ADVERTISEMENT

HC Opening in the SMC

According to mapquest CSOD is 22 miles from Charlotte.

Hough HS is in Cornelius which is 5 miles from CSD. Mallard Creek is 17 miles away. North Meck HS is 7 miles away. Mooresville HS is 7 miles away. Vance HS is 13 miles away. Just to name a FEW top programs in 4A where kids who play football would rather go than hopefully get selected in a lottery with over 2500 kids on wait list. Definitely no advantage here. CSD is the #1 charter school in NC and its not for sports.

Hough HS is in Cornelius which is 5 miles from CSD. Mallard Creek is 17 miles away. North Meck HS is 7 miles away. Mooresville HS is 7 miles away. Vance HS is 13 miles away. Just to name a FEW top programs in 4A where kids who play football would rather go than hopefully get selected in a lottery with over 2500 kids on wait list. Definitely no advantage here. CSD is the #1 charter school in NC and its not

You draw from alot of ppl. Put lipstick on it if you want but its not convincing me.

I don't care if you HIRE Nick Saban or Kirby Smart !!!
It's going to be hard to win at Hayesville.

Ok - I guess I should hear you out. What advantage does a charter school with a lottery system of an over 2500 wait list have? We may get 30 new kids into the HS a year, and who knows boy/girl ratio... we play with what we have. Same as any other school. Now charter schools WITHOUT wait lists because academics might not be that good...those schools certainly can “recruit” kids away from some public teams...Even if CSD wanted a kid - zero chance on getting him in with such a long wait list. I’d say we are at a disadvantage because of that compared to public schools who let everyone in with a “valid” address.

WILLFULLY BLIND if you can't see a charter school drawing from several million people in a large metro area has an advantage over traditional 1A public schools.... there is NO argument there......the only question is what do 1A publics eventually do about it....I hope they take the actions that 1a's in Georgia did and play hard ball......they gave Georgia association a choice, the charters/privates or us......the sooner the 1A publics organize and take action the better

WILLFULLY BLIND if you can't see a charter school drawing from several million people in a large metro area has an advantage over traditional 1A public schools.... there is NO argument there......the only question is what do 1A publics eventually do about it....I hope they take the actions that 1a's in Georgia did and play hard ball......they gave Georgia association a choice, the charters/privates or us......the sooner the 1A publics organize and take action the better

I still don’t think you understand that anyone can get into a public 1A school where as our school has a 2500 wait list for anyone to get in. It’s not like someone can just choose to go to CSD and get in. We get whoever the lottery selects in. It’s not like a kid who is a great athlete can move to Davidson and say, I want to play football at CSD, apply and get in and play. If someone were to move to a 1A public school area, however, they get in no problem. Having a hard time understanding how you don’t get that?

Others must think like I do because other states have done things about it. Like multiple their enrollment.

Why though? Murphy and Swain as far as demographics so it shouldn't matter.
Murphy and Swain do not have the same demographics. And you've already been informed of why Hayesville can not, football is not priority at Hayesville.

Murphy and Swain do not have the same demographics. And you've already been informed of why Hayesville can not, football is not priority at Hayesville.

MBD do you think we are going to be 1AA Or 1A??

2500 waiting list but the athletes always seem to get in ,hmm?

which school are you talking about? CSD has got 35 on the team and only 4 freshman..and every kid has been at CSD since they were lotteried in via elementary school.

Pretty much the entire smc has the same demographics. That really doesn't change till you get close to Asheville. So it has to be what you said as far as the effort out in

I still don’t think you understand that anyone can get into a public 1A school where as our school has a 2500 wait list for anyone to get in. It’s not like someone can just choose to go to CSD and get in. We get whoever the lottery selects in. It’s not like a kid who is a great athlete can move to Davidson and say, I want to play football at CSD, apply and get in and play. If someone were to move to a 1A public school area, however, they get in no problem. Having a hard time understanding how you don’t get that?
5555, I ask this because I honestly don’t know. How does the lottery work? Is it handled by an independent third party with checks and balances to prevent abuse?

Pretty much the entire smc has the same demographics. That really doesn't change till you get close to Asheville. So it has to be what you said as far as the effort out in
Once again Murphy and Swain's demographics are definitely different. Don't speak on something you are just making assumptions on. Not claiming any school in the SMC is as diversified as some of the Buncombe County schools but its definitely more diverse than your broad stroke generalizations.

Last edited:
Anyone can't get in a public school. District boundaries typically prohibit that type of action. Sorry

Right - no kidding. But, my point was that if I wanted my kid to play for Murphy, I’d move to Murphy and enroll him in school and BAM, he gets in. If I wanted my kid to play for CSD, I couldn’t just move to Davidson or Huntersville, or Mooresville or wherever and enroll him in CSD. The odds of him getting accepted are extremely rare. Again, no advantage there.

5555, I ask this because I honestly don’t know. How does the lottery work? Is it handled by an independent third party with checks and balances to prevent abuse?

Depends on the school. I have a ton of friends who are so frustrated they can’t get their kids in to a charter school around here. Some wait lists are longer than others. CSD happens to be the longest one in the state. There is ZERO wiggle room for abuse at CSD and most reputable charters in the area. There are others however that probably don’t abide by the same standards..

Ok sport dude, you sound so believable!! Nothin fishy!! Tha story checks out!!!!

Rrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiggggggghhhtttt!!!

Reactions: BK13T-$
Right - no kidding. But, my point was that if I wanted my kid to play for Murphy, I’d move to Murphy and enroll him in school and BAM, he gets in. If I wanted my kid to play for CSD, I couldn’t just move to Davidson or Huntersville, or Mooresville or wherever and enroll him in CSD. The odds of him getting accepted are extremely rare. Again, no advantage there.

Depends on the school. I have a ton of friends who are so frustrated they can’t get their kids in to a charter school around here. Some wait lists are longer than others. CSD happens to be the longest one in the state. There is ZERO wiggle room for abuse at CSD and most reputable charters in the area. There are others however that probably don’t abide by the same standards..
I'm not going to pretend that I'm some expert on CSD. What I will ask you is this: have you seen the success that Lincoln Charter has had in basketball? Miraculously each year they load their roster with D-1 level basket ball talent. Their Cross Country program is exactly the same. How about MIC's football roster? They "randomly" draw D-1 talent each year as well as a roster of new juniors? There was a charter in Durham (Kestrel Heights?) that was dominant in basketball and finally got their hands called for cheating and was forced to fold. There is just zero way that these consistent athletic successes happen with a true unbiased lottery system. On top of this, most of these charters are in populous areas where there are a huge number of high school aged students to pull from. Yes, you may be close to all of those 4A programs that you named, but in reality, your QB would not play at those schools. He's a very good 1A QB but a spec on the map at Mallard Creek. That is even further incentive for these marginal 4A athletes to try to attend a charter which is classified as 1A ... immediately playing time and success. Like I said, I'm not accusing CSD of anything, because I don't know anything about you. I'll flat out tell you that Lincoln Charter and MICS recruit and bypass their lottery. There is no other way that they end up with what they have.

I have a question. I have been told that the lottery system does not apply to the waiting list. Also that many students that are selected in the lottery do not show up and the school selects their replacement. Is this accurate or an urban legend ?

I'm not going to pretend that I'm some expert on CSD. What I will ask you is this: have you seen the success that Lincoln Charter has had in basketball? Miraculously each year they load their roster with D-1 level basket ball talent. Their Cross Country program is exactly the same. How about MIC's football roster? They "randomly" draw D-1 talent each year as well as a roster of new juniors? There was a charter in Durham (Kestrel Heights?) that was dominant in basketball and finally got their hands called for cheating and was forced to fold. There is just zero way that these consistent athletic successes happen with a true unbiased lottery system. On top of this, most of these charters are in populous areas where there are a huge number of high school aged students to pull from. Yes, you may be close to all of those 4A programs that you named, but in reality, your QB would not play at those schools. He's a very good 1A QB but a spec on the map at Mallard Creek. That is even further incentive for these marginal 4A athletes to try to attend a charter which is classified as 1A ... immediately playing time and success. Like I said, I'm not accusing CSD of anything, because I don't know anything about you. I'll flat out tell you that Lincoln Charter and MICS recruit and bypass their lottery. There is no other way that they end up with what they have.

I completely agree. There isn’t much of a lottery at Lincoln Charter and MICS because they aren’t desirable schools. No one wants to go there. Lincoln is in Denver and MICS has a football field before an actual school. Again, CSD actually has a wait list, no way around it, and our kids have been in program since elementary school. Not all charter schools cheat the system.

Reactions: GreyGod623
I have a question. I have been told that the lottery system does not apply to the waiting list. Also that many students that are selected in the lottery do not show up and the school selects their replacement. Is this accurate or an urban legend ?

All of it is an urban legend. The lottery has everything to do with the wait list. If youre apply and aren’t selected via lottery - you go on wait list. If someone selected decides to go elsewhere, the kid who is 1 gets in. And then 2 becomes 1 on the list and so on. As you can imagine - not many turn down when selected so having a wait list is a bit pointless.

All of it is an urban legend. The lottery has everything to do with the wait list. If youre apply and aren’t selected via lottery - you go on wait list. If someone selected decides to go elsewhere, the kid who is 1 gets in. And then 2 becomes 1 on the list and so on. As you can imagine - not many turn down when selected so having a wait list is a bit pointless.
Guess that brings up two questions. If you are on the waiting list, do you have to reapply every year and the waiting list starts over each year? And is any independent identity monitoring the process?

Here’s an example from the adult world. Let’s suppose a company wants to have “random” drug testing. Not preemployment, or post accident. In that example, the only legal way to have random testing is to have an independent source make the random selection. The company can’t legally choose who is “random”. So, is there the same type of standard for the charter school lottery?

I have no idea which charter schools are trying to cheat the system. But the circumstantial evidence appears to be pretty strong that some are. That, to me, is the issue that the NCHSAA needs to tackle.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
I believe the lottery also determines the wait list order, and that the wait list starts over after a new lottery each year. Some good info at the link below.

http://www.csdspartans.org/enrolling

Correct - the wait list is reset every year. Waitlist doesn’t mean much honestly when there are 2500 applications for 40 spots. Most of the time the 40 kids will go. If you are 1-10 on the waitlist, you have a chance, other than that - it’s pointless.

I like most folk who have previously attended a public school, are obviously skeptical of Charter and Magnet Schools, due to the fact that some seem to manage to lure more atheletic rather than academic minded students, and examples have been provided above...

I will say after reading the link that OAR provided that it does appear that CSOD is trying to do things the right way, but as ocdavis mentioned above, what type of oversight is provided to prevent abuses, and are either the Coaches or ADs involved at all with the lottery system for Charters and Magnet schools?

I think that most logical folk just want the NCHSAA to take a more active role in making sure that Charter or Magnet schools are not being given a decided advantage on the atheletic fields and gyms...Based on the results the last few years in 1A championship games involving sports other than football, that doesn't seem to be the case....It just seems to be a biased system that allows some schools to recruit talent that public schools don't have the opportunity to do, which creates an unfair talent advantage since most public schools are limited by district lines....I think the NCHSAA recognized that there was a problem, so they relaxed the transfer rules for public schools in the last year or so, but that still doesn't address the fact that some Charter or Magnet schools can actively pursue atheletes to make their respective programs stronger, making it possible to achieve desired atheletic goals, which have been realized by several Charter or Magnet schools in recent years....I don't have to name those schools because folks know who they are....

I think that there needs to be a uniform system established by the state, so that all the Charter and Magnet schools are playing by the same rules, and are not being given an advantage that some schools seem to have today.....

My two cents!

Mountie you worry about you 300lb mommy being able to get out of her recliner to fix you a PBandJ sandwich tonight before you play dungeons and Dragons in her basement.

Once again Murphy and Swain's demographics are definitely different. Don't speak on something you are just making assumptions on. Not claiming any school in the SMC is as diversified as some of the Buncombe County schools but its definitely more diverse than your broad stroke generalizations.

Yeah the SMC is known for their large urban areas. :confused:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT