ADVERTISEMENT

Maiden at Reidsville

Up until last year teams used to play 11 games with one being an endowment. Playoffs expanded to 64 per division in 2002? There were 32 big, 32 small. A team had to win 5 games to win state championship so you played 16 if you went all the way.

Someone complained the season was too long so the NCHSAA offered a solution. They cut a week off the regular season but kept 64 teams in each division. They eliminated the big and small. Now teams play 10 games but have to play 6 rounds to go to state championship. Net result is still 16 games. Guessed the good folks in Chapel Hill figured no onw would notice. Playoffs make them money no matter what NCHSAA says.

If we agree that the season is too long the only plausible solution would be to do cut number of teams that qualify. Whether Chapel Hill will do that is the question. Someone with more resources and time that I have might be able to answer this question. What is the average point differential between winners and losers in the first round compared to each subsequent round? I hypothesize that the differential is significantly greater in round one than rounds two and beyond. The reason would be obvious. There are currently a lot of bad teams that make it and get blown out in that first round. I also wonder what the NCHSAA makes on those first round blowouts? A lot of people are not paying $6 or $7 to watch a running clock.

And interesting little confluence of streams from both sides! Made all the more interesting when influential, upper crust neighbors descend from the heights to add a little class to the landscape!
One little bit of trivia and I promise to stop about this: The creek bed which goes under both streets and in front and beside your house was once the the road from uptown to Ramsour's Mill, that according to the county historian who passed away in September, whom you would have known. I'm sure I'll forget it, but if you remind me I'll pass more on this along to you.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

One little bit of trivia and I promise to stop about this: The creek bed which goes under both streets and in front and beside your house was once the the road from uptown to Ramsour's Mill, that according to the county historian who passed away in September, whom you would have known. I'm sure I'll forget it, but if you remind me I'll pass more on this along to you.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Done. If by chance I recall anything about it when next we meet.

Interesting question.

Weigh in, Rams
I am the Fella referred to. And I do think that is a very excellent question. I don't think all those making all the arguments and bragging about accomplishment consider this issue. I have made it a point to argue that East Surry's success is probably greater than any other team playing 2a (ADM 588). I calculated that in the first round of the western bracket 68% of the winning teams was from the larger school. I calculated that the first couple of days after round 1. I don't believe that is a statistical anomaly. It makes perfect sense that the larger school would win more. That is exactly why they have A-AAAA classifications, it brings about fairness. When we had the dual classification 1a and 1AA and so forth, the NCHSAA could have very well named the classes A through AAAAAAAAA (8 of them). That would have satisfied us rams, that we have indeed won a unified title (though no such title even exist). When thinking about available talent I guess the available talent pool would be all of Rockingham County. Comparison Rockingham county pop. 91,000 High school's ADM 3,511, 3.9% of pop. Cleveland county pop, 99,000 HS ADM 4,054 , 4% of pop. If you ran that same test against all counties I bet that about 4% of a community is in High School. If so Maidens ADM would only be 148. Reidsville would be 580. With Maiden having and ADM of 840 that would mean there is a lot more going on in Maiden than football. (just kidding) Reidsville (ADM 723) like Maiden is getting students from outlying areas.

Numbers make sense when you look at them. I will give the Grizz some credit for that.

Earlier in the year two very good and highly ranked teams ,both still in hunt in different classifications, played one ADM was 947 one was 1143. Kings Mountain and Burns guess who had the higher ADM?

I will check on this a little more.

I am the Fella referred to. And I do think that is a very excellent question. I don't think all those making all the arguments and bragging about accomplishment consider this issue. I have made it a point to argue that East Surry's success is probably greater than any other team playing 2a (ADM 588). I calculated that in the first round of the western bracket 68% of the winning teams was from the larger school. I calculated that the first couple of days after round 1. I don't believe that is a statistical anomaly. It makes perfect sense that the larger school would win more. That is exactly why they have A-AAAA classifications, it brings about fairness. When we had the dual classification 1a and 1AA and so forth, the NCHSAA could have very well named the classes A through AAAAAAAAA (8 of them). That would have satisfied us rams, that we have indeed won a unified title (though no such title even exist). When thinking about available talent I guess the available talent pool would be all of Rockingham County. Comparison Rockingham county pop. 91,000 High school's ADM 3,511, 3.9% of pop. Cleveland county pop, 99,000 HS ADM 4,054 , 4% of pop. If you ran that same test against all counties I bet that about 4% of a community is in High School. If so Maidens ADM would only be 148. Reidsville would be 580. With Maiden having and ADM of 840 that would mean there is a lot more going on in Maiden than football. (just kidding) Reidsville (ADM 723) like Maiden is getting students from outlying areas.

Numbers make sense when you look at them. I will give the Grizz some credit for that.

Earlier in the year two very good and highly ranked teams ,both still in hunt in different classifications, played one ADM was 947 one was 1143. Kings Mountain and Burns guess who had the higher ADM?

Reidsville adm is more than 723. Its closer to 800.

Fella earlier pointed out that Reidsville high school is smaller than Maiden....I'm wondering what other high schoolse in Reidsville? A lot of talent in 14,500 population

Reidsville could be 3a imo, if they spread the numbers like it should be between rockingham high and Reidsville. Reidsville at least gets the talent out of the two.

Reactions: Maiden Creek

Eloquently put...I believe the point i was leaning towards making is that though our ADM is higher, Reidsville talent pool is much larger...hence the sustained success.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Eloquently put...I believe the point i was leaning towards making is that though our ADM is higher, Reidsville talent pool is much larger...hence the sustained success.
That response has just been rolling around in my head. I saw someone reply from the east about the fact that a schools district is much larger in the east than western schools district. He said the larger geographic area make it harder on parents to even get kids home from practice. I never thought about that. Lots of factors. Most of them are measurable.

I'll be there.. Maiden football comes first before work and career 😂😂
When a person dies, I've wondered if maybe their spirit flits, unseen, around places and people that they enjoyed being around while they were living. If they do, and Coach Brown would have seen what you said about Maiden football coming first, I think he would say "I understand that. It's what you call dedication".

@Lincolnton u could of at least posted the Sammy Kershaw version of 3rd rate romance
Oh, and by the way, don't you get into no trouble at the game. If you get arrested over there they take you to a place called Wentworth. That would be like getting took to Claremont.

Last edited:
When a person dies, I've wondered if maybe their spirit flits, unseen, around places and people that they enjoyed being around while they were living. If they do, and Coach Brown would have seen what you said about Maiden football coming first, I think he would say "I understand that. It's what you call dedication".

Oh, and by the way, don't you get into no trouble at the game. If you get arrested over there they take you to a place called Wentworth. That would be like getting took to Claremont.

Not to worry about Wentworth. The Rockingham County Sheriff is none other than former Reidsville Ram Sam Page. He will be on the Reidsville side lines watching from the track Friday night.

I am sure he would take special care of our visiting friends from Maiden. In fact, I'll put in a special word to Sam for you!!;)

Watched a interview of the Maiden HC. Sounds like he's been around the program his whole life. Talked about the way you guys fan base travels. Will be nice to see full visitor side.
His dad was a defensive coordinator for as forever as long as I can remember in my life. Then he played along with his two other brothers at maiden. Then got some coaching experience at other schools before returning home

Not to worry about Wentworth. The Rockingham County Sheriff is none other than former Reidsville Ram Sam Page. He will be on the Reidsville side lines watching from the track Friday night.

I am sure he would take special care of our visiting friends from Maiden. In fact, I'll put in a special word to Sam for you!!;)
The Mule, thank you my friend. I have absolutely NO doubt if you ask the sheriff to look after our friends from Maiden he will surely do it.
You’re like OC Davis, Cheerduck and Maiden Creek, there are people on other continents who know and respect you guys, not to mention locally and across the state.

Lol coach Byrne's said in the interview "you gotta come to play every week to play in our conference " then he said "well maybe except for one" ummm I wonder who he was talking about 😂😂

Somewhere over in Maiden some Devil fan is saying:

"I don't know honey, we could just go over to your mama's tomorrow night watch some of her Ric Flair videos, I done seen 'em play 13 times, won't hurt to miss one. I can catch 'em next week when it will be a little closer to home. You know Burns or Monroe is closer."

Somewhere over in Maiden some Devil fan is saying:

"I don't know honey, we could just go over to your mama's tomorrow night watch some of her Ric Flair videos, I done seen 'em play 13 times, won't hurt to miss one. I can catch 'em next week when it will be a little closer to home. You know Burns or Monroe is closer."
Haha...no one is saying that over here....it's more like:

"Honey I know we always go to your mom's for dinner after black Friday shopping, but I'm leaving at 3pm to go to Reidsville. If you wanna go, be ready at 230 because I ain't leaving late."

Here I am trying to help save your school name from the little white girls and you want reidsville to lose. I’m hurt. 🤣
It’s all good 90. We haven’t had to deal with that bunch much this year. I’m sure at some point they will crawl out from under their rock again. I’ve never been to Reidsville but it’s probably a nice place. Maiden is a neat town for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT