ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Gibbons ADM vs Chambers ADM

For this topic, we are talking about all sports, not just football. At the end of the day, many feel that it should be public vs public, and private vs private. Separation of church and state, if you will. The latest vote saw 234 schools against parochial schools, and 51 for. With 105 schools deciding to not vote at all. 293 were needed for the ban, which did not happen.

Legendary News & Observer prep sports editor Tim Stevens then reported on six Rowan County schools proposing a change to the NCHSAA constitution to ban non-boarding parochial schools Cardinal Gibbons (Raleigh), Bishop McGuinness (Kernersville) and Charlotte Catholic from the organization.

The NCHSAA was obligated to allow its membership to vote on any issue requested by six member schools.

A four-point letter from Salisbury explained the rationale for changing the constitution to exclude the non-boarding parochial schools.

1) The schools had no geographical boundaries.

2) The schools did not have to admit students who were unable to participate in athletics and therefore had a higher percentage of their enrollment who were potential athletes.

3) The schools could admit students based on athletic performance.

4) The schools could appeal eligibility requirements about transfers to the NCHSAA.

The vote required 75 percent of NCHSAA members – or 293 of the association’s 390 schools – to vote in favor in order for the amendment to pass.

The vote had 234 in favor of removing Cardinal Gibbons, Charlotte Catholic and Bishop McGuinness from the association. There were 51 schools that voted to allow them to remain, while 105 abstained.

Three things stood out to me then, and still do.

1) Championships.

Stevens noted Gibbons had won 34 state titles at that time and Catholic had won 21.

I thought those were eye-popping numbers then.

Here’s a suggestion: put on sunglasses, or squint really hard, ’cause I don’t want anyone to detach a retina when they see the updated numbers.

Cardinal Gibbons has won 73 state titles since 2005, while Charlotte Catholic has won 75 state titles in its history, with 63 of those coming since 2000.

I guess we’re just going to pretend this is normal?

It’s not hyperbole to suggest the vast majority of athletic programs in the state haven’t won conference championships at this rate during the same time period.

These two programs have combined to win 136 state titles in the past two decades.

For comparison sake, East Carteret and West Carteret have each been around for about 60 years and combined to win seven state titles.

Now that’s normal.

Why?

Because it’s extremely difficult to win a state championship … as it should be.

You’re not supposed to average 4.3 state titles per year for the past 17 years as Cardinal Gibbons has.

2) Geography & Population

Students at these schools had to meet geographical requirements if they lived in the county where the school is located, lived within a 25-mile radius of the school (or a distance established by the system) or were a member of a parochial church.

Stevens noted a 25-mile radius around Raleigh included eight other counties in addition to Wake County.

Yes, that’s right. Eight.

And these aren’t small-population counties.

If you use a population radius map tool, you’ll find the populations in a 25-mile radius around Raleigh and Charlotte are in the high six figures.

You’ll also find the populations in a 25-mile radius around Morehead City and Havelock are not in the high six figures.

Far from it.

3) Time.

Stevens noted that previously in November 1985, seven schools asked the NCHSAA to remove Charlotte Catholic from its membership over concerns with geographic boundaries. In May 1986, with a three-fourths majority needed, 54 percent of member schools voted for change while 46 percent were against.

Wait.

So, we’ve been dealing with this issue for over 35 years, and we’re still dealing with it.

On the Bishop McGuinness girls basketball website ladyvillainsbasketball.com – the team won nine straight state titles from 2006 to 2014 in its first nine years in the NCHSAA – it has a section devoted to “Catholic Schools in the NCHSAA And Other Articles.”

It consists of more than a dozen newspaper stories dating back to 2006 detailing the controversy and criticism of these three non-boarding parochial athletic programs.

The page suggests that when you win at the rate of these schools, it’s only natural to receive criticism.

Perhaps.

But when you win at an astronomical rate and do so under different guidelines, perhaps criticism is warranted.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
There’s so many myths in this. Gibbons has one player that is an FBS recruit over the last year. If they are recruiting, they need to fire their recruiting coordinator he’s done a horrible job. Their next two best players are FCS if lucky. This myth about the talent is a joke. Before they played this game everyone spoke about how undersized unathletic the Cardinal Gibbons players were. Even coaches were insinuating they were not athletically on the same parallel. So now they are monsters of the midway?

If you knew the rules you would know CC/Cardinal Gibbons is not on the level of those private schools you mentioned because those are boarding schools that offer scholarships. CC/Cardinal Gibbons do not offer scholarships and if the students receive financial aid they cannot play sports. Having said that, I will say they may have advantages in the club sports where there are travel teams and travel leagues, but I’m not aware of such things happening in football. I would truly buy that argument when we talking about baseball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, gymnastics which is why more so than football people are against the parochial / private schools.
Prudent person rule. If u took the make ups of CG/CC as a whole vs. Public school would CG/CC look more like a private school or a public school? Ill wait.

I gave 12 examples of a Catholic Parochial school vs. A dominat public school in championships and the catholic schools went 12-0. 😳 even an anamoly wouldnt explain that. Those guys go there specifically to play football and get a private school education. They should play with like minded privates. This is a nationwide issue with these privates schools double dipping in public leagues. If it were balanced they wouldn't need a 6 county residency border. Imagine a public school being able to select a roster of 45 from a 6 county radius.

Reactions: raiderstud
U cant compare talent with FBS numbers. Chambers has more FBS talent. CG has more HS talent. Chambers top 3 likely High D1. The majority of that roster is avg. To good. CG has elite HS talent. Players 5-40 CG like has a 25 to 15 advantage. Dont let sterotypes blind you. CG has excellent talent. Along the lines CG has superior talent.

If you knew the rules you would know CC/Cardinal Gibbons is not on the level of those private schools you mentioned because those are boarding schools that offer scholarships. CC/Cardinal Gibbons do not offer scholarships and if the students receive financial aid they cannot play sports. Having said that, I will say they may have advantages in the club sports where there are travel teams and travel leagues, but I’m not aware of such things happening in football. I would truly buy that argument when we talking about baseball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, gymnastics which is why more so than football people are against the parochial / private schools.
I agree with your thoughts for the most part.

Most parochial schools I know of or have visited are not boarding schools. Some may be but for the most part they are "community" schools. Community being the Catholic population is a general area. In the north that area is much smaller due to the number of the schools and some have actual geographical districts.

I was on the field (until the bottom dropped out) and CG had some very impressive bodies.

The previous Saturday the CG HC told me they matched up better with Chambers than they did Hough and felt they had picked up on some things they could exploit. I would say their offense did that. Thought Chambers themselves was a big part of their problem on offense. I do not care what I have to do but Kevin Concepcion is getting the ball in his hands some way. With that said, CG's 11 on D play, smart, hard, and fast. They work together, do not make many mistakes, and knowing what to do/where to be allows them play faster. Was impressed with their prep.

Btango correct. Folks act like CG is not super talented. Chambers has oline issues. They just dont dominate upfront. Biggest difference to me was qb play for chambers. Austin Grier was a very good player

Prudent person rule. If u took the make ups of CG/CC as a whole vs. Public school would CG/CC look more like a private school or a public school? Ill wait.

I gave 12 examples of a Catholic Parochial school vs. A dominat public school in championships and the catholic schools went 12-0. 😳 even an anamoly wouldnt explain that. Those guys go there specifically to play football and get a private school education. They should play with like minded privates. This is a nationwide issue with these privates schools double dipping in public leagues. If it were balanced they wouldn't need a 6 county residency border. Imagine a public school being able to select a roster of 45 from a 6 county radius.
Another example of someone who knows nothing about Cardinal Gibbons. I live in Waite County I’ve seen them I know kids went there, it looks a lot more like your typical small for a public school than you think. I don’t know what you believe but the way the diocese is they cannot go out and recruit 45 guys to play football or any other sport. They cannot. If you think about it this thread says they have an ATM of about 1500 students. If they were recruiting even 100 athletes, the diocese would be upset because the school gives primary consideration to Catholics. The numbers don’t work for Cardinal Gibbons and I suspect I don’t work for Charlotte Catholic. What do you choose to believe it is up to you but the numbers just don’t work.

Another example of someone who knows nothing about Cardinal Gibbons. I live in Waite County I’ve seen them I know kids went there, it looks a lot more like your typical small for a public school than you think. I don’t know what you believe but the way the diocese is they cannot go out and recruit 45 guys to play football or any other sport. They cannot. If you think about it this thread says they have an ATM of about 1500 students. If they were recruiting even 100 athletes, the diocese would be upset because the school gives primary consideration to Catholics. The numbers don’t work for Cardinal Gibbons and I suspect I don’t work for Charlotte Catholic. What do you choose to believe it is up to you but the numbers just don’t work.
You missing my point. The students at CG are selected to go there and meet certain requirements and its not open to the general public so by having a selective non random process they control their enrollment which allows for a better student athlete. Add to this no residency boundary restrictions for 6 counties u get dominance across multiple sports. CG dominates volleyball, cross country, lacrosse, swimming and wrestling. They CLEARLY have an advantage. If you took the total state championships between CG/CC those two schools have won more combined ships than almost 98% of the state. But u want to say its an even field? Its not.

We looking at football. Cardinal gibbons has won 75 state championships since 2005 in all sports. 75 is a big anamoly. CC has won 65 ships in that time frame. So between two parochial private schools they have won nearly 150 state championship in less than 25 years? Find me two other schools that have won at that rate. I'll wait. Hell ill give u the entire county of wake or Mecklenburg all the teams combined.

Last edited:
Notice i said on paper. As i review roster's often. Collectively they do not have the players like Chambers. I agree with you, they definitely dominated in the trenches. Regarding coaching. I believe Chamber's went away from what they do because of the rain. The 3 and out on offense, had a lot to do with their defense getting worn down. Not a lot of creativity on the offensive side of the ball. They had kids running around wide open the entire game. They didn't take advantage. Chambers has 2 FBS wr's on the roster. It's was like having the guns and a fight, but you never put bullets in the gun, or use the gun. Not a lot of DB's in the State if any, are running with Kevin Concepcion. Isolate that kid and put him in a position to make plays. That outside run was not working. CG had that figured out.
On paper CG is more talented and not close to me. Agree 100% about Concepcion. You have to get him the ball. The mental play that seemed to doom Chambers was when Hollywood got lose and slipped at the 3 or so. Dry weather that's a TD. QB fumbles next play. That was a super emotional drain. Chambers played their game, but ran into the rematch monster to me. The same monster that bit MAllard Creek, that bit Hough, bit Chambers. Its super hard to beat great teams 2X as their is a mental aspect to it. Hell the chiefs couldn't even beat the Bucs 2x in one season. Its tough. CG is very well coached.

On paper CG is more talented and not close to me. Agree 100% about Concepcion. You have to get him the ball. The mental play that seemed to doom Chambers was when Hollywood got lose and slipped at the 3 or so. Dry weather that's a TD. QB fumbles next play. That was a super emotional drain. Chambers played their game, but ran into the rematch monster to me. The same monster that bit MAllard Creek, that bit Hough, bit Chambers. Its super hard to beat great teams 2X as their is a mental aspect to it. Hell the chiefs couldn't even beat the Bucs 2x in one season. Its tough. CG is very well coached.
You do recall you predicted that Gibbons wins vs Rolesville, Chambers wins vs Hough then Chambers beats the breaks off Gibbons. YOU went on about how much better chambers was and NOW you are saying "on paper CG is more talented nd not close to me." Huh? I think another one mad about the outcome looking for an excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: crusaders13
But they will say its no advantage and folks that disagree are the boogie men coming to hate on private schools in public leagues. Its a nationwide problem.

Mater Dei, Bergen, are more comparable to Cardinal Gibbons and Charlotte Catholic then any public school in NC. Lets take a quick peak at some Catholic vs. Public state championship games throughout the nation. So in 12 states where parochial private schools are allowed to play public schools the Parochials went 12-0. A perfect 12-0 beating public highschool state powers pretty handily. This is not even factiring in the other Ctholic football schools that destroyed publics during the year, They are recruiting football factories and havet heir on ranking system amoing themselves. Its a nationwide problem. They shouldn;t compete with public schools as they have no residency boundaries, controlled access, high level resources, and no low income/ high reduced lunch issues. Look at the numbers and honestly tell me its fair,.

Jesuit beat Miami Northwestern 37-12 FL
Cardinal Gibbons beat Chambers 14-2 NC
St. Thomas Aquinas beat Buchholz FL
Chaminade-Madonna beat FSU Tallahassee 38-3 FL
Bishop Gorman Beat McQueen 56-7 NV
St. Edward beat Springfield winning its 5th state title since 2010 OH
Cathedral beat Zionsville 34-14 IN
De La Salle beat Traverse city 41-14 MI
St Josephs beat Garnett Valley 49-13 PA
Central Catholic beat Tualatin 44-14 OR
Christian Brothers beat Liberty North 48-21 MO
St Xavier beat Male 31-21
Big Dad I am intimately aware of Bishop Gorman and the Catholic school in Chicago,. I am genuinely aware of others parochial school systems but not to the level of my understanding of Bishop Gorman and the catholic schools in Illinois.

Bishop Gorman does not resemble CCHS or Cardinal gibbons in the make up of it school, its program or the make up of the community. There are no accurate comparisons that you can make between these schools. This is where I make my comments that you are mile wide and an inch deep in your knowledge. You look for correlations to support your opinions and fears instead of finding basis supported by scientific peer reviewed information.

Not once has anyone provided a peer reviewed study that a larger radius for a school gives them an advantage.. nor have they discussed the differences in the public school system with the disparity of where you draw students from. The fact you believe your proposition should have credibility without a shred of basis is more for a mob mentality versus a proposal based on critical thought. You also demonstrate a shallow understanding of why a parochial school system more resemble a public school than a private high school. It only takes a little research to understand that and read about systems around the country to gain some wisdom on the subject. However, since this does not support your position you conform to being intellectually lazy.

What concerns me is the promotion of a exclusion because something does not seem the same to you regardless of any critical thought derived from a peer review study or solid basis. Acting on these impulses is considered a mob movement in most places in the country. The practice of exclusion it is simply a scary social mistake that should not be repeated again in America.

The fact is more students move into the public schools from other public schools to play sports than whom ever contemplate transferring to a parochial school. Parochial Schools actually have transfer rules applied to them. The public school system has many different boundaries types. I have asked a question several times, if a school is 90% catholic and catholics only make up a small part of the population then how big of a boundary is needed to create their student body. It is basic math.

Let's not forget the schools belong to all tax payers, including those with children in parochial school and those with no children.. so when I hear that parochial schools should not be playing our schools, it creates doubt that they know who the schools belong to and who the schools support.

I have always felt that the "district line" for Parochials should be membership in the Diocese. If not moving from another Catholic Diocese then two years in good standing before you play sports. I do not think this would change much for Charlotte Catholic football and for the most part other sports. I am not sure about Cardinal Gibbons. I think non football sports could see some roster turnover.

To me, this makes them a true community school team. No complaints.

Reactions: ocdavis31
Typically, students who attend public schools need to live inside the physical confines of a district (or county), while a kid can live in a county that the parochial isn't even in and still (legally) play a sport under the NCHSAA. I'm not sure that is the same thing,. Add on to the fact that any parent can apply for need based aid to have their kid play at a parochial (which I'm sure includes grants).
they can apply for need (grants) and will most likely be granted ----- but my understanding is that kid aint playing at Charlotte Catholic if they receive any financial assistance. A distinction solely reserved for the parochial school.

Have you ever met a person so dedicated to separating one group of kids from another?? So obsessed as "Bigdad" to keep one group of kids being banished from playing another group of kids. Just sad and shows you how hard someone will work to find differences (and be unable to contain his own social jealousies). LET THEM PLAY TOGETHER, I'm sure they can figure it out better than "Bigdad" when they try and work together instead of to exclude each other.

When I say on paper. I'm speaking of players on the roster, that have shown their ability on the field that have drawn interest of numerous college scouts. No comparison between the 2 programs. Not a rematch monster regarding MC when they lost to Chambers. Even the chambers coaching staff at Vance, couldn't understand why Creek wouldn't run the ball with that massive FBS OL, that averaged 6'4" 305lbs, with Trent Simpson & QuaSean Holmes in the backfield. The OL was begging the OC to run the ball.(see DF game) Instead we were locked into a Damn Air Raid offense. I was in the press box with the media, and was asked a zillion times. Why don't they just run the ball? The Creek like Chambers was built to beat their opponents twice. Game planning and not using the full arsenal of weapons was the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdadd11103
I am not arguing recruiting, anything else.

But the fact thst parochial and charter schools have a built in advantage is irrefutable. To argue other wise is to be willingly ignorant or intellectually dishonest. Even the schools themselves will tell you that they have an advantage. That is not their fault. They are following the rules that are being used for the most part.

The overabundance of state titles and appearances, as well as Wachovia Cup dominance, are impossible to ignore.

that being said, recruiting is rampant all over the state and instead of helping police it, the NCHSAA puts its head in the sand, defers to counties, and puts on nice but needless programs. Coach/captain retreats are great, but id rather you make teams follow rules.

Its only getting worse.

The vast majority of coaches/ADs/principals etc. would not want charter or parochial schools truth be told, but are unable to express this in most cases because of education and county politics. Ive never spoken to a coach who thought otherwise. There are some, but they are in the minority.

Thats just the way it is. You can argue with me until youre blue in the face.

Finally, people see a few blue chip recruits and think thats "more talent". Depth of talent is important in foobtall, as is coaching. One team may have more top shelf talent, but the other have more depth of talent. We all act like we are at practice with these schools.

I didn't start the thread. Just noting that someone compared adm numbers but they didn't mention CC or CG has no boundaries which is a great advantage. If you dont think not having boundaries isn't a clear advantage not sure what to say. You can say public kids switch schools which they do. CC, and CG dont have to worry about that as they have a 6 county advantage, As evidence I've submitted.

1. In state title games played between traditionally Catholic football private schools and public schools the Catholic Schools went 12-0. Clean sweep in every matchup and 9 of 12 were lopsided games. This is not an anamoly. When you have no boundaries you can recruit better players and have more access to better players.

2. Those two schools have won 150 state championships in 20 years or so. Those two schools have more championships than the combined totals of ALL highschools in Mecklenburg, and Wake Counties in ALL sports combined. Let that sink in.

3. They pull athletes from a much wider geographical area than public schools which are bound by district lines. Add in more competition for public school players.

4. Nationally there has been debate on Catholic Schools and it was noted/found that the majority almost 90% of Catholic Highschool students play sports. Meaning they go to these schools specifically to play sports and are pushed and encouraged to do so. They are mini sports factories. They were built as such to spread Catholicism and make it more mainstream. sports is a part of the religious approach.

5. The 2022 Niche Best Highschools for athletes noted the following Catholic SChools as best for Athletes nationally. 7 of the top 10 are Catholic Highschools. 20 of the top 25 are Catholic Highschools and guess who is #20? Cardinal Gibbons noted as A+ for sports.

1. Mater Dei

2. St. Thomas Aquinas

4. LaSalle

6. Central Catholic

7. St. Edward

8. Salesianum School

9. Gonzaga

20. Cardinal Gibbons.

So dont say its an even playing field as its not. Coaches/Admin dont want to speak out on it as they fear looking like a bad guy and angering Catholic Elitist. Its much deeper than just a vote to remove them. When over 80% said remove them thats all you really need to say in how people really feel.

Last edited:
If players from Cardinal Gibbons tried out for Mater Dei. They might have 1 or 2, that would get decent playing time. Totally different animals.

Reactions: mrhonda
If players from Cardinal Gibbons tried out for Mater Dei. They might have 1 or 2, that would get decent playing time. Totally different animals.
Different animals same species. Its the same set up except for the direct recruiting. Same Catholic pride, same attend this school for sports.

Nepsy you are a smart guy and I respect your opinion. Tell me how two high schools have won nearly 150 state championships combined in all sports in approximately 20 years? More than all of the schools combined in Mecklenburg and Wake County combined. 2 schools over a near 25 schools total and its not close. Riddle me how this same conversation is taking place in FL, OH, WA, OR, and other states where a private Catholic Highschool beat a dominant public school high school in a 12-0 sweep? Not one public school won any of these matchups. Lastly tell me why these Catholic highschools (CC/CG) dont want to compete with other private schools or Parochial schools? It would appear that competing with schools with same demographics and same non residency restrictions would give them a huge advantage. If CC, or CG had the typical 3-4 mile residency radius that a public school has what would their programs look like?

Different animals same species. Its the same set up except for the direct recruiting. Same Catholic pride, same attend this school for sports.

Nepsy you are a smart guy and I respect your opinion. Tell me how two high schools have won nearly 150 state championships combined in all sports in approximately 20 years? More than all of the schools combined in Mecklenburg and Wake County combined. 2 schools over a near 25 schools total and its not close. Riddle me how this same conversation is taking place in FL, OH, WA, OR, and other states where a private Catholic Highschool beat a dominant public school high school in a 12-0 sweep? Not one public school won any of these matchups. Lastly tell me why these Catholic highschools (CC/CG) dont want to compete with other private schools or Parochial schools? It would appear that competing with schools with same demographics and same non residency restrictions would give them a huge advantage. If CC, or CG had the typical 3-4 mile residency radius that a public school has what would their programs look like?
You guys are way over my IQ when discussing Catholic Schools, Private and Parochial schools. My knowledge is basic. I do know that Mater Dei Football team, is ran like a fine tuned business, that sends 15 to 20 power 5 kids to school annually. They are basically a feeder school for FBS programs. I doubt very few public schools, if any could beat them on the Football field. CC & CG do not get those types of kids. Mater Dei also plays in the CIF. CIF membership includes both public and private high schools. The conference they play in, is the #1 High School Football conference in the Nation. As the teams they play have similar resources. Unlike most other state organizations, it does not have a single, statewide championships for all sports; instead, for some sports, the CIF's 10 Sections each have their own championships. Which makes since, because they're not taking any L's anytime soon. Just my personal opinion. I just don't see the large advantages that CG or CC have in the state of NC. My opinion is strictly based off of Jimmy's and Joe's. I'm not knowledgeable enough to have a conversation with you outside of that. If they were built like Mater Dei. I'm agreeing with you 100%

Last edited:
You guys are way over my IQ when discussing Catholic Schools, Private and Parochial schools. My knowledge is basic. I do know that Mater Dei Football team, is ran like a fine tuned business, that sends 15 to 20 power 5 kids to school annually. They are basically a feeder school for FBS programs. I doubt very few public schools, if any could beat them on the Football field. CC & CG do not get those types of kids. Mater Dei also plays in the CIF. CIF membership includes both public and private high schools. The conference they play in, is the #1 High School Football conference in the Nation. As the teams they play have similar resources. Unlike most other state organizations, it does not have a single, statewide championships for all sports; instead, for some sports, the CIF's 10 Sections each have their own championships. Which makes since, because they're not taking any L's anytime soon. Just my personal opinion. I just don't see the large advantages that CG or CC have in the state of NC. My opinion is strictly based off of Jimmy's and Joe's. I'm not knowledgeable enough to have a conversation with you outside of that. If they were built like Mater Dei. I'm agreeing with you 100%
Respect that opinion. When looking at 150 championships in 20 years combined which is more than all of the high schools combined in the states two largest counties its clear they have an advantage.

Put it this way. If MC were given a roster of 45 players and they could choose said players from Mecklenburg, Gaston, Cabarrus, Lancaster, SC, Union, York, SC, and Iredell counties, and they had the right to refuse players they didn't want. Residency restrictions would not factor in. Do you A. Think MC would be better than they are now, or B. worse than they are now, C. The same?

Now take that same Mallard Creek team and limit them to 3.5 miles and add in competition from Chambers, North, and Hough and you can not select who you get. Whats assigned to you is what you get. Which Mallard Creek team do you think would fair better?

Respect that opinion. When looking at 150 championships in 20 years combined which is more than all of the high schools combined in the states two largest counties its clear they have an advantage.

Put it this way. If MC were given a roster of 45 players and they could choose said players from Mecklenburg, Gaston, Cabarrus, Lancaster, SC, Union, York, SC, and Iredell counties, and they had the right to refuse players they didn't want. Residency restrictions would not factor in. Do you A. Think MC would be better than they are now, or B. worse than they are now, C. The same?

Now take that same Mallard Creek team and limit them to 3.5 miles and add in competition from Chambers, North, and Hough and you can not select who you get. Whats assigned to you is what you get. Which Mallard Creek team do you think would fair better?
What you are describing above does not happen at Charlotte Catholic (cant speak for CG). Catholic does not get 45 players from around the region they get to choose from to come play football. Catholic gets Players from the feeder school systems and they are almost exclusively Catholic. The "School Boundries" you say constrain Public but not Catholic is a myth. We have a 30 mile boundary because of the lack of population density of the Catholic community in the Charlotte area. Basically we should have around the same number of eligible Catholic atheletes in that area as Public schools have in there areas. I cant answer for the Catholic schools around the country that obviously recruit big time programs, just none of what you describe above happens at Catholic. So its just a lie to fool people into thinking Catholic is doing thing they absolutely are not doing and have not done.

Last edited:

As of today. I believe Mallard Creek is zoned for the best athlete's in Charlotte. I believe Highland Creek is one of the largest sub-division in the State, approximately 13,000 residents They have at least 6 new apartment complexes within 2 miles from the school that are just opening, A lot of new real-estate in the area also. 85% of the parents are college graduates, and have great resources. Of course if they are able to go into different counties, they would probably be better. Palmieri knew he had something special in the area when he 1st arrived. When my son was in the 9th grade, they had so many kids try out for JV, they tried to run kids and make them quit. They had over 150 kids tryout for JV. Through the success they've had throughout the years. The numbers decrease, because a lot of them were afraid to tryout. I've watched Catholic get off the bus a few times. They look like NASA interns. They might have access to lots of counties, but they're not good at recruiting, if that's what they're doing. I have no clue where you recruit 5'8" 150lb DB'S. The only thing that keeps Hough competitive, is that they recruit like the privates you speak of. Over 50% of their starters, live nowhere near Cornelius. :) They get mad when you call them out about it.

Last edited:
I am not arguing recruiting, anything else.

But the fact thst parochial and charter schools have a built in advantage is irrefutable. To argue other wise is to be willingly ignorant or intellectually dishonest. Even the schools themselves will tell you that they have an advantage. That is not their fault. They are following the rules that are being used for the most part.

The overabundance of state titles and appearances, as well as Wachovia Cup dominance, are impossible to ignore.

that being said, recruiting is rampant all over the state and instead of helping police it, the NCHSAA puts its head in the sand, defers to counties, and puts on nice but needless programs. Coach/captain retreats are great, but id rather you make teams follow rules.

Its only getting worse.

The vast majority of coaches/ADs/principals etc. would not want charter or parochial schools truth be told, but are unable to express this in most cases because of education and county politics. Ive never spoken to a coach who thought otherwise. There are some, but they are in the minority.

Thats just the way it is. You can argue with me until youre blue in the face.

Finally, people see a few blue chip recruits and think thats "more talent". Depth of talent is important in foobtall, as is coaching. One team may have more top shelf talent, but the other have more depth of talent. We all act like we are at practice with these schools.
I won't deny Charlotte Catholic has some advantages over your run of the mill public schools. I also won't deny our football program has some distinct disadvantages to some of the larger richer schools in the area (and yes a few of the publics in North and South Charlotte are much wealthier on average than Catholic) including having much larger ADM's of athletes to chose from and far superior facilities(Ardrey Kell, Marvin Ridge, Weddington, Myers park and Hough jump most Immediately to mind).

So are you one of the lets see if we can come up with a fair way to even the playing field guys or are you one of the ban them and don't let them play with each other guys? As a devout Catholic I have exceptional insight into WWJD in this circumstance..

I think Cardinal Gibbons has an easier time of attracting talent than Charlotte Catholic.

Within eight miles or less are Christian, Country Day, Latin, and Providence Day. Basically double the cost, except Christian, but for some not an issue. Those privates also offer some financial aid packages.

Gibbons does not have those type of private schools that offer great athletic programs/facilities near them. Less competition for that student/athlete.
True.

I won't deny Charlotte Catholic has some advantages over your run of the mill public schools. I also won't deny our football program has some distinct disadvantages to some of the larger richer schools in the area (and yes a few of the publics in North and South Charlotte are much wealthier on average than Catholic) including having much larger ADM's of athletes to chose from and far superior facilities(Ardrey Kell, Marvin Ridge, Weddington, Myers park and Hough jump most Immediately to mind).

So are you one of the lets see if we can come up with a fair way to even the playing field guys or are you one of the ban them and don't let them play with each other guys? As a devout Catholic I have exceptional insight into WWJD in this circumstance..
At least you admit its an advantage. For someone to say its 30miles is not entirely correct. 30miles and bordering counties.

You ask WWJD? He likely wouldn't care IMHO but like you mentioned you are a devout Catholic. If there was an AME Zion, or Southern Baptist team , or an exclusive protestant team that could pull from 6 counties and dominated like the Catholic schools nationally you likely would feel differently.

The Catholic schools use sports as a sense of pride and are hard working to build their schools and athletic programs. But they are a private school. They should compete with other private schools IMHO. Too much evidence has been presented showing clear dominance. You cant honestly say they have an advantage in country club sports, and advantages in academics, an advantage in affluence, and then think that advantage mysteriously stops at football. They like the advantage because it favors them and helps them build school pride and helps them financially. Its a religious connected pride.

At least you admit its an advantage. For someone to say its 30miles is not entirely correct. 30miles and bordering counties.

You ask WWJD? He likely wouldn't care IMHO but like you mentioned you are a devout Catholic. If there was an AME Zion, or Southern Baptist team , or an exclusive protestant team that could pull from 6 counties and dominated like the Catholic schools nationally you likely would feel differently.

The Catholic schools use sports as a sense of pride and are hard working to build their schools and athletic programs. But they are a private school. They should compete with other private schools IMHO. Too much evidence has been presented showing clear dominance. You cant honestly say they have an advantage in country club sports, and advantages in academics, an advantage in affluence, and then think that advantage mysteriously stops at football. They like the advantage because it favors them and helps them build school pride and helps them financially. Its a religious connected pride.
Although Mater Dei plays some elite Public schools. Their conference is basically private or Catholic schools. Btango probably knows more about these schools. Are these all private schools?

School Name*W-L*Pct.*PF*PAW-LPct.PFPAStrk
Mater Dei5-01.0002559112-01.00054815212 W
Centennial5-01.0003293811-10.9176621301 L
St. John Bosco4-10.80017910010-20.8334542261 L
Mission Viejo3-01.000132259-20.8183902181 L
Los Alamitos5-01.000230639-20.8184592341 L
Servite3-20.60020410310-30.7695272111 L
Norco4-10.800226998-30.7274402931 L

Santa Margarita2-30.4001131866-50.5452883181 L

Last edited:
Pretty sure Mater Dei plays one or two big public schools every year, and then the rest are mostly other Catholic schools - there are a number in that area. Servite is private. That's probably their biggest competition.

I think Bishop Gorman plays more public schools because there aren't as many Catholic schools around. In football at least.

At any rate, those schools are nothing like Cardinal Gibbons or Charlotte Catholic. Mater Dei is closer to a D1 college program. Gorman has a 40,000 sqft athletic facility.

Pretty sure Mater Dei plays one or two big public schools every year, and then the rest are mostly other Catholic schools - there are a number in that area. Servite is private. That's probably their biggest competition.

I think Bishop Gorman plays more public schools because there aren't as many Catholic schools around. In football at least.

At any rate, those schools are nothing like Cardinal Gibbons or Charlotte Catholic. Mater Dei is closer to a D1 college program. Gorman has a 40,000 sqft athletic facility.
My sentiments exactly. If Cardinal Gibbons or Catholic played Mater Dei Schedule, they would most likely go 0-12

Last edited:

We are just so far apart in how we see problems vs how to handle them. The basic difference is if our football program has an advantage, even it out and let em play. You think they cant play together. I would like a society that doesn't see wealth, income or color just what you accomplish. I don't like dividing kids in grade school by economics and ethnicity (I understand the hypocrisy of that statement while defending private schools), but I think sending kids to a religious oriented school for a religious edutaction is MUCH different than sending your kid to a rich private school for advantage.

My sentiments exactly. If Cardinal Gibbons or Catholic played Mater Dei Schedule, they would most likely go 0-12

Whole different level. Lol. Oscar Smith is probably the closest thing VA has to a Cardinal Gibbons, Chambers, etc. They played St John Bosco in Chesapeake, lost 49 - 0, and it could've been much worse. Bosco lost their next game to Mater Dei by three TDs.

Although Mater Dei plays some elite Public schools. Their conference is basically private or Catholic schools. Btango probably knows more about these schools. Are these all private schools?

School Name*W-L*Pct.*PF*PAW-LPct.PFPAStrk
Mater Dei5-01.0002559112-01.00054815212 W
Centennial5-01.0003293811-10.9176621301 L
St. John Bosco4-10.80017910010-20.8334542261 L
Mission Viejo3-01.000132259-20.8183902181 L
Los Alamitos5-01.000230639-20.8184592341 L
Servite3-20.60020410310-30.7695272111 L
Norco4-10.800226998-30.7274402931 L

Santa Margarita2-30.4001131866-50.5452883181 L
Mater Dei, SJB, and Servite are Parochial. The others are public.

Went to practices at Bishop G with a friend. He and his business partner's kids played there and they donated a lot of money to the school. Top of the line facilities with medical and rehab setup you would see at an ACC school.

Have been to MD. Nice but not up to BG level although BG had just gotten a makeover when I was there.

Honestly they should be playing other private schools. I think the issue is that, at least in football, there are just so few privates that could compete with them.

This is actually a much bigger problem in other sports. And its not confined to parochial schools, the charter mess is ridiculous too.

No matter the solution, it will not be palatable with someone. You just cant make everyone happy.

And as I said, the NCHSAA needs to work on stopping the recruiting thats going on at a lot of schools, too.

But heres the bottom line- if you are able to advertise for students, you shouldnt be playing with schools that cant.

Recruiting students but not recruiting athletes is too fine a line for even an honest man to walk.

The schools are just completely different types of schools.

Even if the parochial schools were LOSING, I dont think they should be in the same organization. they are just an entirely different type of school.

However, they are not going anywhere anytime soon. There are more options for the charters (multiplier, move up a class, seperate playoffs), but for example CG is already 4A. Cant move them up.

There may not be an answer honestly.

And this has nothing to do with what Jesus would do. When trying to construct an fair system, just letting someone play to be nice is not how it works.

I respect CG. Watch them play, and you see immediately that they are well coached and disciplined. They get the most out of their kids. The advanteges they and other charter/parochial schools have is impossible to quantify. They are certainly not the only schools with great coaching and facilities. But there is an advantege there somewhere. And while every school isdifferent, these type schools are just so different that they shouldnt be playing in the NCHSAA.

But as I said, I dont see that changing for a long time. And honestly the charters are a bigger issue.

CG made mistakes, that chambers didn't take advantage of. Their coaches put them in positions to make plays, and they made them. The two, 9 route deep balls were huge.
I am not talking specifics just in general. CG doesn't give teams a lot of chances. Very disciplined and well coached. Most of the time you need to play your A game because the opportunities will be few.

Reactions: nepsy7
Honestly they should be playing other private schools. I think the issue is that, at least in football, there are just so few privates that could compete with them.

This is actually a much bigger problem in other sports. And its not confined to parochial schools, the charter mess is ridiculous too.

No matter the solution, it will not be palatable with someone. You just cant make everyone happy.

And as I said, the NCHSAA needs to work on stopping the recruiting thats going on at a lot of schools, too.

But heres the bottom line- if you are able to advertise for students, you shouldnt be playing with schools that cant.

Recruiting students but not recruiting athletes is too fine a line for even an honest man to walk.

The schools are just completely different types of schools.

Even if the parochial schools were LOSING, I dont think they should be in the same organization. they are just an entirely different type of school.

However, they are not going anywhere anytime soon. There are more options for the charters (multiplier, move up a class, seperate playoffs), but for example CG is already 4A. Cant move them up.

There may not be an answer honestly.

And this has nothing to do with what Jesus would do. When trying to construct an fair system, just letting someone play to be nice is not how it works.

I respect CG. Watch them play, and you see immediately that they are well coached and disciplined. They get the most out of their kids. The advanteges they and other charter/parochial schools have is impossible to quantify. They are certainly not the only schools with great coaching and facilities. But there is an advantege there somewhere. And while every school isdifferent, these type schools are just so different that they shouldnt be playing in the NCHSAA.

But as I said, I dont see that changing for a long time. And honestly the charters are a bigger issue.
Well said. They are completely different types of schools. Entirely different beast. Too much evidence showing sports domination with the current set up. They need a 5 mile radius for athletes. Any student can attend but to play sports be within a 5 mile radius of the school.

Gorman is a different animal. Using Gorman as a comparison just shows how illogical the detractors are about catholic education. I think I can speak as an insider on this topic just like I can speak as an insider of the Chicago area.

Las Vegas is a completely different population then North Carolina. Catholism <Catholicism> is the largest religious denomination in the area. I think about 50% of the people who claim to have a religious affiliation in Las Vegas are Catholic. Mormons make up the next largest continent and if you add up all of the JV Catholic ( lets call them the Protestants) they are less than 10% of the people who claim a religious affiliation. Sort of like the catholics are in North Carolina.

There are a lot more Catholics, per population in Las Vegas than there is Charlotte. Despite having 3x times the churches as Charlotte they have only six grade schools, Charlotte has seven. Charlotte has two high schools and if you combine their enrollments they would equal Gorman's enrollment. Vegas does not have Private High Schools that play football and most of the private schools are very small and K-12,

In 2007 Gorman support moved from parochial support to endowment type support and they also moved into a 50-60 acre campus and has more 10X financial support from the community than the parishes.

CCHS is a true parochial school, I can not say Gorman is... Gorman has more glitz and $$$$$ than all of the Charlotte privates schools put together. It is not a one side fits all and every dioceses can approach this differently.

Consider this.. if about 20% of every public school is made of catholics in Las Vegas and 60% of students have no religious affliation then who is left to bitch about Gorman like some of the posters claiming to exclude the parachials in North Carolina. I think you got your answer no one important.

Besides the best attorneys in the state's kids all go to Gorman . Saw it on bumper sticker.

Last edited:
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Gorman is a different animal. Using Gorman as a comparison just shows how illogical the detractors are about catholic education. I think I can speak as an insider on this topic just like I can speak as an insider of the Chicago area.

Las Vegas is a completely different population then North Carolina. Catholism is the largest religious denomination in the area. I think about 50% of the people who claim to have a religious affiliation in Las Vegas are Catholic. Mormons make up the next largest continent and if you add up all of the JV Catholic ( lets call them the Protestants) they are less than 10% of the people who claim a religious affiliation. Sort of like the catholics are in North Carolina.

There is a lot more Catholics, per population in Las Vegas than there is Charlotte. Despite having 3x times the churches as Charlotte they have only six grade schools, Charlotte has seven. Charlotte has two high schools and if you combine their enrollments they would equal Gorman's enrollment. Vegas does not have Private High Schools that play football and most of the private schools are very small and K-12,

In 2007 Gorman support moved from parochial support to endowment type support and they also moved into a 50-60 acre campus and has more 10X financial support from the community than the parishes.

CCHS is a true parochial school, I can not say Gorman is... Gorman has more glitz and $$$$$ than all of the Charlotte privates schools put together. It is not a one side fits all and every dioceses can approach this differently.

Consider this.. is about 20% of every private school is made of catholics in Las Vegas and 60% of students have no religious affliation therefore who is left bitch about Gorman like some of the posters claiming to exclude in North Carolina. I think you got your answer no one important.

Besides the best attorneys in the state's kids all go to Gorman . Saw it on bumper sticker.
Not trying to nitpick, but isn't it Catholicism?

Side note: My family is Italian-American, and I grew up Roman Catholic, when I was in middle school we had a talk about attending Bishop McGuiness, but we ultimately decided on staying in our home district to go to Page High. At the time, we had just moved into a new development and our house was a 2.5 miles away from Page, they wanted to send us 10 miles away to NW Guilford. Our neighborhood was allowed to go to Page a year early (freshman year in 2003) before the district lines were redrawn. No buses were sent out. If they had made us go to NW Guilford, we probably would have ended up at Bishop. Looking back, I'm glad we stayed in public schooling. Learned a lot from it not regarding coursework than I probably would have at a parochial.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT