ADVERTISEMENT

Football 2022 Catawba valley 2A conference

If I had to give an educated guess...this whole QB thing has created quite the division in the school. The Stover boys haven't been in the best graces with most of the student body and players, and screenshots have emerged of one of the Stover boys using very bad language that he was suspended for and made the gap even wider between them and the other students/players.

• Wow
Reactions: FBUncle
If I had to give an educated guess...this whole QB thing has created quite the division in the school. The Stover boys haven't been in the best graces with most of the student body and players, and screenshots have emerged of one of the Stover boys using very bad language that he was suspended for and made the gap even wider between them and the other students/players.
Oh no. What is coach saying?

None of the coaches I've spoken to have spoken ill towards any kid involved in this scrum we're in, in fact they barely speak on the kids other than saying they hate the kids are caught up in adult problems. For the most part I see just this dumbfounded wonder on why this even happened in the first place. A lot of unnecessary grudges are being made and bridges that didn't have to be burned are now fully engulfed. And all evidence and heresay I've seen and heard point towards one person creating it all.

None of the coaches I've spoken to have spoken ill towards any kid involved in this scrum we're in, in fact they barely speak on the kids other than saying they hate the kids are caught up in adult problems. For the most part I see just this dumbfounded wonder on why this even happened in the first place. A lot of unnecessary grudges are being made and bridges that didn't have to be burned are now fully engulfed. And all evidence and heresay I've seen and heard point towards one person creating it all.
Sounds like something small turning into something an unnecessarily big deal. Such tactics can destroy a program. No need for this. Someone needs to get a grip on this. Sure hope things get better sooner than later.

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
Surprised we have decided to now call out the last name of the kids, but everyone familiar with the area knows who their dad is and the positions he has held and currently holds. I wonder if a possible West Lincoln transfer could happen, but then any quarterback in the Rebels system would have to run first and hand-off 1b.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Surprised we have decided to now call out the last name of the kids, but everyone familiar with the area knows who their dad is and the positions he has held and currently holds. I wonder if a possible West Lincoln transfer could happen, but then any quarterback in the Rebels system would have to run first and hand-off 1b.
It wasn't intentional, honestly didn't even realize I did it till I read your post, then read mine again. But yes, anyone remotely familiar knows already and I imagine it'll be in the paper after this next school board meeting.

Reactions: LHSfaninVA
I don't think any real news will make any appearance until the school board meeting on June 6th. Should be some fireworks with some in the community getting to speak their mind.
Was there a special meeting last night concerning this matter, or do you still think it will be June 6th when it is discussed?

Special meeting last night. Closed session so I was asked to leave. All I know is that it was "concerning a student matter".

This honestly sounds like something made from a movie or TV show. UNREAL! Thing about it is we are inching closer and closer to kickoff. 10 weeks is not really that far out for something like this to blow over. Hopefully for all the kids and coaches involved this calms down soon and they can solely focus on football season without the drama and division.

It did happen on a tv show. I believe Friday Night Lights had several storylines involving quarterback transfers. Now we just need to reboot it for a small town in North Carolina.

Since Ashe county has been mentioned many times on this thread and we’re playing Watauga.

I’m surprised to see that Ashe and Watauga are scheduled to play twice again this fall.

I’m struggling to believe that both schools wanted this to happen.

Heck…Surry, Yadkin, Iredell, Davie, Stokes….somebody???

Hoping both schools work that schedule out soon.

I have read with great interest the situation that these kids and school finds it self.

Many years ago, I faced the decision as to transfer my son from a fabulous school (Mt Airy) to a rival but larger school just four miles across the creek (North Surry). The facts are very simple: a good coach at Mt Airy was not interested in giving my son a chance to be a part of his running back group and I was the one getting the calls from the college coaches that watched him in four summer camps.

I absolutely believed and still do, that the coach has the right and duty to make the decisions that he believes best for the team. He has all off season, all preseason, in fact, he has not just every game but every play of every game to make those decisions to play who and where until the last play of the last game.

But as a parent, I only had until the first minute of the first practice to make my decision. The day of the first practice, I moved my son to the rival, larger school. Long story short, my son got a full ride scholarship as a running back to college and played four years, despite a ripped apart PCL at the end of his senior year in high school playing baseball.

To the credit of both schools, no one made a big deal out of my son's transfer. Mt Airy is, and has been, the school that I provide the most support to and have all along. My older child and younger child (all conference soccer and wrestling winning 3rd place at States's his senior year) both graduated from Mt Airy. The decision was not, like or not like a school, it was not about anything at all except the belief and knowledge that what was best for my son was to transfer to a place that would not only play him but also give him the opportunity to prove his ability.

I am not in favor of schools recruiting for players and have a real issue with charter schools that can recruit the entire state. But I am also not in favor of parents having no ability to remove and place their son/daughter in a situation that gives them a better opportunity to achieve.

Since Ashe county has been mentioned many times on this thread and we’re playing Watauga.

I’m surprised to see that Ashe and Watauga are scheduled to play twice again this fall.

Hibriten plays South Caldwell twice as well. Due to our conference only having 6 teams finding another game was almost impossible without alot of travel.

I have read with great interest the situation that these kids and school finds it self.

Many years ago, I faced the decision as to transfer my son from a fabulous school (Mt Airy) to a rival but larger school just four miles across the creek (North Surry). The facts are very simple: a good coach at Mt Airy was not interested in giving my son a chance to be a part of his running back group and I was the one getting the calls from the college coaches that watched him in four summer camps.

I absolutely believed and still do, that the coach has the right and duty to make the decisions that he believes best for the team. He has all off season, all preseason, in fact, he has not just every game but every play of every game to make those decisions to play who and where until the last play of the last game.

But as a parent, I only had until the first minute of the first practice to make my decision. The day of the first practice, I moved my son to the rival, larger school. Long story short, my son got a full ride scholarship as a running back to college and played four years, despite a ripped apart PCL at the end of his senior year in high school playing baseball.

To the credit of both schools, no one made a big deal out of my son's transfer. Mt Airy is, and has been, the school that I provide the most support to and have all along. My older child and younger child (all conference soccer and wrestling winning 3rd place at States's his senior year) both graduated from Mt Airy. The decision was not, like or not like a school, it was not about anything at all except the belief and knowledge that what was best for my son was to transfer to a place that would not only play him but also give him the opportunity to prove his ability.

I am not in favor of schools recruiting for players and have a real issue with charter schools that can recruit the entire state. But I am also not in favor of parents having no ability to remove and place their son/daughter in a situation that gives them a better opportunity to achieve.
Well said

Another tidbit...apparently there is a recording of Dr. Stover berating a coach's wife from Maiden. Word is local news has caught wind and a story is brewing to go along with the transfer controversy.

...wow

Great post!…thanks for sharing that.

Personally….I stay out of other family affairs….because NO ONE would tell me what I can or can’t do…concerning my kids….well….except Momma.

Hoping this mess gets resolved satisfactorily…for the families involved….and thank goodness it’s not my mine….

I’d have to put a leash on my wife….literally!….and I’m sick over knowing there’s families experiencing this right now!

For those that read this….Let’s keep this private as best we can!

Please❤️….for the families involved.

It’s tough enough as it is…and when it’s family…..there’s no holds barred….and it’s for keeps too….like…forever.

This whole thing is pretty ridiculous. I am gathering from reading this that the Stover people their dad is the superintendent? I haven't read in depth other than my comments about before back from Ashe county. I have a hard time believing from seeing him last year a few times that he would go to maiden and start. Especially with the athleticism that they are going to play. If they don't get open quick he's sacked. So what Stover ought to do if it's his kids that are still there is tell him to go compete. He may have been the 6th or 7th best quarterback I saw last year. And I saw them play two times maybe three. What somebody needs to do is tell Stover to step it up let his damn kids fight for a job. As far as you guys talking about bringing the kids into it that's cool. But some of these parents need to quit transfer under kids. Excuse me they need to quit transferring their kids. Stay in your damn place and fight for a job everybody has a place. It's ridiculous. Ain't everybody going to play. Two problems with high schools today especially the small ones. Too many sports. And too many pussies. And I don't mean females. But I don't really mean players. Parents and coaches are just as bad.

Item 14 on tonight's school board meeting is: Approval of Proposed 2022-2023 Student Transfer Spaces. If tonight would have us in it in anyway, I imagine this would be it. Maybe we'll be waiting till next meeting, idk.

Public comment period was full of support and dissent towards proposed book banning in Catawba County School libraries. In regards to LGBTQ books. I haven't seen half of them...but the handful I've read have sexually explicit content.

No matter what side of the aisle anyone is on. Sexually explicit content has no place in schools anywhere. There are people who believe it should be allowed...and most of them are childless.

There will be no public discussion on the matter, told to me by a board member, said that public comment could happen but that the board wouldn't allow that conversation involving students to happen in a public setting. She also said that decisions have not been made.

There will be no public discussion on the matter, told to me by a board member, said that public comment could happen but that the board wouldn't allow that conversation involving students to happen in a public setting. She also said that decisions have not been made.
Imma change the subject again…

On a lighter note….played golf with Fred yesterday. What a pleasure that was for me! He looks great…he played extremely well too.
For the record… his 1st year at Maiden was ‘81…he was at Robbinsville for a short while before that.

Just wanted you to know.

Heard from others…that kid was tough as a pine knot and mean as a snake when he is on the field…and loved to hit people too!…I’m loving that!

You’d mentioned he was a good defensive player….he ain’t going nowhere….except to somebody’s arse when the ball is snapped!😉…wherever that may be….I’m hoping to see him play.

We’ll see.

Imma change the subject again…

On a lighter note….played golf with Fred yesterday. What a pleasure that was for me! He looks great…he played extremely well too.
For the record… his 1st year at Maiden was ‘81…he was at Robbinsville for a short while before that.

Just wanted you to know.

Heard from others…that kid was tough as a pine knot and mean as a snake when he is on the field…and loved to hit people too!…I’m loving that!

You’d mentioned he was a good defensive player….he ain’t going nowhere….except to somebody’s arse when the ball is snapped!😉…wherever that may be….I’m hoping to see him play.

We’ll see.
I love Fred to death. Really let me spread my wings in football and even let me call some of our on plays...gave me the freedom to call audibles at the line if I felt like we weren't in a good spot.

Creek...rumor went around when I was in school that Fred was an ex-mafia member who relocated to Maiden under protective services with a new identity haha...you gotta be a tough coach to get that story told about ya!

• Haha
My sister just sent me Bandys schedule for the upcoming year (my nephew's senior year):

8/19 @ St Stephens
8/26 VS Fred T Foard
9/2 BYE
9/9 @ South Caldwell
9/16 @ West Lincoln
9/23 @ East Burke
9/30 VS Lincolnton (Homecoming)
10/7 VS Maiden
10/14 @ Newton
10/21 VS West Caldwell (Senior Night)
10/28 @ Bunker Hill

--Tough sledding only having 4 home games...wow.
--Saint and Foard should be good warm ups
--Early BYE week stinks
--Conference will be tough this year...if Bandys stays injured like last year it'll be a 3 win season at most...if they stay healthy I can see 6 wins at least and a 32 seed...they'll need to really find themselves to finish in the top 3 of the conference.

Mr. Lincolnton its skullduggery and shenanagins Ill tell ya.....

HA HA

All I know when me Whats his face, the other whats his face and the older whats his faces rolls into Hickory again for some breaking of bread (Or burger or Chicken Livers in Creeks case) I hope you are there, I realized I havent seen you since 2012 title games in Winston... Been too long my friend.....
Ain’t seen an invite yet….who is the coordinator of this outfit?

A man could starve to death running with this bunch!😂

• Haha
Reactions: GrizzlyDevil

It's a very weird deal indeed. It doesn't help that Ashe isn't really a 3A school in the old school sense of things but they got moved up due to that system the state uses. It just made for a mess. They should be with all of us in the Foothills conference. Probably will happen next alignment; if it's too many teams they could move East Surry out and put them with West Stokes and those schools and take Andrews out and put them somewhere closer to High Point. Win/win for both. East faces more athletic teams and Ashe plays at their true level.

I see Ashe getting a better schedule next year. All the covid mess last year didn't help they played the first game then lost 2 weeks. If they had got to play West Wilkes like they were scheduled it woulda been a help to their confidence.

It's a very weird deal indeed. It doesn't help that Ashe isn't really a 3A school in the old school sense of things but they got moved up due to that system the state uses. It just made for a mess. They should be with all of us in the Foothills conference. Probably will happen next alignment; if it's too many teams they could move East Surry out and put them with West Stokes and those schools and take Andrews out and put them somewhere closer to High Point. Win/win for both. East faces more athletic teams and Ashe plays at their true level.

I see Ashe getting a better schedule next year. All the covid mess last year didn't help they played the first game then lost 2 weeks. If they had got to play West Wilkes like they were scheduled it woulda been a help to their confidence.
I don't really think they're playing out of there conference or out of there division. For years they were playing in a 2A1A conference is at 3a team at enrollment. They're just finally getting a taste of their own medicine. That air raid spread stuff they run doesn't work when they face tremendous athletes like they're having to now. Besides elkin they didn't really play anybody. I'm assuming you're saying that we would move down to 1A? When you speak about us in pilot. I don't think anybody down this way wants to have to drive to Ash to play. So them going down into Lenoir and hickory is a good thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT