ADVERTISEMENT

HC Opening in the SMC

Everyone in rhe smc is dropping except Robbinsville. We seem to stay the same. 340-370.
Back in 2001 i think, we had 305 or so.
Cherokee has gained but i think that is because of the rule change a few years ago.

I remember swain fan exploding when i said they was going to experience a down turn because of the rule. I think i was right in part.

so you can't blame the decline in students across the board in Clay and Cherokee Counties just on the EC.
I wasn't, the downturn in the economy around the same time the early college started was/is the biggest contributor to the enrollment decrease, you see the same thing in the eastern region of the state. Consolidation is ramping up out east: Washington County, Vance County, Montgomery County and soon Martin County. Just a matter of time before it hits the last holdouts in the mountains: Cherokee and Transylvania County.

Since the year TCEC opened (06), Murphy is down 117 students (587 to 470, 20 %), Andrews is down 57 students (266 to 209, 22%), and Hayesville is down 62 students (432 to 370, 15%). That's close to 250 students between the three--not even counting HDHS--and the ECs' ADM is only 138, so you can't blame the decline in students across the board in Clay and Cherokee Counties just on the EC.
Recon why we never hear about a star linebacker or a stud running getting put in the EC

Do any kids in Snowbird ever leave and go to Cherokee and does Robbinsville still count them?
nope the Snowbird kids would never go to Cherokee, the Snowbird kids are valued at Rville as part of the dynasty and always will be.

Don't never say never son!! So tha kids tha attend early college can't participate in sports!??

Well..... Bobby Petrino is looking for a job. What SMC school will be calling?

Anymore word coming from bryson city on coaching moves? And ive herd one well established coach here in the mountains call hayesville " a very solid job" and another head coach at larger school say " id definitely be interested if they reached out"

And ive herd one well established coach here in the mountains call hayesville " a very solid job" and another head coach at larger school say " id definitely be interested if they reached out"
Interesting. Hayesville does have some perks, like nice facilities and a solid athlete base. Its the matter of whether or not someone can come in and make football important there, a priority. I cant see it because I dont think its a priority for the administration either, but Id be happy to be proven wrong. The more competitive the rest of the SMC is, the better.

Reactions: MilltownUSA
Hayesville reminds me of a smaller franklin 20 yrs ago.." basketball school..ect ect.." a lot of reasons why it can't succeed..franklin has had 1 losing season since 2001 and 7conf titles 4 undefeated reg seasons..i say that to say with the right staff in place hayesville is a really good job and winning brings unseen excitement...just my two cents worth..it will be intersting to see who hayesville reaches out to.

Here's the thing. In North Carolina charter schools are not bound by laws and rules that the public schools are. Public schools education boards are elected by people living in that county , charter schools board are private. So yes they have thier rules and I'm sure there is a long waiting list to get in. But say you have a charter board that's more into building a sports program then another charter is, there is no state law that I can if that keeps them from finding and recuit student athletes and putting them in front of the line and putting them in that school, just like the private schools in a Asheville have give tuition free scholarships to athletes in public schools in Buncombe county and else where to come to thier school except the difference is private schools have thier own league and playoffs. But don't tell me that if you had a charter school that really wants to build a football or basketball team and no law on the books to keep them from it wouldn't give preferable treatment to an athlete that could help them. And not accusing MIC or TJ of doing this I'm just saying they could if they want. And as far as public schools go I believe unless you have a kid's parent work as a teacher or coach in another county that you can only play sports in the county you live in, I'm glad at least they changed the rule were they have to sit out a year but I wouldn't let them play period.

Hayesville reminds me of a smaller franklin 20 yrs ago.." basketball school..ect ect.." a lot of reasons why it can't succeed..franklin has had 1 losing season since 2001 and 7conf titles 4 undefeated reg seasons..i say that to say with the right staff in place hayesville is a really good job and winning brings unseen excitement...just my two cents worth..it will be intersting to see who hayesville reaches out to.
Hayesville and Franklin are two different places in my opinion. Franklin has a lot bigger pool of kids to pull from. Since Hayesville's last winning season in 2007, I believe they have had 5 different head coaches from 2008 to present, (Neil Setzer, Gary Miller, Ernie Hughes, Mitch Myers, Kenneth Dockery). All of these coaches have had similar results during that 11 season stretch. Maybe there is another reason their not successful.

The athletic material just been down at hayesville in all 3 team sports. Just my opinion...havent had top 3 smc football talent since early 2000's....

Reactions: SMC REDNECK
Hayesville and Franklin are two different places in my opinion. Franklin has a lot bigger pool of kids to pull from. Since Hayesville's last winning season in 2007, I believe they have had 5 different head coaches from 2008 to present, (Neil Setzer, Gary Miller, Ernie Hughes, Mitch Myers, Kenneth Dockery). All of these coaches have had similar results during that 11 season stretch. Maybe there is another reason their not successful.
One of those guys went 5-5 w a nfl tailback at franklin

Reactions: knine1 and mbdfan
One of those guys went 5-5 w a nfl tailback at franklin
So what I'm hearing is its all the coaching at Hayesville is the reason their not winning? Have you watched Hayesville play? Do you honestly think that they have the talent to compete with Murphy, Robbinsville, Swain, Union Co, Mountain Heritage, Cherokee??

Point I was making is that in the 11 years since their last winning season, they have had 5 different Head Coaches, from all different backgrounds and all different experience level. Maybe it's not all the coaching. Remember it's not about the X's and O's it's about the Bubbas and Joes.

Reactions: farmersonly
Your puttimg words in my mouth..never said that coaching was the problem..simply stated a fact that one of the names on that list was head coach at franklin and won 5 games w 4 d1 athletes and an nfl players so yep sometimes its about the xs and os also..just my opinion sounds like hayesville simply needs a different attitude..i believe it can be a good job but all ive heard is how it can't...franklin was in same boat in 2001..one winning season in like 15 years. Now they've made playoffs 19 yrs in a row amd had one losing season (5-7) so not taking a shot at anyone or any kid...just believe hayesville can win..i actually believe w right staff in place any program in wnc can win...but thats just my opinion

Your puttimg words in my mouth..never said that coaching was the problem..simply stated a fact that one of the names on that list was head coach at franklin and won 5 games w 4 d1 athletes and an nfl players so yep sometimes its about the xs and os also..just my opinion sounds like hayesville simply needs a different attitude..i believe it can be a good job but all ive heard is how it can't...franklin was in same boat in 2001..one winning season in like 15 years. Now they've made playoffs 19 yrs in a row amd had one losing season (5-7) so not taking a shot at anyone or any kid...just believe hayesville can win..i actually believe w right staff in place any program in wnc can win...but thats just my opinion
Well said. I do however believe that it's more difficult to win in certain places than others, for whatever reason: School size, tradition, etc.

I believe that if they would have stayed healthy and not lost their two best players before the second game they could have competed better against Robbinsville and Cherokee. They would have beaten Swain if they had everyone! The last game against Rosman they had 10 of their 22 starters out! No coach can overcome those odds!

Your puttimg words in my mouth..never said that coaching was the problem..simply stated a fact that one of the names on that list was head coach at franklin and won 5 games w 4 d1 athletes
who were the other 3 besides Bryson and where did they play?

Mitch Myers almost ran Murphy's football program into the ground, so his coaching chops (or lack thereof) is well documented. According to people at the time, Murphy had a state title caliber team in '78 with one of Murphy's greatest ever athletes in Ricky Lyles the feature attraction and he couldn't get them out of the first round of the playoffs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT