ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton High New Head Coach

Darkhorse#34

Jul 30, 2006
After weeks and weeks of rumors and speculation annoucement was made this afternoon Scotland County asst Coach Cory Johnson will be the new head man for the Dark Horses....welcome to the family Coach Johnson looking forward to seeing him on the sidelines

Will be interesting to see how he handles coaches left over from previous staff. You know clinton has a lot of volunteer coaches also. Very community run organization. Wonder what his plans are with that.

His youth spesks volumes only 26 well he turns 27 on Tuesday....The fact Coach Richard Baliey one of the best coaches in the State trusted him with so much shows this guy has a high football IQ and can handle the pressure....i see him making a immediate impact on the defensive side of the ball where we were uncharacteristically weak last year in regards to stopping the power run game.....offensively i dont see us changing much with the personnell we have returning and coming up from the JV a primary run heavy offense is probably still our best option

I don't know this guy from Adam,but I like him already just because he gave glory to our lord and Savior Jesus Christ first and foremost,a lot of people nowadays are so PC they just would say"God"because they wouldn't want to offend anyone,"God" could be a bug eyed frog to people nowadays....way to stand up coach God bless!!...the Todd McComb he spoke of,is this the former Thomasville Bulldog linebacker? If so awesome!!!

I don't know this guy from Adam,but I like him already just because he gave glory to our lord and Savior Jesus Christ first and foremost,a lot of people nowadays are so PC they just would say"God"because they wouldn't want to offend anyone,"God" could be a bug eyed frog to people nowadays....way to stand up coach God bless!!...the Todd McComb he spoke of,is this the former Thomasville Bulldog linebacker? If so awesome!!!
It is.

Well sadly thats one thing wrong with the culture....New Coach coming into a new town should be given some time to implement his system...too many times fans dont give Coaches a chance.....its win now or else....i think he will do a good job and i hope our fanbase is patient with him

Clinton Spring Practice Monday may have to swing by and get a early preview of 2018

I and my close friends/DarkDarkHorse supporters, had the opportunity to sit down and talk with Coach Johnson shorty after his press conference Wednesday and following his meeting with the team. I was impressed, yes he is young but he is football wise and character/maturity way beyond his years.He is well organized and sees the DarkHorse job as a great opportunity. He understands the tradition of DarkHorse! I think what I was most impressed is he spoke without a lot of "coach's speak" He was well prepared to answer question and has a clear direction for the game on the field. But he emphasized discipline, condition and weight training as well as all coaches following players progress/behavior or lack thereof in the classroom.He wants to get some of the coaches he's coached with before and position wise that could become possible. With him being a outsider he deserves the opportunity to get his staff. Thus week I did hear from a friend who has Laurinburg contacts Say unsolicited he was told the DarkHorses got a steal in getting Coach Johnson. This all being said, I'm just a fan but I was impressed with Coach Johnson!

In hindsight everyone knows 2002 was not Al Britt's fault.....if the QB runs the sneak as called we probably win that game

No doubt. Probably is a loose term, with the 1st down and no timeouts, it’s a W without question!

i, too hope that Clinton fans will give Coach Johnson a chance to get his system implemented. Today's society demands instant gratification, so expectations are very high, especially for someone from outside the Darkhorse community. I'm looking forward to the possibilities that a young, bright mind can bring. And yes, he has some gigantic shoes to fill.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
I heard the new coach had some workouts this week. Has anyone heard how things went?

I wonder if Coach Johnson will implement more of a platoon system, or at least not have so many two-way players as in the past.

I wonder if Coach Johnson will implement more of a platoon system, or at least not have so many two-way players as in the past.

Can only do what you can do. We haven’t had the athletes to allow 6-7 of our best athletes to only see one side of field. Teams that do it, have enough adequate athletes to make it work. I hope though that we can eventually get to that but it all starts at the rec dept. there were only 2 Football teams at rec this year. Soccer all the while is thriving.

Like @Darkhorse04 said dont think our numbers will allow that....normally have what 35-40 kids on the roster compared to a school like Scotland where he comes from.....i will say this upcoming season we have alot of talented skill position players where certain ones wouldnt have to go both ways............sometimes as a fan i prefer it take this past season for instance you our defense seem to be alot better when Kris Williams was on the field

Reactions: Wizard of the East
Like @Darkhorse04 said dont think our numbers will allow that....normally have what 35-40 kids on the roster compared to a school like Scotland where he comes from.....i will say this upcoming season we have alot of talented skill position players where certain ones wouldnt have to go both ways............sometimes as a fan i prefer it take this past season for instance you our defense seem to be alot better when Kris Williams was on the field

That was a Silas blunder, got to admit, I wasn’t sad to see that guy go. Definetly not a Good addition to our staff last year, didn’t communicate well with our other coaches, it was his way or highway which is why k. Williams didn’t see defense much. Which was dumb. I was certainly not the only one who felt that way.

Last edited:
That was a Silas blunder, got to admit, I wasn’t sad to see that guy go. Definetly not a Good addition to our staff last year, didn’t communicate well with our other coaches, it was his way or highway which is why k. Williams didn’t see defense much. Which was dumb. I was certainly not the only one who felt that way.

Big reason why the defense struggled alot......and having our corners playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage on 3rd and short.....i feel bad for Hobbton

Been seeing the guys out on the practice field in the afternoons....im sure they are busy in the weightroom aswell....their will be some adjusting to do with so many changes having a new coach but i think we have a solid team coming up....interested to see what offense/defense scheme Coach Johnson plans on running

I've been told that he will run the Spread and T-formation. Defense, I'm not sure what he will implement.

Makes sense he said his offense would be determined by his personnel and we have a crap load of speedy running backs(Faison,Armwood,Williams,Wallace) a 260 pound monster of a fullback(J. Smith) and potentially a QB thats basically a running back if its Knowledge Evans.......hopefully some of them linemen have a growth spurt

Told us he was going to run Carson-Newman's (opponent he played against in college while he played defense for Catawba) twin back veer triple option. Primarily run first but expect to throw it about 15 times a game and every game will include one trick play. This is contingent on his being able to find a qb, but this was over a month ago, and they have been in spring training and may have changed due to personnel.

Evans would be a possible candidate for QB was the JV QB in 2016 went 9-1....plan B would be Johnson JV QB from this last seaon not as speedy as Evans but a capable QB......heard something about a upcoming freshman Blake Smith i think his name was suppose to be a really good QB

Told us he was going to run Carson-Newman's (opponent he played against in college while he played defense for Catawba) twin back veer triple option. Primarily run first but expect to throw it about 15 times a game and every game will include one trick play. This is contingent on his being able to find a qb, but this was over a month ago, and they have been in spring training and may have changed due to personnel.

The veer...didnt Sawvel run that offense in 2003?

I think so, and I also remember them running it in the 2001 State Championship against Cummings. T-formation wasn't working, so Coach Lewis switched to veer. It got results!!!

Well they have the RBs to make it work and if thats the offense it would probably be most effective with Evans as the QB....we have enough capable RBs that they ciuld probably switch out every couple of plays.......really excited to see how improved Faison and Armwood are going to be both have tremendous speed especially if you let them get outside then work the middle with big Jalen and some QB keepers with Evans running hard........that offensive line has to come together tho only 2 starters return on the line

I don’t know my tale from a hole in the wall, but I’d be surprised if Evans is the QB.

I heard from outside source that there is a freshman coming up from middle school 9dont know the name) that might could handle it or at least work toward it.

I heard from outside source that there is a freshman coming up from middle school 9dont know the name) that might could handle it or at least work toward it.

Blake Smith is his name i believe.....didnt see the middle school play this year but this kid must be pretty darn good to be receiving that kind of hype....has Clinton ecer had a freshman start at QB.....last one i could remember having a shot was a former classmate of mine Matthew Carter

Also heard good things about a back by the last name Wilson cant remember his first name.......good crop of talent continues to pour in from the middle school.....its a group thats going hit high school in about 3-4 years thats should be really good aswell including the offspring and siblings of some really good former players including Nick Cooper's son,Jamar Hicks son, and Kris Royal's little brother

I believe Blake Smith is the name. Again this is an outside source, the coach didn't say this but the coach said he needs a QB, and he did say he wouldn't be afraid of freshman (again not mentioning any names) I think he was saying that for a freshman learning the system and it a couple years would be well versed, a learning process. But again the source did say the Smith player is the real deal.I didn't see the middle school play last year either so I can't really say. The last middle school player I heard this kind of hype was Skinner and he very well met those expectations.

Guess we will find out more as the summer progresses....kids seem to.be motivated like i said before i see alot of them out on the practice field in the afternoons....alot of new pieces with coach and new offense/defensive schemes.....but this group has a high ceiling

Reactions: Wizard of the East
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT