ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton High New Head Coach

Also, watch Carson Newman on Youtube. They also run the split back Veer, and ran it pretty well. Three yards and a cloud of dust.

Whelp we definitely have the personnel for it....about 5 athletic speedy RBs and 2 hard running Fullbacks

Coach Johnson told me he was going to run the offense Carson-Newman ran, the twin back veer triple option. He played against them in college so i suppose he knows how difficult it is to prepare for that offense defensively..
As FOOTBALLFANATIC said theres plenty of YouTube video on the offense.

Last edited:
That’s cool, wonder though will we pass more than usual? When we ran the T, it worked great when we didn’t need to pass, but when we got into playoffs or against teams we couldn’t just run over, the passing game was almost non-existent and we struggled. I think a balanced offense no matter the base set is ideal nowadays. Just my opinion though.

Think back to when Richlands had that speedy little QB (forgot his name) and they ran the triple option. Their QB was a magician at it, but we along with most teams, still beat them.

Last edited:
That’s cool, wonder though will we pass more than usual? When we ran the T, it worked great when we didn’t need to pass, but when we got into playoffs or against teams we couldn’t just run over, the passing game was almost non-existent and we struggled. I think a balanced offense no matter the base set is ideal nowadays. Just my opinion though.

Think back to when Richlands had that speedy little QB (forgot his name) and they ran the triple option. Their QB was a magician at it, but we along with most teams, still beat them.

Agreed...and the Richlands QB last name was Van Scooter cant remember first name......balance is important cause i dont care how good your RBs are and how good the line blocks when a team is stacking 10 in the box its hard to run the ball....prime example 2016 playoff game vs Northside.....passing atleast keeps teams honest and even more if your completing your attempts they will have no choice but to respect it

Van Scooter, that’s it! Dude had a big red fro. He was very good at the triple option. Coolest name ever.

I would hope so. The Veer does open up the passing lanes a little more than the T.

Also, I wonder if plays will be run in, by hand signals or a combination of both?

Hand signals didnt work to well last year...was alot of confusion when we tried that hurry up.....keep thinking back to that East Bladen game a winnable game in my opinion just got started off horrible player confused by call fumble on a pitch the first play of the game

Any word on the type of defense?
Haven't heard anything on they type of defense. I think hand signals will work the more they are used, especially if coach wants to run a hurry-up offense at some point in a game. But however the plays get in is fine with me, as long as the team is successful.

So many HS teams run no-huddle, we can do it too. Takes practice, repetition, and fighting off the urge to bail on it once adversity comes. Give it a chance.

Not totally against it but i just know they tried to install it last year and struggled....alot of communication errors...maybe Johnson and staff can iron out the kinks this season

Looking at some of Carson-Newman videos i like it when they set up with 3 wide(2 outside 1 slot) atleast that way it forces the defense to spread out loosening up the box.....also a mobile QB makes it alot more dangerous...Johnson has a decent turn of speed looking at some JV vids on hudl....also being able to execute that pitch will probably go a long way to determining who the starting QB will be....Our QB for the last 3 years Williams probably executed the option pitch about as good as i seen

One of the prettiest plays i saw on the tape was like a triple option pass/RPO QB had the option to either run triple option as normal or throw the ball depending on how the secondary reaction....QB fake the dive to one back started to run the 2nd phrase of the option like he was going to keep it or pitch it took a few steps then dropped back hit the outside WR on the fly...wide open...defense got sucked in......this could be a fun offense for us with the guys we have.......eager to see how Coach Johnson plans to run it

Looking at some of Carson-Newman videos i like it when they set up with 3 wide(2 outside 1 slot) atleast that way it forces the defense to spread out loosening up the box.....also a mobile QB makes it alot more dangerous...Johnson has a decent turn of speed looking at some JV vids on hudl....also being able to execute that pitch will probably go a long way to determining who the starting QB will be....Our QB for the last 3 years Williams probably executed the option pitch about as good as i seen
Also along with the Veer, a team can run the Delaware Wing-T as well. Just so many different formations can be run from the Veer! I'm excited to see what Coach Johnson has to offer!

So ready to see this guy and this team in action. Should be an exciting year if nothing more than just not knowing what to expect.

56 days left till the first official day of practice.....if you think about it its coming up fast end of next month July 30

Eager to see what he plans to do on defense especially coming from a defensive background like his

I just hope it’s an aggressive in your face defense.

I asked some of the Scotland posters about his defensive schemes they all said it was solid except for the back end(secondary) not sure if it was the players or the scheme......but looking at what we have potentially in the secondary i dont see that being a problem with us we got some athletes

With some staff coming from Scotland and Coach Johnson and Coach Richard Bailey's relationship how soon do you think we will see a Clinton vs Scotland scrimmage

just not a fan of having a scrimmage with a county team when were already going to scrimmage them in the Jamboree....now if they do it like last year and include some other teams in it ok fine......but like I said scrimmaging against one of the best 4A teams in the state will really give you a good look to where you are as a football team......we really don't gain anything beating on the county schools...Remember how good that spread looked in the scrimmage and jamboree than comes the first game and Cape Fear brought us back down to Earth a bit

Dennis Mcfatten and Hashan Tyson are 2 of the new coaches coming to the staff this year...McFatten was a defensive backs coach for Scotland believe Tyson worked with the either the dline or oline not sure

Saw and heard Coach Johnson as well as the 3 new assistant coaches at the Clinton Rotary Club last night. Very impressive. DarkHorses will run the twin back veer triple option offense. (Carson-Newman) Going to spread the defenses out all over the field. He emphasized special teams. Defense will have multiple fronts. He’s really impressed with the turnout for spring football. Had up to 39 at the end of spring football with the spring sports ending and he's met with the rsing 9th grade class and there were about 30 of them, (good number for 1 class) Nobody has earned a position yet (he has no bias, preconcieved ideas on personnel, fresh look) but he’s impressed with the number of athletes we have. Personally he told me we’re going to be alright. His goal both team and individual , “Get 1% better each day” I’m still impressed and very hopeful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhorse#34
Big 7 on 7 at the practice field today with some current and former players bet thats some entertaining football right there

I also watched videos of DeLa Salle High, where the split back veer has been a staple of their offense. Many good close-up videos of the splits the linemen take. Like Wiz said, it's gonna spread those defenses out.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
I also watched videos of DeLa Salle High, where the split back veer has been a staple of their offense. Many good close-up videos of the splits the linemen take. Like Wiz said, it's gonna spread those defenses out.

Yeah i noticed the splits between linemen watching the Carson-Newman videos

Ok, that's great for teamwork building. On a side note, I didn't realize Coach Johnson was so huge...muscular. Maybe that will translate into getting more of the players into the weight room.

Weight training has always been a staple of our program im sure Coach Johnson will continue that

This is off subject, but this video is East High(Salt Lake City, UT) vs. De La Salle High (Concord, CA). #2 is Jalen Warren, who has Sampson County roots. His dad, Derrick, attended Clinton high until his senior year, then graduated from Hobbton High. De La Salle was nationally ranked at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT