ADVERTISEMENT

ADM Numbers

your NCHSAA at its finest.....North Davidson was a 4A school until this year............they will open or already have opened a new school in area but I think upperclassmen were given the option of staying at their old school...so basically the entire football team that played 4A is now a 2A playing school...something is definitely screwy with this..........................

My first reaction was to say I hope you didn't think they should be in the small 2A bracket but just typing that and leaving it might not go over too well.....But I smell what you're stepping in...a question a lot of folks have been asking. I guess I just keep assuming that everybody knows that North Davidson has been a 4A school for many many years and that a new school opened up in the county, that in a couple of years, will drop their enrollment to a level closer to most other 2A schools. Anyway, the realignment for conferences and classifications are done in four year cycles, with the new ones finalized well ahead of time; Fall 2017 is the first year of this cycle, but it was set in stone back in the Spring of 2016 I believe, so remember, the classification you go in (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A), which determines the conference you go in is based on your projected enrollment for two years later.

When the realignment process went into motion, Davidson County knew they were opening Oak Grove High School in the Fall of 2017, and that it would pull students away from North Davidson and Ledford's current freshman and sophomore classes. With that in mind, the projected enrollment they (North Davidson & Ledford) sent the state (not sure if it's projection for 2018-19 or 2019-20 or the four year average from 2017-18 to 2020-21) were just under the cutline between 3A & 2A. It doesn't matter that North Davidson has been 4A for as long as I can remember and that Ledford has been 3A for quite some time, because when the realignment was finalized, and both of those schools will be 2A through the 2020-21 school year (barring some kind of strange change)...It does feel unfair that they are playing varsity sports in a 2A league and playoffs with essentially a 4A junior and senior class....but the state typically doesn't change a team in the middle of a realignment cycle; they knew that North Davidson & Ledford would have 2A numbers by the third year of these conferences and went on and put them in 2A...Now would they have done that if they knew that North Davidson would have 1300 this year? I don't know; they may have known, but I can't help but wonder how many of their 10th graders probably "should" be at Oak Grove but didn't want to leave, and found a way to stay....

If I heard correctly, Oak Grove did open this year with only 9th & 10th grade, playing only JV opponents, and an ADM of 492....I believe they will begin playing varsity opponents next year, when they will have 9th, 10th, and 11th graders, and presume their ADM will be more like 700-800, while North Davidson & Ledford's ADM will probably drop by approximately 75-125 each, for each of the next two years

By the way, ADM is not "Admin" but Average Daily Membership, which is essentially enrollment of students in a school

Great thread and excellent explanation. Here is what I know about the Opening of Oak Grove High School. No option was given to any student in any grade. If you are a current junior or senior, you stayed at Ledford or North Davidson. If you are a freshman or sophomore, you reported to Oak Grove. There are students whose families chose to sell their house and purchase a new house within the new boundaries so that their child legally remain at their original school. If there are students that broke the rules (or creatively got around them), there aren't many (and probably not athletes). ND and LHS are close, tight knit communities. People know where everybody lives. That being said, several have been ratted out and have been reassigned (mostly middle schoolers). I'd encourage anyone who may know of someone out of district to contact the central office so that it can be investigated and corrected.

Last edited:
Great thread and excellent explanation. Here is what I know about the Opening of Oak Grove High School. No option was given to any student in any grade. If you are a current junior or senior, you stayed at Ledford or North Davidson. If you are a freshman or sophomore, you reported to Oak Grove. There are students whose families chose to sell their house and purchase a new house within the new boundaries so that their child remained at their original school. If there are students that broke the rules (or creatively got around them), there aren't many. ND and LHS are close, tight knit communities. People know where everybody lives. That being said, several have been ratted out and have been reassigned (mostly middle schoolers). I'd encourage anyone who may know of someone out of district to contact the central office so that it can be investigated and corrected.
:eek: Ol snap :D

Great thread and excellent explanation. Here is what I know about the Opening of Oak Grove High School. No option was given to any student in any grade. If you are a current junior or senior, you stayed at Ledford or North Davidson. If you are a freshman or sophomore, you reported to Oak Grove. There are students whose families chose to sell their house and purchase a new house within the new boundaries so that their child legally remain at their original school. If there are students that broke the rules (or creatively got around them), there aren't many (and probably not athletes). ND and LHS are close, tight knit communities. People know where everybody lives. That being said, several have been ratted out and have been reassigned (mostly middle schoolers). I'd encourage anyone who may know of someone out of district to contact the central office so that it can be investigated and corrected.
Yes, moving houses is a perfectly legal way to manipulate where you go to school, even before the 2016-17 year when they would make you sit out a year if you changed schools without your address changing

Every school in the county is now 2A except South Davidson....will they redraw district lines to balance things? Of course I can't help but wonder if North Davidson or Ledford or Oak Grove might go to 3A in 2021 though....also, are Thomasville HS and/or Lexington HS part of their own city school districts separate from the rest of Davidson County Schools?

Both North and Ledford will be 3A next realignment. Even their folks will tell you that.

Every school in the county is now 2A except South Davidson....will they redraw district lines to balance things? Of course I can't help but wonder if North Davidson or Ledford or Oak Grove might go to 3A in 2021 though....also, are Thomasville HS and/or Lexington HS part of their own city school districts separate from the rest of Davidson County Schools?

Lexington and Thomasville are separate city school districts.

The way construction has picked back up in this part of the county, I would expect ND to be back to 3A by the next realignment. Ledford is starting out a little smaller, so they may or may not.

ND should have been put in 3A. There is a lot of speculation that the other county schools pushed for the conference they have because ND brings big gates everywhere we go. Most of the places we go in the county, we outnumber the home crowd by a substantial margin.

I don't know all of the mechanics behind the process of setting up the conferences, but I believe that ND's projected numbers 2 years out were very close to the 2A/3A split, and the benefits ($) of a big Davidson County conference put us where we are.

Projected numbers are,for all three schools, (OGHS, LHS AND ND) are around 1000 for each school when OGHS is fully populated. My feeling is that Ledford is growing at a faster rate than the other two, with Oak Grove following slightly behind. 2A is a weird feeling, being 4A for so long. But going 3A, all three schools, wouldn't be a bad thing.

Projected numbers are,for all three schools, (OGHS, LHS AND ND) are around 1000 for each school when OGHS is fully populated. My feeling is that Ledford is growing at a faster rate than the other two, with Oak Grove following slightly behind. 2A is a weird feeling, being 4A for so long. But going 3A, all three schools, wouldn't be a bad thing.
That would make for some very interesting Friday nights around here.

Same for Reidsville from 900 plus a few years ago to 743 this year...................curious how many schools Reidsville size has 45 plus on varsity and 35 plus on their JV team??

Same for Reidsville from 900 plus a few years ago to 743 this year...................curious how many schools Reidsville size has 45 plus on varsity and 35 plus on their JV team??
New charter school is going to affect both Reidsville and Rockingham County.

they've opened a new charter school on U.S. 158 west of Reidsville about 13-14 miles from town...not sure when or if high school students will be taken in to it.................

When Coach Brown was at Tville it was not unusual for them to have 90-100 kids out as a 1A school. Makes it even more sad to see what has become of them...

Back when Hertford Co. was a 3A school in the 90s, the rumor was they had about 200 guys come out one year, and they kept 50 for varsity and 50 for JV....over the last couple of decades, their numbers at the school have dropped them down to 2A for the last two realignment cycles, still a solid program with good athletes, their band is also entertaining by the way

I don't believe ND wanted to be 2A, it sounds like a back door deal with county "estimating" to put them in the CCC.

Opposite of what happened to Mount Pleasant a few alignments ago. Cabarrus County reported the district lines were being redrawn and gave numbers that out MP in 3A and brought Central Cabarrus down from 4A.

I don't believe ND wanted to be 2A, it sounds like a back door deal with county "estimating" to put them in the CCC.

Opposite of what happened to Mount Pleasant a few alignments ago. Cabarrus County reported the district lines were being redrawn and gave numbers that out MP in 3A and brought Central Cabarrus down from 4A.

We all the time post on what is fair. The most fair process for football(it will never happen in this day and age) would be male ADM. Reason I say this is that in many schools in cities there are often more males than females whereas in rural areas there are fairly even or more girls than boys. Just a thought

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT