ADVERTISEMENT

Freedom vs West Rowan

Mt.Ulla-falcon-fan

Jul 24, 2013
Don't know much about Freedom. Looking at their past season it appears that they beat teams with bad records but lose to teams with winning records. Do they like to pass or throw? How is their defense?
My Falcons have a good defense but are off and on when it comes to offense. What can we expect in Mt. Ulla this Friday night?

Know this probably doesn't mean much since it was the first game of the season but their offense was like watching a bad elementary school team trying to line up and run right then left ...

And I am not trying to be mean but it was horrible to put it as nice as I can .... surely they have progressed a tad over the course of the season but don't foresee them making any noise except the collective gasp from their fan base wondering why they are so bad with such good looking athletic kids ....

That's is what is so mind boggling ! They pass the eye test but when it comes to X's and O's something is amiss

I am not big on a coach using the same "sophisticated" approach every year. I think what you do should have a great deal to do with what talent you have. Why run a spread with no speed? Why have a traditional running game with a weak O-line?. Why try to run outside when you have a north south running back?
It amazes me how some coaches run the same offense year after year after year no matter what talent or skill players they have. I understand developing a system so that kids can grow and learn from a freshman to a senior but often times keeping it simple and using your skill players correctly is the most important thing.
Our coaches at West are a perfect example of how I think it should be done. They have adapted what they do on offense based on the skill they have. Yes we have lost three games. However all but the one loss to Davie I felt we could have won had few thing fell our way. Yes, even the HR game.
Our coaches have done a fantastic job of putting kids where they can be successful and contribute as much as possible. They have made big changes. They have moved seniors to new positions. They run several simple offensive sets. I have been impressed with there willingness to change from what they normally would like to do.
I hear new things are in the mix for the playoffs. Win or lose we are getting 100% from the kids we have and I am a happy fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Otis4411
Freedom runs several formations..... each usually has a different QB. we run spread, wing, and a power I known as stack I. The last is the craziest thing ever seen, but has been productive at times. Freedom has a veteran O Line, good receivers, and good backs but have struggled to produce offensively. Freedom will be very fortunate to win this game but stranger things have happened.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but Mt Ulla can you tell me a little about Central Cabarrus? Running or passing team? I see they beat Concord, lost big to you guys, lost to Cox Mill.....hard to figure them out.

Freedom runs several formations..... each usually has a different QB. we run spread, wing, and a power I known as stack I. The last is the craziest thing ever seen, but has been productive at times. Freedom has a veteran O Line, good receivers, and good backs but have struggled to produce offensively. Freedom will be very fortunate to win this game but stranger things have happened.
I thought HC Brandon Allen was a die hard veer guy.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but Mt Ulla can you tell me a little about Central Cabarrus? Running or passing team? I see they beat Concord, lost big to you guys, lost to Cox Mill.....hard to figure them out.
Concord game had to have been a fluke. They play hard and physically but did not have enough speed to contain our backs or receivers. They are strong on defense up the middle but vulnerable in the pass game and outside. same on offense. They are tuff up front but not fast enough

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
Concord game had to have been a fluke. They play hard and physically but did not have enough speed to contain our backs or receivers. They are strong on defense up the middle but vulnerable in the pass game and outside. same on offense. They are tuff up front but not fast enough
Also concord had like 250 yards in penalties and numerous turn overs.

Know this probably doesn't mean much since it was the first game of the season but their offense was like watching a bad elementary school team trying to line up and run right then left ...

And I am not trying to be mean but it was horrible to put it as nice as I can .... surely they have progressed a tad over the course of the season but don't foresee them making any noise except the collective gasp from their fan base wondering why they are so bad with such good looking athletic kids ....

That's is what is so mind boggling ! They pass the eye test but when it comes to X's and O's something is amiss

A very good assessment and from time to time they actually get the ball to their best play maker, Moore.

Being that Hickory made the game tight, South scoring on em', Watauga destroying them, Patton upset them for first time.... leads to my conclusion of this game. West Rowan has it in the bag. On the flip side, Freedom has the athletes to make it a different game than on paper. Maybe not a winning game but a better game. They'll be back next year. If it's with a new coach, whi knows what they can do

Reactions: marsgreen
I really don't see WR having much trouble here. The Freedom players and staff are not on the same page....and it is too late in the season to fix it.

Patsfball
You have been talking about the coaching for the last 3 years and I'm curious to see who you would like to have.

Patsfball
You have been talking about the coaching for the last 3 years and I'm curious to see who you would like to have.
Per your Request, here is the new staff -

patsfball and heelsfan28655 Co Head Coach

Marsgreen - OC
Beamer - DC
GDG and Cheerduck as Senior Advisors

paws84 - O line
Burkeforeal - Head stat man

DLS2004 - Head of Water Maintenance

Other positions to be added......

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Notre Dame Box, remember we have a guy that can sling it down the field, so when you put 9,10, or 11 in the box, we are going over the top.

Per your Request, here is the new staff -

patsfball and heelsfan28655 Co Head Coach

Marsgreen - OC
Beamer - DC
GDG and Cheerduck as Senior Advisors

paws84 - O line
Burkeforeal - Head stat man

DLS2004 - Head of Water Maintenance

Other positions to be added......

As long as I could have a 3 day work week.

Reactions: patsfball
This will be a coaching clinic, unfortunately, Freedom will have no one to show up that resembles that.
I m not trying to be funny guy s but I remember thinking back when my son was a sophomore freedom would be hurting alittle by his senior year. We had beaten you pretty bad his freshman year and then he played varsity the next and your jv s were winless when our jv came up and won by at least 4 tds.so I remember thinking to myself they may be down alittle. Maybe this coaching staff has done a good job with what they have to work with. I don't know I have not seen your team play or know what you have. I just remember them as jv s

Other than Shelby and Crest, I don't know of a school that reloads talent like Freedom in western NC. This program has underachieved over and over. Some changes will be made or Freedom will struggle to stay above .500

Freedom really didn't have alot of talent from 2006-09. 08-09 was when the talent started coming back in as some solid freshman classes started coming in.

Come on Heelsfan, you ask a question,,, I answer,, and you remain silent.
What do you think about my suggestion??

he was a good QB while at Freedom, groomed to coach at Chapel Hill as a walk-on. Currently the OC at Campbell, would never consider leaving, especially now that Campbell is moving into Big South Conf.... with athletic scholarship offers.

They were pretty good no doubt. He was no stranger to an interception, but still in top 5 passers in Freedom history.

heelsfan, I've been unplugged for a couple of days.... our boys ready for Friday night?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT