ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle turnout

Enrollment gradually drops through the school year. Their football playoff ADM was 409.

Last year 36 students living in the Albemarle districts requested a transfer. One met the acceptable circumstances and the other 35 were turned down. The school board then overruled the correct decision made by the county administration and approved all 35 that were turned down.

The students that were moved to the Albemarle district from the West Stanly district was expected to bring in around 40 students. Less than ten showed up for the 2016-17 school year. The new school board moved the district line back to the previous spot. All but one or two returned to West Stanly.

Some left but a lot have been walking the halls, Lake Man...However I am hearing that the turnout will be good this year..The kids have also returned to the weight room where they have been absent...Also coach Davis has had a full year with the kids..I'm looking for much improvement this coming season..we shall see.

Reactions: ocdavis31
The so called redistricting was a joke from the start but when Melvin Poole went back on the board everyone should have known that he would do everything in his power to put a stop to it.No big surprise but when the new board elected him chairman I threw in the towel.This board is no better than the previous ones and I am even related to one of the members through marriage but I won’t say which one. I’m glad my kids are out of school.

Reactions: sway1532 and btango
The so called redistricting was a joke from the start but when Melvin Poole went back on the board everyone should have known that he would do everything in his power to put a stop to it.No big surprise but when the new board elected him chairman I threw in the towel.This board is no better than the previous ones and I am even related to one of the members through marriage but I won’t say which one. I’m glad my kids are out of school.
The 1A schools need to be combined. School system is broke. Why have 3 small high schools and WS? Albemarle would be better if they closed south and north. Get people back in the stands and supporting the kids.

Reactions: sway1532 and btango
Or send Albemare to North and South to West.

West will grow sufficiently without sending students there and can stand on its own. I would think in ten years the current West district to included the students that have been districted to South Stanly (Oakboro city) would be very comparable in enrollment to the other three being combined and possibly larger. In addition, Albemarle going up Highway 52 is a better option that traveling to West Stanly from the Norwood or Aquadale areas.

North's building is in the worst condition of the three high schools, Albemarle's the best. North is also land locked and is located directly on the highway. Not a good fit. Location wise, if South went to West and AHS to North, New London is the better geographical center but they would need a new high school in a new nearby location.

End of the day, expand Albemarle, rename the school, new mascot, new colors if it is decided that two high schools is the best option for the county educational system

West will grow sufficiently without sending students there and can stand on its own. I would think in ten years the current West district to included the students that have been districted to South Stanly (Oakboro city) would be very comparable in enrollment to the other three being combined and possibly larger. In addition, Albemarle going up Highway 52 is a better option that traveling to West Stanly from the Norwood or Aquadale areas.

North's building is in the worst condition of the three high schools, Albemarle's the best. North is also land locked and is located directly on the highway. Not a good fit. Location wise, if South went to West and AHS to North, New London is the better geographical center but they would need a new high school in a new nearby location.

End of the day, expand Albemarle, rename the school, new mascot, new colors if it is decided that two high schools is the best option for the county educational system

North Stanly and Albemarle are like 5-6 miles apart so I would not get hung up on the geographical center.

The problem is whether the powers in that county to agree to close one of the high schools. A few years ago when there was talk they sold the county on redistricting and Albemarle is now smaller in students than before. Closing talk seemed to upset too many people.

Reactions: Old-A-Dog
North Stanly and Albemarle are like 5-6 miles apart so I would not get hung up on the geographical center.

The problem is whether the powers in that county to agree to close one of the high schools. A few years ago when there was talk they sold the county on redistricting and Albemarle is now smaller in students than before. Closing talk seemed to upset too many people.

If AHS has a 30 day enrollment of 350-375 I wonder if people would realize that the problem is severe?

At that time the talk was AHS would become a magnet school. None of the schools liked it as the other three saw the loss of programs and top students. They will never make people happy by closing schools. It will have to be a loss for all of them to even out the blow.

Only reason for mentioning a "geographical center" was if South merged into West and a new school is built for AHS / North it would be better positioned farther north even past the current North Stanly campus. If the three non West schools consolidate the current AHS campus or an area by the corridor makes sense. Let's face it, the chance of any of this happening is weak at best.

If AHS has a 30 day enrollment of 350-375 I wonder if people would realize that the problem is severe?

At that time the talk was AHS would become a magnet school. None of the schools liked it as the other three saw the loss of programs and top students. They will never make people happy by closing schools. It will have to be a loss for all of them to even out the blow.

Only reason for mentioning a "geographical center" was if South merged into West and a new school is built for AHS / North it would be better positioned farther north even past the current North Stanly campus. If the three non West schools consolidate the current AHS campus or an area by the corridor makes sense. Let's face it, the chance of any of this happening is weak at best.

In regards of dwindling enrollment, most people are probably already alarmed. Those who aren't alarmed either don't care or are in the dark. I just don't think it is in the cards because if a school such as North Stanly or South Stanly closed, I could see another charter school coming in and taking over that campus. The General Assembly loves those charter schools.

If Albemarle is the nicest school why is enrollment so low? Seems like if it was the nicest school you would see increased enrollment.
Blocked on all sides no where to grow. NS school line comes literally within a mile of AHS. There is growth happening in Albemarle but it's just across the NS line. If you look at the district map Albemarle schools have the smallest district by a long shot. Redistricting should have happened a long time ago and still hasn't. Additionally the amount of resources pulled from AHS in the last 6 years is ridiculous which has also caused students to leave.

Blocked on all sides no where to grow. NS school line comes literally within a mile of AHS. There is growth happening in Albemarle but it's just across the NS line. If you look at the district map Albemarle schools have the smallest district by a long shot. Redistricting should have happened a long time ago and still hasn't. Additionally the amount of resources pulled from AHS in the last 6 years is ridiculous which has also caused students to leave.

However we Are steadying out a bit. Things are turning for the better but still a long way to go. We are suppose to be getting some new programs in etc so praying not only for AHS but all of stanly county schools

So it's the district lines and resources and nothing else?

So it's the district lines and resources and nothing else?
Well I would say the early college doesn't help from a athletics perspective but they are allowing them to play at their homeschool this year. So for Albemarle I believe that we have about 50-60 kids over there give or take.

Well I would say the early college doesn't help from a athletics perspective but they are allowing them to play at their homeschool this year. So for Albemarle I believe that we have about 50-60 kids over there give or take.

I think Gray Stone has also hurt enrollment for Albemarle.

I think Gray Stone has also hurt enrollment for Albemarle.
The opening of the middle school has most definitely. But hopefully we can address that and get back on track. Some great programs coming into SCS.

This is a football post and would love to discuss football.

The opening of the middle school has most definitely. But hopefully we can address that and get back on track. Some great programs coming into SCS.

The middle school opening at GSD will make things tougher for the high schools. It dilutes the potential talent pool that can help promote a strong football program.

As far as Albemarle goes, I could see them finishing as high as 4th next season. It's probably going to be a shoot out for 4th with South Stanly. I don't see Albemarle hanging with North Rowan, West Montgomery, or North Stanly for more than a half or 3 quarters. The coach took over a wounded program and has done as much as could be expected his first year. We should see Albemarle back in the playoffs this season.

The middle school opening at GSD will make things tougher for the high schools. It dilutes the potential talent pool that can help promote a strong football program.

As far as Albemarle goes, I could see them finishing as high as 4th next season. It's probably going to be a shoot out for 4th with South Stanly. I don't see Albemarle hanging with North Rowan, West Montgomery, or North Stanly for more than a half or 3 quarters. The coach took over a wounded program and has done as much as could be expected his first year. We should see Albemarle back in the playoffs this season.

I would agree except I am going to put a lot on our weight room training which was a weakness last year. Although we were tougher we still got pushed around a lot. With that being said we return both of our leading running backs and for the first time in a long time these kids have been in the weight room with noticeable gains. Even if nothing changes we will be stronger and faster as compared to last year. And if you give our running backs space they will pick up chunks of yards. In addition to that our numbers as of right now are literally double as compared to last year what that translates to in August we will see. Coach Davis's defense has already proven it can hold teams down and keep us in the game so if we can limit mistakes offensively along with being stronger and faster, I'm thinking it will be interesting.

Coach Davis did what he did last year coming in late with low numbers from the start and in that short period already got our JV going again. I for one am excited to see the improvements.

I would agree except I am going to put a lot on our weight room training which was a weakness last year. Although we were tougher we still got pushed around a lot. With that being said we return both of our leading running backs and for the first time in a long time these kids have been in the weight room with noticeable gains. Even if nothing changes we will be stronger and faster as compared to last year. And if you give our running backs space they will pick up chunks of yards. In addition to that our numbers as of right now are literally double as compared to last year what that translates to in August we will see. Coach Davis's defense has already proven it can hold teams down and keep us in the game so if we can limit mistakes offensively along with being stronger and faster, I'm thinking it will be interesting.

Coach Davis did what he did last year coming in late with low numbers from the start and in that short period already got our JV going again. I for one am excited to see the improvements.

Do you think Davis will open the playbook more this year? I know that the Bulldogs didn't throw hardly at all the last few years, probably due to a lack of depth.

Do you think Davis will open the playbook more this year? I know that the Bulldogs didn't throw hardly at all the last few years, probably due to a lack of depth.

I'm not sure he is a big fan of Bulldog smash mouth football. He lost his top two running backs last year which didn't help. To answer your question I think it depends on the development of the QB position. After last season and seeing the gains in the weight room, I'm excited to see the defensive side of the ball lol. You look at those games last year in conference those losses came very late and due to the offense putting the defense in bad positions on the field or giving up scores with turnovers. We limit those mistakes and get better offensively I think we beat south, not sure if we get over the hump with north Rowan or North Stanly yet but we will be in the game until the final horn. The anticipation around the Bulldogs should be great!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT