ADVERTISEMENT

RPI?

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
Is it time to change the RPI system

Freedom won Ashe co and Finished tied with them but yet Ashe co is #20 and Freedom is #39

Also Statesville got a bad spot as They won and finished higher then NL and NL got the #15 seed and Statesville #16 seed - How does that work?

If you arent the conference champion you are seeded off your RPI regardless of conference finish. All conference champs are seeded 1st based off RPI, then all 2nd auto qualifiers, 3rd auto qualifiers, and wildcards are seeded together. So you can be seeded higher than a team that finished better than you. However, you cannot get in UNLESS they get in.

Reactions: BK13T-$
In the SMC Swain Robbinsville rpi are 1 and 4.
But the seeding is 1 and 9.
Maybe it's time to go to regions rather than conferences.

This is not a knock on conference rivals - but trying to understand. In the final RPI, Ashe is 42 - both CD and ND are lower (46 and 58), finished 3rd and 4th in the conference - is Ashe left out bc of the split conference and some rule related to that? I know how the automatic qualifiers work but once you get to at large there are obviously some quirks.

CD is a tough draw for EG and ND is playing much better - but Ashe is one of 3 or 4 strange RPI situations across the 4 classifications

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Ashe couldn’t get in bc they finished below Freedom in their conference. And Freedom didn’t get in-leapfrog rule. If someone finishes higher than you in your conference and doesn’t get in. You can’t get in. However, if you both get in you can be seeded higher than a team that finishes ahead of you

Ashe couldn’t get in bc they finished below Freedom in their conference. And Freedom didn’t get in-leapfrog rule. If someone finishes higher than you in your conference and doesn’t get in. You can’t get in. However, if you both get in you can be seeded higher than a team that finishes ahead of you
Gotcha - Freedom NOT getting in was the part of the equation I was missing - thank you for the clarification!

If you arent the conference champion you are seeded off your RPI regardless of conference finish. All conference champs are seeded 1st based off RPI, then all 2nd auto qualifiers, 3rd auto qualifiers, and wildcards are seeded together. So you can be seeded higher than a team that finished better than you. However, you cannot get in UNLESS they get in.
on NCHSAA website it clearly say Team with 6+ team in their conference will get 2 automatic bids also It say No team can’t jump ahead of someone who is ahead of them in conference so

Statesville finished ahead of NL so how can they get higher seed? also Head to Head should carry more weight

Reactions: Champ_24
on NCHSAA website it clearly say Team with 6+ team in their conference will get 2 automatic bids also It say No team can’t jump ahead of someone who is ahead of them in conference so

Statesville finished ahead of NL so how can they get higher seed? also Head to Head should carry more weight
I believe they need to update that portion on the site to all sports except football. I believe that rule is for sports that have a conference tournament.
I think the jump ahead is pertaining to making playoffs, not seeding.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996

The part about jumping ahead is known as “leapfrogging” and only applies to qualifying for the playoffs. Getting into (or qualifying for) the playoffs is determined first by conference standing and second by RPI.

Then a second process takes place. All teams that qualified for the playoffs are then seeded.. The conference champs automatically get seated first. Once all the conference champs are seeded first and after that all the other teams are seeded by their RPI regardless of their record against another team.

Reactions: beamer24
The part about jumping ahead is known as “leapfrogging” and only applies to qualifying for the playoffs. Getting into (or qualifying for) the playoffs is determined first by conference standing and second by RPI.

Then a second process takes place. All teams that qualified for the playoffs are then seeded.. The conference champs automatically get seated first. Once all the conference champs are seeded first and after that all the other teams are seeded by their RPI regardless of their record against another team.
Still stupid. If a team finishes ahead of them in conference and beat them then "leapfrog" doesn't apply imo i mean we seen team not make it even having a better rpi or whatever bc they finished under someone in conference who made it so I dont get the process, I think its all political and its BS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT