ADVERTISEMENT

Final 2A rankings! If ED is number 1

Shouldn't WRH be Ranked higher than a couple of the teams that are ahead of them?? (Just food for thought)

Congrats to ED!!! Go Duplin County
It’s obvious the only reason ED is ranked #1, is they had to. Yes, WRH should be 3rd but poll has always been West leaning. Some kind of different strength of schedule scale. Wiz knows this also.

I didn’t think East Duplin would beat Reidsville unless they controlled the clock by successfully running the ball. I feared an ED loss would bring out the western posters saying “ED wouldn’t fare well in the western playoffs- there are 10 teams better than ED”. I know there are 5+ programs in the east that would be hard outs wherever they played.

ED ran the ball effectively even when everyone in the stands and watching on line knew they were going to run it. They didn’t do it with big gains like WRH did the prior year which is important to keeping Reidsville’s D on the field. They dominated possession and ran 63 plays compared to 47 from Reidsville. Even with the offensive success, they may not have won without getting some pressure on the QB. (WRH got no pressure). When ED and other eastern running teams are operating efficiently the clock melts and makes every possession pressure packed.

And lastly, any eastern team that doesn’t spend most of practice trying to stop the run will probably not be playing in December. That is a given. Many high school dB’s struggle against good passing teams and it is too much to expect eastern db’s to be excellent cover guys (in general) when they are called on to run support. QB pressure is the answer- enough to make a hurried throw or not let him set his feet. ED did a much better job covering that I would have expected.

WRH guys, this post wasn’t meant to ruffle your feathers, just an observation. No QB pressure in 2021 could be a result of the 3 defensive starters that weren’t allowed to make the trip or to a special Shelby team.

I didn’t think East Duplin would beat Reidsville unless they controlled the clock by successfully running the ball. I feared an ED loss would bring out the western posters saying “ED wouldn’t fare well in the western playoffs- there are 10 teams better than ED”. I know there are 5+ programs in the east that would be hard outs wherever they played.

ED ran the ball effectively even when everyone in the stands and watching on line knew they were going to run it. They didn’t do it with big gains like WRH did the prior year which is important to keeping Reidsville’s D on the field. They dominated possession and ran 63 plays compared to 47 from Reidsville. Even with the offensive success, they may not have won without getting some pressure on the QB. (WRH got no pressure). When ED and other eastern running teams are operating efficiently the clock melts and makes every possession pressure packed.

And lastly, any eastern team that doesn’t spend most of practice trying to stop the run will probably not be playing in December. That is a given. Many high school dB’s struggle against good passing teams and it is too much to expect eastern db’s to be excellent cover guys (in general) when they are called on to run support. QB pressure is the answer- enough to make a hurried throw or not let him set his feet. ED did a much better job covering that I would have expected.

WRH guys, this post wasn’t meant to ruffle your feathers, just an observation. No QB pressure in 2021 could be a result of the 3 defensive starters that weren’t allowed to make the trip or to a special Shelby team.
I agree except 1 thing….. comparing Shelby 21 to reidsville 22. That Shelby team was the real deal! No feathers ruffled, I always like to read your posts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT