ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern Championship WRH (12-2) @ East Duplin (13-1)

I know you rove around, but your also without a home. We can go with nomadic, if you prefer. Serious question, who do you think wins the west?
Olddog77, you make Chopper sound like the devil. Read in the Bible where God asked him, "where have you been ? He said going to and fro in the earth and walking up and down in it". Later I heard a minister on TV say what the devil meant was he was roaming around to see how much trouble he could cause. Your post might be spot on. :)

Reactions: dogs79
Olddog77, you make Chopper sound like the devil. Read in the Bible where God asked him, "where have you been ? He said going to and fro in the earth and walking up and down in it". Later I heard a minister on TV say what the devil meant was he was roaming around to see how much trouble he could cause. Your post might be spot on. :)
Just how I interpret his words. Did you by any chance attend the 1994 championship game- or were you not old enough?

Don't know the biggest ever for sure but been told it was 2002 Clinton vs East Duplin. Think the internet hurts attendence some now. But it will be packed. Don't think you will see that entrance this year been pretty simple so far.
I was in HS then and in the marching band. We brought our entire (150 person) band. They set us up basically on the field on temp bleachers. The broadcast team at the time, had to broadcast from on top of the School behind the stands. The crowd that night was epic, the win was even better, 35-0.

Last edited:

Another mangy k9
Adding you to the hit list. Bunch of mangy k9's on this board.

Just how I interpret his words. Did you by any chance attend the 1994 championship game- or were you not old enough?
Yes sir, I sure did. That was a sad day for us. We had won the title the year before against Burlington Cummings as an underdog and felt pretty good about winning it again in 94.
A retired state trooper who was originally from that area told me a few days before that WRH is a very tough program and played hard nosed football, and that we could expect a hard fought game.

Lincolnton played a Wallace-Rose Hill team that refused to lose. They just meant to take that title back home with them. They had a quarterback who was obviously a leader and also had a running back, T. Newkirk, who was really good, along with a very stingy defense.

I saw WRH beat Reidsville in 2017, in overtime. Like this year, I'm thinking they had lost to East Duplin in a close game during regular season but don't think ED or their opponent Hibriten would have wanted the Bulldogs that day.

LOL, about the age thing, in 1994, I was still young, I wasn't quite 50. Old man in the house.:)

Yes sir, I sure did. That was a sad day for us. We had won the title the year before against Burlington Cummings as an underdog and felt pretty good about winning it again in 94.
A retired state trooper who was originally from that area told me a few days before that WRH is a very tough program and played hard nosed football, and that we could expect a hard fought game.

Lincolnton played a Wallace-Rose Hill team that refused to lose. They just meant to take that title back home with them. They had a quarterback who was obviously a leader and also had a running back, T. Newkirk, who was really good, along with a very stingy defense.

I saw WRH beat Reidsville in 2017, in overtime. Like this year, I'm thinking they had lost to East Duplin in a close game during regular season but don't think ED or their opponent Hibriten would have wanted the Bulldogs that day.

LOL, about the age thing, in 1994, I was still young, I wasn't quite 50. Old man in the house.:)
I graduated in 77, so I ain't no spring chicken myself

I graduated in 77, so I ain't no spring chicken myself
That 94 game seems like last week to me. I graduated in 1971, I'm 69, now. When WRH won the title in 2017 my cousin told me I should be in the rest home, then for driving 170 miles to watch a high school football game in the snow. It wasn't as bad over that way but I'm thinking like it was still snowing when I got there.

That 94 game seems like last week to me. I graduated in 1971, I'm 69, now. When WRH won the title in 2017 my cousin told me I should be in the rest home, then for driving 170 miles to watch a high school football game in the snow. It wasn't as bad over that way but I'm thinking like it was still snowing when I got there.
Ed played Hibriten at 3, and we played Reidsville at 7. I went to both, as you know it snowed alot during the ed game. I was wet from snow by the time our game started, I thought I was gonna freeze. One of the coldest games I ever sat thru. In the late 80s, don't remember actually which year. Went to Thomasville to see Thomasville vs Hertford Co, it was last year of playing championship game at home team w best record. That was a cold night also!

I drove over 1100 miles to attend my cousin's son's high school game in Springdale Arkansas this season. I'd love to go Saturday to watch Bo in his 3rd straight state title game. So far he is 1-1 in title games. Hoping he makes it 2-1 Saturday. I been looking to see if I could leave after the WRH- ED game and make it but the game is at noon and it's a 15 hour drive. A lot of my family thought I was crazy for doing that. I drove up on Thursday leaving around 2am. I got there in time to watch their JV game in Dardanelle then drove on up to Springdale and watched Bo's game and left Saturday morning and drive back home.
Bo my cousin is a junior. Plays RB and linebacker. He has over 2000 yds rushing and 54 TD's. I have no doubt this kid will play D1 ball.

I drove over 1100 miles to attend my cousin's son's high school game in Springdale Arkansas this season. I'd love to go Saturday to watch Bo in his 3rd straight state title game. So far he is 1-1 in title games. Hoping he makes it 2-1 Saturday. I been looking to see if I could leave after the WRH- ED game and make it but the game is at noon and it's a 15 hour drive. A lot of my family thought I was crazy for doing that. I drove up on Thursday leaving around 2am. I got there in time to watch their JV game in Dardanelle then drove on up to Springdale and watched Bo's game and left Saturday morning and drive back home.
Bo my cousin is a junior. Plays RB and linebacker. He has over 2000 yds rushing and 54 TD's. I have no doubt this kid will play D1 ball.
He looks like a man

Otis, you must be an awfully good family member. Hope they appreciate you. I just read a piece in an online Little Rock newspaper that covers northwest Arkansas and watched a clip on Hudl. If the one I saw is your nephew he is truly a player. Has a low center of gravity, fast, quick and noticeably hard to tackle. He plays for a private school ?

Ed played Hibriten at 3, and we played Reidsville at 7. I went to both, as you know it snowed alot during the ed game. I was wet from snow by the time our game started, I thought I was gonna freeze. One of the coldest games I ever sat thru. In the late 80s, don't remember actually which year. Went to Thomasville to see Thomasville vs Hertford Co, it was last year of playing championship game at home team w best record. That was a cold night also!
The thomasville vs. HC was around 87 or 88.

Otis, you must be an awfully good family member. Hope they appreciate you. I just read a piece in an online Little Rock newspaper that covers northwest Arkansas and watched a clip on Hudl. If the one I saw is your nephew he is truly a player. Has a low center of gravity, fast, quick and noticeably hard to tackle. He plays for a private school ?
Yep. Shiloh Christian. His name is Bo Williams.

Reactions: Lincolnton
Yeah... East Duplin didn't have anything to do with how Wallace played did they?

Let's see what shakes out Friday night.
ED did have a say so. Most of the time the opponent does. They have a great veteran team and they are showing it!! Hoping for a great game.

It was snowing. Ed and Hibriten played in it.

Tarboro and Mount airy played in the snow that day to. I had on two long sleeve shirts, a hoodie, and a coat. Along with fleece pants, and boots. And I was still cold lol. It was beautiful playing In the snow that day for all the games. I'm sure every player that competed in games that day will always remember how they got to play in a championship game in the snow.

This is going to be one heck of a game.... Either of these two will give whomever comes out of the west all they want and more I believe

and Lincolnton dont worry much about Chopper.. He talks a big game, but bet you a dollar and a gizzard sammich hes a good dude to hang with at a ball game... If you can get by the tapioca puddin' and gold bond foot powder smell that is....

Ive been on his list for like 10 years.... He has given us more heck than anyone over the years, but makes me laugh when doing so , so hes alright I reckon....

This is going to be one heck of a game.... Either of these two will give whomever comes out of the west all they want and more I believe

and Lincolnton dont worry much about Chopper.. He talks a big game, but bet you a dollar and a gizzard sammich hes a good dude to hang with at a ball game... If you can get by the tapioca puddin' and gold bond foot powder smell that is....

Ive been on his list for like 10 years.... He has given us more heck than anyone over the years, but makes me laugh when doing so , so hes alright I reckon....
I hear he's a pretty good bingo administrator also

LOL, thanks Shelby Lion. He knows you can handle him. It was you who posted his photo along with his lady friends. I could almost hear him gasp when he realized you’d caught him.:)
313321759_10223746733116569_7371265910204943281_n.jpg

Chopper dont gasp he says LOL

You know, he looks kind of noble, like maybe King George V...Truth be known, King George probably had a bug league tattoo, like Chopper.

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Wait. What? You didn’t say anything about us going to Arkansas after the game Friday. 😂😂😂

Regarding the 2017 State Championship Game

Melvin Scott carried the ball three times for right at 100 yards and a TD before exiting the game with a high ankle sprain never to return.

The Hibriten punter was the player of the game, no doubt. East Duplin started several drives with the shadow of the goal posts on their backs. It was a masterclass in field position and special teams.

I feel like ED was the better team that day but teams rarely break through on their first trip to the championship game. Congrats again to Hibriten. They were tough as any team ED played that year and certainly deserving of winning.

I was right there with ya 99 and no doubt losing Melvin early in that one was a dagger for ED. He was the one thing that Hibriten had not planned for in that game. If he's in the whole game, it ends differently and I will always believe that. I truly believe that North Davidson or Randleman who we had to beat to get there would both have beaten Hibriten that year as well.

According to most ED posters, I was crazy when I said Scott was best back. Another big reason y’all lost was that safety after the interception. Big time momentum change.

I've already looked into it. The game Saturday is at Noon. I need 15 hours to get there. We would have to leave at halftime. Be careful what you wish for cause I really want to go.
I cant. Taking my wife to Buc-ees Saturday. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I was also at that game in 94. I was 11. Seems like we ran the kickoff back to start the game and became way too confident. Still had a chance late and fumbled it away. Tough one to swallow, even at age 11.

Yeah, ED got interception against Hibriton about the 2 yd line and next play Hibriton got a safety, I think in 2nd qtr
That's right. It was second quarter. If I am not mistaken instead of running a QB sneak to get some yards, ED ran either a sweep or tried to run a reverse and the RB got tackled in the end zone for a safety. After ED kicked the ball to Hibriten, three or four plays later they got a TD pass to a receiver that got behind the safety and it was 9-7 Hibriten.

Reactions: Jjeffe8 and dogs79
That's right. It was second quarter. If I am not mistaken instead of running a QB sneak to get some yards, ED ran either a sweep or tried to run a reverse and the RB got tackled in the end zone for a safety. After ED kicked the ball to Hibriten, three or four plays later they got a TD pass to a receiver that got behind the safety and it was 9-7 Hibriten.
That’s rite. It was Benson that got tackled for the safety

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT