achilles heel. GO BEARS!!!
If you can’t pass you can’t beat tarboro

Draughn QB was 5-20 for 96 yds. But in fairness, that kid was running for his life all night long. MA DBs were "locked" on receivers/backs. One long completion at the end of the game and one well designed screen pass to Dula accounted for most of the yardage. Dula's a weapon and should be finding ways to put the ball in his hands more.

He's working Catawba and Caldwell Counties today looking for recruits
Be nice to Swatz. I believe he is just a very proud father of a very good player and team that ran into an elite team and he has had a "come to Jesus" moment. Reality is sometimes very hard to face when it hits you so hard in the face.
I would just say to him, there is life after high school sports. Take that from a father whose sons played over 20 years ago. Now I watch and enjoy and I enjoy it a lot. But it is not life or death.

Draughn QB was 5-20 for 96 yds. But in fairness, that kid was running for his life all night long. MA DBs were "locked" on receivers/backs. One long completion at the end of the game and one well designed screen pass to Dula accounted for most of the yardage. Dula's a weapon and should be finding ways to put the ball in his hands more.
Do you have the rushing yards for Reed and Gallimore?
Rushing yards for Dula?

Swatz is done. Hot Flash. Hot team.Team lost he's Ghost.
Ive been waiting for that. Him and his brood are over rated. What a complete and utter butt kicking. Keep hearing draughn will be back next to you with the same juniors. Well guess who will be back with the same juniors as well. And a whole bunch of freshman in sophomores who are a whole lot better than what they got. Oh yeah they got a little taste of number 4 tonight didn't they. They kept saying they had played athletes when they had played Thomasville. You see what four dudes that are better than anybody you got in your receiving core can do to you?. Quarterback better take that offer from ferrum.

Last edited:
No reason for us to "make fun" of Draughn. Let them battle it out with SMC & WHC folks. The Draughn fans I met last night were very friendly and congratulatory. Although, before the game there were 3 men that kept telling my wife and me that we haven't seen an offense like theirs!

No reason for us to "make fun" of Draughn. Let them battle it out with SMC & WHC folks. The Draughn fans I met last night were very friendly and congratulatory. Although, before the game there were 3 men that kept telling my wife and me that we haven't seen an offense like theirs!
First of all, congratulations to thr Mount Airy Granite Bears for winning the Western Regional last night and representing the West in the Championship next weekend. May you do well! Last night, You guys proved you are the best of the West.
We are proud of our Draughn Wildcats on a terrific season and they have nothing to hang their heads about. We will not make excuses but we will get back to work. We were manhandled and got beat by a better team.
As far as the silence from Draughn posters I can only speak for this one but I will say this. We are hurting for our kids and you probably won't hear anything from us because we have been sent to basketball, wrestling, or whatever season is next. Best of luck to the two remaining teams in 1A, and to the rest of us, good luck on your prospective athletic seasons.

They were tied up behind the Bear Bus and we forgot about them until this morning. Our apologies
I went back about 2am let them go. They were saying please turn that video board off it's unfair how you use it to motivate your team and have homefeild advantage. But hey Draughns does have that huge blow up helmet to run through.

Did you tell them they were right after the game?

• Haha
Reactions: Jmappfan5
I'd be interested to see last year's stats compared to this year if anybody has them.

No dog in the fight other than a baby cousin cheering for Draughn but I observed raw, strength, speed, and just plain talent from MA. Not many if at all teams out West in 1A carry that kind of rawness. Draughn does to a certain degree and Thomasville but MA had the total package. No doubt or question these guys prob make noise on that rubber track in the spring. Best of luck against Tarboro. The Shelby of the East ha ha

I tried to tell em he'd run for his life now they know
Hey Purple1995, we were shooting for 20K on the Mount Airy vs Mitchell and wound up with I think you said 28K. We are at 22K with Mount Airy vs Draughn. Something about the NWC vs WHC, LOL.. And no deer talk this time. Also if Draughn was talking after the loss like MA did last year it would be even higher.

Last edited:
TD, Draughn fans were not sore losers. Come to a game and see for real. The players, coaches and fans were a class act last night, and Valdese and Burke County can be proud of that team. Yes, I am sure a few fans on a message board may get to you, but they don't represent the great school I saw last night. Also, winners should be gracious. We have eaten enough humble pie that we should never boast. Draughn, see you again.

One of the things that happen to a very good team that plays only the teams in front of them and uses those teams as the measure, well, they need to somehow find a way to measure themselves against teams they do not play.
It is not easy, I know. But to be real, coaches and fans have to find ways to see other top notch teams at least in the area. Whenever I can I go to see the Lake Norman's (4A) and their opponents, the Winston Salem 2A and 3A teams, etc or to watch MaxPrep videos of other teams. The videos are not as good and effective in my opinion but help measure your team against them.

I have already said the Draughn fans, coaches and players were the just the finest anyone could ask for. And they should be very proud of the team and its success.

But you can understand that they had no idea what kind of team they were up against in Mt Airy. Part because most of the Bears games were over at the end of the first or 2nd quarter. I would say a lot of us were unsure of the true amount of metal our boys had. Especial going into the Eastern Randolph game. That question got answered for us. It got answered for a lot of other people last night. To many it was shocking.

TD, Draughn fans were not sore losers. Come to a game and see for real. The players, coaches and fans were a class act last night, and Valdese and Burke County can be proud of that team. Yes, I am sure a few fans on a message board may get to you, but they don't represent the great school I saw last night. Also, winners should be gracious. We have eaten enough humble pie that we should never boast. Draughn, see you again.
This is just a thing between Purple1995 and myself. !!!!!! Message was meant for him only. This was said before on a thread using other words with no comment. But anyone can say what they please but me. Sorry, I upset you ! I do know they were a class act. Most teams like MA, when they lose they give a lot of congratulations to the losing team.

Last edited:
I have to say...i watch a ton of football all over the place...i stuck with my prediction of 40-17 since last week..this MA team is as good a 1a team in this area that has been seen in years excluding 2019 East Surry. Their defensive dominance rivals any 1a team i've seen in a long time...from this area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT