ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Gibbons ADM vs Chambers ADM

I'm not saying they aren't allowed to compete in the NCHSAA because of the rules, I'm saying the ADMs that the Original poster posted doesn't matter, because its a private school. Anyone in the nation can send their kid there to play, as long as they aren't receiving scholarship aid, they can compete in the NCHSAA.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they aren't allowed to compete in the NCHSAA because of the rules, I'm saying the ADMs that the Original poster made doesn't matter, because its a private school. Anyone in the nation can send their kid there to play, as long as they aren't receiving scholarship aid, they can compete in the NCHSAA.
Like kids in Charlotte cant go to schools they want to?? yeah right!!! You act like CG had the number one LB or QB in the nation...smh

Interesting aggressiveness in here. Charlotte Catholic, Gibbons both 4A are playing at the highest level in NC with lower numbers. CTK and Bishop McGuinness both 1A. 4 Parochial/Private schools and people are salty. Comical…btw I coach at a public school so chill.
Public schools must focus on strengthening their pool of players and keeping their coaches!
Catholics coach has been there a long time, Gibbons Coach for a while, McGuinness coach has been there a long time (2x).. continuity. Don’t get into recruiting as McGuinness and CTK do not for football…publics do…(ton of ammo on which publics do so let’s not get into it).

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
If most of the public schools are in favor of it (82%) last I checked Blame them.

I'm not saying they aren't allowed to compete in the NCHSAA because of the rules, I'm saying the ADMs that the Original poster posted doesn't matter, because its a private school. Anyone in the nation can send their kid there to play, as long as they aren't receiving scholarship aid, they can compete in the NCHSAA.
Anyone can send their kid from anywhere to play for any school in the NCHSAA.. what's is your point.

As a head coach I have lost to both Charlotte Catholic and Gibbons and here is how I look at it. We need to get better period. I want to play them and beat them because they are good. I could complain and say they(Gibbons, Catholic) are this or they are that and they have this or that but bottom line is we just need to get better. The two teams I mentioned are here to stay so either you get better and beat them or continue to complain. My objective is to get better and beat them

Its disingenuous to post adm numbers but not note they have a 6 county residency border and are a private school playing with public schools. Then they have selective admission too. Distinct advantages. Its funny how these parochial/private schools can dominate all the other sports and its cool, but then defenders act like that same dominance doesnt carry over to football. Its hypocritical. The majority of parochial school students play sports whereas this isnt the case in public schools. They go there to specifically play a sport.

Most highschools were against charter/private schools playing publics. Thats why they want to say parochail and try to deflect that they are indeed a private school.

Anyone can send their kid from anywhere to play for any school in the NCHSAA.. what's is your point.
Typically, students who attend public schools need to live inside the physical confines of a district (or county), while a kid can live in a county that the parochial isn't even in and still (legally) play a sport under the NCHSAA. I'm not sure that is the same thing,. Add on to the fact that any parent can apply for need based aid to have their kid play at a parochial (which I'm sure includes grants).

Reactions: bigdadd11103
As a head coach I have lost to both Charlotte Catholic and Gibbons and here is how I look at it. We need to get better period. I want to play them and beat them because they are good. I could complain and say they(Gibbons, Catholic) are this or they are that and they have this or that but bottom line is we just need to get better. The two teams I mentioned are here to stay so either you get better and beat them or continue to complain. My objective is to get better and beat them
Coach, if you don't mind me asking. Where did you coach, as a head?

I think Cardinal Gibbons has an easier time of attracting talent than Charlotte Catholic.

Within eight miles or less are Christian, Country Day, Latin, and Providence Day. Basically double the cost, except Christian, but for some not an issue. Those privates also offer some financial aid packages.

Gibbons does not have those type of private schools that offer great athletic programs/facilities near them. Less competition for that student/athlete.

Its disingenuous to post adm numbers but not note they have a 6 county residency border and are a private school playing with public schools. Then they have selective admission too. Distinct advantages. Its funny how these parochial/private schools can dominate all the other sports and its cool, but then defenders act like that same dominance doesnt carry over to football. Its hypocritical. The majority of parochial school students play sports whereas this isnt the case in public schools. They go there to specifically play a sport.

Most highschools were against charter/private schools playing publics. Thats why they want to say parochail and try to deflect that they are indeed a private school.

They also come from affluent families typically who can spend money on specialized training and high quality travel/club sports

They also come from affluent families typically who can spend money on specialized training and high quality travel/club sports
But they will say its no advantage and folks that disagree are the boogie men coming to hate on private schools in public leagues. Its a nationwide problem.

Mater Dei, Bergen, are more comparable to Cardinal Gibbons and Charlotte Catholic then any public school in NC. Lets take a quick peak at some Catholic vs. Public state championship games throughout the nation. So in 12 states where parochial private schools are allowed to play public schools the Parochials went 12-0. A perfect 12-0 beating public highschool state powers pretty handily. This is not even factiring in the other Ctholic football schools that destroyed publics during the year, They are recruiting football factories and havet heir on ranking system amoing themselves. Its a nationwide problem. They shouldn;t compete with public schools as they have no residency boundaries, controlled access, high level resources, and no low income/ high reduced lunch issues. Look at the numbers and honestly tell me its fair,.

Jesuit beat Miami Northwestern 37-12 FL
Cardinal Gibbons beat Chambers 14-2 NC
St. Thomas Aquinas beat Buchholz FL
Chaminade-Madonna beat FSU Tallahassee 38-3 FL
Bishop Gorman Beat McQueen 56-7 NV
St. Edward beat Springfield winning its 5th state title since 2010 OH
Cathedral beat Zionsville 34-14 IN
De La Salle beat Traverse city 41-14 MI
St Josephs beat Garnett Valley 49-13 PA
Central Catholic beat Tualatin 44-14 OR
Christian Brothers beat Liberty North 48-21 MO
St Xavier beat Male 31-21

At the end of the day, it comes down to Jimmy’s & Joe’s. Chambers on paper has more. It was obvious they were being out coached.
Disagree fully. Cardinal Gibbons has a ton of Jimmys and Joes. Stop the myth that these parochial schools dont have elite talent. Looking at the game it was quite obvious CG was more superior on both lines of scrimmage and the LB level. Sure Chambers has great skill guys, but the front 5, and front 7 were easy advantages for CG.

Chambers wasn't outcoached to me. The rain had a bigger effect on Chambers. CG also had a rematch game. Hard to beat them 2x in one season. Chambers to me was worn down throughout the season. I even noted this would likely be there last ship for a while. While they are talented they were not superior on the LOS.

@bigdadd11103 I generally agree with what you said. But I do have a question. Do those other Catholic schools have similar restrictions that Gibbons and Catholic have here? With the current restrictions I generally don’t have an issue with Catholic and Gibbons playing in the 4A.

I still think Chambers is a better overall team than Gibbons. Gibbons was just better that night. I made a post in the game thread about how crucial that score for Gibbons before the rain started was. And I was right.

Disagree fully. Cardinal Gibbons has a ton of Jimmys and Joes. Stop the myth that these parochial schools dont have elite talent. Looking at the game it was quite obvious CG was more superior on both lines of scrimmage and the LB level. Sure Chambers has great skill guys, but the front 5, and front 7 were easy advantages for CG.

Chambers wasn't outcoached to me. The rain had a bigger effect on Chambers. CG also had a rematch game. Hard to beat them 2x in one season. Chambers to me was worn down throughout the season. I even noted this would likely be there last ship for a while. While they are talented they were not superior on the LOS.
Notice i said on paper. As i review roster's often. Collectively they do not have the players like Chambers. I agree with you, they definitely dominated in the trenches. Regarding coaching. I believe Chamber's went away from what they do because of the rain. The 3 and out on offense, had a lot to do with their defense getting worn down. Not a lot of creativity on the offensive side of the ball. They had kids running around wide open the entire game. They didn't take advantage. Chambers has 2 FBS wr's on the roster. It's was like having the guns and a fight, but you never put bullets in the gun, or use the gun. Not a lot of DB's in the State if any, are running with Kevin Concepcion. Isolate that kid and put him in a position to make plays. That outside run was not working. CG had that figured out.

Last edited:
There’s so many myths in this. Gibbons has one player that is an FBS recruit over the last year. If they are recruiting, they need to fire their recruiting coordinator he’s done a horrible job. Their next two best players are FCS if lucky. This myth about the talent is a joke. Before they played this game everyone spoke about how undersized unathletic the Cardinal Gibbons players were. Even coaches were insinuating they were not athletically on the same parallel. So now they are monsters of the midway?

If you knew the rules you would know CC/Cardinal Gibbons is not on the level of those private schools you mentioned because those are boarding schools that offer scholarships. CC/Cardinal Gibbons do not offer scholarships and if the students receive financial aid they cannot play sports. Having said that, I will say they may have advantages in the club sports where there are travel teams and travel leagues, but I’m not aware of such things happening in football. I would truly buy that argument when we talking about baseball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, gymnastics which is why more so than football people are against the parochial / private schools.

At the end of the day, it comes down to Jimmy’s & Joe’s. Chambers on paper has more. It was obvious they were being out coached.
Not necessarily. CG is strong and talented and it is a commited group that makes little mistakes. It's always "easier" if you are bigger faster stronger but CG looks good on the hoof and they play a disciplined smart game.

Not necessarily. CG is strong and talented and it is a commited group that makes little mistakes. It's always "easier" if you are bigger faster stronger but CG looks good on the hoof and they play a disciplined smart game.
CG made mistakes, that chambers didn't take advantage of. Their coaches put them in positions to make plays, and they made them. The two, 9 route deep balls were huge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT