ADVERTISEMENT

CVAC 2022 - Week 10

@Maiden Creek I haven't been to none of the JV games this year. But I looked at the JB roster I saw two freshman lineman that are 6'2" 300 lb each have you seen these kids are they going to be players or just kind of marshmallows that get pushed around ??

Reactions: Maiden Creek
@Maiden Creek I haven't been to none of the JV games this year. But I looked at the JB roster I saw two freshman lineman that are 6'2" 300 lb each have you seen these kids are they going to be players or just kind of marshmallows that get pushed around ??
That JV line is as big as varsity….if they keep working hard in the weight room and continue improving on technique they’ll be very good.
Maiden will have great size in the trenches for the next couple years for sure.

Reactions: amaidendevil
That JV line is as big as varsity….if they keep working hard in the weight room and continue improving on technique they’ll be very good.
Maiden will have great size in the trenches for the next couple years for sure.
I really believe the trenches is where championships can be won. You give any QB and wr enough time they will usually win against the defense and u control the line u control the running game, usually u can control the game.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I believe that caring is a huge issue for the program. Football just isn't as important to the kids in Lincolnton as it is in other areas like Maiden, Shelby or even Denver. Then when you get kids who could be impact players for the Wolves they transfer out to other schools in the area. In 2022, life is about decisions and people have to make the choice which they believe is right for them. I didn't have that opportunity. I did as I was told and still do to this day. Anyways, I am glad that some kids still want to wear the Black and Gold even if they aren't as successful as prior iterations who strapped it on.
One of the reasons I retired from coaching is the transfers. You develop a player and he leaves. It aggravates me when I see a young man leave his friends because his parents want him to win. I love what Coach Ponder is doing at West, he adjusts his offense and defense to his players with kids in his neighborhood.

Newspaper said East Burke had several key starters out two key LB against West Lincoln and it showed playing a couple of Freshman. Hope they are back for the Senior night Friday!! Tough few games for the Cavs!!

Last edited:
Not a fan of recruiting at all in HS...If your successful and the town has something to offer the family and a whole family picks up roots of their own free will, no recruitment, and moves to your district...then that's full commitment and I'm okay with that.

No living in Burke County and driving to Hickory HS. No living in Mooresville and driving to Statesville...etc.
I wanted to piggy back on what Grizz is saying here. Coming to the district and actually living in the district I’m all for too. This was an old statement but I couldn’t sleep and have to go to work soon so what the hey I’m up and I’m typing ha ha. Way too much living out of district and helping teams out is a topic that’s taken up 10 pages alone in the past. We went on for years about Crest used to do that years ago in the 90s and how Independence yeah those guys espacially doing it. I mean dang good coach and all, mad respect, BUT 7, 8 years in a row state titles something’s up with that lol. I don’t think all those kids all those years raising those trophies up at the title games had mail boxes in Mint Hill.

Hibritens 2017 win. How many of those youngins lived less than 5 min from West Caldwell and South Caldwell, good question but one that the people of the time posting bout it then could answer. I tell ya what, EB 2007 Cinderella season as they called it, do t believe any of those boys lived close to Freedom Foard or Hickory and when Indy came to town if you at that game and walked a LONG way and struggled to get a seat, remember seeing Banners that said EB vrs The Charlotte All Stars or Banners that said something like live anywhere and play wherever in Charlotte or something like that. Indy won but they didn’t blow us out. Shatley done a lot of the carrying in that game and lots of y’all reading this was there and know what I’m talking bout.

I don’t think Maiden does recruiting but if the kids really live there then cool.

Back on the sight Go Duke. As far as EB tough night to watch keys player out hurt for sure. West Lincoln runs the ball all the time so that hurt with two LB out including Top player Luke Wilson. We just need to get this last game over with a win and build for which I think will be the turnaround big time for this program. Good luck to all the playoff teams in the conference no cupcakes in this league for sure!!

I wanted to piggy back on what Grizz is saying here. Coming to the district and actually living in the district I’m all for too. This was an old statement but I couldn’t sleep and have to go to work soon so what the hey I’m up and I’m typing ha ha. Way too much living out of district and helping teams out is a topic that’s taken up 10 pages alone in the past. We went on for years about Crest used to do that years ago in the 90s and how Independence yeah those guys espacially doing it. I mean dang good coach and all, mad respect, BUT 7, 8 years in a row state titles something’s up with that lol. I don’t think all those kids all those years raising those trophies up at the title games had mail boxes in Mint Hill.

Hibritens 2017 win. How many of those youngins lived less than 5 min from West Caldwell and South Caldwell, good question but one that the people of the time posting bout it then could answer. I tell ya what, EB 2007 Cinderella season as they called it, do t believe any of those boys lived close to Freedom Foard or Hickory and when Indy came to town if you at that game and walked a LONG way and struggled to get a seat, remember seeing Banners that said EB vrs The Charlotte All Stars or Banners that said something like live anywhere and play wherever in Charlotte or something like that. Indy won but they didn’t blow us out. Shatley done a lot of the carrying in that game and lots of y’all reading this was there and know what I’m talking bout.

I don’t think Maiden does recruiting but if the kids really live there then cool.
There wasn't a single kid on the 2017 team that transferred in or didn't play for Hibriten from youth up.

There wasn't a single kid on the 2017 team that transferred in or didn't play for Hibriten from youth up.
Well good I’m glad. Homegrown is what I like. You know people blew the posts up about that and I wasn’t exactly one of em’ that’s why I said only the people of the time can answer. But a good question none the less cause of all the junk talk and accusations.

But we all know Indy recruited. Good coaching and some real moves to the area no doubt BUT …. several state wins in a row and once the word came down bout all the ineligible players and a story of a kid getting pulled over for running a red light and showed the cop a Indy student ID and a SC drivers license i became a believer- that they really did pull kids from all over.

Tom Knotts for West Caldwell. If every school around starts doing real terrible and Watauga falls off alittle and West goes deep by year 2 or 3 then we’ll know LOL

By no means do I know much about the inner workings of hibritan. What I know just from our history with them. I do know some Alexander Central people who jump up and down saying hibritan was taking kids from that side of Alexander county. I just listen to them talk because not my area and don't really know the inner workings of the situation.

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24
By no means do I know much about the inner workings of hibritan. What I know just from our history with them. I do know some Alexander Central people who jump up and down saying hibritan was taking kids from that side of Alexander county. I just listen to them talk because not my area and don't really know the inner workings of the situation.
I've followed the program for 20 years and had a kid in the youth league the past 8 years. I don’t know of 1 kid that's came from Alexander.

Most of the bickering stems from middle school lines. West draws from Gamewell Middle and Collettesville Elementary. Hibriten draws from 2 Elementary schools. They both draw(correct me if I’m wrong) from William Lenoir Middle. When my son went to WLMS you could go to either HS legally, no matter where you lived. His class was the last to do that, now you go to the HS in which district you live in (from WLMS). 2 examples- Allen Williams arguably one of HHS better rb’s, obviously chose HHS he lived basically on the line but within walking distance of WLMS, Kendall Jones who is WC leading scorer in basketball lived on the line in walking distance of WLMS obviously chose WC. There’s been many more examples and arguments over the years, but I’m pretty sure the rules changed in or around 2007-8. If anyone knows for sure correct me. I know several basketball players that went to WC that nobody wants to talk about🤷‍♂️ Don’t think any head coach in our county recruits, kids try to go where they have the best chance to win. SC for baseball. WC for basketball and HHS for football. This has been happening since my high school years. 79-83, and I’m sure before that.

Most of the bickering stems from middle school lines. West draws from Gamewell Middle and Collettesville Elementary. Hibriten draws from 2 Elementary schools. They both draw(correct me if I’m wrong) from William Lenoir Middle. When my son went to WLMS you could go to either HS legally, no matter where you lived. His class was the last to do that, now you go to the HS in which district you live in (from WLMS). 2 examples- Allen Williams arguably one of HHS better rb’s, obviously chose HHS he lived basically on the line but within walking distance of WLMS, Kendall Jones who is WC leading scorer in basketball lived on the line in walking distance of WLMS obviously chose WC. There’s been many more examples and arguments over the years, but I’m pretty sure the rules changed in or around 2007-8. If anyone knows for sure correct me. I know several basketball players that went to WC that nobody wants to talk about🤷‍♂️ Don’t think any head coach in our county recruits, kids try to go where they have the best chance to win. SC for baseball. WC for basketball and HHS for football. This has been happening since my high school years. 79-83, and I’m sure before that.
I assumed HHS Football was a relative recent phenomena. The Panthers had some very lean years in the late 80s/early 90s. Goes to show you stick around long enough and every high school will have a crop of kids come up that are going to be special. You just hope as fans/parents of schools that they sustain that success.

I assumed HHS Football was a relative recent phenomena. The Panthers had some very lean years in the late 80s/early 90s. Goes to show you stick around long enough and every high school will have a crop of kids come up that are going to be special. You just hope as fans/parents of schools that they sustain that success.
Since early 2000’s we have as many if not more wins than anyone in the area. Probably(just a guess here) top 10 in west. Stat guys help me out here.

Luke Wilson did not play that hurt!!
We on week 11 I’m not trying to stay in this week but what y’all think Lincolnton, Grizz, Maiden boys, even though EB is low in wins obviously, would y’all consider Luke Wilson 1st team all conf CVAC? Our one glimmer of hope on a team that’s come up short? Of course my vote for 1st team in QB is maiden and 1st team WR is Culiver Maiden, I’m it bias ha ha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT