ADVERTISEMENT

Just curious

Kylar2018

Jul 16, 2019
I've seen a few posts were alot of fans are saying Murphy will not win another state title when they consolidate with two other schools making them a 2a school.

Just a question from an outsiders point of view. Are some of you posters and Bulldog fans basically admitting that Murphy can't compete with the likes of Reidsville, Shelby, or Hibriten?

Because Murphy has a damn strong tradition. I was abit shocked to hear ppl say this.

I think Murphy has had teams that could have been in the running in small 2A, which I think is what the new school will be. But the new school may not be what Murphy is. New coach, new feeder structure, etc. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I could see them going to the regional 2 or 3 times a decade and going to State 1 or 2 times a decade.
I looking at Washington county and Smoky Mtn.

I've seen a few posts were alot of fans are saying Murphy will not win another state title when they consolidate with two other schools making them a 2a school.

Just a question from an outsiders point of view. Are some of you posters and Bulldog fans basically admitting that Murphy can't compete with the likes of Reidsville, Shelby, or Hibriten?

Because Murphy has a damn strong tradition. I was abit shocked to hear ppl say this.
Shelby is a different animal, no offense to any school on the list you just produced but Shelby is a cut above in my opinion, their talent pool year to year is nothing like a 2AA team. Reidsville isnt that far behind Shelby but the gap between them and everyone else is not as pronounced as it is with Shelby in my opinion. Hibriten is a good football school but they don't belong in the same category as those two schools.

As far as ever winning titles in 2A, it depends. If they are small 2A (which they probably will be) I think they would eventually. But we are talking about only having the talent to seriously contend on occasion, it would definitely be a less frequent thing than it is for Murphy in 1A.

But yeah, I think they would occasionally have a realistic shot at it in small 2A if they have the right culture and coaching staff in place but those are pretty big "ifs".

Last edited:
I could see them going to the regional 2 or 3 times a decade and going to State 1 or 2 times a decade.
I looking at Washington county and Smoky Mtn.
I think they could go to regionals a little more frequently than that in small 2A, the field aside from Reidsville in the west isnt that daunting. I pretty much agree with you on state title appearances though.

All that is dependent though on the Murphy football culture carrying over and the right coaching staff being in place, which like I said is certainly far from a guarantee.

People point to Smoky Mountain as an example of consolidation not being the sum of the parts but another factor they dont include is that for whatever reason Smoky Mountain simply did not and still doesn't have the athletes Sylva-Webster did.

By the time Smoky had opened Sylva-Webster was already on a bit of a downslope, there was no more Tommy Love's or Steve, Jimmy and Eric Streater's walking the halls.

Last edited:
Reactions: therealsquid
They will be very similar to mountain heritage
Murphy and Heritage are already on a similar level, a consolidated school's ceiling is higher than Heritage if everything goes right.

But there's no way to know how it will go, the consolidated school may be another Washington County.

Last edited:
Everything going right is key. It’ll be someone’s job when gentry is gone not to wreck the car. Also, recruiting the other two schools best players and convincing them they’ll be treated fairly is always a hurdle.

Reactions: mbdfan
Everything going right is key. It’ll be someone’s job when gentry is gone not to wreck the car. Also, recruiting the other two schools best players and convincing them they’ll be treated fairly is always a hurdle.
I would all but guarantee the consolidated school will lose some Hiwassee Dam kids to Copper Basin (some already go there for football) and Andrews kids to Robbinsville in the early going. They're going to need a real good athletic director and coaching staff in place to unite the county and get everyone on the same page in the long run.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Things change. Teams don't always stay dominate. Who says the new school runs the Wing T? Don't forget the 1AA champions took Reidsville down this year.

As I've said if you build that mentality of we're done then it will rub off on the kids.

What about Tarboro? Yes 1AA but until they ran into East Surry they had rolled everyone with that. South Point runs some form of a triple option and they've had really good seasons. I think Hibriten does too.

Just wait and see, Shelby or Reidsville are not Robbinsville.
You got that much right at least. And unless Shelby drops down to small 2A, they will only see one of them.

Robbinsville isn't prime Albemarle or Wallace Rose Hill either and Murphy more than held their own in their battles with them. A consolidated school will be fine if they get the right staff in there.

Reactions: Mhsneer
You got that much right at least. And unless Shelby drops down to small 2A, they will only see one of them.

Robbinsville isn't prime Albemarle or Wallace Rose Hill either and Murphy more than held their own in their battles with them. A consolidated school will be fine if they get the right staff in there.
Lol...Robbinsville has had teams that could "more than hold their own" with anybody that murphy could.

I would love to see Hibriten play Murphy or Robbinsville. Once this new school is created any idea which conference they'll be in and how will this affect the former 3 schools nonconference schedule since it'll be just 1 school in that county

Lol...Robbinsville has had teams that could "more than hold their own" with anybody that murphy could.
Murphy's very best is a little better than your very best. As it should be, Murphy is a bigger school. But I'm not going to get in a pissing contest about it.

Last edited:
I would love to see Hibriten play Murphy or Robbinsville. Once this new school is created any idea which conference they'll be in and how will this affect the former 3 schools nonconference schedule since it'll be just 1 school in that county

I’m guessing if they are in a 2A league and not a split league, non conference play for the new school would probably look a good bit like conference play for the old schools.

In 09 Robbinsville lost by one to mt airy in western finals
WRH beat Mt airy by one the next week.
In my opinion Robbinsville should've won that mt airy game.

Reactions: mbdfan
Robbinsville was the best team in small 1A that year in my opinion, just a little unlucky.

No...murphy best and tradition is not a little better...!
I didnt say anything about tradition. You sound emotional.

In their best years Murphy has more depth and more speed (lineman and coaching is a push) than Robbinsville in their best years. Murphy has had between 100 to 250 more kids than Robbinsville over the last twenty years, so of course they would have more depth generally. The speed part is mostly a demographic thing but numbers don't hurt (if it were really numbers then Swain would have more speed than Robbinsville but they almost never do).

I may be wrong but I don't think most Robbinsville people would even debate those points.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
All you needed was a kicker, i agree

In their best years Murphy has more depth and more speed (lineman and coaching is a push) than Robbinsville in their best years. Murphy has had between 100 to 250 more kids than Robbinsville over the last twenty years, so of course they would have more depth generally. The speed part is mostly a demographic thing but numbers don't hurt (if it were really numbers then Swain would have more speed than Robbinsville but they almost never do).

I may be wrong but I don't think most Robbinsville people would even debate those points.
It would be a heck of a game between the 1976 or 1980 Knights against Murphys best

But I did say something about tradition..which is actually fact based..while our best is better than your best is hypothetical. You sound defensive.

It would be a heck of a game between the 1976 or 1980 Knights against Murphys best
I was more so talking last 20 or 25 years I guess. But yeah, '76 and '80 Robbinsville against '70 and '74 Murphy teams would be fun games to see. '78 Murphy would've won a state title with Gentry coaching them.

Last edited:
I was more so talking last 20 or 25 years I guess. But yeah, '76 and '80 Robbinsville against '70 and '74 Murphy teams would be fun games to see. '78 Murphy would've won a state title with Gentry coaching them.
I assumed the best Murphy team was 87?

I assumed the best Murphy team was 87?
'87 best all around for sure, '86 the best defense probably. I just think the teams I listed would be better matchups for the Robbinsville teams you listed.

A lot of old timers vouch for the '74 Murphy team though. I mean they did beat Jimmy and Steve Streater that year and Murphy had what a lot of older people say is the best RB to come through the SMC in Willie Brown.

Reactions: therealsquid
They use to laugh at the wishbone too till you try to defend triple option your clueless as to how disciplined you have to be

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT