ADVERTISEMENT

HC Opening in the SMC

Hate to hear that about my friend Kenneth!! Doubt there gonna get anybody as decent as him, be hard for nick saban to get tha W down there!! Hayesville use to be huge back in tha day!! They were good at everythin back then but that was in 02 and 03!! Hayesville fans, has there been any kinda rumor of who is beaten tha door down down that way to get that job!??

Reactions: recycled2
And when did it start bein so bad for a kid to play every sport in high school, in our conference we bout have too to field teams for everything!! And hayesville fans i didn't mean unz dont have tha athletes down there cause unz are ok in basketball and good in baseball, I meant that I know about good basketball players can't play or suggested to save there selves for basketball!! Be a hard situation for anyone who loves football to step into!!

A better question is who in the world would step in to the hayesville situation. A first time head coach trying to prove himself?

Actual the new coach will have a much better chance to post a winning record. Mountain Heritage and Rabun Gap come off the schedule and are being replace with a home school team and Tellico Plains. Towns Co had 18 seniors and will be way down. Copper Basin will also lose several seniors. The other non conference game is another small Tennessee team. If everyone comes back healthy and with the experience gained they could start 5-0.

Reactions: smcdom123
Always enjoyed my conversations with Coach Dockery even when he was an Assistant Coach for the Yellowjackets...Still remember him playing for Coach Gentry and Murphy back in the day, and wish nothing but the best for him and his family....

As for Swain, wonder if Heath Shuler would be interested in returning to his old stomping grounds?

Reactions: mbdfan
Everyone knows that Hayesville is known as a basketball school. But I am not so sure that any kid is discouraged from playing football because of it, unless it is from family, or simply a personal decision. Someone from Hayesville might be able to answer that one better. I do know that over the last few years, and this year is no exception, that they have had several key basketball players that were key footballers. There are a few that are potentially basketball starters this year out there on that field fighting, representing, and taking a risk and beating every Friday night to play this great game. It's hard to be good at everything, but I respect the fact that some of them try.

I think most of the basketball team plays football, and when they've had really good groups come through, they've been successful across the board. The last year Hayesville won the SMC in football was the same year they won state in basketball and went to the regional finals in baseball. A lot of the same kids on at least two of those teams including one who was all conference in baseball and football and all regional for the basketball team. The other year Hayesville won the SMC in football (97) came on the heels of a state finals hoops appearance with a lot of the same kids. There is maybe a more balanced focus, but kids aren't discouraged from multiple sports at Hayesville. Late 90s and early 2000s was a good wave of football talent for Hayesville, but like most small schools it ebbs and flows.

Last edited:
Everyone knows that Hayesville is known as a basketball school. But I am not so sure that any kid is discouraged from playing football because of it, unless it is from family, or simply a personal decision. Someone from Hayesville might be able to answer that one better. I do know that over the last few years, and this year is no exception, that they have had several key basketball players that were key footballers. There are a few that are potentially basketball starters this year out there on that field fighting, representing, and taking a risk and beating every Friday night to play this great game. It's hard to be good at everything, but I respect the fact that some of them try.

Of the 9 young men who went to most/all summer camps with the basketball team this year, 7 play football. I believe today is the first official day of basketball practice but the varsity boys are not starting till Monday due to most of the team being on the football field.

Reactions: CatDad312
With most smaller schools to be successful in sports you’re athletes have to play all 3 . If you have players concentrating on just one sport ,it hurts the other two. At rosman we have some good athletes just playing baseball that could really help with football and basketball. Not that is a bad thing , you just almost have to have them playing all 3

Wouldn't Swain keep the job for somebody on staff? That's what they usually do. I'm sure they have some assistants that are good and qualified.

And dominatin youth league don't always translate to dominatin varsity as we're seein now!!! Wish it did cause we have an alright gritty group comin thru to!!

71, you talkin bout tha napert that's with us right now!?? That's tha only place I've ever heard or seen that last name!!

The next coach at Robbinsville is on the sidelines for us now.

This isnt official. Could be small town gossip but for years I've heard Lucas Ford will be taking over. Take that with a grain of salt.

Murphy will stay in house as well when Gentry retires, I'd about guarantee that. Coach Watson and Coach Nelson are quality but I wish Campana would get back into coaching at some point, I think he would've been the perfect successor to Coach Gentry.

Wouldn't Swain keep the job for somebody on staff? That's what they usually do. I'm sure they have some assistants that are good and qualified.
Best of my knowledge last coach hired not from swain was Deitz...i have zero doubt that swain will go after chappell ..his interest level. I have no clue..but like most hires id say prepare for a rumor mill and politcal shit storm headed to bryson city if Blankenship does indeed step down

Speaking of Swain - looking at the data, CSD could very well draw Swain in the 1st round since they will go 1AA. I watched some tape - they look real real slow. How are they this year?

Not good by Swain standards. Lack the physicality of hallmark Swain teams and are extremely one dimensional offensively and without the speed or line to make that one dimension successful.

That’s what I saw on tape - I don’t think CSD would have a problem putting up 50 plus on them. Stopping the run though - always been a challenge for us

Swain would be favored

They are wayyyyy too slow to defend CSD. Whether or not CSD can stop their slow pace run effort..another story. CSD QB put up 425 yards passing and 6 total TD’s against Bessemer. He is 2nd in the state in passing and total yards. And they have a ton of speed. Would be a great matchup for a first round game in my opinion.

Murphy will stay in house as well when Gentry retires, I'd about guarantee that. Coach Watson and Coach Nelson are quality but I wish Campana would get back into coaching at some point, I think he would've been the perfect successor to Coach Gentry.
Is either 1 of them that you mentioned tha coach that announces unz home basketball games!??

You reckon gentry will retire this year, or go for the all-time wins record next season?
No disrespect intended but you know as well as I do Gentry will be the coach at Murphy next year to get the all time win record. Again, no disrespect intended but he’s got a pretty big ego, if you look up type A personality in the dictionary it says David Gentry. I can’t blame him for it after all his years at Murphy and all his success it would only be fitting. Can’t believe I just said that. Really make you appreciate what coach Colvin did in only 20 years. If he does hang it up all you can say ( love him or not ) is well done coach . Did you ever think you would hear a Knights fan spit something like that out.

Wouldn't Swain keep the job for somebody on staff? That's what they usually do. I'm sure they have some assistants that are good and qualified.[/QUOTE
Looks like Swain County wants change. They must go outside for that. Blankenship is the athletic director also so if they hire someone within, nothing will change. Same ole empty stands and no respect from the players. They say there are 14 coaches on staff at Swain. Fear the veer. Lol.

Went to college w campana. Very smart and student of the game...why did he get out of coaching?

Haha! Considering Hough and Mallard Creek are a stones throw away...I wouldn’t call a 500 student charter school an advantage..

Wow. Ok no charters have an advantage.
Mountie, i found another one for you.
Dude you are in denial.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT