ADVERTISEMENT

Andrews @ Murphy - Week #1

GreyGod623

Nov 24, 2012
The extended offseason from fall of 2019 resulted in some unexpected defections and losses personnel wise for both teams. Before the losses, this was shaping up for a top-3 battle in the SMC. Both teams still have talent, but depth is a definite concern. What are the strengths and weaknesses for each coming into the game? Predictions?

Wow. That’s a pretty long streak. But about what I figured. Does Andrews have a chance to end the streak before they consolidate the school?

Wow. That’s a pretty long streak. But about what I figured. Does Andrews have a chance to end the streak before they consolidate the school?

If they stick together, the 2022 Andrews team should be one of their best fielded HS teams in a long time. Although as seen through history, prior dominance at different levels doesn’t always carry over. I think they’ll be very competitive.

I’ve seen several post over the last few weeks about blow outs week one. I think it would be very foolish to overlook anybody with all the interruptions, altered workouts and personnel changes leading up to this season.

Edit: MBD is right, 2022. Two football seasons in one year is messing with me.

Last edited:
Yes. I agree. I don’t think that football will be very good. I mean I think it will be sloppy. Lots of penalties. Turnovers. Poor special teams. Etc. due to lack of preparations.

Reactions: mbdfan
Does Andrews have a chance to end the streak before they consolidate the school?
2022 will probably be their best shot, Andrews current sophomores will be seniors, they won the SMC in JV last year, so legit talent in that class. They'll be supplemented by what's supposed to be a pretty good 8th grade class for them that will be 10th graders then. Andrews will probably have better skill players than Murphy in 2022 but Murphy's line will be stronger, so we'll see.

Last edited:
Both teams have lots of questions to be answered on offense.
Murphy 31
Andrews 6
Murphy’s offense should be one of the top in the state. Rumfelt has tons of talent to throw to, picking up smith is going to help not just on offense but especially on defense, and that’s just the passing attack, on the running side wood and rathburn will be a force to reckon with, the line will be tough also, some of the sophmores have really grown in the off season.

Murphy 42

Andrews 8

Rumfelt 100+ yards passing
Rathburn and wood 350+ combined rushing

Murphy’s offense should be one of the top in the state. Rumfelt has tons of talent to throw to, picking up smith is going to help not just on offense but especially on defense, and that’s just the passing attack, on the running side wood and rathburn will be a force to reckon with, the line will be tough also, some of the sophmores have really grown in the off season.

Murphy 42

Andrews 8

Will Rumfelt be available for this game?

2022 will probably be their best shot, Andrews current sophomores will be seniors, they won the SMC in JV last year, so legit talent in that class. They'll be supplemented by what's suppose to be a pretty good 8th grade class for them that will be 10th graders then.

Agreed, except this year’s seniors were also great on JV. Then they lost 3 or 4 to transfer and a couple more to focusing on other sports. With 200 students it’s a lot harder to absorb things not going according to plan.

Reactions: mbdfan and Mhsneer
Agreed, except this year’s seniors were also great on JV. Then they lost 3 or 4 to transfer and a couple more to focusing on other sports. With 200 students it’s a lot harder to absorb things not going according to plan.
Yeah Andrew's senior class before the defections was one the strongest they've probably ever had. With Holloway (Rabun Gap), Christenson (Baylor), Rattler (Robbinsville) and Ellis (Towns/basketball) I honestly think they could have given Robbinsville and Murphy a real run for their money this season and no doubt in my mind that they would have beat the other teams in the conference.

The same could be said of Murphy as well in terms of defections hurting them. Remember Murphy won JV that year but the best skill kids from that class (I Smith, Crowder, Schane) either stopped playing or in the case of Isra Smith, just came back out this year.

Of course like you said a school with 450-500 kids like Murphy has a better shot of taking those kinds of blows and still being competitive than a school with 200 kids like Andrews does.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport

Murphy 42

Andrews 8

Smith hasn’t played since JVs. Wood has never started RB at this level. New faces on the line in several spots. Let’s see how the scrimmage goes.

I'd temper expectations on Smith especially, yes he's a legit 6'2 and he can fly and get up but the kid weighs about 150 pounds, it's going to be more difficult for him being that light to make a real impact. It can be done, see Devantae Sudderth in 2010, but just like Sudderth his weight will impede him from being all that he could have been.

If Isra had spent the last 3 years in the weight room you're talking about probably the best skill player in the SMC, a superstar at this level. But that didnt happen so he's not going to be that. I will say that Smith has one advantage over Sudderth in that he knows the game, played it his whole life but he's also not the freak athlete Sudderth was either. Isra is a great athlete at the 1A level but Devantae was a great athlete at any level, Sudderth would've played in the ACC or SEC on Saturdays if his grades had been in order and had more time in the weight room.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I'd temper expectations on Smith especially, yes he's a legit 6'2 and he can fly and get up but the kid weighs about 150 pounds, it's going to be difficult for him being that rail thin to make a huge impact. It can be done, see Devantae Sudderth in 2010, but just like Sudderth his weight will impede him from being all that he could have been.

If Isra had spent the last 3 years in the weight room you're talking about probably the best skill player in the SMC, a superstar at this level. But that didnt happen so he's not going to be that. I will say that Smith has one advantage over Sudderth in that he knows the game, played it his whole life but he's also not the freak athlete Sudderth was either. Isra is a great athlete at the 1A level but Devantae was a great athlete at any level, Sudderth would've played in the ACC or SEC on Saturdays if his grades had been in order and had more time in the weight room.

having to guard both payton and isra opens up opportunities for the both of them. and keep teams honest on defense

Reactions: mbdfan
having to guard both payton and isra opens up opportunities for the both of them. and keep teams honest on defense
I agree but that's not the most important factor here..keeping teams d line and linebackers out of the quarterbacks face is gonna determine a bunch.

Reactions: BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT